Menu

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...there's the Bible verse about not dressing like the opposite sex (forget what one it is). Also Gothard (the religious group they belong to) feels that girls hair should be long, flowy, and curly (or something like that), so it may stem from both of those things.

Sorry I'm not being more clear here...I have a terrible migraine. I'll try to look up both references a bit later when my head is cooperating a little better.

There are lots of denominations where the women don't cut their hair. I'm thinking it's based on some new testament verses, but I'd have to hunt it up.

I wonder how they deal with it. :) Mine is very long (waist-length at the moment) and it drives me nuts ... I let it get that long so we can cut it and donate it and start over. I like it somewhat long, though, but never cutting it ... wow, it takes forever to comb out.

I don't know, but the title of your post totally cracked me up!!! :lol:

I'm thinking....is there a difference between, say, Christian hair and Pagan hair? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh!

Oh, and BTW, one of my dds doesn't cut her hair. She gets it trimmed once a year or so, but it's below her waist-line. We are Christians, but that doesn't have anything to do with why dd doesn't cut her hair; she simply likes it that way.

Don't know about the Duggars, sorry.

There are denominations who believe a woman's hair is their crowning glory and therefore do not cut it.

But the Duggars have said the dad simply likes the long hair, so, they all have long hair. Now, if he 'likes' it for Biblical reasons, I have not heard mention of it. I have only heard/read that it is because Jim Bob *likes* the long hair. :)

Also Gothard (the religious group they belong to) feels that girls hair should be long, flowy, and curly (or something like that), so it may stem from both of those things.

I hope your head feels better soon! :grouphug:

So, do they perm their hair? i always wondered because the front sections sometimes look straight (like the new wife's) but the rest is curly, and some of the little baby girls seem to have straight hair. So women (and girls) who follow Gothard just perm it all the time?

Astrid

Well, he may, but on the wedding show, for instance, so many others have similar hair. The new wife, her sisters, etc. Just wondering if it's beyond a personal preference thing--- None of them have straight long hair, all seem to have the same curly long hair.

Astrid

In addition to hair 'being a woman's crown and glory' or whatever the exact quote is, a friend told me she and her dd's never cut their hair because a woman is to look feminine next to a man. She is never to usurp his authority, and this is reflected in how she looks. So long, flowing hair looks feminine next to a man's short hair.

Actually made me laugh because not only do I usually have short hair, I'm also taller than my dh. Does my height diminish my dh's masculinity? Whatever.... Good things come in little packages. ;)

ETA: These friends were not Gothardites; in fact, they disliked him very much.

Janet

Edited by Ishki
add something

Okay, but aren't Gothardites Christian? Just a different sect or whatever, right? It just seems that everything the Duggars do is biblically based, so I was wondering what the basis is for the girls' long, curly hair.

So you're saying it's a Gothardite thing, not a Christian thing, because Christians dont' all sport the same hairstyle, but Gothardites do, correct?

Why?

Astrid (really, I'm just curious; dd has asked me numerous times and I don't know the answer!)

We (as in my family and extended family) don't keep short hair for two reasons: one being short hair is masculine and we feel are role as females is an important one and we shouldn't go around looking or acting like males, that's also why we don't where pants. And another, at least in our Orthodox Faith, not all follow this, is head covering. In some circles having long hair can double for having your head covered. If you have short hair, you need to cover it. We cover for prayer, and prayer should be "unceasing" so we cover all the time. Long hair gets to double as the head covering for some people. but that's just us.

Astrid asked if Gothardites are a Christian sect:

Yes in a round about way. They are not a church...but they will infiltrate churches. They come from various doctrinal backgrounds, but hold to Bill Gothard's view of what a "Christian" should "look like, act like, speak like" etc. Much of it is grounded in the 1950s...and the farther away from fundyism hubby and I get, the more we look at it and say, "that is so isolated to one itty bitty, and generally bigoted, part of history". Gothardism is akin to a social cult. Not kidding. Not poking fun and not laughing. And shunning can/will/has occured as well as bigger people "using" the "peons" in the group and really bad breakups happening when the peons don't just take it from their "authority".

On the hair issue...you aren't required to perm it. However, it is in line with the parts of Scripture where it states that Gd gave women long hair and it's a glory to her.

However, on a cultural/historical aspect...what Gothard considers "long" on men was still considered short throughout history. And personally, if my boys want to grow their hair out native, they are welcome to....but then, I cover my hair, so there's still a difference for me ;)

Edited by mommaduck

But the Duggars have said the dad simply likes the long hair, so, they all have long hair. Now, if he 'likes' it for Biblical reasons, I have not heard mention of it. I have only heard/read that it is because Jim Bob *likes* the long hair. :)

Ugh, to me this is worse! I never, ever in a zillion years would have worn my hair a certain way or dressed a certain way because my dad liked it. That is sort of....ugh, just, ick.

Okay, but aren't Gothardites Christian? Just a different sect or whatever, right? It just seems that everything the Duggars do is biblically based, so I was wondering what the basis is for the girls' long, curly hair.

So you're saying it's a Gothardite thing, not a Christian thing, because Christians dont' all sport the same hairstyle, but Gothardites do, correct?

Why?

Astrid (really, I'm just curious; dd has asked me numerous times and I don't know the answer!)

I Cor. 11: 1-22 is interpreted differently by different Christian denominations (and households... our household differs from our denomination). Here is a basic run-down of the interpretations as I understand them:

1. the headcovering mandate applied at the time it was given, but does not apply any more because the cultural context is gone (temple prostitutes in Corinth used to have long hair without a covering and a covering distinguished a Christian woman from a temple prostitute - this is the cultural reasoning I have heard most often referred to)

2. the headcovering mandate applies to all Christian women at all times because we are to pray without ceasing and are therefore always worshipping, but the long hair itself (given by God as a covering) is sufficient; no additional covering is needed (I think this is the interpretation the Duggars follow)

3. the headcovering mandate requires a woman to have hair in a fashion distinct from a man (usually longer) to distinguish the sexes, but length is determined by the culture the Christian is part of and an additional covering is required during times of formal worship (which different people define differently; we define it as any collection of Christians meeting together for the express purpose of worship where a formal call to worship is offered); this additional covering is required as a recognition of the created order and since the mandate appeals to creation it applies to all Christians at all times and in all places (obviously, this is the interpretation we follow :D )

4. the headcovering mandate requires a woman to have hair longer than a man to distinguish the sexes, but length is determined by the culture a Christian is part of and an additional covering is required at all times because we are always worshiping since we are to pray without ceasing

I hope that was helpful (as I intended) and not confusing.

Edited by Tutor
clarification on #3

So, do they perm their hair?

They do - I saw a recent show where the older girls were giving each other home perms and they calculated how much money that saved them over going to a salon.

I don't know if there's a reason for the perming other than just wanting to look pretty though. :)

I don't know, but the title of your post totally cracked me up!!! :lol:

I'm thinking....is there a difference between, say, Christian hair and Pagan hair? :lol:

Thanks for the laugh!

Oh, and BTW, one of my dds doesn't cut her hair. She gets it trimmed once a year or so, but it's below her waist-line. We are Christians, but that doesn't have anything to do with why dd doesn't cut her hair; she simply likes it that way.

Don't know about the Duggars, sorry.

I was thinking the same thing and giggling... my hair has a definite Pagan vibe going on (like Audrey's avatar, but not green). I don't cut it, but it's because I have a phobia, not for any spiritual / religious purpose.

I like to say that "Christian" should only be used as a NOUN and never as an ADJECTIVE.

Really? Why?

So it's incorrect to say "Christian church?" With the proper adjective "Christian" modifying the noun "church?"

Or in the sentence, "The class was taught by a Christian missionary from Brazil," the word "Christian" should not be acting as a modifier for the noun "missionary?"

Ummm....my apologies. I wasn't aware I was incorrect. And really, I meant no disrespect, if that is what you're thinking. I've just never heard of that rule before.

See....this is why I usually steer clear of this kind of discussion. I'm always misconstrued. I guess I"ll leave any kind of discussion about Christianity (please note that I refrained from modifying the noun "discussion" with a certain word that begins with a "CH.") to those who are qualified to discuss it.

Astrid

I like to say that "Christian" should only be used as a NOUN and never as an ADJECTIVE.
Why is this?

According to the OED, it has been used as an adjective describing a person or community since at least Late Middle English. Other uses are recorded from the mid 16th Century.

In case anyone wants to read the bible verse everyone is making reference to it is I Corinthians 11:14-15

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering."

Keep in mind this verse is not saying that women have to have long hair. It says IF a woman has long hair it is her glory. Also note the context in the begining of verse 14 "the very nature of things...". It is just saying basic human awareness lets you know God has given men testosterone which speeds up hair loss in men. On the contrary, God has given woman estrogen causing our hair to grow longer and for longer time.

In funny terms...God's nifty plan made man to natrually go bald and woman to natrually be beautiful (short and long hair). Rarely do you see a bald woman.

Having said that...I do thank God for the covering of protection he has given us with husbands...which the hair also symbolizes.

Really? Why?

So it's incorrect to say "Christian church?" With the proper adjective "Christian" modifying the noun "church?"

Or in the sentence, "The class was taught by a Christian missionary from Brazil," the word "Christian" should not be acting as a modifier for the noun "missionary?"

Ummm....my apologies. I wasn't aware I was incorrect. And really, I meant no disrespect, if that is what you're thinking. I've just never heard of that rule before.

See....this is why I usually steer clear of this kind of discussion. I'm always misconstrued. I guess I"ll leave any kind of discussion about Christianity (please note that I refrained from modifying the noun "discussion" with a certain word that begins with a "CH.") to those who are qualified to discuss it.

Astrid

I think the examples you gave, Astrid, would be appropriate ways of using "Christian" as an adjective. Personally, I try to refrain from using it as an adjective to describe a practice or tradition (i.e "Christian dress" or "Christian doctrine"). Not because there is not a common history among many Christian faiths (there I go again ;) ) in terms of dress or doctrine, but because there can be so many differences of interpretation, practice, etc between various sects, denominations, or what-have-you that I prefer to clarify whether I am referring to a Scriptural principle vs a personal or denominational practice (and to exercise an overabundance of caution since I don't want to be misinterpreted as speaking for all Christians even though I would assume that most people would know that I can only speak to my own understanding or opinion).

I think saying that "Christian" should never be used as an adjective is too strict. But pointing out that caution should be used when doing so is appropriate.

Edited by Tutor
typo

This is a personal thing I am sharing. People are always describing things as being "Christian" or "not Christian" and it drives me nuts.

For example, I say there is no such thing as Christian Rock Music. There is rock music sung by people who proclaim (maybe true or false) to be following Christ.

Christians use the term Christian this or that to almost give a seal of approval to a person, thing, or event. Well, that's quite a label, IMO! Really? Would Christ have thought so?

Non-Christians often use Christian as an adjective when trying to lump something together that they do not necessarily agree with like "Christian Politics" or "Christian Hair."

I truly believe that Christian should refer only to a follower of Christ (as in the New Testament) and not to label things which in and of themselves cannot possibly be Christ-like.

I will get off of my soapbox now. :001_smile:

This is a personal thing I am sharing. People are always describing things as being "Christian" or "not Christian" and it drives me nuts.

For example, I say there is no such thing as Christian Rock Music. There is rock music sung by people who proclaim (maybe true or false) to be following Christ.

Christians use the term Christian this or that to almost give a seal of approval to a person, thing, or event. Well, that's quite a label, IMO! Really? Would Christ have thought so?

Non-Christians often use Christian as an adjective when trying to lump something together that they do not necessarily agree with like "Christian Politics" or "Christian Hair."

I truly believe that Christian should refer only to a follower of Christ (as in the New Testament) and not to label things which in and of themselves cannot possibly be Christ-like.

Thank you. Your explanation helped clarify your original black-and-white statement, which puzzled me greatly.

astrid

I think it's one thing to have a personal feeling about it and quite another to dictate to everyone else they need to follow your personal feeling. The use of Christian in this thread has not been inappropriate. If one sees a group of Christians behaving in a certain way, or dressing a certain way, it's not illogical to make the assumption that their behavior is indicative of Christians in general. There's no harm in asking about it and I'm fairly sure the question wasn't intended to offend or insult Christians.

I'm fairly conservative and do find things on this board offensive toward conservative Christians quite a bit, but I don't think this particular thread was one of them.

JMO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

Really? Why?

Astrid

Hey Astrid,

First of all, I had never heard the name Astrid in real life until a few months ago. The Astrid that I know is a kind, loving Christian woman who is just a really nice homeschooler. The best of just about everything that I know about her. Her children rise up and call her blessed...and she lives on an organic dairy.

First of all...see how I put "Christian Woman"? I think that's fine. I come from a long line of Conservative Christians... I think this post is interesting:-)

I think the problem is when people start identifying with a person, rather than God. Gothard is scary to me, almost like people tend to drink his Kool-aid. Course, I lived in Texas/Oklahoma when he was popular...There are a lot of verified scary stories out there...

The long hair thing...my daughter partly keeps her hair long because her bio dad loves it ( and sees her 3 times a year when she flies out there) and partly because my husband likes it.

Of course, I keep my hair pretty short. BUT, it's not as short as most of the guys around where I am...and I'm pretty sure Jesus had some LONG hair.... I think it's how you act more than how you dress.... I don't go out of my way to dress like a guy. And, if we're getting to cultural of what guys wore... then where are those guys with long dresses and sandals?

Carrie:-)

Who wants to keep my eyes on Jesus;-)

And one needs to look at the context of Paul's writings. At this time it was the practice of the pagan temple virgins to shave their heads. Perhaps Paul is encouraging Christian women not to emulate the practices of pagans - which the Corinthians seemed to have a tendency to do.

It seems that Paul wants the Christians to identify with something other than the local pagan practices. This is much like I would encourage my children not to do certain things to their bodies or wear certain clothing which have traditionally been identified in our society with paganism or other -isms.

Often, Christians take a principle of scripture and make it a doctrine. It's so much easier to have a checklist that one can follow in order to appear "Godly". But they forget the "heart" of the message and focus on the action.

There's no harm in asking about it and I'm fairly sure the question wasn't intended to offend or insult Christians.

I'm fairly conservative and do find things on this board offensive toward conservative Christians quite a bit, but I don't think this particular thread was one of them.

JMO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

Thank you, Michelle. You're correct--- My question was not meant to insult or offend or hurt anyone's feelings in any way. Really....it wasn't.

Astrid

I was NOT offended by the post in any way. I am NOT telling anyone else what to do or say!

I should have elaborated my point in my first post. I was only taking on the Christian Hair thing because I think it is a classic example of how things THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRIST get turned into "Christian This or That".

The Duggars can do whatever with their hair and it has NOTHING to do with Christianity. That was my point.

I am not making a grammatical argument nor do I care to restrict anyone from continuing to call things Christian. I am only saying that I do not as I think it improperly "labels" them.

What's more, I carry this over to people. When I hear, "Oh, she's dating a Christian guy." I reply with , "Oh, you mean a sinner?"

That's all Folks.

Please, let's not debate this, because it could get nasty. Though I agree with the last bit.

And one needs to look at the context of Paul's writings. At this time it was the practice of the pagan temple virgins to shave their heads. Perhaps Paul is encouraging Christian women not to emulate the practices of pagans - which the Corinthians seemed to have a tendency to do.

It seems that Paul wants the Christians to identify with something other than the local pagan practices. This is much like I would encourage my children not to do certain things to their bodies or wear certain clothing which have traditionally been identified in our society with paganism or other -isms.

Often, Christians take a principle of scripture and make it a doctrine. It's so much easier to have a checklist that one can follow in order to appear "Godly". But they forget the "heart" of the message and focus on the action.

Hmmm...didn't mean for this to come across as nasty.

You didn't, I'm just saying that the debate could lead that way (as in, I can refute some of the common error thought about Corinth...but we don't want to go down that road, because I don't think we need that kind of argument right now)

Edited by mommaduck

I was NOT offended by the post in any way. I am NOT telling anyone else what to do or say!
Really? Because I kind of took "......Christian should never be used as an adjective....." as such. Shrug.

I was only taking on the Christian Hair thing because I think it is a classic example of how things THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRIST get turned into "Christian This or That".

The Duggars can do whatever with their hair and it has NOTHING to do with Christianity. That was my point.

Again, I don't see it that way in the case of the Duggars. I get the feeling that there is a biblically-based reason for EVERYTHIING they do, and wearing their hair like that is no exception. I just wondered (and so did my dd, age 11) whether or not they wear their hair that way because of their religious beliefs. They are Christian. <being careful not to use the adjective form incorrectly here.>

I am not making a grammatical argument nor do I care to restrict anyone from continuing to call things Christian. I am only saying that I do not as I think it improperly "labels" them.

I don't see it as an improper label. Isn't a Bar Mitzvah a JEWISH celebration? Isn't the Bible a CHRISTIAN text? Isn't Solstice a PAGAN holiday? So if the Duggars follow some edict from their religion about their hair, don't they have a Christian hairstyle?

What's more, I carry this over to people. When I hear, "Oh, she's dating a Christian guy." I reply with , "Oh, you mean a sinner?"
Now here I agree with you. It irks me to no end to hear someone described as, for example, "A wonderful mother and a Christian." As if they've got the market cornered on motherhood. When "Christian" is added on to someone or something to make it seem SO much better, THAT bothers me. JMHO, YMMV.

Thanks for your explanation, Dorothy.

astrid

Well, Bill Gothard would like you to BELIEVE there is a biblically based reason for everything he decrees...but, uhm, yeah....

:001_smile: Knowing NOTHING about Gothard, or biblically based reasons for almost ANYTHING that doesn't fall into one of the major "Ten Commandment" categories, I guess I'm just in the dark here! :001_smile:

Is this Gothard man still alive? Is it a relatively new, um, movement?

astrid

:001_smile: Knowing NOTHING about Gothard, or biblically based reasons for almost ANYTHING that doesn't fall into one of the major "Ten Commandment" categories, I guess I'm just in the dark here! :001_smile:

astrid

I went and looked him up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gothard Yeah I know it is wiki but at least it is a place to start :tongue_smilie::D My curiosity finally got the better of me after hearing so much about him here.

Also I really like the name Astrid. It is the name of one of my favourite children's books authors. :001_smile:

Thank you!

I've always really, really liked my name. I was born at a time when there were a ton of girls named Lisa and Jennifer and Donna and Karen, etc. but I was always the only Astrid. My Swedish heritage is very important to me and my name is part of that.

Astrid

Yes, he's still alive. He's an elderly man, never married, never had kids, but king of his empire.

No, it's not a new movement. He started his movement back in the mid 1960s.

Some history and critiques:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gothard

http://www.pfo.org/evol-fad.htm

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/i13.html

http://www.midwestoutreach.org/02-Information/02-OnlineReference/02-UnorthodoxyGuide/105-IKnowSomething/Gothard-IBLP/

astrid

Thank you!

I've always really, really liked my name. I was born at a time when there were a ton of girls named Lisa and Jennifer and Donna and Karen, etc. but I was always the only Astrid. My Swedish heritage is very important to me and my name is part of that.

Astrid

I like unique names :D

Thank you!

Astrid

It's not a common name in Sweden any more either which is a real shame.

I am not a Gothardite but my understanding on this is two-fold.. .

First there is the Old Testament reference to not dressing like the opposite sex, that's Deuteronomy 22:5 as I recall. This reference is cited by some groups as the reason for their dress as well as the reason that they cut or style their hair in certain manners. For some this is tied closely to their feelings about modest dress.

Secondly there are the verses regarding propriety in worship found in 1Cor. Different Christian groups interpret these scriptures in various ways. Some feel Paul spoke in largely a cultural context that does not apply to us today. Others feel mandated to cover their hair with a cloth cover. Still others (and I believe the Duggars fall into this last category) interpret the verses in such a way that long hair on women serves as the aforementioned covering.

I understand why some folks write this off as legalism, I truly do. However I put this in the same category as doctrinal differences in Baptism, Eucharist, etc. I can't wait to meet Jesus some day and see how those little things get sorted out.

I think it is largely the state of the heart that matters most.

I had to read this thread when I saw the subject line. :D

I think this is where people get the impression that it is not biblical for women to cut their hair (I Cor. 11:2-16, pasted from Bible Gateway):

Head Coverings

2Now I commend you(B) because you remember me in everything and(C) maintain the traditions(D) even as I delivered them to you. 3But I want you to understand that(E) the head of every man is Christ,(F) the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and(G) the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5but every wife[b] who prays or(H) prophesies(I) with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same(J) as if her head were shaven. 6For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7For a man ought not to cover his head, since(K) he is the image and glory of God, but(L) woman is the glory of man. 8For(M) man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but(N) woman for man. 10That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.[c] 11Nevertheless,(O) in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And(P) all things are from God. 13Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16(Q) If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do(R) the churches of God.

I don't have time to brush up on this scripture, but I vaguely recall that Paul was addressing some problems in the chuch at Corinth, and in order to fully understand what he is saying, you would need to do a bit of research, and know the context of the passage.

Lori

when my mother attended Wheaton College in the 50s, Bob Jones' daughter lived down the dorm hallway from her. He came to campus to preach once and preached that his daughters never cut their hair. But they did; many of the girls on mom's floor cut and permed each others' hair, and she was one of them. :D

My folks lead a conservative, Christ-centered lifestyle, but my dad likes short hair, so that is what my mom has always worn.

We believe it is an area of doctrinal liberty, but that God often convicts individuals to chose covering for various personal reasons.

Okay, so can someone tell me, and admitted idiot when it comes to these things, what the deal is with the Duggar girls' hair? I'm assuming they don't cut it for some biblical reason, but what is it?

Just curious.....

astrid