Menu

What is your cooking/baking specialty?

I think my specialty is soup. I have some really good soup recipes, and they always seem to turn out really well-- chicken noodle, ham and bean, black bean, chicken tortilla, green beans and ham, stuffed pepper soup, baked potato soup, morroccan stew, vegetable soup, beef and rice, etc. Not the most exotic specialty, but I'm glad to have one. And my dh is proud of my soups, and brags about them to his co-workers. :D

What's your cooking/baking specialty?

My specialty is having awesome friends to copy. No, really, it is. IRL and online :)

So...you'll teach me to make soup? ;)

ETA: I should answer the question! I'm an excellent cookie baker.

Edited by Andie
to answer the actual question

My specialty is having awesome friends to copy. No, really, it is. IRL and online :)

So...you'll teach me to make soup? ;)

ETA: I should answer the question! I'm an excellent cookie baker.

Andie! I am hijacking this to ask you to email me- I have lost your number yet again. You have really been on my mind for a while, and I would really like to touch base with you- please email me, or pm me so I can get your numbers again and give you mine.

I think my specialty is soup. I have some really good soup recipes, and they always seem to turn out really well-- chicken noodle, ham and bean, black bean, chicken tortilla, green beans and ham, stuffed pepper soup, baked potato soup, morroccan stew, vegetable soup, beef and rice, etc. Not the most exotic specialty, but I'm glad to have one. And my dh is proud of my soups, and brags about them to his co-workers. :D

What's your cooking/baking specialty?

I make a wonderful challah- so good in fact that my little sister was supposed to take some to our mama after our family dinner, and she took it home and ate it herself. Now she wants challah for her birthday, lol.

Oops- kids are fighting- will try to come back and add stuff soon.

LB

I make salsa. That people offer me money for. It started off as copying a friend's recipe that I kept playing with to get the right flavor and now have a salsa that people request.

I make homemade frosting and cakes....I did the classes but don't really like all the decorating stuff. My hands get stiff and hurt. So when I do it, I do one and am done for awhile. But my family loves homemade frosting and flowers ;-)

When we want certain kinds of foods I tend to cook in that style until I get dishes we like. So I have all kinds of yummy recipes people know I make...

(It's in my signature line too!) :001_smile:

I make specialty desserts, some for private customers, and for a local restaurant. I don't particularly care to take my extra calories as sweets, so I rarely eat what I make, but I get paid well for custom desserts, and people stop my dh on the street to ask what I'm making now.

When my ds volunteered to bring cake to a class party for one of his community college classes, the teacher mentioned that that would be ok, but what she *really* was craving was this special chocolate cake from a restaurant in town. Ds said, "Really? Is it from _______?"

"Yeah, well my Mom makes that cake for _________, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind making one for me to bring to the party."

Ds got a great grade in that class! ;)

ETA: I also make really good omelettes. Dh doesn't like them, but his brothers ask me to make them omelettes each time they visit.

Edited by Julie in CA

I was going to put soups and breads, but then dh saw this and said "Are you kidding? You are the Pork Queen!" in reference to the fact that when we raised hogs (and ate more than anyone should have to) I actually was able to come up with a different recipe nearly every time I made anything, plus at least a couple dozen sausage recipes (some fresh and some smoked) that, yeah... are kind of out-of-this-world-good.

Quick breads!

I make mini-loaves of banana/banana nut, cranberry/cranberry nut, zucchini, and pumpkin each Christmas. One year I made the mistake of giving chocolate and got told to bring the bread back.

I also make a mean beef stroganoff, and I love making anything "soul food." My ds loves it when I tell him it's "soul food" week. That means there's probably Cajun, Southern, German, etc. all rolled into one week of glorious food... :drool5:

Darn it... now I'm hungry!

I make salsa. That people offer me money for. It started off as copying a friend's recipe that I kept playing with to get the right flavor and now have a salsa that people request.

I make homemade frosting and cakes....I did the classes but don't really like all the decorating stuff. My hands get stiff and hurt. So when I do it, I do one and am done for awhile. But my family loves homemade frosting and flowers ;-)

When we want certain kinds of foods I tend to cook in that style until I get dishes we like. So I have all kinds of yummy recipes people know I make...

We should all contribute to a WTM cookbook. There was a WTM kitchen site. Is it still around?

Oh...and I love to bake bread, also love to roast things in my cast iron pan. To this purpose I am ever expanding my repertoire of "roastable" items.

Favorites that I make *really good* are:

asparagus soup

enchiladas

lasagne

I don't enjoy baking much, though I love to eat what I do bake... actually, I just don't like being in the kitchen! My goal is to get in and get done and get out!

Bee