Menu

Another fashion thread! What say you on the inaugural ball gown?

Okay, I like this MUCH better. Very soft and feminine. Much more flattering in coloring and cut, IMO. But what says the hive?

ETA: However, she does seem to be having issues dancing with that train.

Edited by Hoggirl

Thank you! I JUST found them myself at Huffington Post. I need to check back at cbsnews to see if they're updated.

I'm stunned to find I'm falling for another man. The way our 44th president looks at his wife makes me feel all funny inside. :)

slide_868_15176_large.jpg

What are those? Bows? I hope someone takes her in hand soon. She is way to thin to wear that well. She needs less weighty material.

I think they may be flowers . . . butterflies . . . I'm not sure.

It really is crux of confusion to me. I think Mrs. Obama is so beautiful and I love that she has her own specific style, but the choices have been so . . . off. I wish she'd call me. I think I'd be of great assistance, :D.

I feel like giving it the Cinderella makeover.This dress could have been more flattering to Michelle Obama. I would take off the one shoulder. The dress would look a lot better strapless. The sheer overlay is pretty but the embellishments need to go. The color is pretty on her though and the dress is very feminine.

Sorry about the Cinderella reference I've watched the movie twice this month.

OK, I looked at the dress and here is what I think. She is SO tall and her posture is not the absolute best (I notice she wears short heels so that she won't be taller than Barack...she's sort of hunching down just slightly, too) and she just isn't comfortable in dresses. The gown is pretty enough, but I feel like she's just waiting to get home and put some pants on!! LOL Nothing wrong with that. I just think she needs help and to get used to her professional stature/look. :)

Something that would make her look more slender would be better, a little tighter fit. I agree that it needs another strap on the other side or take the one off. I can't figure out what the "bumples" are on the dress. I felt like she was ready to get out of that dress because it was aggravating to her. Too much of a train for dancing, imho!

Edited by MJN

I think it was her bed spread....

Naw, I'm just being ornery. This is much better than today's morning suit.

OMG, I had to LOLOLOLOL (hope I didn't disturb the kids) when I read this one. I just had a flashback to my grandmother's bedspread back in the 80's. I do believe it had that same type of ornamentation on it! I'm not usually into first ladies and their dresses, but I'm sorry Mrs. Obama's fashions are just ugly to me, but then again a lot of stuff those big time designers make are typically like this.

OMG, I had to LOLOLOLOL (hope I didn't disturb the kids) when I read this one. I just had a flashback to my grandmother's bedspread back in the 80's. I do believe it had that same type of ornamentation on it! I'm not usually into first ladies and their dresses, but I'm sorry Mrs. Obama's fashions are just ugly to me, but then again a lot of stuff those big time designers make are typically like this.

Chenille. It looks very similar to the chenille bedspreads that were popular in the 60s (or earlier).

I think the dress is A LOT better than many things I've seen her wear. I agree that more fabric on top (being thin is nice, but her chest/shoulders looked bony) would have helped to offset the bulk on the bottom.

More important than wisdom in choosing clothing is the wisdom needed in this new job. I am praying that Obama will make good decisions and help our country. I hope this is a good experience for their family, too.

Its so pretty and girly and airy-fairy and she is more handsome and stately. I think the contrast between the two images is not ideal. A column of weightier fabric and more architecture up top would have been my pick for her. In a strong color.

It will look lovely in the Smithsonian though.

The over-the-shoulder thing is too wide, and the skirt's too ballerina-ish.

I do think Michelle Obama is very pretty -- except for the perma-scowl. I've known one or two other people IRL who epitomize the phrase, "Your face will freeze that way!" M.O.'s knit eyebrows always make me think of that. It detracts from her otherwise pretty face and hair. I wonder what skin care products she uses -- she has GREAT skin.

I think she pulled it off. Very pretty, young, soft and feminine. Lovely color. I'm glad she didn't go with something satiny. She has great upper body muscle tone, which the dress showed off.

I do think she would have looked even better with a sleeker number, though. The person who said she is too tall for all that material is right imo.

Still, the dress fit the fantasy moment of it all. She did look like she was dancing with her prince, who is obviously smitten. They are a fabulous looking couple, very romantic. It's so nice to see a long married couple still so in love.

Absolutely HATED it. It was the spitting image of that old 70s bedspread I used to have with the little pompoms on it. She is such a striking woman--and that dress did not one thing for her. Plus, the color made her look much bigger than she really is.

Note to self: If I ever become the first lady and have to dance 10 times on international television, (1) take ballroom lessons, and (2) wear slimming, basic black.

Absolutely HATED it. It was the spitting image of that old 70s bedspread I used to have with the little pompoms on it. She is such a striking woman--and that dress did not one thing for her. Plus, the color made her look much bigger than she really is.

Note to self: If I ever become the first lady and have to dance 10 times on international television, (1) take ballroom lessons, and (2) wear slimming, basic black.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: It reminded me of a bedspread on my grandmother's bed and she goes farther back than the 70s.:001_huh:

I do think Michelle Obama is very pretty -- except for the perma-scowl. I've known one or two other people IRL who epitomize the phrase, "Your face will freeze that way!" M.O.'s knit eyebrows always make me think of that. It detracts from her otherwise pretty face and hair. I wonder what skin care products she uses -- she has GREAT skin.

I have noticed also that unhappy people tend to have that "perma-scowl". I also can tell when older people have spent a great deal of their lives smiling. The lines are different, and much more attractive. My plan is to smile a lot so I will age better. :001_smile:

The fabric was pretty, although hard to see on tv as the camera lights made it all glare brightly. I think in person you'd find the fabric lovely - it had crystals sewn into it - but did no one have the sense to give it a run through to see how it would look on camera? All the details got washed out. Thought the strap was too thick ...and the dress simply too long as it appeared that she had trouble walking/dancing in it a bit. I noticed at one ball she twice gave Obama a "NO!" headshake/finger wiggle as if he wanted to maybe spin or dip her and she didn't want him too (ah, those more nimble husbands in their suits!)

Edited by JFSinIL

I understand the dress I think. It probably looked like the Cinderella option and what else would a woman wear to the ball. However, I can't make up my mind about it.

Regardless, I've never seen a presidential or presidential couple that was so obviously in love and so willing to let us all peek in at it. They aren't afraid to whisper and smile and touch in public and it's a real joy to watch.

As thrilled as I am personally that Obama is president I also think you guys got extremely luvky in terms of your first lady.

r331568671.jpg?x=400&y=272&q=85&sig=boR2MylAHgYqLHHOl3TiYg--

They look almost like pom-pom type thingies. Maybe they are rosettes?

I think Michelle is a very pretty lady, and I don't care for the dress. As you (Chucki) mentioned, she is very slender. I think something with sleek lines would look stunning on her.

She's too skinny, she's too pear shaped.....

Hmmmmm?

Interesting opinions here on this board.

All I can sayis, "Check out those killer arms and shoulders!"

She's got an awesome body!

LOL - this group reminds me of those B list celebrity folk who sit around at the Academy awards and pick at what the A list is wearing.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true.

A bunch of frumpy, broke, miserable homeschool moms criticizing the dress and school choices of the now elite.

Pathetic. This has to be the absolute lowest that this board has ever sunk.

I think she could have done better.

She's such a beautiful and stunning woman and I would love to have her body! I didn't think it did much for her, truthfully. I would have loved to see something a little more fitted and sleek on the upper body and flowing and light on the bottom. It seemed like she was uncomfortable dancing in it and kept just about tripping over it.

Just my humble, non-fashionista, opinion!:001_smile:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true.

A bunch of frumpy, broke, miserable homeschool moms criticizing the dress and school choices of the now elite.

Oh yeah: NOW I remember why I stopped coming here for a while. Yikes.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true.

Well, maybe not THAT harsh...but there sure has been a lot of critiquing here lately. I notice no one has mentioned the way the MEN were dressed...just picking to pieces everything Michelle Obama wears.