Menu

If you are dieting, please post one tip here that is helping you.

I read the YOU on a Diet book by Dr. Oz, and I'm implementing some of his ideas along with Weight Watchers guidelines. This is only my second week, but there is one thing about it that I am really enjoying: He recommends eating the same thing daily for breakfast and for lunch. So for example, I've been having scrambled eggs and a piece of turkey sausage for breakfast, and black bean soup for lunch. I'm finding that it's good for me because too many choices does lead me to overindulge. It's making mealtime more automated, which is what I need because food becomes too important to me generally. Also, it's convenient to make a big pot of soup on Sunday, and then have it every day for lunch.

I'd love to hear any other tips that you all might have to share!

I joined a weight loss competition with some of my friends.

Twelve of us got together, and paid $50 each. We divided into teams, and weigh in every two weeks. The money goes to prizes awarded at the end of the 3 months. Weight loss is measured in % lost, not pounds so it is more fair.

I started losing my focus even though I was in second place. I only lost 2 pounds in the past month, and I slid into fifth place. Boy have I regained my focus.

I've lose 11 pounds and 5.8% of my weight during the most difficult time of the year to diet.

My plan is simply to eat no processed foods or simple carbs and to exercise doing things that need to be done anyway such as walking the dogs and working in the garden.

I'm doing the hcg diet which has a very strict protocol. I find the limited number of foods to be extremely helpful. With this protocol though, you do it for 40 days then take a break where you're not supposed to lose weight (partially because you lose SO much fat weight on the diet so quickly and partially so you don't become immune to the hcg). Some people go to a fairly normal diet inbetween rounds. Others do a lower-fat Atkins version. I was thinking Mediterranean Diet but I'm afraid I might not eat enough to keep my metabolism up.

BTW, after a couple weeks with no salad dressing, I'm almost positive I will never use it again. It's kinda freeing!

Anyway, so I'm looking at this thread for ideas between my hcg rounds.

When I got serious about this, recently, I made 2 changes outside of a bit of exercise... drink 64 oz. water daily (I fail at this almost every day, though) and eat smaller portions and instead of eating 3 times a day, eat about 5 times a day. This keeps the metabolism moving along, keeps the stomach smaller...

But, then dh and I laughed this past weekend when I lost another few pounds... I wasn't exercising and I wasn't following those 2 changes... we called it the "tight budget diet". Finances got very tight and it was more important for my children to eat more at each meal and I ate less. I never starved or hurt fron hunger pain... so it wasn't that bad... but I definately burned more calories than I took in.

Best wishes to you!

I am PG so I can't diet but I am eating slim. I found a recipe for "Sassy Water" in the Flat Belly Cookbook (it touts itself to be revolutionary but it really is just a low carb/and low calorie diet. But, you make a 2 liter pitcher of the Sassy Water the night before. You drink it all day, the next day. Its cheaper than the bottled flavored waters. Its a good reminder to drink your wanter. I think it may have a little appetite suppressing quality to it.

Its

tsp fresh grated Ginger ( I use a jar variety from the Indian market)

12 spearmint leaves. (or to taste)

1 sliced lemon ( I also use the bottled lemon juice

1 half cucumber peeled and sliced

Let soak overnight. Drink during the day.

When I really want to lose weight, seriously, I have an atkins shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I can handle it. I find that if I lose it quickly, then its done and I can maintain.

I lost 55 lbs over a period of around 6 months or so... I wasn't tracking terribly closely, I think the majority came off during a 4 month period with a little more each month and then I've been around the same lower weight for at least 5 months now.

My main weight loss happened because I had to watch my carb/sugar intake, as it was getting out of whack because of my years of poor eating habits. I didn't do a low-carb diet as such. I did learn about different foods and their effect on blood sugar. From there, without doing it intentionally, I ended up eating a lot more foods in their basic form (raw veggies, salads, seeds/peanuts) Fruits were an occasional treat when my body was craving sugar. I'd have an apple, orange, grapes, etc. maybe once daily or every other day. When choosing bread, I would choose the least processed option, within reason. That way my body had to do the work of converting the food into useable calories, instead of having it preprocessed.

I also intentionally cut portion sizes/calories at first, and made sure my meals were balanced. I chose leaner meats, and cut those portion sizes way down. It didn't take long at all, and my body felt the difference. Then, when I would eat things I used to eat... I instantly recognized the way the food made me feel. Something I never realized before. Now I tend to avoid those same foods I loved before because they make me feel sluggish, and it's not pleasant. I'm rarely hungry anymore, and I have to remind myself to eat.

I no longer watch what I eat, but my eating habits have changed so much that I don't seem to have the same problems I did before. And I prefer the foods I eat now, and the old way of eating makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

Not that I don't indulge now and then on something totally unheallthy... I can appreciate a random calorie/sugar/fat laden processed meal. But it doesn't take more than a few bites for me to feel satisfied with my indulgence, and I don't even *want* to finish it.

Long story short, the most helpful thing for me, was to choose foods that were closest to their natural form, and to cut down as much as reasonably possible on sugar and simple carbs... including a serious limit on fruits with a high sugar content. (Even some veggies with high sugar content were temporarily eliminated, like corn and carrots).

It's easy to follow and I'm NEVER hungry. Phase 1 is hard but after 2 wks of that Phase 2 is an easy lifetime meal plan.

I eat eggs every morning with different veggies and cheese in them. Almost every lunch I have a salad with different stuff in it (chicken, avocado, tuna, Canadian bacon, hard boiled egg, etc. for protein) with olive oil/cider vinegar dressing (or lemon).

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/how.html

I'm doing Weight Watchers, but was having a horrible time fixing a breakfast for me and a breakfast for my dd's (they would eat scrambled eggs, but not the scrambled egg whites w/ no-fat cheese and broccoli that I ate). Where I would fix them cheese sandwiches with fruit for lunch, 2 pieces of bread is a lot of points for me. This went on for snacks, lunches....ALL DAY.

So, I stocked up on EASY things that I can eat. WW snacks. WW frozen dinners. WW frozen breakfasts. And other similar stuff.

It lets me fix them a snack, chop fruit that we all eat, etc... and I can pop mine in the microwave.

In the long-term, I hope to fix us the same healthy meals that we will all eat. But, healthy for my kids (thin, active, no need to watch anything in the way of calores ) is different for me.

I signed up for sparkpeople. I like being able to track what I'm eating, eat a more balanced diet and get a realistic idea of an appropriate portion. One thing that sparkpeople has made me do is eat a full breakfast. I have my dd on the same food plan (I signed her up for sparkteens, and compared the meal plans--same caloric intake for us both), so it's easy to prepare meals for us both.

Water, water, water...I loosely follow a WW plan so I indulge in bunches of water. A squeeze of lemon or lime really perks up my glass. I also find that drinking with a straw increases my intake...especially in the winter when cold water bothers my sensitive teeth more.

Fresh veggies and fruit...if I divide my plate into halves, one half is filled with salad, veggies, and fruit. A fourth-ish is protein and a fourth-ish is healthy carbs. I love making great salads topped with proteins, veggies and even fruit. We love a spicy marinated feta purchased locally that adds zip to our leafy greens. The toasty goodness of walnuts, pine nuts, or almonds adds flavor, too.

It is good when I add whole grains to my diet, but I slide on this too much.

Two other things that help...we have a set of vintage plates that are smaller than most of today's dinnerware. It helps to see a 'full' plate.

I try not to have anything after 7:00pm. Eight at the very latest. I sleep better and it gives my system some time to rest.

I eat either a salad or soup with lunch and dinner, and add more vegatables than anything else to the entree. So, if we are having pasta w/ chicken, I take only a very small amount of past and chicken, but mix in a ton of either broccoli or peas, and I do that with everything, so I'm full.

Also, I drink A TON of tea throughout the day (usually green) to keep me from wanting to snack.

My main tip: cutting waaayyyy down on my portion size.

I've done WW, Slim-fast, etc. in the past but they usually leave me dreaming about food all day. Well, I know I want to weigh 140 lbs., per my doctor's advice, and I try to eat like someone who weighs 140. By cutting down I am able to eat along with my family but just really limiting my portions. I am also trying to drink lots of water each day.

I'm also trying not to eat after 8 pm at night and, with my joining the reading challenge, I try to get away from the kitchen at night and read. So far, I'm down about 8 lbs.

I am back on Sparkpeople. Each morning, I plan out my meals for that day. Actually, I plan my meals before I go grocery shopping and then pick from what my choices are for the day - if that makes any sense. Yesterday, I knew we would be eat at the mall for lunch. I planned for it and had a light dinner. If I don't do this in the morning, I will eat whatever, whenever. I also plan my snacks. I love sweets and if I don't have a clear plan as to what I can snack on - I will grab a piece (more like several pieces) of chocolate. I am also taping shows to my dvr that I enjoy, but don't seem to have time for. I make the time to ride my exercise bike while I watch my show. I am also playing Wii with the kids at least a few nights a week. We will do more when we get our hands on a Wii Fit. It has only been a week and I have lost about 2lbs. So far, so good - I think.

Two things I wanted to add: First, I do drink green tea all day long. It's supposed to boost metabolism and it's high in antioxidants, which is good for me since I had cancer a few years ago.

Second, I have one day out of the week where I am not as diligent. Meaning, while I still am conscious of portions, I allow myself to indulge a bit. For me and my dd, it's Sunday. We still have the breakfast Sparkpeople meals suggests, but we normally eat out for lunch and then have sort of a snacky-type dinner. I find that this keeps me from any feelings of deprivation and I feel like a regular person, in control of my own food intake, instead of the meal plan being in control of me.

These are just the changes I've made that are making a difference, not based on anything (no books or programs). I've said goodbye to soda completely and replaced it with V8 Fusion (2- 8oz. glasses = 1 day's fruits & veg.), Fuze Vitamin drinks or water, only 1 glass of sweet tea a day, 2 cups of coffee, and SlimFast 1x/day.

For meals I eat a fruit or veggie, smaller portions of meats & breads. I snack in-between meals with light yogurt, WheatThins with Laughing Cow Swiss (very filling and yummy) or fresh fruit. I've cut bread out dramatically but give myself a 'treat' once a day, whether it be an apple danish or chocolate bar. Breakfast is now either a Slimfast, Quaker's Weight Control Oatmeal or other healthy cereal with a banana.

My total lifestyle has changed, I'm working nights so I'm not sitting down to a home-cooked dinner every night so I can customize my own dinners from work (grocery store). I have two dinners that I typically eat when I'm at work:

5 Chicken fingers from deli

Fresh fruit (grapes, apple, or what is appealing)

Fuze vitamin drink or orange juice

or

Turkey/Swiss sub (no condiments just lettuce/tomato, smaller than 6")

Trail Mix (fruits & nuts)

Fuze vitamin Drink

I've realized that I can make healthier choices without having to follow a 'plan', dd8 and I are about to have salads and yogurt for lunch and do some kickboxing. ;)

Evergreen,

you can get more information from the book at http://www.hcgdietinfo.com/Dr-ATW-Simeons-Pounds-and-Inches.htm (it's free online).

Basically, you use hcg (as in what pregnancy tests detect), in oral or injectable form, to burn 1500-4000 calories per day. You eat a very low calorie diet during this time but are not hungry because your body thinks it's getting at least a normal amount of calories. Men lose about 1 pound per day. Women 1/2-3/4 of a pound per day.

For a lot of information, you might check out this website: http://www.hcgweightsolution.com/

Recently Kevin Trudeaux (though he has a bad rep) wrote a book called Weight Loss Cure about this protocol. He has added to it which the website above subscribes to. Many people just stick with Dr. Simeon's way.

As you research, you may see information saying that hcg is illegal (ack, every pregnant woman in the country is breaking the law!). It is not. It just is not FDA approved for weight loss.

Anyway, some people use a doctor and others do it themselves.

I have been on WW with little success and Slim Fast. I tried herbal diet pills briefly but don't trust that stuff as far as safety since they don't go through the same FDA regulations as regular meds.

Now I have learned to cut out the things that I'm weak for such as sweets and breads. ..tons of carbs!

I've lost ten pounds after a set back a few months ago. Now I just need to add in some activity. I have tons of exercise videos that are now calling my name.:D I can't wait for Spring so that we can get outdoors more than we have been able to now.

I have been on WW with little success and Slim Fast. I tried herbal diet pills briefly but don't trust that stuff as far as safety since they don't go through the same FDA regulations as regular meds.

Now I have learned to cut out the things that I'm weak for such as sweets and breads. ..tons of carbs! Eat more veggies and drink more water. Water burns calories in itself and is a water detox agent. I love my purifier.:)

I've lost ten pounds after a set back a few months ago. Now I just need to add in some activity. I have tons of exercise videos that are now calling my name.:D I can't wait for Spring so that we can get outdoors more than we have been able to now.

I don't keep snacks in the house. If it's not there, I can't eat it. :)

I don't do much baking with the kids and the things we do cook are healthier (low-fat blueberry muffins instead of chocolate chip cookies).

I don't deny myself. I found out over the years that strict dieting doesn't work for me. If I want a cheeseburger, I have one - but not every week. I will eat a slice or two of pizza - but I don't gorge myself on it because I know I can eat it and not feel guilty, if that makes any sense.

I cut back on trips to the coffee house; now I only go a couple of times a month instead of a several times a week. And I order my drink non-fat and no-whip, and I can't tell the difference.

I plan meals for each night of the week and I shop once a week. No more excuses for hitting the drive-thru or the take-out place.

I eat off of a smaller plate. The same portions of food look bigger on a smaller plate, which makes me think I'm eating more than I am.

We found out that our son is sensitive to food dyes and artificial colors, so we avoid a lot of processed foods. Which means fewer calories and less sugar.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day. It was an acquired taste, and I'm glad I decided to do it because it keeps me filled up for a long time. This is important for me because I used to forget to eat and then get so ravenous that I filled up on whatever was handy or quick to fix -- usually something high-fat, low-fiber, and high-calorie.

Edited by RoughCollie

I read the YOU on a Diet book by Dr. Oz, and I'm implementing some of his ideas along with Weight Watchers guidelines. This is only my second week, but there is one thing about it that I am really enjoying: He recommends eating the same thing daily for breakfast and for lunch. So for example, I've been having scrambled eggs and a piece of turkey sausage for breakfast, and black bean soup for lunch. I'm finding that it's good for me because too many choices does lead me to overindulge. It's making mealtime more automated, which is what I need because food becomes too important to me generally. Also, it's convenient to make a big pot of soup on Sunday, and then have it every day for lunch.

I'd love to hear any other tips that you all might have to share!

I think the best tip is to NOT diet. I've been steadily losing weight since last May, when I started exercising regularly (6-7 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes a day, and generally an hour a day) and watching what I ate ala Sparkpeople. I do not deny myself any foods but watch portion size, calories (generally, I haven't logged food for quite a while) and veggies. I made a lifetime change and while the weight hasn't come off quickly (13 kilos since last May), it has not come back either.

Second, I have one day out of the week where I am not as diligent. Meaning, while I still am conscious of portions, I allow myself to indulge a bit. For me and my dd, it's Sunday. We still have the breakfast Sparkpeople meals suggests, but we normally eat out for lunch and then have sort of a snacky-type dinner. I find that this keeps me from any feelings of deprivation and I feel like a regular person, in control of my own food intake, instead of the meal plan being in control of me.

:iagree:

I do this too. If I have to give up Five Guys completely, I will never stick with it.

If you're eating in a restaurant, go ahead & ask for a take-out container when you place your order. As soon as your food arrives, put half in the take-out container.

Also, I quit eating so much cheese. I'm a vegetarian (who does eat dairy & some fish), but I had terrible eating habits, including eating a lot of cheese (filling & easy).

And, to echo what others have already mentioned:

Toss any 'bad' foods/snacks you have sitting around. Don't buy more.

Drink lots of water.

Use smaller plates.

Take your time when eating. Eating slowly gives you time to realize you're full.

I'm not qualified to answer Erica's post, but it drew my attention because I truly do feel for the many people in this country who are perpetually dieting. And yet, despite the obsession with diet trends, we remain an unhealthy, overweight population. When one goes to other countries (I'm referring to other industrialized nations), the mantra is never "no sweets/no snacks/tons of water/low carb/more of this/less of that" and so on and so on. The concept of "dieting" is in an of itself an anomaly in many other places ~ including places where people thoroughly enjoy good food and drink. That leaves me to believe that lack of activity and reliance on highly-processed foods are two of deadliest sins (so to speak).

Hivers, I've lost 28lbs since September 08. I have another 35 to go.

I'm using the "Eat to Live" idea of lots of greens, legumes and fruits. Knowing what to eat is much different than having the will-power to not eat the things I shouldn't.

So, my best tip for those of us who profess a personal, loving relationship with Jesus is this . . .

I remember all day, everyday that Jesus lives in me. My physical body is His Dwelling Place, His Temple, His Joy, His Place to work out His Plan through me, and so when I'm confronted with the over-eat, unhealthy food choices than I speak this little mantra: Will this food choice protect the God in Me?

The focus immediately returns to relationship with God and the spiritual/emotional/food connection. It has fundamentally changed my relationship with food.

Tricia

I give into my cravings in moderation of course. I can have a couple ounces of coke and dump the rest or have couple bites of a milky way bar then throw it away or if the kids are with me share with them. It keeps me from wanting to have it all because I deprived myself. It's also good to teach children to keep things in moderation.

Eat cleaner and eat more often! I don't let myself get hungry, and pack food whenever I leave the house.

Eating cleaner:

1) Eliminate white sugar and artificial sweetners. Use succanat, honey, or maple syrup instead - in small amounts!

2) Eliminate white flour and use only whole grains.

3) Eliminate processed foods -- these are filled with salt, hygrogenated oils, saturated fat, and preservatives! Yuck. The last-minute fast fixes must be eliminated through better planning and shopping.

4) Give yourself time and the palate will adjust to the new changes. It is ok for sweet potatoes to taste like sweet potatoes - not marshmallows and salt! When I stopped sweetening and salting, our palates adjusted.

5) I don't like to menu plan and make grocery lists, so I use preplanned ones. I like Saving Dinner, and it sets me up for success. I have a pre-done grocery list with a week of menus, and I can spend my time cooking and enjoying the food, rather than planning.

Ok -- this was more than one! A real key is that you have to be willing to do what you don't want to do for a while. Eventually it gets easier as your tastes change. Set up your environment for success by purging all junk food.

One resource that has helped me immensely is Clean Eating magazine. At times, I use the menu plans to jump start my nutrition without having to plan or obsess. Clean Eating has done the work for me, and the plan is healthy and nutritious. There is a book version called the Eat Clean Diet (not really a diet!).

Using Eat Clean principles, I have gotten down to 27% body fat and lost 55 pounds without ever being hungry or having to count exchanges/calories. I still have a ways to go, but I am making progress.

You can do it, too!!!

Edited by Tami

I can't exercise because of an injury and I'm trying to heal. So to maintain a healthy weight, I try to eat fruits and vegetables and take my vitamins. And I stay away from sugar as much as I can. I allow my self a few sweets, but only a few items that will satiate my sweet tooth without packing on the pounds.

If I start to exercise now, I might prolong this injury. So my suggestion is to avoid junk and eat only real foods.

I think the best tip is to NOT diet.

Yep. It really does boil down to something as simple as regular exercise and eating in moderation (i.e. PORTION CONTROL) - burn more calories in a day than you consume if trying to lose weight. Another key is choosing to eat healthy (as in making sure calories are not "empty"). For me that translates to lots of veggies and a balance of protein/"healthy" carbs.

Personally, when attempting to lose unwanted poundage, I also ascribe to the "grazing" modus operandi (eating more frequent, smaller meals as in 200-300 calories every 2-3 hours for a total of 6 times/day) rather than 3 larger meals/day. Our bodies were created to digest things more readily when we don't gorge. :-P

so when I'm confronted with the over-eat, unhealthy food choices than I speak this little mantra: Will this food choice protect the God in Me?

I have to ask what this means. As I understand God, he certainly does not need protection from me, or my food choices. Can you clarify what you mean - PM is ok if you prefer. I'm curious and have never heard this before.

I'm not qualified to answer Erica's post, but it drew my attention because I truly do feel for the many people in this country who are perpetually dieting. And yet, despite the obsession with diet trends, we remain an unhealthy, overweight population. When one goes to other countries (I'm referring to other industrialized nations), the mantra is never "no sweets/no snacks/tons of water/low carb/more of this/less of that" and so on and so on. The concept of "dieting" is in an of itself an anomaly in many other places ~ including places where people thoroughly enjoy good food and drink. That leaves me to believe that lack of activity and reliance on highly-processed foods are two of deadliest sins (so to speak).

Plus, I think, we don't always think of food as a pleasure, but fuel. If food is pleasing, tasty, prepared well and attractively presented, it is more satisfying. I love, love, love the French mantra of 'Lunch is sacred.' I believe if lunch and dinner were all about connecting with family or friends and less about eating in front of the TV, we'd be slimmer, too.

I have to ask what this means. As I understand God, he certainly does not need protection from me, or my food choices. Can you clarify what you mean - PM is ok if you prefer. I'm curious and have never heard this before.

First, LOVE your tips above. I have The Eat Clean Diet book and I agree with all of your suggestions about getting rid of process, refined, white, sugar!

About my little mantra and explaining more fully what I mean:

God tells us over and over again that our body is His Temple, His Dwelling Place, His Vessel. Whenever I made poor food choices, I did the bad-girl thing, felt guilty and ate more, needed comfort for my guilt-wracked eating and ate more. Endless cycle of food crazy. Pushed me up and over the 215 lbs mark. I was losing the fight; spiritually, emotionally, physically.

This little mantra I use now, when it comes to food decisions, helps balance me, dampens the "in-the-moment" crazy of wanting food more than anything else. Sometimes I can't make the right choice for my own good benefit, but for this Amazing, Life-Giving God??? I want to protect Him in Me when it comes to food. Will this meal, food, drink, snack protect and honour My Awesome God who has taken up Residency with Tricia. When I mess up, which I invariably do, I sense Him telling me that it's ok . . . He doesn't need my protection, but He loves it. It's like honouring a dear friend.

This "God In Me" idea both encourages me to do the right thing but when I don't, I know that God doesn't need me to protect Him. When I've turned to food instead of God for comfort and make poor choices that really have nothing at all to do with food or hunger, I know He continually loves me in spite of my weakness but I think it grieves His Heart when I don't turn to His Comfort.

I use this little mantra to remind myself that making good choices honours God with everything I've got . . . it's a whole life of loving, honouring, respecting this Amazing God that I know and love. My greatest sin against God is not turning to Him when I need Him most; hiding behind my independance and stoicism . . . this one little battle against food is one way for me to honour the Unconditional Love and Grace that lives in me. He doesn't need me to do anything except recieve His Grace and Goodness, but I think somewhere, deep in His Heart, winning this battle against food pleases Him. He so badly wants the best for His Girls, for His Kids. . . for me, it's about food, but not really, right?

I'm sure this is clear as mud . . .

Warmly, T

Thankfully, I am pretty sure my God likes steak.*wink*

The keys for me and my body are fat and protein. Portion control, too many grains (even whole grains), volumetrics, low fat products are not a match for me. I did WW a few years ago, stayed on plan eating mostly whole foods.....I was a miserable, shaky wreck.

Unlimited animal protein and non starch veggies are the best eating style for me. The fat satiates me, the protein sustains me and the veggies nourish me.

I choose my "cheats" carefully such as one piece of dark chocolate vs. A handful of cheetos.

Lots of water doesn't work for me either since I never get passed having to pee constantly; I have that issue anyway.