Menu

Update in new post: Improving gum health

kbutton

Posted (edited)

I have good dental hygiene and floss, but my gums have been inflamed on and off for a while, and I am coming up on a dental visit. Help! Anyone have tips for me? I am extremely dentist averse, and I want to avoid corrective measures at the office.

It kind of got worse when I had pneumonia—I had a film on my teeth that would not go away. It’s gone now, but it seems to have really provoked something that won’t quite quiet down all the way.

I have non-trivial barriers to using a waterpik that affect my mental health and my attitude toward/respect for others in my household that I don’t want to get into. Any use of it is likely to be temporary until my gums calm down.

Other ideas? Specific mouthwashes? I can’t do oil pulling (is that still a thing?)—it will make me sort of gag (except I can’t actually vomit easily, so accidentally inhaling the oil is more likely!).

Edited by kbutton

Posted (edited)

An electric toothbrush and Listerine Total Care Zero Alcohol mouthwash greatly improved my gum health.

(ETA: Along with continued regular flossing, of course.)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In addition to using a manual toothbrush and flossing,  I use one of these along the gum line and down the joins between my teeth.

5 Pcs Interspace Toothbrushes, Single Tufted Toothbrush End-tuft Tapered Toothbrush Orthodontic Interdental Brushes Gap Toothbrush, Tuft Toothbrush, for Dental Cleaning https://amzn.eu/d/0gv02FTR

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

5 Pcs Interspace Toothbrushes, Single Tufted Toothbrush End-tuft Tapered Toothbrush Orthodontic Interdental Brushes Gap Toothbrush, Tuft Toothbrush, for Dental Cleaning https://amzn.eu/d/0gv02FTR

Oh, that’s interesting!

Do you know if these have the same function as floss brushes/interdental picks? Assorted options here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dental+flossing+brushes&adgrpid=63827123505&hvadid=651161807260&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9015622&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14429347631771641715&hvtargid=kwd-317951608715&hydadcr=19706_13507854&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_7vg8uukn4z_e

I have thought of the floss brush type things as being for braces or people who struggle with actual floss (holding it, etc.), but seeing something similar with a toothbrush handle vs. a little pick actually makes me rethink the whole idea of using something like this myself. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Oh, that’s interesting!

Do you know if these have the same function as floss brushes/interdental picks? Assorted options here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dental+flossing+brushes&adgrpid=63827123505&hvadid=651161807260&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9015622&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14429347631771641715&hvtargid=kwd-317951608715&hydadcr=19706_13507854&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_7vg8uukn4z_e

I have thought of the floss brush type things as being for braces or people who struggle with actual floss (holding it, etc.), but seeing something similar with a toothbrush handle vs. a little pick actually makes me rethink the whole idea of using something like this myself. Thanks!

They don't go between the teeth - Instead they give a further clean to the wider groove between the teeth as well as along the gum line. My dentist is very pleased. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Laura Corin said:

They don't go between the teeth - Instead they give a further clean to the wider groove between the teeth as well as along the gum line. My dentist is very pleased. 

I wasn’t sure if the little picks did both between teeth and what your tool of choice does. At any rate, your brushes are now in my cart to try. 

• Like 1

1. Are you already using an electronic toothbrush? 

2. Mouthwash—Biotene makes a special one if you are prone to dry mouth

3. biofilm removal is a thing hygienists can do as a medical treatment. They can airpolish your teeth with a low abrasion powder before doing the traditional cleaning. If you get the biofilm again, I’d be seen.

4. Lots of people have dental anxiety. Sedation dentistry is on one end of extreme, but you can also have oral antianxiety medication prescribed. Dental care is medical care, and if you need support to access it, it’s ok.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

1. Are you already using an electronic toothbrush? 

2. Mouthwash—Biotene makes a special one if you are prone to dry mouth

3. biofilm removal is a thing hygienists can do as a medical treatment. They can airpolish your teeth with a low abrasion powder before doing the traditional cleaning. If you get the biofilm again, I’d be seen.

4. Lots of people have dental anxiety. Sedation dentistry is on one end of extreme, but you can also have oral antianxiety medication prescribed. Dental care is medical care, and if you need support to access it, it’s ok.

1. No. They always say my teeth are very clean. I’m not a fan of vibration (it makes me feel ill). I am not sure I can deal with holding it AND having it in my mouth. 🤮 Vibration can flare my MCAS.

2. Nope. lol! I have a drier mouth, and I like it that way. DH has always had a very wet mouth. He doesn’t now due to medication, and even he found the biotene to be awful. Will try the no alcohol Listerine though.

3. Cool! Never heard of it.

4. Have used meds for fillings. I would prefer to not have to need a deep cleaning. Anxiety meds also can’t undo the trauma of having very mild dental issues treated like moral failures, being berated by dental professionals, having hygienists describe the type of cleaning that needs to be done if I have gum issues as a terrifying horror story, etc. (always hygienists). Lots of damage done.

• Sad 7

My mom struggled with gum health and one thing her endodontist said was to brush your teeth and spit most of the foam out, but don't rinse for 5-10 minutes. He said the active ingredients in toothpaste need time to work, but we usually rinse too quickly to get the full benefit. He might have told her to use a specific kind of toothpaste, I can't remember.

Also, have you tried salt water rinses?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

An electric toothbrush and Listerine Total Care Zero Alcohol mouthwash greatly improved my gum health.

(ETA: Along with continued regular flossing, of course.)

I use a Sonicare toothbrush and the equivalent Walgreens brand mouthwash routinely, but when I have inflammation, I use use Peroxyl

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Oil pulling helps remove bacteria from teeth/mouth, and from what I'm seeing, it also supposedly reduces gum inflammation and gum disease.

Every other day or so, gently/slowly swirl/swish about 2 tsp. of coconut oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes first thing in the morning. Spit it out into the garbage, NOT the sink (oil clogs drains). Do not swallow, as the oil is now filled with bacteria. I usually rinse with water afterwards, as I'm not the biggest fan of the taste of coconut oil. You could use another oil, such as olive oil, if you prefer, but coconut oil also supposedly has some healing properties.

ETA
Also, when brushing your teeth, gently brush your gums, the roof of your mouth, your tongue, and under your tongue. Gentle brushing of gums is like massage and stimulates good blood flow in the gums, while brushing the other parts of your mouth scrapes out a lot of bacteria that causes plaque.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgo95 said:

Also, have you tried salt water rinses?

I did last night, but I think it wasn’t enough salt. I was in a hurry.

@Lori D., I can’t do oil pulling. It makes me gag/choke and possibly aspirate because I have a hair trigger gag reflex but can’t quite actually gag (it’s strange!). I do brush other parts of my mouth.

I dont understand why they would recommend scaling or deep cleaning if your teeth are in fact “very clean”. If your gingivitis is plaque-induced, yes, address the hygiene….but there is a small subset of people whose gingivitis is not hygiene induced, but instead is autoimmune in nature. Lupus flares can happen in the mouth, and sicca syndrome wrecks hell on teeth. I’d also look at contact allergies in the mouth (SLS sensitivity, oral allergy syndrome, food allergies). Don’t put up with shaming and fear mongering from dental professionals; switch if necessary.

I understand the sensory aspects. Have you tried oral desensitization techniques like deep touching before brushing? I still have one who cant tolerate a vibrating toothbrush, but it did help two others. For people our age that can look like washing our face and massaging in wrinkle cream in a firm way, and then brushing our tongue and roof of our gums with a regular toothbrush before using a sonic one to clean. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I dont understand why they would recommend scaling or deep cleaning if your teeth are in fact “very clean”. If your gingivitis is plaque-induced, yes, address the hygiene….but there is a small subset of people whose gingivitis is not hygiene induced, but instead is autoimmune in nature. Lupus flares can happen in the mouth, and sicca syndrome wrecks hell on teeth. I’d also look at contact allergies in the mouth (SLS sensitivity, oral allergy syndrome, food allergies). Don’t put up with shaming and fear mongering from dental professionals; switch if necessary.

Agree. The little interdental brushes are what my dentist wanted me to use for my gums. My mouth has gotten drier recently and he thinks that’s behind the tooth issues. Maybe you can just drink water frequently? Can you tolerate xylitol? If so, you could have some xylitol mints or gum to keep things moist and kill the bad bacteria. I also agree you shouldn’t put up with being treated that way at the dentist. I’ve had some bad ones and just a few good ones, but it’s worth switching to find a kind, gentle dentist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand the sensory aspects. Have you tried oral desensitization techniques like deep touching before brushing? I still have one who cant tolerate a vibrating toothbrush, but it did help two others. For people our age that can look like washing our face and massaging in wrinkle cream in a firm way, and then brushing our tongue and roof of our gums with a regular toothbrush before using a sonic one to clean. 

I suspect mine is at least partly hormonal. I read that gum issues around menopause are not unusual.

It’s not so much a sensory issue with vibration, I don’t think. It feels almost like a dysautonomia for lack of a better explanation. I can get migraine-like symptoms from it. I have gotten used to some kinds of vibration, such as using the mower, but the mower is heavier, and I think the vibration is less pinpoint.

I have a new dentist (only one visit for me, a couple for my son). It’s something like my fifth dentist (one practice had two great dentists, but one was always off with the National Guard, so I constantly had a sub, and the other couldn’t do fillings that don’t fail, which heightened my anxiety when I had to have so many redone). No one has threatened a deep clean here, but I’ve been told in very scary terms that’s next from hygienists two dentists ago. Last time I went, my gums were mildly and unusually inflamed, and right now, they are pretty angry, and it’s been on and off since I had pneumonia. I have a few borderline pockets (they checked when I switched), but nothing major. I’m afraid if I am “caught” with inflamed gums twice, I will be viewed poorly. The last couple of months have been an anomaly—every time they calm down, they get set off again.

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

Agree. The little interdental brushes are what my dentist wanted me to use for my gums. My mouth has gotten drier recently and he thinks that’s behind the tooth issues. Maybe you can just drink water frequently? Can you tolerate xylitol? If so, you could have some xylitol mints or gum to keep things moist and kill the bad bacteria. I also agree you shouldn’t put up with being treated that way at the dentist. I’ve had some bad ones and just a few good ones, but it’s worth switching to find a kind, gentle dentist. 

I do try to use xylitol gum, especially between meals. I think it does help.

It’s rarely the dentist—it’s the hygienists. Mean girls, seriously. It’s been okay so far, but my son did get two polar opposite reviews from the two different hygienists he’s seen at the new place, but even the sort of stern one is nice.

My son has interdental brushes, and I am going to try them along with several things suggested here.

• Like 2

This might be nuts but I usually use an electric toothbrush and when I use a normal one I get insanely itchy gums. I don’t know if they’re made of something different or what. But is it worth trying a natural toothbrush? 

Interesting that you mention pneumonia - I saw a dentist a while back was researching because he was noticing tooth/gum issues post Covid. Maybe there’s some link with breathing treatments or the coughing or something 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the 90s I had to have gum surgery all the way around my bottom teeth. My peridontist had me brush with mint flavored baking soda for a few weeks to get the inflammation down in my gums before he could do the surgery. It was made by Arm & Hammer and called Dental Care - the baking soda tooth powder. Unfortunately it's no longer made. I've got only a little bit left in my last bottle which I use from time to time when my gums get inflamed. It only takes a few days of brushing with for them to calm down. When I'm finished with this bottle by Arm & Hammer, I'm going to try this tooth powder by Eco-Dent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z1V142/?coliid=I23PDVXOIHPSYG&colid=31ZDCXSANN32J&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I hope you can get your gums calmed down! It's a bad feeling when they are irritated.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kbutton said:

since I had pneumonia.

The antibiotics affect your oral bacteria. You can buy oral probiotics meant specifically to restore the bacteria in the mouth or use xylitol. I've done xylitol gum but now I do the Spry xylitol mints. They come in a range of flavors. My beloved hygienist (who is no longer working, sigh) used the lemon, while I use their snappy cinnamon and ds the tamer berryblast. The gum for me was a lot of chewing and aggravated tmj propensities. The mints are easy, where you just let them dissolve slowly and swish a bit. I keep a small baggie in my purse and do them when I'm driving, when I'm in situations where I need to focus, anything. I try to do them 3x a day. Even just once a day is enough to stave off cavities after antibiotics.

Are you taking vitamin C? If you had pneumonia, have you rebuilt from everything that depletes? Depending on the virus and your genes, you could be low in biotin, zinc, b1, etc. You could see if any of those are implicated in gum health. I used to take MONTHS to recover from pneumonia and now bounce back more quickly. I've recently been working on collagen as well, since I didn't realize the effect steroids have on it. So you could cross reference anything you could be low in with gum health and might find the explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

Back in the 90s I had to have gum surgery all the way around my bottom teeth. My peridontist had me brush with mint flavored baking soda for a few weeks to get the inflammation down in my gums before he could do the surgery. It was made by Arm & Hammer and called Dental Care - the baking soda tooth powder. Unfortunately it's no longer made. I've got only a little bit left in my last bottle which I use from time to time when my gums get inflamed. It only takes a few days of brushing with for them to calm down. 

Interesting that your periodontist recommended a baking soda product—I wasn’t sure if I should mention that my grandmother used to brush her teeth with baking soda, and I do that if it feels like there’s a coating on my teeth—it gently scours the enamel. I don’t mind the flavor as long as I rinse right away, but that may be an issue for some.

With inflammation I’d also look into oral probiotics. Now brand makes OralBiotic with a strain that’s one of our layers for reducing risk of Covid and other viral infections (in addition to masking, for us). Perhaps pneumonia could shift the oral microbiome? 

• Thanks 1

Fwiw, I think these hygienists are trying too hard to do a "good job" instead of building long term relationships that help people problem solve. I had the same hygienist for almost 20 years, and she was a gem, always just very calm. Then the practice got bought out and seemingly every time you go it's a different person. There's no relationship there, no remembering how things were last time and discussing the changes you made to see what difference they made. 

I'm not saying it would be better, but you might look for a dentist who does their own cleanings (this is actually an advertised thing in some practices) or a family business, not chain, where they tend to have more continuity with their employees. It might get you someone more focused on relationship.

It also might be something to consider a place that does light sedation. I know they talk about the horrors of gas, but it's not bad for every profile. My ds does GREAT with gas. It's more your MTHFR straight people who have issues. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Acadie said:

With inflammation I’d also look into oral probiotics. Now brand makes OralBiotic with a strain that’s one of our layers for reducing risk of Covid and other viral infections (in addition to masking, for us). Perhaps pneumonia could shift the oral microbiome? 

Absolutely the antibiotics do! I'm on antibiotics way too often these days and notice a definite connection between the antibiotics and my oral health.  

I've done the oral probiotics and they're fine, amazing even. They're a little annoying to time (for me, because I take my thyroid meds at night) and you'd need to consider the shipping temp with the heat. Sometimes dentists stock them, but if they have to mail order than you're back to the heat. I just gave up and started doing lots of xylitol. But if you can get them easily, sure do them.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I used to take MONTHS to recover from pneumonia and now bounce back more quickly. I've recently been working on collagen as well, since I didn't realize the effect steroids have on it

I am doing xylitol gum.

I didn’t have steroids.

I wish I could cross reference stuff I could be low on, but that is a rabbit hole and sources never agree. I tend to be deficient in lots of things, not necessarily all at once, but I have had weird food cravings in the past that Al had common denominators that pointed at specific deficiencies. None of that right now. Collagen deficiency is almost certainly something I am at risk for in because pretty much anything that is a good source of collagen flares my mast cells. I do have some C I can take, but I have to be careful because it’s implicated in kidney stones, and having had a diagnosable one, I am nearly positive I passed a small ones years before when I was supplementing with C—at the time it was helping my allergies, though the effects kind of topped out.

43 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Now brand makes OralBiotic

I will look. Thanks for the brand suggestion. Probiotics can flare my MCAS. Anyone noticing a pattern yet, lol?!? I do take the probiotic yeast as it doesn’t do that, but it’s for the gut.

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Interesting that you mention pneumonia - I saw a dentist a while back was researching because he was noticing tooth/gum issues post Covid. Maybe there’s some link with breathing treatments or the coughing or something 

I think there is some speculation that breathing treatments trash teeth, and I did try those. This was not Covid pneumonia, though we all had COVID in 2022. I didn’t have a noticeable change after Covid, but it seems like all it does is terrible stuff!

• Sad 1

🤞The local health food store has some kind of oral probiotics. Here’s hoping they don’t cost a fortune if they flare my MCAS. I have enough stuff in a drawer that I can’t take to stock a nice sale.🤪

The store is very close to where I need to go to pick up other suggestions from the thread. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

🤞The local health food store has some kind of oral probiotics. Here’s hoping they don’t cost a fortune if they flare my MCAS. I have enough stuff in a drawer that I can’t take to stock a nice sale.🤪

The store is very close to where I need to go to pick up other suggestions from the thread. Wish me luck!

We got some kind of tooth mousse stuff for a while - we have non-fluoride water and the kids had trouble. That did seem to make a big difference.

• Like 1

I don't have much to offer as far as products/techniques to try.  A while back, I was having some gum problems on some teeth that were damaged in a car accident in my teens.  They recommended that I use Stim-udent toothpicks to gently push on my gums to stimulate more blood flow to the area.  But I don't think my problem was inflammation.  

I'm so sorry that this is causing you such anxiety.  Shame on those hygienists who shame you.  They should be part of a team to help you problem solve.  If it helps, I would assertively inform them that, according to previous providers, your dental hygiene is excellent, but you need help, not judgement, in solving the post-pneumonia gum inflammation.   Make sure that they are aware of your medical issues as they relate.   And, if they try to push any procedures, I would ask for what to try first/instead.  

I hope you get the relief you need.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• kbutton changed the title to Update in new post: Improving gum health

Saw the dentist today, and he said I didn’t need procedures, and I am doing fine with hygiene. He has no idea why I have sore gums. They are definitely sore on the overall surface, not where they meet the teeth.

He suggested I try different toothpaste in case an ingredient is the issue. If that doesn’t work, he said talking to my family doctor is the next step.

I have picked up a couple of new products from this thread though, and I really like the orthodontic toothbrushes recommended by @Laura Corin. They are really relaxing to use, lol!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Saw the dentist today, and he said I didn’t need procedures, and I am doing fine with hygiene. He has no idea why I have sore gums. They are definitely sore on the overall surface, not where they meet the teeth.

He suggested I try different toothpaste in case an ingredient is the issue. If that doesn’t work, he said talking to my family doctor is the next step.

I have picked up a couple of new products from this thread though, and I really like the orthodontic toothbrushes recommended by @Laura Corin. They are really relaxing to use, lol!

Are you already using a SLS free and GF toothpaste? It was kinda horrifying when we started researching body products here to realize how often we were cross-contaminating ourselves. Gluten tends to hang out in the "natural flavors" and in wheat based sorbitol, and it is not generally disclosed. Xantham gum is also generally wheat based. Cellulose gum tends to be what they will use as a GF thickener instead, so seeing cellulose gum on the ingredient list is generally a thumbs up here. 

Also, fwiw, wheat based starch is often in powdered gloves, on dental floss flavorings, in some mouth washes, and can be an additive in orthodontic devices that are MMA (methyl methacrylate) based. Be aware that even some dentists don't know this.  You need to specifically check polishing pastes, fluoride gels, and topical anesthetics if you discover this is a thing for you---the flavored ones can all be cross-contaminated. Temporary crowns tend to be made of MMA as well. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 1

Are you already using a SLS free and GF toothpaste?

🤷🏻‍♀️ I recently switched (DH did the shopping), but my irritation started before that by a couple of weeks. I had used the same stuff for years.

I will consider all this, but that is overwhelming. Yikes!

I have always had bad gums. I switched to a new dentist recently (more expensive!) and she has been very helpful pointing out tiny differences with my teeth and mouth in general which affects me. Little grooves for example which 'channel' plaque and therefore irritate the gums. When I follow her advice to the letter, I do well! So - SLS free toothpaste, SLS free and alcohol free mouthwash, flossing in a particular fashion which suits my teeth (imagine drying your back with a towel up and down), using tiny interdental brushes to work at the irritated spots. 

However, I really struggle to do this every day. I start off all right but just falter after a few weeks. 

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Sensodyne pronamel is sls and Gf, fwiw. It does contain xanthan gum, but it’s from a pure culture base. The sorbitol is also gf. 

Oh, thanks for the brand! That’s less overwhelming.

12 hours ago, bookbard said:

I have always had bad gums. I switched to a new dentist recently (more expensive!) and she has been very helpful pointing out tiny differences with my teeth and mouth in general which affects me. Little grooves for example which 'channel' plaque and therefore irritate the gums. When I follow her advice to the letter, I do well! So - SLS free toothpaste, SLS free and alcohol free mouthwash, flossing in a particular fashion which suits my teeth (imagine drying your back with a towel up and down), using tiny interdental brushes to work at the irritated spots. 

However, I really struggle to do this every day. I start off all right but just falter after a few weeks. 

It’s not at my gum line. It’s the surfaces of my gums farther up.

I do have interdental brushes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: My newish toothbrush that I had opened shortly after I had the nasty sickness film had some little (silicone?) scrubbers attached on the sides that went alongside the brushes like little fingers. They feel softer than the bristles, and I was trying to remember if previous toothbrushes have had those. My kids said they thought this type of toothbrush had been like that for a while, so I just let that thought go.

Well, I finally decided to clip those off and see what happened. Oh, my word! My gums are so much happier!

I still ordered some SLS-free toothpaste because I have periodic irritation that doesn’t ever last long, but things are much better.

I thought I would update just in case anyone else has something weird like this happen.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yay!! Are you tossing your manual brush every 90 days also? Be sure to replace it regularly.

I don’t have it on a calendar or anything, but I do change it pretty regularly. 

• Like 1