Menu

Drama Llama

Pureed soup?   

His favorite casserole, pureed?  You could add some milk or broth to make this one.

Is he willing/able to eat pureed meat?  Chicken will likely puree better than other meats, but it will still require liquid - broth will make it a lot more palatable than just water.  Veggies, too.

Edited by klmama

I have had some luck making stews of various sorts with the meat cooked down so much it falls apart. 

Spaghetti? Again, overcook the noodles or perhaps even consider overcooked orzo (tiny). 

I wonder if you can camouflage some food? Put some soft food cut into small chunks on top of some pureed food and see if that helps?

Meatloaf with a very low proportion of meat and high proportion of white bread throughout, then smothered in tons of gravy for more softness. 

Another one from his generation might be plain white bread with gravy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

He won’t eat things that are puréed.  He will only eat things that look familiar.  Over the past two days he’s eaten a few bites of pudding, applesauce, jello mashed potatoes with gravy, and scrambled eggs. Because they look right. 

Oh, I see.  How about yogurt?  You could buy the Oikos Triple Zero stuff, so he gets more protein.  Cooked carrots?  Well boiled chicken thighs? Thighs seem to have smoother texture than the breast.  Maybe just regular soup, cooked long enough that the veggies get super soft.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

Would risotto be a sufficiently normal/familiar food for him? How about Thanksgiving sides like mashed sweet potatoes, or stuffing (even just StoveTop with added finely minced veg, cooked in bone broth)? Oatmeal; orzo pasta with cheese sauce; lentil soup with minced carrots, potatoes, and onions cooked until everything was really soft?

• Like 1

What about soups that have always been pureed like split pea soup or butternut squash soup?

Mac and cheese where the macaroni is over cooked a bit and the cheese is the consistency of nacho cheese (more milk than usual).

Not healthy but spam is minced meat consistency and "meat". Gordon Ramsay's method for making scrambled eggs ends up with scrambled eggs with a more custard and softer consistency, still in the realm of normal looking. 

Could you sprinkle a  little protein powder on  his applesauce, oatmeal, pudding? 
Mashed sweet potatoes? 
Are well cooked noodles too thick/hard to swallow? I'm wondering if you could puree some chicken into the broth (not a lot so you don't change the texture too much) and have well cooked noodles in a chicken noodle soup? (I'd use carrots and puree them too). 

Quiche?  You could either do it without the crust or just let him eat it out of the crust if the crust makes it look normal.

Actually, you could put puréed anything into a custard and bake it in a crust.  🙂

Pork n beans?  The canned kind?  Van Camps ones are very soft.

Toast that is not very hard?  With butter or peanut butter or jam?

Soft meatballs in gravy?  Danish or German, the kind that are not crispy on the outside.

Also, while neither of my parents liked Ensure, they both preferred Boost, which has fairly complete temporary nutrition in a thick beverage, and can be heated or chilled.

Also, you can soak Cheerios in milk for two hours to get them very soft but still recognizable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Pork n beans?  The canned kind?  Van Camps ones are very soft.

This made me think of Chef Boyardee, which is also very soft, meatballs/ravioli can be chopped fine etc.  The liquid "sauce" could be mostly drained away. That's something my dad would recognize and enjoy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bambam said:

Could you sprinkle a  little protein powder on  his applesauce, oatmeal, pudding? 

Yes, find a tasteless  or at least without added sweetening protein powder then you can mix it to the foods he's willing to eat. Do a taste test, you may have to flavor it more to cover the protein powder taste. (Without flavorings protein powder doesn't taste good. That's why a lot of the pre-package stuff load it up with sweeteners and flavors.) FWIW I think protein powder would work really well in mashed potatoes.   

(DH likes https://nakednutrition.com/products/grass-fed-whey-protein-powder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=8687356537&utm_content=123773285237&utm_term=naked whey protein powder&gadid=528385834706&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiArLyuBhA7EiwA-qo80C32fsq5JNZv1sKCVFPiSq4MfO3keIoddUEXnS34rK1IZOnp58Ql0xoCumAQAvD_BwE

I’ve heard good things about Kate Farms for Boost-like needs.

I bet you can add canned tuna, salmon, chicken, or beef to things pretty easily. It all flakes really well if salt is not an issue.

I would look at the library for toddler food recipes using real food. We had a baby/toddler cookbook that was excellent, but I can’t remember what it was called, and it was not a new book when I used it.

• Like 1

Now I want mashed potatoes. 

you can add some serious calories to mashed potatoes if you apply yourself. Load them up with butter and cheese. You can even add powdered milk to the milk for more protein or use cream for more fat. 

Can he do a gnocchi with a cream sauce? Does he like matzo balls? Would he enjoy pudding? Or a hot dip? Can he have a flaky fish or a fish pie with a potato topping? Can he do a bean soup? Would tamales be soft enough? 

• Like 3