Menu

Who are Hokas good for?

mommyoffive

They might help but it’s totally worth going to a running or walking shoe for an evaluation. 
I found out so much about my feet and what style shoes to look for- there are many different kinds of even just Hokas.

I need lots of arch support so that my heels don’t hurt- other feet need other things.

• Like 9

It may also depend on what is causing your heal pain. I have flat feet, weak ankles, and I over pronate. I need shoes with lots of support and stability. I haven’t noticed much difference for my feet between my Hokas or Brooks. But I do feel a huge difference between $50 Walmart shoes and the $150 shoes.  Saucony is another brand that I had good results with. My plantar faculties is practically gone and I attribute that to better quality shoes.

• Like 4

As I understand it, they are popular with nurses and teachers (people on their feet a lot).  I agree with the prior poster--go see someone at a running store--they can look at your gait and help you find something that will support your feet.  I only wear running shoes anymore and I can tell when they wear out.

Also, PSA--if you put a lot of miles on your shoes then keep in mind you need to replace them rather often--depending on the mileage. They say to replace them every 300-500 miles. 

• Like 2

They're thick and pillowy and work well for my two kids with *high insteps*. They don't fit me worth two cents. I wear Altra, zero drop shoes. As the others said, if you go to a good running store you can get fitted. They should have things like scanners, video cameras to watch your feet as you walk on a treadmill, and the ability to make custom molded inserts. Where I go they will put two different brands on at the same time, so you can feel the differences. 

You could also go to a foot doctor. Plantar fascitis eventually forms heel spurs. The foot doctor gave me heel cups and if I'm wearing other kinds of shoes besides sneakers I can throw them in. They're just little gel things but they do help for comfort. He also had stretches to do. They can xray and make sure the cause of your foot pain is identified correctly.

Hoka do NOT fit me well. I have a narrow heel and they slip terribly for me.

I walk several miles every day so that's a factor. 

I currently am wearing a lot of Asics. I mostly roate between my Gel-excite trail runners and my gel-contend runners. They fit me better and if I lace for heel-lock they are really good for me. Brooks often work for me too. 

My Keens sandals fit me fine but their hikers did NOT. It's really hit or miss for me. I have some Merrell and Clark options that fit me well too, but they aren't my daily shoes. 

Echo echo go be evaluated at an athletic shoe store! 

Hokas are good for me because in the past I’ve dealt with both a fractured metatarsal bone and a neuroma between metatarsals. The Hokas I wear have a wide toe box and let the front end of my foot spread out with good support. They are very cushy!

I no longer run (due to above mentioned foot issues), but if I did I’m not sure I’d go with Hokas - I think the front end width takes some getting used to, at least ime. But I love them. I have several other types of athletic shoes these days, but for my exercise/distance walking, I wouldn’t want anything else. 

I’ve worn them for a number of years, they seem almost just trendy now, iykwim. If they’re right for you, they’re wonderful. But as mentioned above, they’re not the best shoe for everyone. And they’re among the most expensive, so you want to be sure. I save all year to not feel bad about the replacement cost. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2

I bought a pair of Hokas (Zappos, I think). At first, I thought they were wonderful. I have wide feet, high arch, and high instep. But after a few days, I noticed that my feet were rolling inward whenever I walked. I've never had that problem before. If I concentrate when I walk, I can stop it, but that seems so weird. They are very pretty shoes, so they are still in the closet (mostly too late to return them) and only come out for short events where a dressier walking shoe would be nice but there isn't a lot of walking. Sometimes I just wear them to the grocery store because I want to like them - but I just don't. 

I recently invested in a pair of Kuru shoes (saw them suggested here I think). I really like them so far, but I've only worn them a couple of days (several hours each day) in the house.  The Kuru shoes have much more space in the toe box than the Hokas did. 

2 hours ago, math teacher said:

wide feet,

Hokas also come in widths, and they can move you over to a men's to get a bit more width. My last pair of keen sandals I went men's to get a fuzz more width and they were perfect. My ds wears his hokas in a wide and he's quite thin/trim. Guess that is implying they aren't very wide, lol. They do come in widths so just try them and see what fits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, math teacher said:

I have really wide feet, even after bunion surgery, and I'm always afraid shoes won't be wide enough. A fellow teacher has some and loves them so I may try them when I need a new pair. I have some of the no drop, wide toe box shoes now and they have been good for my surgery foot.

FWIW—I have wide, flat, arthritic feet and the pair of Hokas I tried were horrible. I got wide width, but it definitely wasn’t wide enough, and there were other things going on that I couldn’t figure out. But the end result was that they were very painful for my feet. But their return/refund policy is great. 

• Thanks 1

I started wearing Hokas back around 2016 maybe?  Ds's and I were in a shoe store and they were looking for shoes.  One ds said Hokas were good so I tried some on and have worn them ever since.  Kind of like the way I began wearing my Birkenstocks (Arizonas) back in 1990.  😄

More recently, I went to a Fleet Feet store near me and talked to the people there.  They will also evaluate your feet somehow, but I skipped that.  A 70yo runner guy who's a neighbor recommended the Fleet Feet because they give coupons every time you purchase shoes from them.  You can also use them online which is where I buy my shoes now since I already know what I want.

Anyway, I ended up with Hokas (Bondi8, men's) because they had the most cushioning which I love.  I also get the men's shoe and not the women's because they're wider and have more cushioning.  I get the widest they make, and I love it.  If you ask the salespeople, they will tell you which shoes have what you're looking for. 

I assume you already know this, but I'll put it up here just in case.  Get 2 pair and alternate them.  The runners told me to do that and it definitely seems to keep them more 'springy'.  

Also, after I've had them for quite a while and I feel like they're getting slightly flat, I buy inserts and put those in to extend the life of the shoe.  That works really well.  (for any athletic shoe, not just Hokas)

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1

I have a pair I purchased at REI.  I have feet issues.  They fit, they're comfortable, give support.  Bonus points that I can wear my ankle brace with them.

I liked my Abeo's from The Walking Company better - but they no longer have any brick and mortar stores.  (you can buy them online, or through amazon.)  Maybe I can try the insoles from the Abeo's in the Hoka's. . . . 

17 hours ago, math teacher said:

I have really wide feet, even after bunion surgery, and I'm always afraid shoes won't be wide enough. A fellow teacher has some and loves them so I may try them when I need a new pair. I have some of the no drop, wide toe box shoes now and they have been good for my surgery foot.

I ended up getting the wide ones.   I went to the store and tried them on and got them.   I love them.   My feet at Disney loved me!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I would have never thought of going to a running store for an evaluation.  We do not have anything like that in my city.  And I am not a runner so it wouldn't have even be something I thought of.  Do you have to buy the shoe from them if you go in there? 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:22 PM, City Mouse said:

. I haven’t noticed much difference for my feet between my Hokas or Brooks.

I was going to say the same thing. I have a pair of Hokas and Brooks. One day it took me at least an hour before I figured out that I was wearing a Brooks on one foot and a Hoka on the other. They are both gray and yes, I do get dressed in the dark 😏

I love both shoes 😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I would have never thought of going to a running store for an evaluation.  We do not have anything like that in my city.  And I am not a runner so it wouldn't have even be something I thought of.  Do you have to buy the shoe from them if you go in there? 

Not the one here.  It's just like a regular athletic shoe store.  Lots of different brands and styles and you try on anything you want.  That way you can compare the feel of several brands to find what you like best.

One of my dd's loves Brooks and has worn them for a long time.  She tried to get me to buy some but when I tried them on, I felt like there was no padding under my foot.  But that could also be becuase that I weigh a lot more than she does.  😉 

On 12/31/2023 at 6:48 PM, kathyl said:

Anyway, I ended up with Hokas (Bondi8, men's) because they had the most cushioning which I love.  I also get the men's shoe and not the women's because they're wider and have more cushioning.  I get the widest they make, and I love it.  If you ask the salespeople, they will tell you which shoes have what you're looking for. 

For op, this is what she's describing https://www.roadrunnersports.com/product/42338/mens-hoka-bondi-8

Men's shoes come in wide and extra wide and even more. My ds wears a 12EE in Hokas right now, which is their wide. Sounds like @kathyl is saying she's wearing the 4E width, their extra wide. Roadrunner is a great place to buy from. They have quick online service and if you do their VIP club they do free size changes and returns. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We do not have anything like that in my city.

The difference in fit and variety of options will be enough that it's worth doing on a trip to a major city. Do you have a state capital or other major city within a few hours drive? Maybe make it an occasion? Your feet will stay the same size for a while, so once you do this you'd be able to just order for a while. My feet did change in my mid-40s but for a number of years they were the same size. So it will be effort once to find a good brand and fit for you but then you'll be set for a while. Even when my foot size changed, the brand stayed the same that was best for me. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

For op, this is what she's describing https://www.roadrunnersports.com/product/42338/mens-hoka-bondi-8

Men's shoes come in wide and extra wide and even more. My ds wears a 12EE in Hokas right now, which is their wide. Sounds like @kathyl is saying she's wearing the 4E width, their extra wide. Roadrunner is a great place to buy from. They have quick online service and if you do their VIP club they do free size changes and returns. 

Wow, I didn't know they came that wide!  You're right, I buy the 4E extra wide, men's shoes.  And I have 2 pair of Hokas that look exactly like those.  lol 

I also started buying them straight from Hoka.  They give me the discount and their service is great.  I'll check out the Roadrunner.  Thanks.

Oh, and the employee at Fleet Feet said that right before they change styles, the 'older' styles go on sale, so watch out for those sales.  

• Like 1

I love my Hokas. I have these, which are marketed for hiking: https://www.hoka.com/en/us/all-gender-footwear/hoka-x-cotopaxi-anacapa-breeze-low/1136950.html which are no longer in stock, sadly. 

I have hallux limitus/rigidus which basically means severe arthritis in the big toe joint. I can’t bend my toe without blinding, I-see-stars! pain. I add steel plates to the front half, to stabilize my toes.

But seriously — I thought I would never be able to hike or run again, until my Hokas. They have seen a lot of mileage and elevation changes. 

• Like 1