Menu

Outdoor activities in humid climate

almondbutterandjelly

When I was a child, I lived in Missouri and was outside all the time, no matter the season.  I hiked and played and rode bikes and climbed trees and grew marigolds.  I am struggling, as an adult who is approaching an empty nest and who now lives in an apartment, to figure out how to be outside, in a very humid climate.  For instance, it is currently 71 and extremely humid and no wind.  I thought about going for a walk, but it feels gross, humidity-wise.  I could sit outside and have my coffee, I guess.  That's grownup.  I miss hiking and forests and seasons and hills, but South Texas has none of that.  I don't expect that we will move.  I don't like gardening.  I'm not a beach person, except for staring at the water, which I can do from my living room.  I guess I could drive 25 minutes to the beach and walk on it?  It's usually windy.  I'm not a runner.  I don't know.  I would like to be outside, but not outside here.  Should we go camping more?  Is that my solution?

It’s all relative. 71 and humid is much better than 98 and humid. 

Can you put a fan on your porch? Can you go walking after dark? That what we used to do in Houston. I can remember in the summertime the kids didn’t really start playing outside until around 8pm. Are there any parks nearby that offer tree cover?

Camping can be fun, but you’d have to drive quite a ways to get to better (cooler) weather, even then my camping season in Texas was late October through April. 

I don’t know how he does it, but my DS never seemed to care about the heat or let it curtail his activities. He would come home with sweat pouring off of him and just shrug and say “It’s hot”.

Honestly, I got tired of the weather, and that was one factor in our move away from the gulf coast, but we are planning to move back to the gulf coast in a few years after my DH retires. 

• Like 2

I think different people can tolerate humidity better than others, but a lot is also one's mindset. I'll play 2 hrs tennis in 85 degrees and humid, drink lots of water, and shower after playing. It's far quicker to warm up the body and be nice and limber in warm, humid weather than in the cold. 

Perhaps you can mental and physically embrace the warmth. It really is lovely. You can do yoga, swim in an outdoor pool, walk, paddle/row on the water and enjoy that gorgeous warm weather. 

• Like 1

Ride bikes?  That's what we used to do in the heat of summer in SC.  That and swim (in a pool).

Also, I time my outside activities here in TX so that I come inside and go straight to the (cold) shower.  So I'm sweating outside, but I know there's a wonderful shower at the end of my sweating.  😁  And a nice cold house because I turn the AC down before I go outside.

I see people here outside walking in the dark during the hottest parts of the summer.  I want to start doing that, too.

I also see plenty of people walking in the heat of the day.  But most of those are very thin old people.  😜

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I've lived for 60 summers in the south and I haven't acclimated to it yet. I hate it more every year.

This is me, too.

With respect, I don’t think anyone gets to say that others can acclimate or feel less discomfort by improving their mindset. If that works for you, great, but until you’re in my skin, don’t assume it will work for me if I just do what you do.

OP, my best ideas: time outside activities for the coolest parts of the day, including after dark; try swimming or even just hanging out in a pool, as long as the pool has some shade available; travel to less humid places and enjoy outdoor activities there; embrace sitting outside with your coffee or, better yet, something cold like iced tea or lemonade. Use cool showers liberally.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've lived in a very humid climate for 54 years and tbh I don't spend time outside in summer. I know it's not summer now but considering my climate 71 and humid actually sounds not bad. Are you feeling the need to be outside or do you just think you should be outside? Listen to your body. Yes, you can work on acclimating but don't force it if it doesn't feel right. During the hottest, most humid time of year here dh and I sit on our screen porch early in the morning and read but just for a short time each day. Can you try just going out for a little bit during the least humid time of day?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've lived in a very humid climate for 54 years and tbh I don't spend time outside in summer. I know it's not summer now but considering my climate 71 and humid actually sounds not bad. Are you feeling the need to be outside or do you just think you should be outside? Listen to your body. Yes, you can work on acclimating but don't force it if it doesn't feel right. During the hottest, most humid time of year here dh and I sit on our screen porch early in the morning and read but just for a short time each day. Can you try just going out for a little bit during the least humid time of day?

Thanks.  I know, 71 and humid doesn't sound too bad.  It was in the 90 percent humidity range, though, to be fair.  And no wind.  That is rare for here.  

I guess I am just longing for days of old and who I used to be, in a place I used to live.  Yes, I do think I "should" be outside.  You are correct.  Perhaps not a great idea.  I have asthma, and humidity doesn't always agree with me.  Our summers are miserable.  The rest of the year is quite nice often, but just lately it's been so humid.  I'm sure we're between fronts.  It's not always this bad.

I do end up acclimating during the summer.  But not this winter.  I want to say it's been more humid than usual.  Usually our winters are pretty dry.  Maybe that's why I'm feeling this way.  And dd is about to fly the nest, 8 hours north, to a more arid environment with seasons, which sounds heavenly.  And we are stuck here for a myriad of reasons.

Thanks, everybody.

Edited by almondbutterandjelly
typo
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, almondbutterandjelly said:

Thanks.  I know, 71 and humid doesn't sound too bad.  It was in the 90 percent humidity range, though, to be fair.  And no wind.  That is rare for here.  

I guess I am just longing for days of old and who I used to be, in a place I used to live.  Yes, I do think I "should" be outside.  You are correct.  Perhaps not a great idea.  I have asthma, and humidity doesn't always agree with me.  Our summers are miserable.  The rest of the year is quite nice often, but just lately it's been so humid.  I'm sure we're between fronts.  It's not always this bad.

I do end up acclimating during the summer.  But not this winter.  I want to say it's been more humid than usual.  Usually our winters are pretty dry.  Maybe that's why I'm feeling this way.  And dd is about to fly the nest, 8 hours north, to a more arid environment with seasons, which sounds heavenly.  And we are stuck here for a myriad of reasons.

Hugs. Winter is normally our dry season too but it's rainy today. Usually that means a cool front on the way. Hopefully your humidity will drop after the fronts pass and you'll be able to get outdoors for a bit.

Here's what my morning is like.

Screenshot_20231224_095324_AccuWeather.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, almondbutterandjelly said:

How could you love Missouri in the summers? Weeks and weeks of 100 degrees and humid is miserable! It was too hot to even kayak. And you were outside all the time???

• Like 2

I just accept that sweating is going to happen and extra showers will be needed.  A quick soap and rinse doesn’t take long and will make you feel better.  There is no rule limiting one to only 1 shower every 24 hours.   I’d rather take an extra shower than be stuck in the house.   Honestly just sitting outside drinking coffee would be enough to make me consider an extra shower at some points during the year. 

I also spend a fair amount of time questioning the sanity of whoever stopped here and decided this was a good place to start a settlement.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

I hear you from East Texas. The humidity is slightly better here but is still awful. I hate sweating. I sweat very easily.
So I exercise inside, not as great as outside, but less sweating. I have an elliptical machine and a stationary bike.  Give me my ear buds and a good book and I'm good to go. 
I do not want to take 3 showers daily. 

However, whenever we visit anywhere else, and their humidity is not 98%, I find my skin feels awful - like it is drying out and I have to keep putting moisturizer on it all the time. So, I tell myself the silver lining to this humidity is I will not wrinkle as much because the humidity is keeping my skin moist. (If you know this not to be so, please keep it to yourself! I have to have something!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

How could you love Missouri in the summers? Weeks and weeks of 100 degrees and humid is miserable! It was too hot to even kayak. And you were outside all the time???

Lol I was a child in the woods.  Very shaded most of the time.  And I was probably out in the mornings and evenings.  I honestly don't remember humidity in Missouri in the same way that I understand humidity along the Gulf of Mexico.  I am guessing they are very different beasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

So, I tell myself the silver lining to this humidity is I will not wrinkle as much because the humidity is keeping my skin moist. (If you know this not to be so, please keep it to yourself! I have to have something!)

Actually, this may be true!  I am 50 and don't have any face wrinkles.  I'm fat, too, though so that might also be it.

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

However, whenever we visit anywhere else, and their humidity is not 98%, I find my skin feels awful - like it is drying out and I have to keep putting moisturizer on it all the time. So, I tell myself the silver lining to this humidity is I will not wrinkle as much because the humidity is keeping my skin moist. (If you know this not to be so, please keep it to yourself! I have to have something!)

When we moved to Idaho ages ago, a woman there was shocked I was as old as I was.  Then, she got a distant look on her face and said 'Oh, you're from the South where the humidity keeps people looking younger.'  I had never thought about it, but a light bulb went off in my head as I realized that was probably why so many of the people out West looked so wrinkled and old ... dry and no shade.

It's the same in this part of Texas.  Lots of very weathered-looking people who probably aren't near as old as they look.  The sun is brutal here.

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

So, I tell myself the silver lining to this humidity is I will not wrinkle as much because the humidity is keeping my skin moist. (If you know this not to be so, please keep it to yourself! I have to have something!)

I don't know if it's true or not, but I tell myself the same thing.

I think we notice things more as we age.
I remember my first day in MO.   . . . It was 100F . . and 100% humidity.  "why are there water droplets in the air? It's noon, the sky is blue with nary a cloud in sight)   I sure don't remember feeling it - but now . . . I was in Houston in April a couple years ago, and it was just . . gross.   (to be fair, NASA is closer to the gulf)

17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think we notice things more as we age.
I remember my first day in MO.   . . . It was 100F . . and 100% humidity.  "why are there water droplets in the air? It's noon, the sky is blue with nary a cloud in sight)   I sure don't remember feeling it - but now . . . I was in Houston in April a couple years ago, and it was just . . gross.   (to be fair, NASA is closer to the gulf)

Houston is objectively horrible.  I lived in San Antonio for five years, and that was really, really bad, but when we visited Houston?  Horrifically hot, horribly humid, all concrete, some of the worst traffic I've ever experienced, and all the concrete just reflects the heat.  It has almost no redeeming features.

• Like 1

Can you swim? Or do stuff at night? I get it, I find it very hard to exercise in our summer even though I’ve lived here most of our life. I get puffy and drink so much water without ever feeling hydrated. It’s not humid, I just can’t deal with heat. I’m pretty sure it’s to do with a genetic makeup that’s suited to cool climate in northern hemisphere and I just have to deal.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, almondbutterandjelly said:

I'm not a beach person, except for staring at the water, which I can do from my living room.  I guess I could drive 25 minutes to the beach and walk on it?  It's usually windy.  

I'd do that. I used to walk on the beach several times a week when I lived on the coast. It's so relaxing, very meditative, to listen to the waves as you walk. And walking in sand builds muscle! Oh, and walking barefoot in the wet sand is like a salt scrub for your feet - helps keep feet soft. Free exfoliation!!

• Like 2