Menu

How do you clean your shower or bathtub?

Bess

I was reading the other thread about the automatic shower cleaner. Those of you who clean the old fashioned way, how do you do it? Do you use a sponge? A brush? What cleaner do you use? How often do you clean? :confused:

Wait just a minute!!!! Are you telling me we are suppose to CLEAN the shower?? :tongue_smilie:

I've been using comet for years, but I have just started cleaning the shower when I am in there with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. It removes all the soap scum and I can just washcloth it on while I shower and rinse it off. Very easy. Seems to keep it clean. I use the comet on the tub part, usually once a week.

I started using bon ami and everything started to look grungy so I went back to Comet or whatever that had more bleach. My tv station reported on a Consumer Reports study of bathroom cleaners, so that seemed to think those type of traditional scrubs worked well. I had a sponge on a handle sort of thing but now I can't find them at any store and so I'm very interested in what others use. I don't think the plasticky scrubby sponge works as well for some reason.

I clean it once a week with vileda scrubby sponge. Some weeks I use baking soda, and others I use Vim with bleach.

In our old place I used CLR a lot as the copper pipes left a green residue on the shower floor.

The worst part of cleaning showers & baths is the rinsing. That's why I like to use the baking soda - I can do it while I'm naked in there, washing myself; other cleaners I don't want anywhere near my naked self :D

I bring in an old plastic jug with me to rinse off the tile walls.

When we redo the baths, for sure we're getting one of those adjustable bar shower fixtures so I can easily rinse everything off.

I was reading the other thread about the automatic shower cleaner. Those of you who clean the old fashioned way, how do you do it? Do you use a sponge? A brush? What cleaner do you use? How often do you clean? :confused:

I use a mixture of 1 cup vinegar in a spray bottle with water. Sometimes I add a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of castile liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's). I spray after every shower. I don't have to do anything else to my shower...at all....ever.

I use a squeegie (sp?) on the walls and they stay fairly decent but what about the tub? I get soap scum/grime of some sort, especially around the corners.

Mine is just a shower stall. I'd spray extra vinegar into the corners and other problem areas. Like a full spray in those areas whereas a full spray might cover the whole top portion of the short wall otherwise.

Magic Eraser always does the trick. :) Sometimes if it's in need of a deep cleaning I also mix vinegar, dishsoap and borax in boiling water and pour it over the shower or tub. It always melts away any soap scum, or softens it to the point that it only takes one swipe with the Magic Eraser, and it leaves a clean, streak-free shine.

I also use boiling peppermint tea, adding the same mixture of vinegar, borax and liquid dish soap for my ceramic tile floors, and it works beautifully.

Wait just a minute!!!! Are you telling me we are suppose to CLEAN the shower?? :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, what she said! I shower with my glasses off. How am I supposed to know if it needs cleaning? On the rare occasions it does get cleaned, I use vinegar and bicarb soda, a scrubbing brush for the tiles, and an old toothbrush for the grout. Nothing else will get in there properly. It stays clean for AGES after that, because I do clean with my glasses on.

;)

Rosie

I use a mixture of 1 cup vinegar in a spray bottle with water. Sometimes I add a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of castile liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's). I spray after every shower. I don't have to do anything else to my shower...at all....ever.

THANK YOU!!!!!! I've been contemplating this very thing and wondering how it would work! Thank you so much. I can't stand using chemicals in the tub where my little girls sit their girly bits, but our grout and caulk are so hideous, we're hitting them with the scary stuff this weekend. After that, I'm SO doing this everyday.

I don't do it often, maybe once a month. I usually use comet and a toilet brush (designated for this purpose). If the bottom of the liner has mildew then I close the drain and put a cup of bleach in the tub and run hot water until the bottom of the liner is submerged. I let it soak for several minutes before I scrub it and rinse.

I have just started cleaning the shower when I am in there with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. It removes all the soap scum and I can just washcloth it on while I shower and rinse it off. Very easy. Seems to keep it clean.

Ditto. Wipe daily while I'm showering with a bath scrubie and body wash or shampoo. Once a month I'll give it a good scrub with comet.

Cheryl,

Where do you get this castile liquid soap? I've never heard of it. Does Wal-Mart have it?

We gave up chemicals years and years ago, however, there are times when I still resort to them.

What I can say the absolute best thing is to prevent the soap ring in the first place -- just get rid of the bar soap! We use Suave shampoo in place of bath soap in the bath..cheap and works great. We use a few drops on those little fluffy nylon poufs (each kid has there own and I wash them pretty often) and since we started using shampoo versus soap, no ring...ever. Vinegar is great, but it can etch nice tile, not a problem for me as my tile isn't nice and is very old and has been etched for over 40 years before I moved in.

Really and truly, if you just get rid of bar soap, it helps so much to get rid of any type of buildup in the tub...liquid bath soap or liquid shampoo doesn't leave the ring.

And if you have a steamer, steaming your tub clean once every few months does wonders...

Once a week I go over each shower with a magic eraser and water.

Someone here recommended it for the soap scum on the shower floor, and it works better than anything I've ever used. Same goes for the soap-scummy water spots on the glass doors. Amazing!

By the way, Magic Eraser users...did you know that if you keep the eraser really wet it lasts longer? It deteriorates at a much slower rate.

This probably doesn't work as well for cleaning finger prints from the walls and whatnot, but a dripping-wet eraser sponge cleans the bath beautifully.

AND, once it's covered with soap scum, it runs through the washer and dryer, coming out almost like new.

Cheryl,

Where do you get this castile liquid soap? I've never heard of it. Does Wal-Mart have it?

Most health food stores will have it, and I know Whole Foods carries it. I order mine online from Vitacost.com or Vitaglo.com when I order our vitamins and H&BC products.

http://www.vitacost.com/Dr-Bronners-Liquid-Soap

We buy the 32 ounce bottle and it lasts forever.

I'm another Dr. Bronner's and scrub brush gal. If I really have to use something abrasive, I'll use baking soda or coarse salt. We use bar soap (glycerin or hand crafted from Flower Moon) and never have a problem with soap residue. When I used shampoo / conditioner, we had an issue, but I've gone back to baking soda and apple cider vinegar... no residue.