Menu

oh no! DD just ate 3 week old chili!!!!

ktgrok

It actually is more like 3 weeks old....I hadn't cleaned out the fridge first because we were gone, then I had Covid, and then I was waiting for trash day (tomorrow). I made a taco casserole last night, and that was in teh fridge but in a drawer. DD13 helped herself...to the 3 week old chili! I didn't realize until after she ate it. She says it tasted fine...but OMG! We have a field trip at the Kennedy Space Center all day tomorrow. 45 minute drive with no bathrooms. 

How likely is she to get sick????

Just now, Alte Veste Academy said:

OMG I would be looking up whether or not having her induce vomiting would be a good idea. I'd be worried about it beyond just the inconvenience of being ill while traveling.

This is my kid that is terrible at vomiting - her esophogus goes into spasms so it is very hard to get anything actually up. and traumatic. 

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

activated charcoal??

OH! That's a great idea. And the Walgreens down the street has it, according to the website. They have it in capsule form, so it won't freak her out to take it (it's gross looking in liquid form!)

Going to throw on shoes and go grab it!

edit - ugh, not finding any evidence it helps with food poisoning though. 

Edited by ktgrok

25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

y'all MY stomach is topsy turvy just thinking about this. ugh. 

I'd be feeling the same way.  I'm so sorry!  Did you call the doctor or urgent care or someone to find out what you can do?  

ETA - I like @Katy s suggestion

Edited by Kassia

Sharing to offer encouragement: My child and I once ate soup from a bloated container from the grocery store. Someone served it to us not knowing it was bad- my daughter ate quite a bit of it before I tasted mine- it tasted terrible. I was so scared of food poisoning as I know it is very unsafe to eat from bloated packaging. I called poison control for advice. (They didn’t really have any, said we’d have to wait and see. But maybe you’d get different info if you call). We both ended up being completely fine. Praying your daughter has no issues either. 

Edited by HazelAnne
  • Like 3

Oh goodness, so sorry! I would be freaking out. It’s been cold though, and didn’t taste off or have mold growing, so I think there’s a good chance all will be fine. I sure hope so! Crossing fingers and toes for you, and hoping you will keep us updated.

48 minutes ago, lmrich said:

She  might be blessed with  an iron tummy. My  dh can eat just about anything  and  be fine. Fingers crossed!

Same kid has been caught eating day old tater tots from when someone didn't clean out the air fryer after use. (not me that time!)

47 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Oh man, old leftovers skeeve me out. I’m shuddering, just thinking about it. 🤢

Same!!! I see those people meal prepping for lunches for their work week on sunday and I just think, "no way am I eating food on Friday that was made the previous Sunday!" I also won't touch milk on or after the expiration date, toss out lunch meat in 4 days, etc. 

She, on the other hand, is totally chill. She took the activated charcoal capsules to humor me, but said she's not worried. 

• Like 4

If anything is going go happen, it will probably happen long before you leave tomorrow morning, so you'll know if you need to cancel.

When our family all got food poisoning from a cookout, we started to experience symptoms in about 4 hours. 

Fingers crossed that she is fine. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Like 4