Menu

World problems/news ( Used to be Anybody concerned about Friday, then I changed it to concerned about world problems)

TravelingChris

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep loads on social media. Nothing in mainstream news. That’s why I seem to be increasingly using social media for news even when it means filtering through so much rubbish.

It’s been in the mainstream news here in the US. I’ve been following the stories on the AP website. The NY Times has also had articles most days, including today. I did a quick search and numerous news articles appear in the US mainstream media across various publications for every day since the hurricane occurred.

• Like 4

Just now, Frances said:

It’s been in the mainstream news here in the US. I’ve been following the stories on the AP website. The NY Times has also had articles most days, including today. I did a quick search and numerous news articles appear in the US mainstream media across various publications for every day since the hurricane occurred.

Yeah maybe it’s just too distant here in Australia. It was in the news during the lead up but nothing afterwards.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep loads on social media. Nothing in mainstream news. That’s why I seem to be increasingly using social media for news even when it means filtering through so much rubbish.

I feel bad for using social media so much for my news, especially as a former news junky, but all of the good newspapers are paywalled now and it's so frustrating.  We don't have TV anymore, only streaming and I don't like keeping up with news that way.  I do have news podcasts but I've been kind of avoiding them all lately for mental health reasons.  So it's mostly just Facebook posts from NPR or the Times, or things that pop up when I scroll TikTok, smooshed in between cats and recipes.   And here of course.  I'm less informed on the detailed machinations overall, but mentally healthier. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I feel bad for using social media so much for my news, especially as a former news junky, but all of the good newspapers are paywalled now and it's so frustrating.  We don't have TV anymore, only streaming and I don't like keeping up with news that way.  I do have news podcasts but I've been kind of avoiding them all lately for mental health reasons.  So it's mostly just Facebook posts from NPR or the Times, or things that pop up when I scroll TikTok, smooshed in between cats and recipes.   And here of course.  I'm less informed on the detailed machinations overall, but mentally healthier. 

I too have cut way back on news consumption. I’ve never watched news, now don’t listen to news, and generally just read the AP emails that come each day and only occasionally click to read a full article. The AP site is free and you can sign up to get digests each day. I think I get 2-3 per day. This way I feel like I know all of the major headlines, but only read full articles if I’m in the mood.

I will also sometimes go to one of the free Longform sites to delve deeper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frances said:

That is interesting. The NYT may have articles, but nothing on the homepage. At least not the homepage that ((I'm)) seeing. Same for AP, CNN, Rueters... nothing about about Acapulco. Not even in the small print headlines at the bottom of the page.

I can find tons of articles if I put "Acapulco" in the search bar on Google and click on the "news" tab. I think the issue is that it is not making headlines. Unless you do actually search it out, you wouldn't see anything. I think that is what is meant by "it isn't being covered." 

I haven't see anything about it on social media, but I don't follow news accounts or journalists. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Frances said:

I too have cut way back on news consumption. I’ve never watched news, now don’t listen to news, and generally just read the AP emails that come each day and only occasionally click to read a full article. The AP site is free and you can sign up to get digests each day. I think I get 2-3 per day. This way I feel like I know all of the major headlines, but only read full articles if I’m in the mood.

I will also sometimes go to one of the free Longform sites to delve deeper.

I never think about the AP site, I’ll go sign up there.  I do still get alerts from NYTs but all I can see is the headline now that I canceled the subscription.  

• Like 1

Just now, Heartstrings said:

I never think about the AP site, I’ll go sign up there.  I do still get alerts from NYTs but all I can see is the headline now that I canceled the subscription.  

That is so frustrating. WSJ is doing that to me now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, popmom said:

Now I'm curious what comes up for y'all if you go to the news outlets' homepages. Are they all the same for everyone? Am I seeing different headlines than you are?

I just went to the main page and I see Israel stuff, Trump, then sports then opinion stuff, with a few minor headlines about various odd things, like birds.   Nothing on Mexico.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

That is interesting. The NYT may have articles, but nothing on the homepage. At least not the homepage that ((I'm)) seeing. Same for AP, CNN, Rueters... nothing about about Acapulco. Not even in the small print headlines at the bottom of the page.

I can find tons of articles if I put "Acapulco" in the search bar on Google and click on the "news" tab. I think the issue is that it is not making headlines. Unless you do actually search it out, you wouldn't see anything. I think that is what is meant by "it isn't being covered." 

I haven't see anything about it on social media, but I don't follow news accounts or journalists. 

It’s been in the AP news email that I receive twice daily several times. I don’t know about the homepage because I don’t look there. The AP site is super glitchy for me so I don’t like to use it. I mainly just read the emails that have headlines and brief summaries and only click on one or two articles per day.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

Maybe this isn’t what you are looking for, but when I look at the homepage for The NY Times, I see an editorial about the hurricane in Acapulco.

I would guess that part of the reason for less coverage is due to Israel/Palestine dominating world news right now. That and what others have said about clicks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I was going to suggest AP as well (I find Reuters sometimes pay walled for me due to adblockers and sometimes not. If you’re not using an ad blocker, you should be able to view there just fine.) Those consistently rate highly factual and close to the middle as far as bias. It’s good to find somewhere that works well for you to get news that’s not giving it to you according to an algorithm that means you only see more of the same and/or more sensational Clickbait stuff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Now I'm curious what comes up for y'all if you go to the news outlets' homepages. Are they all the same for everyone? Am I seeing different headlines than you are?

On the NYT right now I see a fairly prominent opinion piece about the hurricane, but when I click on the "Americas" section I see several articles. I treat online news like an old fashioned newspaper--just because something's not on the front page doesn't mean it's not well covered in another section of the "paper."  I've found this to be true of NYT, WaPo, AP and Reuters (my main sources of reliable info). There's too much going on in the world nowadays for everything to be on the front page. I realize that doesn't work well for NYT and WaPo if you're not a subscriber, though.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Have you checked what’s available online through your local library? I’m able to read the nyt wsj and washpost online on my device using my library card. 

• Like 1

@Frances @Pawz4me thanks for sharing that. I do see that opinion piece on the homepage--as of last night. Either I missed it before or it was added later. So it looks like it is the same for everyone, and I am glad to see it. I only recently resubscribed to NYT, so I forget to check it. I don't really like the NYT, but I will keep it around until my $1/week trial ends in a couple of months.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

On the NYT right now I see a fairly prominent opinion piece about the hurricane, but when I click on the "Americas" section I see several articles. I treat online news like an old fashioned newspaper--just because something's not on the front page doesn't mean it's not well covered in another section of the "paper."  I've found this to be true of NYT, WaPo, AP and Reuters (my main sources of reliable info). There's too much going on in the world nowadays for everything to be on the front page. I realize that doesn't work well for NYT and WaPo if you're not a subscriber, though.

This could definitely be an issue for me. I don’t sit down and read right through a news website the way I might flick through a newspaper. (To be fair, I probably didn’t  read whole newspapers often either)

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 12:11 PM, popmom said:

The situation in Acapulco, Mexico is really bad. The pictures are unbelievable. I am trying to find out the status of electricity and water. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-sends-aid-acapulco-hurricane-otis-death-toll-rises-rcna122739

This is heartbreaking. 

https://apnews.com/article/hurricane-otis-acapulco-climate-change-mexico-amlo-42841e8c9ef6a1e448f27a72dfc39c60

A good explanation on the rapid intensification and why more didn't evacuate (one for my fellow weather geeks)

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023/10/nightmare-scenario-category-5-hurricane-otis-devastates-acapulco/

Thank you. I was traveling when it hit and we had no cell coverage or wifi where we were - only when we drove through small towns once or twice a day - so had NO IDEA that this even happened. I've been checking the main NPR website once a day the last few days and haven't seen anything about it. 

As a Floridian, a hurricane that is predicted to be a Cat 1 impact turning into a Cat 5 impact is terrifying. We all ride out Cat 1 storms, even on the coast. They said that it was still predicted to be a Cat 1 16 hours before landfall, I wonder how late it was they realized it was going to be so strong? 

I do remember, back after Katrina hit, that some hurricane expert was saying that people need to understand that they are getting better at predicting a storm's potential path, but they have NOT gotten better at predicting strength in the same way, and that we just can't predict that as well as we would like. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

s a Floridian, a hurricane that is predicted to be a Cat 1 impact turning into a Cat 5 impact is terrifying. We all ride out Cat 1 storms, even on the coast. They said that it was still predicted to be a Cat 1 16 hours before landfall, I wonder how late it was they realized it was going to be so strong? 

What I heard today was that it went from a tropical storm to Cat 3 in 6 hours.  Not a single model had even a 1% chance if that happening. 

Edited by Heartstrings
Fix info
  • Sad 3

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/hamburg-airport-closed-after-armed-person-drives-through-gate/103066590

Hostage situation in Berlin - a man has driven a car through the airport gate with two young children the car and fired a firearm and thrown burning bottles 

Possibly a custody dispute situation 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/hamburg-airport-closed-after-armed-person-drives-through-gate/103066590

Hostage situation in Berlin - a man has driven a car through the airport gate with two young children the car and fired a firearm and thrown burning bottles 

Heart hurts! I hope those children are rescued.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Situation was resolved after 18 hours and child is unharmed thankfully. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 7:34 PM, TravelingChris said:

US forces/government place  in tbe Middle East attacked 13 times since last week.  Fox News

Argentinian Election Sunday results: Javier Milei , a libertarian economist  (who actually knows  economics. s As a graduate of University of Chicago with a BA in economics I was impressed w his knowledge when Isa2 an interview w him and then I looked him up and found put he is a PhD graduate in economics). He got 30%.  The left-wing Peronist Sergio Massa who is the current minister of the economy got 36%. These two will be in a run-off on November 19th.  The conservative Patricia Bullrich won 23%, and announced that "I will not congratulate someone who has been a part of the worse government in Argentina's history." Argentina has nearly 140% inflati9n.  This info is from very biased BBC- they call Milei a far-right libertarian where, at least in the US, the phrase "far-right " is meaning ideas like white supremacy and antisemitism- basically neo-Nazis like those who marched in Charlottesville.

Milei won

On 11/6/2023 at 10:45 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

A Jewish man was killed during an altercation between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian protestors near LA. Police are investigating. 

Man charged w/involuntary manslaughter and battery causing serious bodily injury in the death of Paul Kessler, 69 yo.

Loay Abdellfattah Alnaji, 50 yo., plead not guilty. Alnaji’s lawyer seemed to blame the victim, claiming:

“We know that Mr. Kessler had attended these rallies before and had been very abusive in the past,”

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/watch-live-ventura-co-da-announces-charges-in-death-of-jewish-demonstrator/

• Sad 3

On 11/1/2023 at 8:51 PM, popmom said:

That is about who I do follow plus govt people too,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-24/dublin-stabbing-leaves-five-in-hospital/103145222

There has been a stabbing attack near a school in Dublin followed by protests/riots.

So far it's unclear what the motive behind the stabbing was. The riots are unconnected, a small minority of xenophobic locals taking advantage of an unusually unsettled day. It's awful--they are out rioting and looting with no cause, just aimless anger. I'm so sad for one of my favorite cities.

DS and all his friends are laying low. I hate this for them, and for such a lovely, typically welcoming and open city. Like everywhere, it only takes a few. 😞 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

So far it's unclear what the motive behind the stabbing was. The riots are unconnected, a small minority of xenophobic locals taking advantage of an unusually unsettled day. It's awful--they are out rioting and looting with no cause, just aimless anger. I'm so sad for one of my favorite cities.

DS and all his friends are laying low. I hate this for them, and for such a lovely, typically welcoming and open city. Like everywhere, it only takes a few. 😞 

My understanding was the riots were in response to an assumption about the motivation behind the stabbings? And yes so far it seems no motive has been determined 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My understanding was the riots were in response to an assumption about the motivation behind the stabbings? And yes so far it seems no motive has been determined 

if what I'm hearing is correct, the man in question re the stabbing is Algerian and has lived in Ireland for a long time. The assumption is that the riots are therefore anti immigrant, but in true stupid fashion the idiots conveniently overlook the fact that it was a Brazilian immigrant who helped save the children and quarantine the assailant. 

The stabbing--a horrific event in of itself--was merely an excuse for these scrotes to cause mayhem. It doesn't appear to be out of concern for the victims, just ugliness.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pinball said:

After being held captive nearly 2 months, 13 innocent victims (including very young children and elderly women) of Hamas terror attacks are back in Israel in exchange for convicted criminals.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/13-israelis-including-4-kids-back-in-israel-after-held-hostage-in-gaza-for-49-days/

I have been waking up every morning for weeks now hoping for some news like this. 

It looks like most of the released were elderly with a couple of children. I really hope the kids are home soon as well.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MEmama said:

if what I'm hearing is correct, the man in question re the stabbing is Algerian and has lived in Ireland for a long time. The assumption is that the riots are therefore anti immigrant, but in true stupid fashion the idiots conveniently overlook the fact that it was a Brazilian immigrant who helped save the children and quarantine the assailant. 

The stabbing--a horrific event in of itself--was merely an excuse for these scrotes to cause mayhem. It doesn't appear to be out of concern for the victims, just ugliness.

I was just reading more about this now.  Horrible.  I hope your ds is safe and feels safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Eos said:

I was just reading more about this now.  Horrible.  I hope your ds is safe and feels safe.

Thank you! He’s fine, as are his friends. They are all lying low this weekend, out of the way of potential troublemakers. 

Truly the riots were contained to a small area and the idiots involved aren’t representative of the country, which is well known to be one of the most welcoming in Europe. It’s a tiny minority, as in all counties. I hate that it’s happening there, but importantly so does the vast majority of the population. They aren’t going to stand for bigotry to take over their beautiful city and country. 

• Like 7

Three Vermont students who were seen at protests wearing Keffiyeh (so?) were shot last week. A man has been arrested. From Reuters 

“The suspect in the shooting of three college students of Palestinian descent in Vermont over the weekend pleaded not guilty to three counts of attempted second-degree murder on Monday and was ordered by a judge to be held without bond.

The suspect, Jason J. Eaton, 48, appeared at an arraignment at the Chittenden County Criminal Court in Burlington via a remote video feed from the county jail, where he has been held since his arrest on Sunday.

The attack is under investigation by local and federal authorities as a suspected hate-motivated crime. At the time of the shooting, two of the victims were wearing a keffiyeh, the traditional black-and-white checkered head scarf commonly worn in the Middle East, police said.”

he appears to have far right content on his pages

• Sad 5

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I feel really happy to see so many of the child hostages returned. I hope they return the baby soon 😞 and the children get all the help they need to process the trauma they are going through.

I REALLY hope that trauma therapists are provided immediately. I cannot imagine their terror! It is horrible enough to think of adults going through it, but babies and children is just beyond heartbreaking.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Three Vermont students who were seen at protests wearing Keffiyeh (so?) were shot last week. A man has been arrested. From Reuters 

“The suspect in the shooting of three college students of Palestinian descent in Vermont over the weekend pleaded not guilty to three counts of attempted second-degree murder on Monday and was ordered by a judge to be held without bond.

The suspect, Jason J. Eaton, 48, appeared at an arraignment at the Chittenden County Criminal Court in Burlington via a remote video feed from the county jail, where he has been held since his arrest on Sunday.

The attack is under investigation by local and federal authorities as a suspected hate-motivated crime. At the time of the shooting, two of the victims were wearing a keffiyeh, the traditional black-and-white checkered head scarf commonly worn in the Middle East, police said.”

He also has far- left stuff too.   Plus mentally ill so shouldn't have a weapon.

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I REALLY hope that trauma therapists are provided immediately. I cannot imagine their terror! It is horrible enough to think of adults going through it, but babies and children is just beyond heartbreaking.

Yes, they arw providing help.  Unfortunately l. Israel has a lot of experience w terrorism.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I've been reading about this, being pretty local. It's as impossible to imagine in Burlington as it was in Lewiston (different motives, but similar nonsensical violence), and in Dublin. It's all so heartbreaking 😞 

• Sad 5

48 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I read that 8/12 of those returned today have lost one or both parents in the initial attacks - some know because they saw before they were taken but others are yet to be told.

• Sad 4