Menu

How can I tell what’s in style?

Teaching3bears

When I google, it often shows runway models wearing things I would never wear even for a fancy occasion.  Right now, I only wear casual clothing.  I will probably buy myself about 4 tops and a pair of pants over the next few months and probably mostly from the thrift store.  I just want to know what’s in style.  Any advice, pics or links to pics?  

You can go to department store websites (like Macy's or Kohl's), look in a particular clothing category, and then search by "Bestsellers."

Honestly, you can't go wrong with simple, classic pieces. I'd just get whatever type of pants you prefer with some colored or patterned tops and maybe a cardigan or two.

Hope you find some fun things. 🙂 

• Like 10

Seconding Mercy's suggestion to go for classic pieces that will last a long time; they may not be the newest hottest trend, but they're never really out of style either. For example, wide legged pants are very trendy right now, but they're not flattering on most people and they'll be out of style in a few years, so a nice pair of straight leg pants that fit you well and look flattering is a much better investment. 

You mentioned pants plus 4 tops, so I would go for a pair of nicely tailored slacks in a dark neutral color, a cardigan or blazer in the same color, plus 2 tops or blouses and a pretty sweater that coordinate with the pants and cardigan/jacket. Add a few classic accessories like a scarf and simple earrings, and that should cover you for most non-casual occasions.

• Like 6

You might want to look up capsule wardrobes. That will show you classic pieces with a lot of versatility. 

If you are on Instagram there are a lot of people who put together budget fashion looks. We can recommend “classic” - which I believe is wise - but so much depends on your lifestyle. You should feel cute and comfy in your clothes, and one person’s classic may be another’s too-buttoned-up. Look for classic shapes, but in fabrics that will best fit your personal style. I mean, I love linen, but I don’t iron anything anymore and save my dry cleaning dollars for special occasion garments. 

• Like 3

One of my boys always knows what is in style and I never really knew how because he isn’t spending his time looking at clothing websites or reading about fashion or anything. I finally realized that he really notices what other people are wearing. Wherever he is he pays attention to how people are dressed. I have started doing that and I feel more comfortable knowing what is in style now. So if I am running errands I just purposefully notice what I see others wearing. 

I also look at Maurice’s website and if I find something I like it will often suggest several ways to wear it. 

• Like 2

This is my method. It is not scientific. 😁

Hate it with the fire of a thousands suns = Most in style thing available

Hate it was significant disdain = Highly stylish

Hate it = Fairly in style

Dislike it = Just barely in style

Meh = Classic, won't ever be "in" but also won't be "out"

Kind of maybe sort of like it = Starting to trend out

Like it = Out of Style

Really like it = Very out of style

Love it = So out of style people will turn their heads and stare

This is of course of no value to you unless you post pictures of things you think might be in style, and then I give you my reaction so you can check this handy chart.

😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

I get good ideas by finding someone who posts fashion outfits but has my body type on instagram. You can search "mid size fashion" or "plus size fashion" etc depending on your body type.  It took awhile but I found a mid size tall girl, plus a couple others with big tummies!  They post outfits but then you can follow the links for the posts in their bio.  So if I like something I can actually go and buy it!  Some of them I weeded out because they only posted expensive things.  The ones I still follow wear things from Amazon, AE, even Walmart sometimes.  This has really updated my wardrobe!

Edit, here are a few I follow:  

She's tall like me but I'm bigger than her   https://www.instagram.com/thatothertallgirl/

https://www.instagram.com/moreclothesthansense/

https://www.instagram.com/balkanina/

https://www.instagram.com/oliviafredacurves/

Edited by goldberry
  • Thanks 3

Talbots does a good job of staying on the classic side while still incorporating a few trends (especially in colors, cuts, accessories). I can’t think of anything I’ve bought there in the last 5 years that’s truly out of style now. If you sign up for their email list you can buy most things for 30-45% off. I’d try there.

• Like 2

Agreeing with a lot that has been said and adding: go for what looks good on you.  It might be that tunic shirts are in style but you have disproportionately short legs. That tunic look might not be the best one for you.  Or if you have a short waist and long legs, then tucking in the shirt might make you look like a spider—not a good look.  🕷️

i feel pretty much the same way about hairstyles. A great mercy in my life, as far as the photographic evidence goes, is that in the 80’s, I simply couldn’t do Big Hair. 🤭

• Like 3

I already have an extensive wardrobe.  This is because I keep things so much of my wardrobe is 8 years old and I even have stuff that’s over 20 years old but still looks fine because it is classic.  This works for me.  I like the idea of a capsule wardrobe but I think it would not work for me really.  I just have time to buy a few things every season.  I partly do this just for fun.  I sometimes like trendy but I will not be wearing wide-leg pants anytime soon because I am worried about tripping on them!  I get rid of clothing when it is ripped or worn-out or if it looks really bad on me or if it is completely out of fashion.  That’s why I want to know what’s in fashion.  I used to figure it out by looking at other people but now I rarely get out and it is rushed and the people where I live only wear hoodies and t-shirts that look like they are several years old.  

I have a super classic uniform. Every year, I update side-pieces:  scarves, a jacket or sweater, and call it good. 

My failing (or strength) is buying multiple pieces in different colors.  Failing—boring.  Strength—I like all that I own. 

DS saw a photo of me from 43 years ago and couldn’t guess the decade based on hairstyle or clothing.  Wrinkles and sag got him within 18 years.  I’m ok with that.  
Do what looks good on YOU.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I would suggest looking at CAbI.  They are always seasonal, on trend, but not overly trendy.  You can wear their stuff for more than just a year or two, but it’s not overly boringly classic nor is it overly youthful or ‘middle aged’—it’s kind of in the sweet spot.

I have at least 4 items in my closet from 30 years ago when it was still Carol Anderson.  And I weep that I bought only one of the go-to skirts.  

Edit—I just looked at the site…and found nothing.  So…ymmv. 

Edited by Resilient

I try to find bloggers who are around my age and have a similar style as me. One I like is Jo-Lynne Shane. Basically everything she shows is way too expensive for me, but it’s easy to duplicate something similar if I like it from stores like Old Navy or whatever.