Menu

One more question Floridians—please advise

Harriet Vane

Final update in the thread below. Long story short I’m home. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your help.

I’m at the airport now hoping to get on a 1:30 flight.

One more question—How much time do I allow for going to the airport? I’m concerned about people leaving town ahead of the hurricane. Normally I would leave St Augustine at 10:30, get to the airport at 11:30 with two hours to return the rental car before my 1:30 flight. How much extra time do I allow for traffic tomorrow?

Thanks for your local hurricane know-how.

ETA—We changed my ticket—I will try to leave tomorrow. Thanks for the input. 

Floridians—I’m in St. Augustine, due to fly back on Wednesday. Should I try to go home tomorrow or wait until the hurricane passes?

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 1

I’m not from FL, but grew up on the gulf coast.  From what the National Hurricane Center is forecasting, you will probably not be able to fly on Wednesday.  You can see if there’s a flight tomorrow.  If there’s not, keep the number for your airline handy and be ready for the call that your flight is cancelled.  Call the airline ASAP and reschedule.  Then you won’t have fees for changing the flight.  I did that when a hurricane was impacting a flight several years ago.  I called so fast the service agent couldn’t even see the cancellation on her computer yet.  

Be aware that if you don’t leave today, you may have to wait until Friday, depending on what happens and how long it takes the airlines to get planes back in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was a kid there was a hurricane Elena (about 500 miles wide) that had a similar track basically came in and circled Cedar Key for two days then turned around and went back to hit Mississippi. That was almost 40 years ago, and it’s rare. But the point is, no one really knows what a hurricane will do. If you need to get home quickly try and go now. This one is supposed to be moving fast so it might not weaken much. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a good plan to get out early! Hope you make it. I saw the tracks and haven't kept up when everything is landing. Hotels down there are usually cement construction, very safe. You just don't need the hassle of being there with power out, etc. if you can avoid it. Let us know you've made it back! 🙂

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Harriet Vane changed the title to One more question Floridians—please advise

I just saw that one model is forecasting it will increase to a cat 4 before landfall. Which might make Floridians more careful than they currently are. I’d go early and ask if you can go standby on an even earlier flight. If local stations start discussing the same thing the airport will probably get busy sooner. 

Sorry your trip was cut short. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CinV said:

If you are going to Jacksonville,  I would leave by 10 because the airport is going to be super busy tomorrow and there is only one security line. Traffic is probably going to be worse than usual, too.

I'm in Jacksonville and the roads were worse than usual already yesterday. There are some who are going to evacuate but most people aren't. Right now they are out shopping for hurricane supplies. The one security line does move into separate security checks so hopefully they will have all of those open to help keep things moving. I've never flown out before a hurricane so I can't tell you any more than that, unfortunately. But I do agree, 10 is a good idea.

My sister is just north of Tampa and sent me this earlier. 

I am getting FEMA deployment texts so I know they’re mobilizing as far north us as in New York for possible deployment. I actually considered volunteering but I am flying to Florida with my oldest two kids for DD’s 11th birthday present in two weeks anyway and my kids wouldn’t forgive me if I couldn’t do it. 

A9F023AB-F355-4426-87F7-CED2CFE3A544.jpeg

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, Katy said:

@Harriet Vane did you get out ok? 

Yes. Sorry I didn’t update sooner. It was a dreary time through airports and a layover and a big rush to edit a niece’s resume and some job stuff for dh when got home. Traffic was fine getting to the airport and though the hours were long I am so glad to be home.

The friends I visit in St Augustine are elderly and one of them has dementia. Trying to get a straight answer about some of these logistics was kinda tough, so I appreciate everyone’s input in this thread. I’m a little worried about them but they’ve weathered other hurricanes and they have a daughter who is not far.

• Like 17