Menu

Do you know how to pump gas?

mommyoffive

10 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Even with self serve in my area of PA, few gas stations are open 24 hours. Someone has to be on the premises, whether or not they’re pumping gas for people.

I have noticed that a lot of gas stations shortened their hours due to Covid and never went back to their old schedules. We used to have several gas stations in our area that were either open 24/7 or until midnight every night, but now there are only a few. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kokotg said:

That's more chatting than I'm up for a lot of days 😂 Like, seriously--I can talk to strangers, I sometimes even enjoy talking to strangers, but in a situation like that where I can do something perfectly well all by myself, I'd much rather just do it and save my human interaction energy for something else. 

I'm a super introvert who teaches all day so I definitely prefer not to do casual chatting when I'm shopping, etc.   I ALWAYS use the self-service registers at stores if they are available.   

Getting gas doesn't bother me at all.   Maybe because it's what I'm used to but it barely feels like an interaction with a real person.  I'm sure the lack of interaction would bother some people but it's really not much of a thing.   There is no chatting.  

I do have a few 24 hour stations around me despite them having to be manned.   I'm in a pretty major metropolitan/very densely populated area though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm a super introvert who teaches all day so I definitely prefer not to do casual chatting when I'm shopping, etc.   I ALWAYS use the self-service registers at stores if they are available.   

Getting gas doesn't bother me at all.   Maybe because it's what I'm used to but it barely feels like an interaction with a real person.  I'm sure the lack of interaction would bother some people but it's really not much of a thing.   There is no chatting.  

Yeah, I do think it's a matter of what you're used to. Like now I'll generally pick self checkout, but before that was a thing it didn't occur to me to mind that there was a real life person at the register. So if I did it all the time, I'm sure full serve wouldn't really register with me, but as it is a slight feeling of dread comes over me at gas stations when I'm traveling and remember I'm in NJ. It's fine; I just don't prefer it.

3 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I asked about that and was told that it was because it isn't safe to pump gas.   I said, "So then you have someone do it all day?"   

I assume they meant it was unsafe for amateurs.  Which is probably what the attendant was told to say to customers who asked/complained about it so they could have some response, even if it seemed nonsensical.  (I hate seeing out-of-state customers hassling gas station attendants in NJ. They didn't make the law.  Which is not to imply that shawthorne44 was complaining; I'm just riffing off the post.) 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2023 at 3:40 AM, Laura Corin said:

I had a colleague who only ever filled up his car half full of petrol. Otherwise,  he said, you are using petrol to carry petrol around. 

I can see the argument but I'm not organised enough to do that - I  fill the tank and refill at 50 miles left, unless travelling. 

Eta - an attendant taking your card to the pump would only sometimes work here. All cards are chip and pin, and you need to enter your pin after a certain number of tap transactions - frequency  known only to the card company. 

I get the argument, but to me it is worth less stress than any savings there maybe in that.  I would guess for me that is very very low.  I am normally carrying around 6 or 7 people in my car plus all their gear so my car is already heavy.   

• Like 3

On 8/13/2023 at 4:40 AM, Laura Corin said:

I had a colleague who only ever filled up his car half full of petrol. Otherwise,  he said, you are using petrol to carry petrol around. 

This reminds me of a guy we would run into when I lived in the Portland suburbs. He called himself the Salmon Man, and he'd hang out in parking lots (I remember seeing him at Coffee People mostly) to talk to people about things they could do to save gas which in turn would help the salmon. One of his things was to remove the license plate frame to save on weight.  We enjoyed talking to him and giving him the "salmon wave" when we saw him, but I was always a little worried he'd see us get into our Suburban (which usually was full of stuff in the back). 

(BTW he rode a bike) 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, marbel said:

I assume they meant it was unsafe for amateurs.  Which is probably what the attendant was told to say to customers who asked/complained about it so they could have some response, even if it seemed nonsensical.  (I hate seeing out-of-state customers hassling gas station attendants in NJ. They didn't make the law.  Which is not to imply that shawthorne44 was complaining; I'm just riffing off the post.) 

Oh, I'd have neve said anything to the employee.    I was there for a work and I was talking to the main person I was working with.  We'd reached the casual somewhat-friend level.  

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 7:11 AM, shawthorne44 said:

I asked about that and was told that it was because it isn't safe to pump gas.   I said, "So then you have someone do it all day?"   

On 8/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, marbel said:

I assume they meant it was unsafe for amateurs.  Which is probably what the attendant was told to say to customers who asked/complained about it so they could have some response, even if it seemed nonsensical.  

https://www.nj.gov/labor/safetyandhealth/resources-support/laws-regulations/gasact.shtml

N.J.S.A. 34:3A-4 et seq. RETAIL GASOLINE DISPENSING SAFETY
34:3A-4. Findings, declarations

The Legislature finds and declares that:

a. Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed;

b. At self-service gasoline stations in other states, cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of the activities of customers dispensing gasoline, or to give their undivided attention to observing customers; therefore, when customers, rather than attendants, are permitted to dispense fuel, it is far more difficult to enforce compliance with safety procedures;

c. The State needs stronger measures to enforce both compliance by customers with the ban on self-service and compliance by attendants with safety procedures;

d. The higher general liability insurance premium rates charged to self-service stations reflect the fact that customers who leave their vehicles to dispense gasoline or other inflammable liquids face significant inconveniences and dangers, including the risks of crime and fall-related personal injury, which are a special burden to drivers with physical infirmities, such as the handicapped and some senior citizens;

e. Exposure to toxic gasoline fumes represents a health hazard when customers dispense their own gasoline, particularly in the case of pregnant women;

f. The significantly higher prices usually charged for full-service gasoline in states where self-service is permitted results in discrimination against low income individuals, who are under greater economic pressure to undergo the inconvenience and hazards of dispensing their own gasoline;

g. The increasing use of self-service has contributed to the diminished availability of repair facilities and maintenance services at gasoline stations;

h. Even in filling stations which offer both self-service and full-service gasoline, customers are less likely, because of the much higher price usually charged for full service, to have attendants make needed maintenance checks, thus causing significant neglect of maintenance and danger both to the customers and to other motorists, as well as the unneeded costly repairs which often result from deferred maintenance;

i. The prohibition of customer self-service does not constitute a restraint of trade in derogation of the general public interest because the Legislature finds no conclusive evidence that self-service gasoline provides a sustained reduction in gasoline prices charged to customers; and

j. A prohibition of self-service gasoline will therefore promote the common welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general.”

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

e. Exposure to toxic gasoline fumes represents a health hazard when customers dispense their own gasoline, particularly in the case of pregnant women;

Are these gas attendants outfitted in PPE (personal protection equipment)?? I've never been to a full service station before. Well I've seen them in Hong Kong, but there owning a car is a luxury so the full service thing went along with the luxurious feel more so than safety.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Are these gas attendants outfitted in PPE (personal protection equipment)?? I've never been to a full service station before..

I have been to several. It is basically that gas station attendants are covered under workplace insurance while customers are not. 
It is similar to fumes from tires are toxic and hopefully staff at tire centers/shops have good healthcare coverage and insurance from their employers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed;

b. At self-service gasoline stations in other states, cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of the activities of customers dispensing gasoline, or to give their undivided attention to observing customers; therefore, when customers, rather than attendants, are permitted to dispense fuel, it is far more difficult to enforce compliance with safety procedures;

For the nothing it’s worth, I’ve never seen anyone smoke near a self serve gas pump. I HAVE seen my husband, former NJ gas attendant, pump with the engine on. 😕 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

For the nothing it’s worth, I’ve never seen anyone smoke near a self serve gas pump. I HAVE seen my husband, former NJ gas attendant, pump with the engine on. 😕 

This law was passed in 1949. I have seen people smoking near gas pumps as a kid in the 70s/80s. So while smoking near gas pumps are a rarity now, I can understand why this verbiage was included when the law was enacted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

Are these gas attendants outfitted in PPE (personal protection equipment)?? I've never been to a full service station before. Well I've seen them in Hong Kong, but there owning a car is a luxury so the full service thing went along with the luxurious feel more so than safety.

Oh no, not at all. The gas station attendants just wear regular street clothes. 

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

We see people smoking at the pumps around here.  We even watched as someone was pumping gas and the passenger in their car flicked a cigarette out the window about a foot from the pump.  The wind blew it under their car. 

Ds and I had just been talking about crazy stuff going on lately, and then this person flicked that cigarette and we kind of joked about getting blown up at the gas station - as we skedaddled out of there as fast as we could.  

On 8/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, Terabith said:

I don't think there are even any full service gas stations around here.  Most gas stations have a sign about pushing a buzzer if you are disabled and need assistance, but even then, only if more than one person is there, which it hardly ever is.  I think it would be seriously inconvenient to be a disabled driver (or non driver) around here.  So yes, everyone in our house can pump gas.  

If I could not pump my own gas, I think I'd try to go to QT all the time. I notice they have many attendants in their stores everytime I am there. They are also well lit so waiting in the car would not be so scary

• Like 1

When I was a kid, in full-service times, a lot of the gas service guys in our city weren't so fancy.  It didn't seem like the kind of job you needed a high IQ for.  I really doubt they were all more careful than I am at the gas pump.  (Not that I'm uncommonly careful.)

Maybe the hiring standards in NJ and Oregon are way higher than in the rest of the country....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKL said:

When I was a kid, in full-service times, a lot of the gas service guys in our city weren't so fancy.  It didn't seem like the kind of job you needed a high IQ for.  I really doubt they were all more careful than I am at the gas pump.  (Not that I'm uncommonly careful.)

Maybe the hiring standards in NJ and Oregon are way higher than in the rest of the country....

Wow, that was incredibly condescending. 

No, a "high IQ" isn't a requirement to pump gas, but I don't know what that has to do with being careful. What does make most of the attendants careful is that they don't want to get fired from their jobs, and if they were spilling gas all over the cars, people would complain about them. Also, just because the job doesn't require tremendous skill and training doesn't mean that the employees don't want to do their jobs properly.

Seriously, if a high IQ was required to pump gas, I think a healthy percentage of the general population would never be able to own a car, because apparently they would be too dimwitted to figure out how to use the self-serve pumps in every other state in the country.

I'm sure you didn't intend your post to sound mean, but one of the great things about having full service gas stations in NJ is that they employ a lot of people, and the job is easy to do, so the requirements for employment are low. Because yeah, people without high IQs need jobs, too. And so do lots of other people (with a full range of IQs!) who are between jobs or who are working their way through college, or who just want to earn some extra money. 

I mean, if you want to avoid full service gas stations, you do you. And if you're in NJ and have to trust some lowly attendant to pump your gas for you, feel free to get out of the car afterward and inspect around the tank for drips. But please don't insult the intelligence of gas station attendants. It's not fair, it's not accurate, and it's not nice. Those men and women work hard. They are on their feet and moving around all day, in all kinds of weather, and at all kinds of hours, dealing with a lot of obnoxious and condescending customers. I think they deserve some respect.

Edited by Catwoman
I can't type today!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

No, a "high IQ" isn't a requirement to pump gas, but I don't know what that has to do with being careful. What does make most of the attendants careful is that they don't want to get fired from their jobs, and if they were spilling gas all over the cars, people would complain about them. Also, just because the job doesn't require tremendous skill and training doesn't mean that the employees don't want to do their jobs properly.

Seriously, if a high IQ was required to pump gas, I think a healthy percentage of the general population would never be able to own a car, because apparently they would be too dimwitted to figure out how to use the self-serve pumps in every other state in the country.

I'm sure you didn't intend your post to sound mean, but one of the great things about having full service gas stations in NJ is that they employ a lot of people, and the job is easy to do, so the requirements for employment are low. Because yeah, people without high IQs need jobs, too. And so do lots of other people (with a full range of IQs!) who are between jobs or who are working their way through college, or who just want to earn some extra money. 

I mean, if you want to avoid full service gas stations, you do you. And if you're in NJ and have to trust some lowly attendant to pump your gas for you, feel free to get out of the car afterward and inspect around the tank for drips. But please don't insult the intelligence of gas station attendants. It's not fair, it's not accurate, and it's not nice. Those men and women work hard. They are on their feet and moving around all day, in all kinds of weather, and at all kinds of hours, dealing with a lot of obnoxious and condescending customers. I think they deserve some respect.

I took @SKL's post to be more about the NJ statutes. They seem to imply that the average citizen lacks the necessary knowledge and skill set needed to pump gas. If I were a citizen that might rub me a tad bit wrong. I'm not a fan of legislatures or any elected officials implying that their citizens are incompetent, especially when it's a task that almost the entire rest of the country views as very basic.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

LOL you just agreed with me 100%.

The laws in those states are supposedly based on the logic that everyday drivers are too dumb and lazy to pump gas properly.  If that were the case, there would be nonstop explosions at gas stations across the country as we stupid untrained idiots dump gasoline everywhere and then throw our cigarette butts into the puddles.

I am all for employment.  Apparently the majority of states do not require full serve gasoline laws in order to prop up employment.

1 minute ago, SKL said:

The laws in those states are supposedly based on the logic that everyday drivers are too dumb and lazy to pump gas properly.  If that were the case, there would be nonstop explosions at gas stations across the country as we stupid untrained idiots dump gasoline everywhere and then throw our cigarette butts into the puddles.

I am all for employment.  Apparently the majority of states do not require full serve gasoline laws in order to prop up employment.

[According to a quick google search, the unemployment rate in NJ is higher than in my state and in the US as a whole, so ....]

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SKL said:

No, I didn't agree with you.

You were rude and condescending toward people who work as gas station attendants in NJ.

No one has said that the reasoning behind law in NJ is accurate. No one has said that most people are perfectly capable of pumping their own gas. Several of us say we like the law because we prefer full service. But no one said they wouldn't be able to pump their own gas or that they felt it would be dangerous to do so.

You were pretty clear that you think you're just way more intelligent than gas station employees, and whether or not that's true, it certainly doesn't make you a better person than they are.

19 minutes ago, SKL said:

[According to a quick google search, the unemployment rate in NJ is higher than in my state and in the US as a whole, so ....]

So apparently you have issues with NJ in general? I mean, you seriously went to the trouble to do a google search about this? That's so weird.

Think about it another way --if all those gas station attendants were to lose their jobs, that would make unemployment even higher. Why would you want to take people's jobs away from them? 

Oh, I forgot. Those people aren't "high IQ" so they wouldn't be careful enough with your car, so I guess they're not worthy of employment in a job you deem unnecessary. 🤨

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

No, I didn't agree with you.

You were rude and condescending toward people who work as gas station attendants in NJ.

No one has said that the reasoning behind law in NJ is accurate. No one has said that most people are perfectly capable of pumping their own gas. Several of us say we like the law because we prefer full service. But no one said they wouldn't be able to pump their own gas or that they felt it would be dangerous to do so.

You were pretty clear that you think you're just way more intelligent than gas station employees, and whether or not that's true, it certainly doesn't make you a better person than they are.

Well if you read what I actually wrote, you will see that I wasn't talking about ALL gas station attendants.

I remember those days and yes, like it or not, there were lots of gas station attendants who weren't that careful.  Because the job requirements weren't that high.  I didn't say everyone working there is dumb and lazy, but let's be honest, it's not an elite job.  Everything you said about the job backs me up.

I've had lots of jobs that didn't require a high IQ.  I'm proud of those jobs.  But I wouldn't want my state laws to declare that most people are too dumb to do those tasks.

42 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I took @SKL's post to be more about the NJ statutes. They seem to imply that the average citizen lacks the necessary knowledge and skill set needed to pump gas. If I were a citizen that might rub me a tad bit wrong. I'm not a fan of legislatures or any elected officials implying that their citizens are incompetent, especially when it's a task that almost the entire rest of the country views as very basic.

The part that I disagreed with was she was talking about how she didn't trust "low IQ" attendants to be as careful with her car as she herself would be, even though she admitted that she's not uncommonly careful.

Also, she seemed to be taking a cheap shot at the intelligence of gas station attendants. She even made a couple of snarky remarks about how she remembered gas station attendants being "not so fancy," and saying, "Maybe the hiring standards in NJ and Oregon are way higher than in the rest of the country." 

The reasoning behind the NJ statutes might be questionable (and outdated,) but I don't think it was necessary for her to act like gas station attendants aren't very bright -- and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in NJ are perfectly satisfied with those attendants pumping our gas for us. 

Just now, SKL said:

Well if you read what I actually wrote, you will see that I wasn't talking about ALL gas station attendants.

I remember those days and yes, like it or not, there were lots of gas station attendants who weren't that careful.  Because the job requirements weren't that high.  I didn't say everyone working there is dumb and lazy, but let's be honest, it's not an elite job.  Everything you said about the job backs me up.

I've had lots of jobs that didn't require a high IQ.  I'm proud of those jobs.  But I wouldn't want my state laws to declare that most people are too dumb to do those tasks.

Since you live in Ohio, I'm not sure why you feel so strongly about laws that don't affect you in any way.

I guess you shouldn't move to NJ.

Problem solved. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The part that I disagreed with was she was talking about how she didn't trust "low IQ" attendants to be as careful with her car as she herself would be, even though she admitted that she's not uncommonly careful.

Also, she seemed to be taking a cheap shot at the intelligence of gas station attendants. She even made a couple of snarky remarks about how she remembered gas station attendants being "not so fancy," and saying, "Maybe the hiring standards in NJ and Oregon are way higher than in the rest of the country." 

The reasoning behind the NJ statutes might be questionable (and outdated,) but I don't think it was necessary for her to act like gas station attendants aren't very bright -- and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in NJ are perfectly satisfied with those attendants pumping our gas for us.

Where did I say the bolded?

My point was that there's no need for special training to do that task.  My kids were doing it before they were 10yo.  There's no legitimate need for a law preventing me from pumping my own gas.  And I don't believe there's value added in having an attendant pump gas that I'm perfectly willing and able to pump.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Where did I say the bolded?

My point was that there's no need for special training to do that task.  My kids were doing it before they were 10yo.  There's no legitimate need for a law preventing me from pumping my own gas.

I'm sorry, but it is absolutely bizarre that you care so much about whether or not people in NJ are legally prevented from pumping their own gas when you do not live in NJ.

And why would a 9 or 10yo be pumping gas??? Don't most states have laws prohibiting young children from pumping gas? 

Edited by Catwoman

Just now, Catwoman said:

I'm sorry, but it is absolutely bizarre that you care so much about whether or not people in NJ are legally prevented from pumping their own gas when you do not live in NJ.

And why would a 10yo be pumping gas??? Don't most states have laws prohibiting young children from pumping gas? 

Amazingly, it's not uncommon for young kids to pump gas, and despite that, the nation has not blown up.

Can you please explain to me what it is about pumping gas that is too hard for a kid to do?

I don't really care what NJ voters do, no, but I think legislators should be honest.  The law is not to protect citizens from idiots at the gas pump, it's to prop up employment.

I don't know what scare tactics they use (or what lies they tell) every time this comes up for a vote in NJ (if it ever does).

13 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I do not live in NJ, but I care as a matter of principle about unnecessary legislation that limits what people can and cannot do.
Prohibiting people from pumping their own gas and forcing them to use the services of an attendant is fundamentally no different than prohibiting people from educating their own children and forcing them to send them to school.
(Just that the arguments that prohibit homeschooling for the good of society are much more broad and compelling than the arguments that prohibit gas pumping.)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't really care what NJ voters do, no, but I think legislators should be honest.  The law is not to protect citizens from idiots at the gas pump, it's to prop up employment.

I don't know what scare tactics they use (or what lies they tell) every time this comes up for a vote in NJ (if it ever does).

Since when are legislators in any state known to be particularly honest? You're making a big issue out of something that doesn't matter to the vast majority of NJ residents. If we're going to worry about legislative dishonesty, I think we've all got bigger fish to fry in every state. This isn't something that keeps coming up for a vote. It just isn't a hot button issue for most people.

You're being ridiculous because you are so desperate to prove your point.

11 minutes ago, SKL said:

Amazingly, it's not uncommon for young kids to pump gas, and despite that, the nation has not blown up.

Can you please explain to me what it is about pumping gas that is too hard for a kid to do?

Ok, now you are just being utterly ridiculous and it's not worth continuing this. 

You are seriously arguing that little kids should be allowed to pump gas? You think it's totally safe and there are no risks? You're seriously saying that your own children pumped the gas into your car before they were 10 years old???

Come now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I do not live in NJ, but I care as a matter of principle about unnecessary legislation that limits what people can and cannot do.
Prohibiting people from pumping their own gas and forcing them to use the services of a professional is fundamentally no different than prohibiting people from educating their own children and forcing them to send them to school.
(Just that the arguments that prohibit homeschooling for the good of society are much more broad and compelling than the arguments that prohibit gas pumping.)

In NJ, most of us like this particular "unnecessary regulation." It's incredibly convenient and our gas prices are still cheaper than in many other states, so it's not like we're paying premium prices for the extra service. 

If the people of NJ decide that they don't want full service gas stations, I'm sure the law will be changed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ok, now you are just being utterly ridiculous and it's not worth continuing this. 

You are seriously arguing that little kids should be allowed to pump gas? You think it's totally safe and there are no risks? You're seriously saying that your own children pumped the gas into your car before they were 10 years old???

Come now.

You are not answering my question.

To your questions, yes, my kids pumped gas before age 10, and the risks are pretty low.  The signage educates the adults and the adults educate the kids.  Really not a big deal.

Riding a bike is more dangerous than pumping gas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKL said:

No scare tactics.  When it comes up for a vote, it gets voted down.  Most NJ voters don't want to pump their own gas or they don't care either way, so it never changes.   

Around my area, pumping gas is a very common job for new immigrants.  

• Thanks 1

I assume that the law is just saying that people will be allowed to pump their own gas.  Seems to me that people really want someone to pump their gas, then some stations will stay full-service (and charge more for the service).   Then everyone's happy.  

I wouldn't pay the money, but then don't buy the higher octane either and obviously some people do.  

On 8/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, Arcadia said:

I have been to several. It is basically that gas station attendants are covered under workplace insurance while customers are not. 
It is similar to fumes from tires are toxic and hopefully staff at tire centers/shops have good healthcare coverage and insurance from their employers.

This.  There are a number of industries where workplace exposure to fumes is an issue. Historically, exposure to leaded gas--whether it was from living near airports (still an issue today for smaller craft) or having your water table near tanks, etc. was something to avoid. I think a lot of the legislation re: pumping gas came from those concerns.  Today's gasolines are safer in terms of exposure, but there are still benzene fumes and other things that aren't lovely in terms of what they do to the body (aplastic anemia and organ toxicity are disease tied to exposure).  A lot of things that we thought were only toxic at higher doses of exposure (ie if you're an oil & gas field or plant worker) are proving to be issues at lower exposure.  The petroleum engineer in the family has already had very serious medical issues tied to years of field work.

Pick your studies carefully as to what you read, as a lot have ties to the industry, but there is stuff out there like this that should give most of us a bit of pause and make us think about standing downwind when pumping: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8989842/  MTBE, which was the additive studied in the link, was phased out in the late 2000s precisely because it was causing issues (and was replaced with ethanol). But, there are still various things remaining in gasoline that aren't great.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other, having lived in a variety of states, except to say that I like having my gas pumped for me at no additional cost has been great for me where we currently live and when I have lived elsewhere I have always stood downwind and wash my hands immediately if there was any dermal exposure. 

The way my brain works, it seems more logical for everyone to pump their own gas if exposure to the fumes is toxic.  My few minutes a month seems better than an attendant's 8 hours a day.

I don't recall seeing attendants wearing protective masks.

44 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

I assume that the law is just saying that people will be allowed to pump their own gas.  Seems to me that people really want someone to pump their gas, then some stations will stay full-service (and charge more for the service).   Then everyone's happy.  

I wouldn't pay the money, but then don't buy the higher octane either and obviously some people do.  

In NJ, we don't pay extra for full service and our full service gas prices are already lower than people are paying for self-serve gas in most other states, so there would be no reason for NJ residents to vote to change a law that will do nothing more than make our lives less convenient. 🙂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

In NJ, we don't pay extra for full service and our full service gas prices are already lower than people are paying for self-serve gas in most other states, so there would be no reason for NJ residents to vote to change a law that will do nothing more than make our lives less convenient. 🙂 

The cost of full serve is getting paid by you some way or other.

Another poster mentioned that your state has relatively lower gas prices due to lower transportation costs to get the gas to the pumps.  Other things being equal, the prices would be even lower if you didn't have to pay all those people to pump the gas.

There are a lot of people who do prefer self serve in NJ ... particularly lower-income groups ... but apparently they aren't the majority.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I was in a place where full service was even an option. I'm old, and I remember when all stations were full service, but I don't remember exactly when the changeover started taking place. I know that by the time I was in college I was pumping my own gas. Our kids learned as they started driving. I have fond memories of Mr. Cartlidge, who ran the Chevron station in our town. He wore blue coveralls, filled up the car, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, and gave us free gum.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I can't remember the last time I was in a place where full service was even an option. I'm old, and I remember when all stations were full service, but I don't remember exactly when the changeover started taking place. I know that by the time I was in college I was pumping my own gas. Our kids learned as they started driving. I have fond memories of Mr. Cartlidge, who ran the Chevron station in our town. He wore blue coveralls, filled up the car, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, and gave us free gum.

I think it was during Carter with the gas shortages, and gas costs.  

I just looked at https://www.gasbuddy.com/usa and New Jersey was the 18th cheapest in states by gas prices.  States with 'special' gas laws have corresponding higher gas prices, so they're at the bottom of the list.