Menu

Thanks

Drama Llama

I'd be a bit sad that my kid had that experience without me. But I don't find anything to be really upset about. Certainly I couldn't be upset with the person who was watching my kid. I might be a little disappointed, for just a minute, with my kid for not telling the person about previous plans to see the  movie, but that would pass quickly because it would be a bit much to expect.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I might be disappointed in the situation, but not at the adult.

I did ask my sister to check with me first before watching classic movies with my kids, because I had looked forward to watching some with them (first).  But it was on me to let the adults know in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone watches your kid for WEEKS you kiss their feet and look the other way on anything that’s non-toxic. You certainly don’t ask that their family skip seeing a current movie so you can have the experience later. Even missing the movie you are winning the trade-off olympics. 

ETA: This scenario has troublesome SIL vibes

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 26
  • Haha 4

If I leave my child with you for a few hours it's because I trust that I can rely on you in some basic way, and I'm confident that my children will mostly be ok.

If I leave my child with your for a few weeks it's because I trust you with their lives and, in a way, my own. While you're watching my child for a few weeks IDGAF if you allow them to watch a movie that I would also allow them to watch! I'd forgive you allowing them to watch some movies that I wouldn't have allowed.

• Like 18

Weeks? Of free childcare? And the parent is upset about missing the movie? That seemed excessive to me unless there was previous discussion between the adults about that movie.

I will say however that when I was doing in-my-home child care (for pay even thought it was low pay) I did tell the parent if I had planned something different or special for the day so she would know that I was going to take the kid somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BandH said:

Well I think she and I need to agree to disagree about who is the bad SIL in this scenario.

But yes, one SIL took the other SIL’s daughter to Barbie.

And this Barbie is a SIL.

Yes but you & this board don’t disagree about who is the bad SIL. Good SIL can tell her where to… nevermind, I can’t think of an appropriate way to phrase that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, maize said:

Upset/disappointed sure. Not angry though--the person watching the kid did absolutely nothing wrong. I would deal with my personal disappointment privately and find something else to do together with my kid.

Exactly. I would probably be disappointed, but if I had not specifically told the carer, then I would keep it to myself. I wouldn't blame my kid either, because they might not have realized that it was that important to me.

• Like 2