Menu

Cooking Inspiration July

Clarita

Not sure what happened to the cooking challenge.

I have been on a chilli kick. This week Texas style chilli. Not completely sure what makes a chilli Texas style but it has no beans and is thickened by masa (well I subbed masa with polenta).

But don't worry I'm going to California style by letting people top it with guacamole if it's too spicy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been planning our vacation menu. We are going to eat out twice. Once at a well reputed barbecue place, and usually I can find GF options at good bbq places. We are also going out for seafood once, and there is a bakery with GF options and really good coffee, is one breakfast as well. Other than that, we are cooking at the vacationing n house.

Picnic lunch on Saturday - broccoli pasta salad, hummus with veggies, and homemade GF cookies. Dinner - ziti and large salads.

Some of the other meals:

Grilled steaks, mushroom rissoto, roasted broccoli

Black bean enchiladas

Portabella burgers

Sheet pan roasted veggies with chicken breast

Sandwiches and fresh fruit when we go kayaking, we keep that really simple and everything has to fit in waterproof bags.

My nephew is cooking two evening meals, and I am not sure what he is planning.

Right now I am "cooking through the fridge" in order to get it emptied out. We had a small steak in the freezer that I wanted to get used up and a head of broccoli in the crisper, and a cup of rice left in the bag, so I made beef and broccoli tonight - carrots, garlic, a little red pepper flake, just a hint of brown sugar, ginger, GF soy sauce, peanuts, all served over fried rice. 

Last night I used up all the eggs except the two I need for making scones before we leave.

By Thursday night it is going to be slim pickings around here! I warned Mark that he does NOT get to raid the groceries earmarked for the trip.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I recently read a book with Iranian characters and amazing descriptions of food, so I am looking for some good Iranian/Persian inspired dishes to make. Have a cardamom snd pistachio cake recipe that I will try this weekend. 

Claudia Roden's cookbooks are drool worthy and probably available at the library.

I've got a few bitter melon recipes to try this week. I would like to have more than one way I can enjoy eating it.

I wonder if it got too complicated to have the choices and voting and such. Honestly though I forget about threads if they fall off the first page. I did enjoy it though I don't take photos of my food usually. 

Inspired by a chapter in one of my current favorite cookbooks The Modern Proper by Holly Erickson and Natalie Mortimer, we've been having "Meatball Mondays" here. I never liked meatballs much but I'm finding fun new ideas for them.  My current favorite involves pork, lots of ginger, and miso (though through a misunderstanding on my part I have been using doenjang instead of miso) but it is in a cookbook and not online so I can't share it here. But once I started looking, I found a lot of interesting ideas online, from TMP and elsewhere. Here are some:

https://themodernproper.com/best-meatball-recipes

Another book for inspiration: I Am From Here: Stories and Recipes from a Southern Chef by Vishwesh Bhatt. The recipes are sort of Indian/Southern US fusion in some ways. It's a beautiful book and the recipes are so interesting to me. Here is a recipe for Okra Chaat; it is so so good. 

https://www.ediblememphis.com/vishweshbhatt/

Both these books are available in my public library system; if you are interested see if you can check them out! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marbel said:

Another book for inspiration: I Am From Here: Stories and Recipes from a Southern Chef by Vishwesh Bhatt. The recipes are sort of Indian/Southern US fusion in some ways. It's a beautiful book and the recipes are so interesting to me. Here is a recipe for Okra Chaat; it is so so good. 

Now that cookbook is on my wish list! I really enjoy Indian food but it takes planning on my part to make it because I always have to get ingredients (since it's not something I usually make). I need to add these flavors to my routine, and I love Okra.

9 hours ago, marbel said:

though through a misunderstanding on my part I have been using doenjang instead of miso

Both sound yummy to be honest.

• Like 1

I've been learning to make bruschetta and tonight's was my best version yet. Costco baguette cut in slices (actually just half of one since it's just dh and I). Brush olive oil on each side, 400° oven on one side for 5 min then flip to other side for 5 min. Then take a Burrata ball (Trader Joe's) and slice it and divide it up spreading it on each slice of bread. Then I broiled them for about a minute. Then top with chopped tomatoes, basil, and garlic. I don't think this would work so well in January, but in July it is divine.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

I've been learning to make bruschetta and tonight's was my best version yet. Costco baguette cut in slices (actually just half of one since it's just dh and I). Brush olive oil on each side, 400° oven on one side for 5 min then flip to other side for 5 min. Then take a Burrata ball (Trader Joe's) and slice it and divide it up spreading it on each slice of bread. Then I broiled them for about a minute. Then top with chopped tomatoes, basil, and garlic. I don't think this would work so well in January, but in July it is divine.

Sounds yummy!!

• Like 1

Tonight my daughter made pasta carbonara and roasted broccoli.  It was really good.  Tomorrow I will be making baked beans in the slow cooker and some fresh baked bread of some kind.  The next night is chicken cordon bleu with a fruit salad and if I get around to it oreo cheesecake bites for dessert.  It is DH and I's date night.  So we will eat dinner while watching a movie.

• Like 3

I've been eating a lot of central American inspired food this month. Lots of refried bean & salsa dips with various nachos, and fruit blender drinks with pineapple and other "tropical" fruits. I've discovered a little grocery store in town with Mexican and other central American foods, which adds to the fun.

Yesterday I tried making my own version of mole, using a paste from the grocery store. I used pork tenderloin as the meat. It turned out really well. It was like a Mexican mole pulled pork. 

• Like 3

My appetite gets really wonky this time of year with the heat. I don't eat much meat. I've been diligent about making whole wheat sourdough, and that is what I am surviving off of many days. That and pasta. Cheese toast, tomato sandwiches--sometimes with bacon. Bacon is the only meat that really sounds appetizing at the moment, and I'm sure it's the salt. I salt my spaghetti sauce like crazy, too. 

Last night I made a dish that is just egg noodles and cabbage seasoned with onion, bacon, a little garlic, salt and pepper. It's a family fave here.

If my starter cooperates today, I am going to make pizza crust dough. It won't be ready for tonight though, so I need to come up with something else. 

For treats... I got out my little Cuisinart ice cream maker, and I've been experimenting with custard--how many eggs, sous vide vs stovetop, etc. We made banana milkshakes one night. And one night I made cinnamon ice cream. My fam says it takes like a snickerdoodle. 🙂

I'm getting a decent amount of tomatoes in my garden-- some Amish paste, too, so I may make a tomato sauce.  I'm using this recipe as a guide although I have to scale it back. I'm really intrigued at the idea of making my own tomato paste.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 7:56 PM, Clarita said:

Not sure what happened to the cooking challenge.

I have been on a chilli kick. This week Texas style chilli. Not completely sure what makes a chilli Texas style but it has no beans and is thickened by masa (well I subbed masa with polenta).

But don't worry I'm going to California style by letting people top it with guacamole if it's too spicy.

I'm glad you started this. I had been wondering about the other thread, too. 

• Like 1

I'm making something new for us tonight - Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Rice:   https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-lemon-garlic-shrimp-and-rice/

Re: ice cream - I've discovered the joy of no churn ice cream. I don't have and don't particularly want an ice cream maker (space issues preclude one-trick-pony appliances) but have been having fun with sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, and flavorings. I've made regular and bourbon vanilla, chocolate, and our favorite, lemon with lemon curd. Oh, and a vegan version using coconut milk, mango, and tajin seasoning. That last one would work better in a popsicle; the fruit made it very icy. But delicious! 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, marbel said:

I'm making something new for us tonight - Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Rice:   https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-lemon-garlic-shrimp-and-rice/

Re: ice cream - I've discovered the joy of no churn ice cream. I don't have and don't particularly want an ice cream maker (space issues preclude one-trick-pony appliances) but have been having fun with sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, and flavorings. I've made regular and bourbon vanilla, chocolate, and our favorite, lemon with lemon curd. Oh, and a vegan version using coconut milk, mango, and tajin seasoning. That last one would work better in a popsicle; the fruit made it very icy. But delicious! 

Liquor in ice cream is something I'm wanting to experiment with! Do you have any resources or recipes you can recommend?

And lemon curd. Oh. My. I am definitely doing that soon. 

I am fortunate that I have a huge kitchen with a walk in pantry. Still...I need to get rid of some of my gadgets. I am trying to streamline. The ice cream maker is pretty small. The biggest issue with it is storing the bowl in the freezer. Freezer space is precious real estate. 😉

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

Liquor in ice cream is something I'm wanting to experiment with! Do you have any resources or recipes you can recommend?

And lemon curd. Oh. My. I am definitely doing that soon. 

I am fortunate that I have a huge kitchen with a walk in pantry. Still...I need to get rid of some of my gadgets. I am trying to streamline. The ice cream maker is pretty small. The biggest issue with it is storing the bowl in the freezer. Freezer space is precious real estate. 😉

Here are some recipes I've used.

Basic vanilla:  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/3-ingredient-vanilla-ice-cream-no-churn/

Lemon curd:  https://www.simplysogood.com/no-churn-lemon-curd-ice-cream/

Bourbon vanilla:  https://rusticfamilyrecipes.com/no-churn-bourbon-vanilla-ice-cream/

Chocolate:  https://www.foodandwine.com/no-churn-chocolate-ice-cream-7376983

These are all super simple - well, making lemon curd is an extra thing, but that could be bought if needed - I've come across others that are a bit more elaborate but so far we've been happy with the simplest ones. 

Now if I could only find chocolate graham crackers in the store - they make the best ice cream sandwiches! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, popmom said:

Still...I need to get rid of some of my gadgets. I am trying to streamline. The ice cream maker is pretty small. The biggest issue with it is storing the bowl in the freezer. Freezer space is precious real estate. 😉

We went with a bigger ice cream machine with a condenser because we got tired of remembering to freeze the bowl and have it take up freezer space. It lives in the garage instead of the kitchen. 

• Like 1

I had a Nighthawk frozen dinner (chopped steak and broccoli), it was actually really good. I'll probably add in some honeydew the next time I get up. Dh eats at work, so no normal cooking. Tomorrow, I may saute some chicken and veg and use one of the simmering sauces I bought and have it over rice. I have some squash and cucumbers in the fridge from my dad's garden, so I want to incorporate them. 

I've been craving rice pudding, so I may make some tomorrow since I'll have the rice pot out anyway. 

• Like 1

So far this week we've had chicken noodle soup, McRib's (we got 50 pounds of McRib meat in a food share I bought in January so we are slowly working through it), homemade pizza (chicken bacon ranch), blt's, bacon and kale skillet and stuffed peppers.  

• Like 4

Dinner last night here was a collaborative effort between dh and I. He came up with the menu, and we split the tasks:

I made the marinade (ACV, olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, Greek seasoning) for the kabobs and a cucumber mint tzadziki.

He made the salad, lemon basil rice and grilled the kabobs.

Na’an was from Trader Joe’s.

It ended up being a very filling meal with about a pound of beef being split between us all.

F0022FAD-F405-4F89-A5B0-A9A7C06642A5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@HomeAgainI would love your lemon basil rice recipe!

Sure! It's almost cooked like a Rice a Roni:

Heat a bit of oil or butter in a large shallow pan.  Add one cup of rice and stir for 2-4 minutes until the butter coats and is somewhat absorbed into the rice.  Add 2 cups of vegetable stock and let cook as normal, reducing heat and putting the lid on after it boils. 

To make the flavoring: 2Tbs of chopped basil, 2 cloves of garlic, olive oil shredded parm (to thickness and taste(, juice from 1 lemon, and 2T pine nuts.  Grind the pine nuts.  Add the chopped basil, minced garlic, and parm, It should be rather thick.  Begin adding the olive oil and lemon juice in equal parts until it loosens up.  Taste, add more lemon if necessary.

When rice is done, add as much of the flavoring as you like, folding it in.  Because lemon and basil are more delicate flavors we don't add them at the beginning of the rice.  However, it can be made ahead of time to sit in the fridge and get a bit stronger. 

It's rather like making a pesto.  And if it's too much work, you can probably just grab a jar of pesto, scoop out two Tbs, and add some lemon, extra oil, and parm to it to adjust the flavor and density.  This was the first time we tried it with the rice, but I think 3/5 of us would prefer it with orzo if we do it again.  The other two are hard to please and I'm not sure we should take their thoughts into consideration, lol, because they don't like orzo, small couscous, barley, or bulgur wheat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Dinner last night here was a collaborative effort between dh and I. He came up with the menu, and we split the tasks:

I made the marinade (ACV, olive oil, salt, pepper, honey, Greek seasoning) for the kabobs and a cucumber mint tzadziki.

He made the salad, lemon basil rice and grilled the kabobs.

Na’an was from Trader Joe’s.

It ended up being a very filling meal with about a pound of beef being split between us all.

F0022FAD-F405-4F89-A5B0-A9A7C06642A5.jpeg

How did you dress the salad? I have zucchini, cucumbers and red onion and orange tomatoes, pretty much everything on the plate but the bread it looks so good I want to try it!

Edited by saraha

12 minutes ago, saraha said:

How did you dress the salad? I have zucchini, cucumbers and red onion and orange tomatoes, pretty much everything on the plate but the bread it looks so good I want to try it!

I'm pretty low key when it comes to chopped salads.  This one had a bit of olive oil, salt/pepper, and a drizzle of white balsamic to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes and balance the lemon-y rice.  I think on the plate was tomato, cucumber, red onion, and feta. 

And I LOVE Trader Joe's na'an!  I keep a pack or two in the freezer all the time.  We eat so many curries and similar meals that it's one less thing to have to think about when I'm planning/prepping.  It goes in the oven frozen and is ready in 2 minutes.

• Like 3

I wish I could just visit all your houses for meals-everything sounds so delicious.

Yesterday, I cooked butter chicken using a simmer sauce and fried squash.

Today, I fixed sausage crumbles, scrambled eggs and cheese which we had with salsa and dh had a bagel with his. I'm make a salisbury steak casserole for dinner with a cucumber avocado salad and some roasted squash.

• Like 3

I made this last week and it was so yummy. And it stayed good all week in the fridge! (I did use black beans instead of chick peas, but I’m sure either are delicious.) I used fresh corn and just cut it straight from the cob for the salad. So good!

• Like 1