34 members have voted

1. 1. Which sounds best

• Vegan Full Irish Breakfast
    • Fish and Vegan Fish (Hearts of Palm) and Chips
    • Fish chowder, vegan Irish stew, and colcannon
    • Corned jackfruit and cabbage
    • Guiness, nothing else matters, just make sure there's enough Guiness
    • Something else I will tell you
    • Lentil shepherd's pie (Excellent suggestion!)

Just don't do what I did, when DS 29 brought his girlfriend for a few days. she was vegan the last time she came.  I had prepared some vegan food ( I found it extremely challenging) and when she arrived and announced she was no longer vegan I jumped up and down and gave her a hug and said that is so fantastic. Afterwards I thought how absolutely rude I was, I don't know what came over me. 😞 😞 

I guess that puts me  in the strange and evil mother in-law category 

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, BandH said:

Sides:  Vegan mushy peas, frozen peas, vegan cabbage with vegan shititake bacon,  steamed carrots, raw carrots, soda bread

How would you differentiate between the vegan peas and the "frozen" peas? Presumably you'll cook the frozen peas, so who would know they had been frozen, anyway?? I guess I'm confused, lol.

4 minutes ago, BandH said:

I refuse to serve the vegan peas that are currently frozen.  The rest of the family wouldn't blink, but he is still a guest. So, choices it is!

Vegan custard

Ooo nice. Thanks for the link. I have a dairy-free friend and always like new options. Warm custard on apple cake is really good. 

1 minute ago, freesia said:

I don’t have a specific Irish one, no. I don’t actually remember eating much apple flavored things except hard cider. 

Not to discourage you from apple cake, though. Fruit desserts and spice cake were very common. so the taste would fit for sure. 

I voted lentil shepherd’s pie, but I meant a veggie shepherd’s pie because that sounds delicious. I don’t care if it has lentils as long as the root veggies are plentiful. A hearty veggie stew is nice too; maybe in bread bowls. I’ll bet cabbage rolls are easy to veganize. 

ETA: Potato soup is easy to customize with toppings for vegans and non vegans dining together.  Also, my family prefers champ to colcannon.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BandH said:

So, do people think heart of palm or celeriac would be tastier for vegan "fish"?  

I do love me some fried celeriac.  Sometimes I shred it and fry it into nest shapes then line it with spinach and drop a couple of poached eggs into it - but maybe Easter instead of St. Pat's.

8 hours ago, BandH said:

OK, how does this sound for a menu?

Beverage:  Apple cider (hard and soft), Guiness

Entree:  Lentil shepherd's pie, fish and chips 

Sides:  Vegan mushy peas, frozen peas, vegan cabbage with vegan shititake bacon,  steamed carrots, raw carrots, soda bread 

Dessert:  Apple cake, Irish coffee

This sounds like a winner to me. And really you just can't go wrong if you fill the adults up on guiness when they arrive, and Irish coffee before they leave! 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BandH said:

Do you have a vegan Irish apple cake recipe perchance?  

I don't cook vegan, but I do cook without milk and eggs, and I took a look at the Irish apple cake recipes on the internet.  You would be fine with just using vegan margarine (country crock plant butter or earth balance), oat milk instead of regular milk, and Bob's Red Mill or Enter-G Egg Replacer.  I wouldn't use a recipe that calls for heavy cream, as I haven't found a fabulous substitute for that although coconut cream might work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BandH said:

I bet that even if you didn't see my name you'd know who posted this. 

You’re right about this. I read the thread title first, figured it was you, and sure enough. I don’t have enough experience with creative vegan cooking to have an opinIon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, perky said:

I don't cook vegan, but I do cook without milk and eggs, and I took a look at the Irish apple cake recipes on the internet.  You would be fine with just using vegan margarine (country crock plant butter or earth balance), oat milk instead of regular milk, and Bob's Red Mill or Enter-G Egg Replacer.  I wouldn't use a recipe that calls for heavy cream, as I haven't found a fabulous substitute for that although coconut cream might work.

I haven't baked with oat milk very much, though I do like it in my coffee or on cereal sometimes. I have found the fluffiest results baking with soy milk or coconut milk. And my latest discovery when a recipe calls for cream is to go with dairy-free yogurt. My least favorite fake milk for baking is rice milk.

Another favorite are the nut milks, but BandH cannot do nuts either.

• Like 1