34 members have voted

1. 1. Which sounds best

• Vegan Full Irish Breakfast
    • Fish and Vegan Fish (Hearts of Palm) and Chips
    • Fish chowder, vegan Irish stew, and colcannon
    • Corned jackfruit and cabbage
    • Guiness, nothing else matters, just make sure there's enough Guiness
    • Something else I will tell you
    • Lentil shepherd's pie (Excellent suggestion!)

11 hours ago, BandH said:

No, the picky kids in the family prefer peas that are currently frozen.  We call them peasicles.  The mushy peas will be easy to distinguish because they will only be previously frozen, and no frost will be visible.  Also they will be mushy.  

I'm intrigued. Where do you buy frozen marrowfat peas? 

We buy cans of mushy peas (Batchelors, natch) from Cost Plus or an Irish store in Portsmouth, and bring packets of dried marrowfat peas home when we visit DS. Are the frozen ones already mushy? I'm curious about the texture and would love to try them.

25 minutes ago, BandH said:

We will divide this up, and I am probably not making the mushy peas, but I think there are 3 equally likely possibilities.

1) We will use some recipe like this that won't bear any resemblance to actual mushy peas, but since the majority of us haven't been to Ireland we won't know, and it will look good in the pictures.   (This is 100% the approach I would take, partially because I am lazy, partially because I am cheap, and partially because I am a big believe in chaining familiar to less familiar foods and I think that if my nieces help me make the mushy peas out of their beloved frozen peas they might be more willing to try it) 

2) My oldest SIL who is hosting, will pay lots of money to obtain marrowfat peas, which I guess won't be frozen.

3) My oldest SIL, who is planned and organized and totally unlike me, looked at a calendar and figured out that this weekend is the overlap between her daughter's spring break, and the vegan's (who is her daughter's partner) spring break, months ago, and that we'd want to do something fun, and procurred dried marrowfat peas from Amazon, which also won't be frozen. 

I was imagining option 1 when I wrote it, since that's what I'd do.  

Gotcha. I guess I misread your post and got prematurely excited for frozen mushy peas (though admittedly they are ridiculously easy to make from dried, and delish straight out of the can) lol. 

Ohhh, if you’re doing a whole fried thing, can the vegan have some sort of veggie tempura??? It doesn’t scream St Patrick’s day, but if everyone is eating baskets of fried goodies, breaded and fried veggies are so satisfying. I love mushrooms, broccoli, and green beans fried this way especially. If you find a good egg substitute for the batter (I assume this exists) then you can use the same batter recipe all around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BandH said:

Marrowfat does not sound vegan.  

They are. It's just a type of pea. 🙂 

Marrowfat peas are typically used for mushy peas because of their texture, and apparently eaten dried as a snack in Japan. I'd love to try those (they must be different than the dried ones I buy in packets in Ireland; I'm imagining them more like the salted edamame you sometimes get at a bar?)