Menu

11th grade panic--I mean planning-- thread 2023-2024

I might as well start this since I have a *severe* case of the Januaries.

All of this is seriously work in progress. 

I want so, so badly to plan things out, but we just don't have enough information yet.

DS is gifted, ADD, anxiety, processing issues

Math: finish Dolciani Alg II with Trig (I expect us to go into the fall or winter with this) and start Brown Pre-Calculus. Or, punt to Derek Owens if I am overwhelmed teaching this kid. TBD.

Lit:  Early Modern Lit with House of Humane Letters

CompProbably Honors 4/5 English Comp at TPS, or comp at the community college/university. ETA: Most likely Lantern English.

History: Continue 3 year plan to finish Western Civ and US history in world context, OR . . .  trash all my plans and figure out how to finish US history this year and do government and econ his junior year.  I have control issues people.

Science: Forensic Science Oak Meadow as spine.  Using Illustrated Guide to home forensic science experiments with lab kit(s) from The Home Scientist and videos from Great courses to stretch it to a full credit.  ETA Books are purchased. I just need to buy the kit. 

Art: once a week with my dad, drawing mostly

Bible: continue plan

Electives: ETA  taking an art class that is part of a graphic design program at a local community college. Praying that it goes well. 

ETA: I found a graphic design specialization bundle of courses on Coursera that I might have him try over the summer.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

• cintinative changed the title to 2023-2024 11th grade panic--I mean planning-- thread

I honestly have no idea about next year yet.  We are hoping he will do DE at the local CC, but I’m not sure if it will just be electives or other subjects.

I want him to continue taking English with the online school he’s been taking classes with, but other students told him that 11th grade English is really hard, so he doesn’t want to.  I outsourced high school English for him and older dd because they fight me anytime I critique their writing and honestly, I struggle with grading it.  

For math he did TT for Pre-Algebra and algebra 1, then we switched to MUS for geometry at a friend’s recommendation.  Not loving it.  I don’t want to teach him math, but I’m starting to think I may have to choose something and do it side by side with him.  My degree is math Ed, but I haven’t taught in so long, that I have forgotten a lot.

Everything else is a big ?

• Like 2

I just started panicing planning also! (creative and apt title you have there!!!)

So far I've got:

Math: Pre-Calculus-Mr D
Science: Guest Hollow Physics
History: British History-mom designed since I can't find anything I like already put together
ELA: Literature-Probably British Lit & Poetry and 7sisters writing units(essays, research papers, etc)
French: The ULAT picking up where he leaves off
Psychology 1/2 credit: 7sisters
Career Exploration 1/2 credit: 7sisters
PE: tracking hours of physical activity 1/2 credit

• Like 2

• cintinative changed the title to 11th grade panic--I mean planning-- thread 2023-2024

I'm just starting to think about next year. In my mind I'd love next year to be student-led, unschooly, out of the box, hands-on courses, but it's not realistic for us, so here's what I'm planning.  I also wanted dd to do dual enrollment, but she isn't interested and the nearby university requires an ACT test which she also hasn't done.

Math: Mr. D Calculus

Science: Apologia Physics

Government and Economics:  Notgrass

English: ?? We're going to use The Power in Your Hands and all the related reading from Notgrass Government and Economics and I might add a few other books.

Foreign Language: She's been doing French and dislikes it. I might let her do ASL instead of another year of French. We're going to try LifePrint for ASL.

Other: I'm going to try some more exploratory things this year like outdoor skills, life skills, art projects, study skills plus some kind of engineering and/or coding type of project.

Extracurricular: Lots of dance (including competitions), youth group, Frontier Girls badges, cross country with the public school. Some interesting art and history classes with our enrichment only co-op.

Other than that I don't know. DS had so many cool experiences in our high school (glass blowing, welding, historical reenacting, working on enrichment for zoo animals, outdoor opportunities, modeling) and DD either isn't interested or the opportunities aren't available to her.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2

We are planning on starting some DE next year. Probably 2 classes each semester.

Math: AP Calculus - probably Thinkwell - still not sure about AB or BC

Science: probably DE Physics

History: probably DE American history

English: maybe an Edx writing course, SAT grammar and reading prep, Vocabulary Detective, reading literature of choice

Latin: finish Wheelock's and reading Harry Potter in Latin

Computer Science: at least 1, but probably 2 DE classes

Extracurricular: Cross Country and Track, Math club, Chess club, bookkeeping for my mom's piano studio

• Like 2

I have one big ? about next year . . . To continue more of what we are doing (which seems the definition of insanity) ... to just throw it up in the air and be unschooly .(not sure I have it in me) or full time online high school... nothing is ruled out at this point . . . <sigh>

UPDATE:

I think we have a plan...

English: IEW Advanced US History Lessons and Lit selections/progeny press guides (Co-op) 1 credit 

History: Government (Notgrass) [co-op] and Economics (Economics for Everybody) 1 credit 

Science: Chemistry (undecided but maybe ChemExplained, MB, or Berean Builders) 1 credit 

Math: Mr D Math Precalculus (if this doesn't work we will do some review with a tutor and College Algebra) 1 credit 

Bible: Understanding the Times (co-op) 1 credit 

Everyday Debate (Spring) .5 credit

Advanced Study Skills: Brain Training (Fall) and ACT/SAT prep (Spring) 1 credit 

It's only 6.5 credits but he plays tennis 6 days a week and coaches so I think it will  be full enough . . .we will hold everything loosely and if anything isn't working, we will adjust . . .

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, cintinative said:

@mom2scouts Maybe I'm wrong, but you sound a bit discouraged to me, and I just wanted to say I also feel that tension between being the mom and also being the teacher/guidance counselor.  It is a tough spot. Hang in there.

Yes, I've been discouraged this year. Youngest DS was fun to homeschool because he had some serious passions and went above and beyond learning about them and was willing to try new things. DD is the last child at home and I know she misses her brothers, especially the one closest in age who's always been here homeschooling with her. We joined an enrichment only co-op for the first time just so she could get out and learn things with others. She seems to enjoy it, but that doesn't help with academic subjects. She just doesn't seem to be interested in any subject. She does the work I assign, but doesn't show any excitement about any of it. She doesn't have a clue what she might want to study in college. She's resisted taking the ACT, trying dual enrollment, or taking outside classes. She often does better when she's pushed into trying things, so maybe I need to do that more. She's always loved dance, but Covid caused some changes at her studio that she doesn't like, so she even complains about dance. 

I finally sat her down and asked if there's anything at all that she's excited about. She said, "I really like doing math." She's been doing Mr D math and has a good understanding of it and usually works ahead. OK, that's a start. We might explore some engineering type things a bit more and see if she can get excited about that. Sometimes one of the nearby universities has some engineering days for high school students and I'll try to see if that happens this year. Maybe computer science. Maybe I should find something for career exploration. I'm trying to think of ways we can stay on a college prep track while still doing lots of exploration next year.

• Like 5

@mom2scouts I just prayed for you. 

I have a lot of the same questions about my youngest.  Right now he is working on a profile with Youscience (it's an inventory of aptitudes and career interests)  and I am curious to see where it comes out.  My oldest's was interesting, but not terribly helpful. (ETA: Actually, the personality side/what his strengths and weaknesses are in work was interesting. It was just the career matches that were weird.)   So I am tentative about recommending it. I will report back if it is helpful. Right now it is pricey too--We only paid about $20 for each kid.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

Not really sure what we’re doing as I’m still waiting on some info. Definitely DE and possibly one class at the local public school

math: home statistics then DE statistics for fall for college credit. 

English- DE Eng 1 and 2

social studies: AP micro and macro at home. She took micro but did not get high enough grade. 

science: environmental science

lang: continue self learning French 

Her electives take more time and will possibly be DE courses but we are not sure yet as she has age restrictions and we are trying to get them to lift it. 

* likely DE chemistry for the college credit instead of Environmental science

english will be AP Lang. 
math is also precalc at home. 

Edited by Lilaclady
  • Like 1

My rising 11th-grader is not interested in college. He's a smart, cheerful, hands-on guy, probably headed into the trades or entrepreneurship. We considered sending him to the local community/tech college, which has programs that overlap academics and trade certifications. But he wants to retain his schedule flexibility, so we are going to give it another year here at home. If he changes his mind, he can still enter the tech program in 12th. (aaand now we want to be a pilot like older brother... :D)

Math: Business math, looking for recs here    Going with Mr. D!

English: Center for Lit with writing or I may see if he can stay with Jess Woods at Excelsior Classes. He really likes her. Eng III with Jess Woods.

Social Studies: Considering stuff from Hillsdale, Tom Woods, etc. Excelsior has a WW2 class he might be interested in.  Civics with True North Academy. Uncle Eric books for 2nd semester.

Science: Earth/Meteorology/Environmental. I still have resources from the last student.  Aviation Science with Excelsior. May add in the Great Courses weather course we already own.

We will want him to do Personal Finance (We already own Ramsey's) at some point. (Decided to do this in 12th.) Other than that, I'll probably have him select any other electives.  We're hoping to join a local speech class if the schedule works out. Also, music/choir/bells.

That's all kinda vague, isn't it?   Decisions finalized 4-2-23!  Aah, it feels good, like getting your closet purged and organized.

Edited by birchbark
  • Like 5

Y'all my ds15 does not want to engage on any of the college stuff, at all. I told him we still needed to sort out what electives to take next year.  He's so very uninterested in talking school or his future. This kid will be graduated in 2.5 years.  I really hope he grows into an interest, or I will be champion of the senior year panic threads I think.  LOL

Also my plan for TPS is not going to work, so now I am looking at Lantern/WAH. 

• Sad 2

On 2/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, cintinative said:

Y'all my ds15 does not want to engage on any of the college stuff, at all. I told him we still needed to sort out what electives to take next year.  He's so very uninterested in talking school or his future. This kid will be graduated in 2.5 years.  I really hope he grows into an interest, or I will be champion of the senior year panic threads I think.  LOL

Also my plan for TPS is not going to work, so now I am looking at Lantern/WAH. 

Oh, I'm afraid I'm going to be joining you in the senior year panic threads. DD says she wants to go to college, even names a top college she's interested in attending, but still doesn't have a direction or interest and puts so little effort into her schoolwork. I'm posting here to avoid screaming while she's doing chemistry and trying to get me to do most of the work by asking questions she should know or be able to look up. I'm honestly starting to think about being more unschooly or hands on next year in all but a few classes just to get back some excitement about learning (for both of us!). 

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 2

We plan to world school next year so I'm still struggling to figure everything out. Some of it will depend on our budget and where we end up going. DS is certain he wants to major in linguistics so we have that to focus around.

English: Creative writing maybe? DH has an MFA so he would teach.

Math: Self-paced linear algebra or multivariable calculus or AOPS intermediate number theory or WOOT. No idea yet. It depends on if he wants to keep going with math contests. He did very well on the AIME this year.

Science: Clover Valley Chemistry Honors Biochem

Languages: Immersion Spanish somewhere. We did 3 weeks in Guatemala with one-on-one tutors and he loved how fast he was able to progress even with no prior exposure. Maybe Lukeion Greek 5 if he wants to continue that, but honestly I think it will be too much.

US History: No idea yet, but we would like to focus on the 20th century.

Art History: The Great Course on Understanding Great Art. We would love to fold in museum visits during our travels and we also live in a small town that has a very impressive collection. Some kind of project based around our local museum would be ideal.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 12:44 PM, RoundAbout said:

Languages: Immersion Spanish somewhere. We did 3 weeks in Guatemala with one-on-one tutors and he loved how fast he was able to progress even with no prior exposure. Maybe Lukeion Greek 5 if he wants to continue that, but honestly I think it will be too much.

Have you tried italki?  I love the tutors we have found there.  

DD still not giving me much to work with regarding particular majors or particular schools she wants to pursue, but she really took to Python coding with gusto this year so I'm going to smooth a CS-path to keep feeding that interest. We've been real fortunate that she's willing to attack even the high-rigor stuff without undue issues. So planning on starting in July (-ish):

- Spanish 3 (prepping for CLEP) -> CLEP complete! Now switching to AP Spanish 

- AP Comp Sci A through Code.org, -> DE Computer science courses (python or web design, then C#/C++). Switching from Java-based AP CSA to two DE courses will be 6 credits toward college residency requirement (15cred) and give DD more flexibility to pick CS topics of her choice.

- Math: AP Calc BC (Larson Calc Early Transcendentals)

- ELA/History/Gov: "AP American Studies". This is my plan to interlace AP English Lang & Comp together with AP US History, while weaving in AP Government & Politics after unit 3 or so. I'm hoping I can find some synergy there with our readings, essay work, and common content. -> Decided to do the AP courses but take the CLEPs throughout the year instead of the AP Exams. Same number of equiv credits in Florida publics with much lower exam loads. I'm liking Aufses & Scanlon's Conversations in American Literature as my ELA text as it incorporates major US historical periods and voices and will scaffold the other courses. I'm planning on developing this into a CLEP schedule to allow for exams on College Comp and US History 1 at end of first semester, followed by US Gov&Politics mid second semester, and finally ending with US History 2 and American Lit CLEP exams about a month before AP season starts. In FL publics those exams should be worth about 18 college credits total, which seems crazy to pass up. 

- Sci: AP Physics C Mech and E&M (Young & Freeman Univ Physics)

- Various Blender and Procreate 2D/3D art options via Udemy and YouTube. -> DE Astronomy & DE Philosophy 

Spouse and I sat down with DD and ran through her schedule and were a bit shocked to see with only a few tweaks and blending in a couple online DE classes each semester she'd hit 60 credits and her AA degree by end of junior year even before the Calc and physics AP scores come back next July. Florida publics have articulation agreements for preferential or auto admission for AA holders... this looks like a cheat code for her situation, especially with Bright Futures paying her tuition...

Edited by turkeypotpie
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what next year is going to look like. It will depend on several factors. Ds16 is not my most academic child, nor does he see the point in learning most things. I want next year to be solid academically while meeting him where he is but also fun for him. Some of the things I am thinking about:

Math: last two thirds of Foerster's PreCalc book, plus test prep
Science: Berean Builders Physics
Literature: OWC Early Moderns, all of the videos and about 1/2 - 3/4 of the reading
Logic: Traditional Logic II
History: American History up to the late 1800's
Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study New Testament

Other possibilties:
Government
Spanish III
Film 

• Like 2

What does he find interesting?

I did some pretty out of the box stuff for English/humanities/social science with my younger son in his junior and senior years.  For example, we did a whole course that centered on the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and its sequel Lila.  I don't have access to my records at the moment, but there were other readings as well.  it was listed under "Humanities and Social Science" on his transcript.  We did a cultural geography course that used the Great Courses lectures as a spine and had a wide variety of readings.  Two that I remember were The Ghost Map (about cholera in the 1800s in London) and Through the Language Glass (about the controversial idea that the language you speak affects, quite literally, the way you see the world).

My point here isn't to suggest specific resources or subjects, but to suggest thinking about finding a radically different pathway that may be more interesting to your son than the standard sequence of topics.

• Like 1

He would probably say he didn't want to study anything. I tried to describe him recently to someone else and failed horribly. I could make so many contradictory statements about him and be entirely truthful. For example, I could say he is lazy. He doesn't like getting up in the morning and tries to put as little effort into his schoolwork as I'll let him get away with. But, also, he will do any task I ask him to, has a reputation at work of being a good worker, and works really hard in training. Oh, he also volunteers at AWANA and does really well with that. Everyone he works with loves him.

He enjoys the Old Western Culture videos a lot. He likes the Traditional Logic enough to do TL II. He enjoys reading, but the OWC reading has been a bit of a slog. He really enjoyed The Brendan Voyage, which I got him to read while reading about St. Brendan this year. His history will likely be good (by good I mean anything from interesting, to informative, to fun) books specifically chosen for him by me.

Outside of school he is a martial artist. He is very good has thought about running a dojo someday. He teaches private lessons as a side job a couple hours a week and helps coach the team sparring events. He enjoys that. He also likes other sports, but he doesn't have time to play on official teams. He just plays with friends. He likes video games but doesn't spend a lot of time playing. I don't think he'd like me making school out of those interests. Other than that, not much. He has never had deep interests in things like the other kids. Growing up, he always echoed his older brother's requests for Christmas gifts and then never played with most of the stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:12 AM, EKS said:

I did some pretty out of the box stuff for English/humanities/social science with my younger son in his junior and senior years.  For example, we did a whole course that centered on the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and its sequel Lila.  I don't have access to my records at the moment, but there were other readings as well.  it was listed under "Humanities and Social Science" on his transcript.  We did a cultural geography course that used the Great Courses lectures as a spine and had a wide variety of readings.  Two that I remember were The Ghost Map (about cholera in the 1800s in London) and Through the Language Glass (about the controversial idea that the language you speak affects, quite literally, the way you see the world).

I am doing some unusual stuff with my older, and am curious how this worked out in both the short and long terms.  Did it feel successful at the time?  Are you, now, glad you took that route? 

Panicking, indeed.  Oh my!

My 11th grader will be 18.  A result of a serious illness at the beginning of high school, covid stuff, and his extreme happiness with our current plan.  So far this is what we're looking at:

Rhetoric: New Oxford Guide to Writing
                  ?? Public speaking/presentation skills with his dad ??

Grammar & Writing: Finish out grammar work, Wordly Wise
                 Tutoring with me to work on writing across the curriculum

History / Reading / Literature: CLRC Great Books III with dual enrollment
                 Homegrown history reading (Davies' Europe + Concise History of Asia + DK's History: The Definitive Visual Guide)

Math: Continue in AoPS
           ?? AP Calc test if he's ready ??

Science:  homegrown physics: Oxford's A-Level Physics book, Great Courses engineering for labs, great books + contemporary books

Foreign Language: Russian 3 with CLRC (or maybe TPS if CLRC doesn't offer it)

Fine Arts: tbd

Technology: robotics + coding with his dad
                 DE engineering in the evening, good Lord willing & the creek don't rise

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

I spent most of today panicking, trying to figure out 11th and 12th grade for my two.

Still very fuzzy on the 11th grader's details. She is my least academic child and probably has a couple of learning disabilities (although due to cost we haven't confirmed), and she has no real ambitions for post high school. She also struggles with daily migraines. I don't believe she will be ready for any dual enrollment this year. We are aiming for community college possibly after high school, maybe an AAS? 

Math: Still slowly slogging through Geometry, probably moving into Algebra 2 sometime during the next school year

English: hates writing, but she's not horrible at it, I'm thinking Write@Home 1 as she needs to write for someone besides me. Build Your Library 12 for literature and her own list of 200+ books for pleasure

Social Science: Build Your Library 12 (US History, Government, & Economics) - I am leaning toward stretching Gov't out to the full year and moving Econ to 12th grade. 

Science: I have absolutely no idea; she has done Friendly Biology and a home written Chemistry using the local comm college's text. Neither interested her at all nor has she retained much from either class.

Foreign Language: CLRC's Spanish 2 (she actually likes and is doing really well in CLRC's Spanish 1 this year, so yay!)

Elective: Build Your Library 12 Photography

She enjoyed Intro to Psychology this year, maybe doing something further in that? She'd like to start a sport again (dropped due to the migraines, but they're not going away, so she's learning to live with them) and volunteering at the animal shelter.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 3:44 PM, Malam said:

What are you using for physics C?

My spouse is handling that one, but she plans on working through a standard Physics for Engineers university text and seeing how that goes. 

Edit: Young and Freeman University Physics

Edited by turkeypotpie

On 1/25/2023 at 10:43 PM, ByGrace3 said:

I have one big ? about next year . . . To continue more of what we are doing (which seems the definition of insanity) ... to just throw it up in the air and be unschooly .(not sure I have it in me) or full time online high school... nothing is ruled out at this point . . . <sigh>

UPDATE:

I think we have a plan...

English: IEW Advanced US History Lessons and Lit selections/progeny press guides (Co-op) 1 credit 

History: Government (Notgrass) [co-op] and Economics (Economics for Everybody) 1 credit 

Science: Chemistry (undecided but maybe ChemExplained, MB, or Berean Builders) 1 credit 

Math: Mr D Math Precalculus (if this doesn't work we will do some review with a tutor and College Algebra) 1 credit 

Bible: Understanding the Times (co-op) 1 credit 

Everyday Debate (Spring) .5 credit

Advanced Study Skills: Brain Training (Fall) and ACT/SAT prep (Spring) 1 credit 

It's only 6.5 credits but he plays tennis 6 days a week and coaches so I think it will  be full enough . . .we will hold everything loosely and if anything isn't working, we will adjust . . .

I updated my original post . . . I think we have a plan...I will hold it loosely even when we start . . . 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m planning 11th for DD3. She has no real goals for after high school which makes things difficult. She does whatever I assign and generally does pretty well at everything, just doesn’t have any idea what she wants to do when she graduates. I’m trying not to worry about it. She’ll graduate a few months before turning 18, so she’s still young. My plan for her is to just cover the basics while she figures things out. 

Math - MUS Pre-calculus 

History - Notgrass US History

Science - Apologia Chemistry

English - Writing With Skill. She’s doing IEW this year and it’s not the best fit. Before that she did LLATL. We’ll start with WWS Level 1 and move through it quickly. She won’t need a lot of it but there’s parts I want to cover. I’m hoping to get about halfway through Level 2 by the end of the year. We’ll be doing some of the literature included with Notgrass and I’ll fill that in to make it more complete. She’s also been slowly working through Analytical Grammer. We don’t spend much time here, just use it as a review. DD has some undiagnosed language based learning disabilities and wasn’t able to read or write til around 11 years old so she’s a bit “behind” in English. She improved tremendously over the past couple of years though and I think I’ve finally found some affordable options for addressing things. 

ASL - mix of things we find online. We had a wonderful in person class taught by a friend’s grandmother, but the other girls were all older and moved on to other things when they finished school so the class ended. 

Other electives - not sure yet. DD likes artistic things. She draws and is taking a painting class in co-op. She’s also started sewing. I’ll probably try to find something along those lines for her. 

Extra Curriculars - Piano, co-op (she always chooses enrichment classes like art or music), speech club (she’s not happy about this but DH is insisting), karate (hopefully getting black belt by the end of this year or early next). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 7:09 PM, historically accurate said:

I spent most of today panicking, trying to figure out 11th and 12th grade for my two.

Still very fuzzy on the 11th grader's details. She is my least academic child and probably has a couple of learning disabilities (although due to cost we haven't confirmed), and she has no real ambitions for post high school. She also struggles with daily migraines. I don't believe she will be ready for any dual enrollment this year. We are aiming for community college possibly after high school, maybe an AAS? 

Math: Still slowly slogging through Geometry, probably moving into Algebra 2 sometime during the next school year

English: hates writing, but she's not horrible at it, I'm thinking Write@Home 1 as she needs to write for someone besides me. Build Your Library 12 for literature and her own list of 200+ books for pleasure

Social Science: Build Your Library 12 (US History, Government, & Economics) - I am leaning toward stretching Gov't out to the full year and moving Econ to 12th grade. 

Science: I have absolutely no idea; she has done Friendly Biology and a home written Chemistry using the local comm college's text. Neither interested her at all nor has she retained much from either class.

Foreign Language: CLRC's Spanish 2 (she actually likes and is doing really well in CLRC's Spanish 1 this year, so yay!)

Elective: Build Your Library 12 Photography

She enjoyed Intro to Psychology this year, maybe doing something further in that? She'd like to start a sport again (dropped due to the migraines, but they're not going away, so she's learning to live with them) and volunteering at the animal shelter.

Quoting myself:

We have picked a science - thank goodness! Mr. Q's Advanced Earth Science. It was hard to find a science that is secular and is not online (online makes her migraines worse, and she's doing some online already). But we found one that she says, "Fine, I'll do it." even if there is no enthusiasm at all.

11th grade panic here, too! I’m just now ready to think about what the next school year could look like. This year was a wild ride, the kids started at a hybrid school, but they were constantly sick, dd1 diagnosed with ADD, pulled all of them out of hybrid in Dec, scrambled to put together a spring semester, my dd2 now has a long term illness, we have doctor visits multiple times a week. 

So… I know some of dd1 will be doing…. Gov’t & Econ. -WTMAcademy, & Algebra 2 -Math U See, & ASL -online

But I still need to figure out English and Science. 😔 She really wants to do some Brave Writer classes. And dd2 is going to do a middle school physics course via Science Mom, which would be fun to study altogether, but I don’t know how to level up physics. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ds is #6, and I’m outsourcing more than any of the older kids. He needs outside accountability!

Precalculus - Derek Owens

Physics - Derek Owens

English- Wordsmith Craftsman, Easy Grammar 11, AP English Composition exam

2 humanities courses through Cedarville University online dual enrollment (one each semester)

cello, orchestra, choirs, chimes

FTC robotics 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skctgbrlis said:

Ds is #6, and I’m outsourcing more than any of the older kids. He needs outside accountability!

Precalculus - Derek Owens

Physics - Derek Owens

Just some unsolicited BTDT advice on this--since these are both self paced, keep an eye on his progress.  My youngest guy fell way way behind. He doesn't do as well with asynchronous courses.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our start date is just a smidge over 6 weeks away and yet here I am still planning 😬 What it's looking like so far, though: 

Math: still a bit up in the air. We're not forcing much for advanced math as we have 0 requirements here as homeschoolers, and the programs he's applying to also do not require math for entrance, nor have any math classes in their programs. So, currently planning to have him read through the Everything You Need to Know to Ace Geometry book. Not sure beyond that. 

English: Writing for Animation, NYT Writing Contests, NYT Vocabulary, maybe Spelling Wisdom. Unsure. 

Literature: assorted stuff. I make him read from a variety of genres. We just discuss it after. 

Science: Physics for Animators, Crash Course videos, Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

Social Studies: Guest Hollow World Geography, keep up with current events (pulled from the countries we're studying)

Fine Arts: continue trumpet lessons, unsure yet on art... either Aaron Blaise drawing tutorials, Ever Ancient Ever New Vol. 1, or he may take Visual Arts 110 through the local high school. 

Misc: The Animation Course 4, Mythology, Masterclass courses (Voice Acting, Comedy, Directing). May be taking a Playwriting course through a local theatre school. Just waiting for the schedule to be released to see if it works out. 

Extra Curricular: playing for the local high school band as well as a community band. May also be in the pit orchestra for the high school musical. 

You can probably figure out my son's career goals based on his curriculum list 😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Grade 11  (ASD)

1.0 U.S. History II (second half of Land of Hope with student guide, supplementing with Modern States videos since the ones by the author were boring us to tears)

1.0 Chemistry (Discovering Design with Chemistry) with an in person chemistry lab class 

We started biology late last year so I’m not sure when he will start the chem book.  The lab class does not require homework so we can do any book with it.

1.0 Algebra II  (A Fresh Approach)

1.0 Spanish I (Lifepac w/younger sis)  

This wasn’t getting done last year after a late start so we will try it this way.  It’s a bit easier since they can practice having a conversation together.

1.0 English

• LLATL Gold British Literature (part)  

• MP As You Like It, MP The Hound of Baskervilles

• Jensen’s Format Writing (final ¼ of book) 

• Grammar review book

• Lantern English writing class (essay writing)

1.0 Intro to Java (online via Grand Canyon University)

0.5 World Geography (Guest Hollow)

This will be w/younger sis, he won’t do all the activities she does but he will still do some map work and discussion of the text.

6.5 credits

• Like 1