Menu

Well-trained bodies - turn of the year, goals, January, etc

Laura Corin

A pretty good exercise day, despite terrible balance in my yoga session. Sun salutations and weights first thing, a brisk but short walk at lunchtime,  then yoga after work. Oh, and Kegels.

This is the view from my office at 3.22 yesterday - sunset and moonrise.

20230104_152315.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yoga this morning and a short walk.

Today was my day for massage therapy. My new therapist recently moved here from South Korea. She said it surprised her to learn Americans consider massage a luxury. In Korea many consider it a part of wellness. I've been getting massages for my back issues for years so it's wellness to me. I consider it part of my "well trained body" so I'm counting it for today. Map My Fitness has it listed so apparently they count it too even though it's under Recovery.

I don't think I'll get my steps in today. Rain is coming soon and will last for several hours on and off. I'll get close to my step goal but they'll come from just regular activity and walking around the house. 

• Like 10

I'm going to jump in for accountability and ideas. 

I have to lose 25 pounds. The extra weight is contributing to depression and I think it's exacerbating my joint and muscle issues. What I would like is advice on what I could be doing better, both for diet and exercise.

I am gluten free due to celiac. I also rarely eat cheese or other dairy products. I drink almond milk when milk is needed. I do use regular butter while cooking.

Today's food so far:

Breakfast:

hot tea (bengal spice) with 1/3 c unsweetened almond milk heated and frothed

2 eggs with 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch:

salad - 2 c greens, 2 slices ham (about 2.5 oz), 1 carrot (1/3 diced on salad and 2/3 as carrot sticks), hard boiled egg, and plant based cheddar cheese shreds, 2 TBS sugar free 1000 Island

32 oz water

Edited: dinner - banana, apple with almond butter (TBS), 2 gherkins, cup almond milk

another 32 oz water

Activity:

20 min Full Body Stretch video with Peloton

10 Min Dance Cardio warm up with Peloton

5 min cycling warm up with Peloton

30 min 90s Cycle class with Peloton

5 min Cool Down with Peloton

30 min in hot tub

Edited: 5 mile walk and playing with my dog (1hr. 45 mins) 

--

The Peloton stretching and yoga classes painful. I am not limber and the stretches hurt my joints (esp lower joints (ankles, knees). I also have to be careful about my feet. I had a comminuted fracture of the right big toe years ago from a freak horse accident. It never healed properly and the joint is gone. I also have remnants from a left foot fracture obtained while teaching tennis last March. It is still painful when improperly supported. Both of those injuries limit my ability to do things like planking, push ups, some yoga poses.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
Added dinner and exercise
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Does anyone here use MapMyWalk to track walks or hikes? I would love to have someone to share challenges with.

I use MapMyWalk (and MapMyFitness) but have never done any challenges. I'd be interested. Do you mean do the same challenge or just encourage each other in our own challenges? 

• Like 5

Got my steps in outside, it was sunny most of the day here. So I took my doggy for 2 1/2 miles, then did 4 on my own. It was so nice to be outside. 
I jumped a little, and stretched some. A good day. 

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A pretty good exercise day, despite terrible balance in my yoga session. Sun salutations and weights first thing, a brisk but short walk at lunchtime,  then yoga after work. Oh, and Kegels.

20230104_152315.jpg

This is beautiful! One of my 23 in 23 goals is to take a picture everyday. I need to remember to try to capture something pretty when I’m walking. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

20230104_152315.jpg

I love this. But I am so stuck on sunset at 3:22pm... 😱😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My headache finally abated, thank the gods.  

I made a deliciously heathy soup for dinner tonight, with homemade croutons made from 9 Grain bread sprinkled with a nutritional yeast spice blend. Dh and Ds both loved it as well so that’s something. 

I did not exercise today. I don’t have a good excuse, either; I’m obsessed with Wednesday Addams and I wanted to watch the 7th and 8th episodes instead, lol. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Meh day here.  
Morning stretches, 1 mile walk with one puppy, a bit of frolicking here and there in the yard with each puppy, 10 minute ab workout that was probably 7-8 because I didn’t put on grippy socks, and bedtime stretches to happen by 9ish.

I haven’t eaten enough today. Tomorrow I’m blocking it all out and eating whatever I want. Hopefully I’ll want a good bit of the healthy things I’m restocking the fridge with, lol. 

• Like 11

My two planned exercise options were both thwarted today. My gyrotonics class was canceled because the trainer is sick. Then later I planned to walk with a friend but she was overwhelmed by the cold and preferred to be inside. (She’s from a much warmer climate—what I perceive as balmy she perceives as just more wretched cold, poor thing.) At this point it’s best for me to keep rolling on laundry and work prep and then head to bed.

The plan tomorrow is twofold: to go to the gym and get in a solid weights/core workout and also to stick religiously to my ice/drugs schedule for my neck through the day. It has been a haphazard couple of days. It will only work to tamp down the inflammation if I really focus on rigid adherence to the schedule, and  I am in that lovely stage of trying to acclimate to the routine.

• Like 10

Morning stretch and toning routine is great, I look forward to it every night.  I'm doing slow walks with dd this week before I take her back to school on Sunday.  I am planning my new regimen for when I return.  Even though I am up for hours before younger dd, I don't want to be gone when she wakes up so I'm going to do my big hikes when she's at her activities.  We haven't figured out her term's rhythm yet, but she asked to discuss it this weekend.  I will plan mine at the same time.

I am thinking I will do my morning routine and then add something quiet.  I generally have at least two hours of alone time in the early morning.  I like spending it here!  But I need to attach another goal or two to this process since it's one of my few solid routines during the off-season.  The "stacking" system is working well for me so I will keep stacking.

• Like 11

I love kayaking but it will be a couple months at least before I get the chance to go again.  We belong to a lake where it's pretty easy to grab our kayaks off the racks but its a pretty small lake so not super interesting.

We're joining our neighborhood pool this summer instead of the lake and we live on a fair size river, so I'll switch to kayaking on the river, which should be more interesting.  I can also transport my kayak in my car, but it's annoying and obnoxious.

I met dd to workout at PF this morning.  We went Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week starting with a 30 minute warm up on the treadmill and then weight machines.  Today we did triceps and chest.   

Yesterday I didn't do a formal workout but my 4h club did a coding activity that involved mapping out dances and then we all did the dances, so I spent about 30 minutes leading 20 different dances involving steps, jumps, arms up and down, legs up and down.  It certainly felt like a workout. 

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I use MapMyWalk (and MapMyFitness) but have never done any challenges. I'd be interested. Do you mean do the same challenge or just encourage each other in our own challenges? 

Our own challenge. There's a tab for challenging friends. Since a lot of us walk, I thought it might be a fun way to encourage each other. Kind of like using a Fitbit; which I no longer have.

• Like 6

1/6

Planned food

B -1 egg, 2 pcs bacon, 1/4 c OJ, tea (95 cals)

L- GF chicken nuggets, sweet potato fries, 2 pickles, lettuce w/1000 Island (had to clean out the fridge before I leave tomorrow)

D - hamburger, mushroom, vegetable soup

Snacks - banana, humus

Exercise

Peloton cycling, stretch, strength

Min 3 mile walk with dog

• Like 8

I got in my walk yesterday. I did not get in strength training. I kept forgetting and honestly my current schedule annoys me and yoga is a higher priority. I have one more week planned of my 30 day- 30 min yoga series. I think I'll be happy with the minimum twice weekly strength workouts until I finish that. 

I think after the 30 day series I'll try out doing 4 days 30-45 min yoga/ 3 days strength w/ just 10 min yoga. Or maybe 3 yoga w/ 3 strength+ 10 min yoga and 1 day off. I want to continue yoga most days because I need it and feel better with it.

Planned later- walk

• Like 10

32 min on treadmill this morning. I did Day 4 yoga after dinner yesterday (not sure that's an optimal time for me), and I'll try to get Day 5 in some time today. I also scheduled my second Shingles vaccine for this morning while I'm still on break. I've heard of people feeling poorly after this vax which is why I avoided it so long, but I had no problems with the first shot in August. We'll see how the second goes. I had shingles 20 years ago--very mild and I got on meds immediately, but still I know I'm susceptible and I think the vax is probably a good idea.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Yes, PM me your registered name.

Done.

16 minutes ago, Soror said:

I think I'll be happy with the minimum twice weekly strength workouts until I finish that. 

I've decided I need to be happy with the minimum of whatever workout I planned. Something is better than nothing and my goal is to increase, not start out at the end goal.

• Like 7

Well, I am bummed and confused this morning. I've been watching my Apple Watch this week to get my steps in and when I started paying attention, I noticed that my Health app steps were a lot higher than my watch. I think it's adding my phone steps and my watch steps. So, the yearly averages I've been so proud of aren't quite accurate. It is what it is and I'm glad I figured out to start looking a little closer. I changed some settings on my phone, so we'll see if I start getting more accurate results. But it's going to be really hard to be last year's trend numbers now! HA! 

Today is a busy day, hopefully I can get in my steps and some strength training. I need to make time for it earlier before the day gets busy. But, honestly I usually don't have a lot going on in the dark evenings, so it's kind of nice to do it then. I just might tonight. 

• Like 9

Things discovered:

A 2 lb hand bell weighs more than you think when you are out of shape, and so arms are very sore. Too sore really. A little sore is fine, but this is in the "body barking at you to seriously be more careful" range so I am backing off to the 1lb barbell for two weeks, and then will try the 2lb again. I am willing to admit I am a weakling!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Dh decided to come with me and is driving so I have some time to spend on my phone.

@Granny_Weatherwax I accepted your friend request on MMW. @Laura Corin I sent you one.

I only see 3 challenges for me and no way to look for more. One is to run/walk 1023 km, another is to run/walk 20 miles a week. I'll likely do the first one. 

There's also a level up challenge to log 15 workouts in 30 days. I'll probably do that one maybe in February. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

As expected, I logged a fair number of steps yesterday afternoon just navigating from the parking lot through the runDisney bib and t-shirt pick-up situation. When I got home, I took the dog out for a couple of kilometers to top off my step count.

This morning, I walked the runDisney 10K (plus nearly 3K just getting from my car to the starting line and then back to my car after the race). 

The event went well, except the weather was a bit chilly, only in the low 50s. That temp is fine if you're dressed for it and can keep moving, but less than ideal when you're wearing typical runner's garb (leggings, shorts, running skirts, tutus, tanks or t-shirts, etc.) and stuck standing in a corral for 90 minutes waiting for your turn to start. Fortunately, it wasn't wet or windy, but folks were a little crankier and less enthusiastic than they have been for the previous races I've done there. 

Once we got started, though, it was fun. There was entertainment along the route, and cast members from the various country pavilions in Epcot were out front waving and cheering us on. 

I managed a personal best in terms of time for a 10K, coming in a little above the midway point  in my age/gender division. 

I am feeling even draggier than usual trying to work today, but otherwise feel good. (And I already clocked all of my steps/distance for the day.) 

No yoga or anything else this morning, because I had to be out so early to get to WDW. I am hoping to scrounge up the time (10 whole minutes) and determination to do Joelle's daily video this evening. I will also probably walk the dog at least briefly at some point. That will be it for the day, though.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 448.6 of 500K
Walking Streak: 10

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

1/6

Planned food

B -1 egg, 2 pcs bacon, 1/4 c OJ, tea (95 cals)

L- brussels sprouts with olive oil and parmesan

D- squash

Snacks - banana, apple, tea

Exercise

Peloton warm up, cycling, stretch, strength, cool down

Min 3 mile walk with dog

Since you asked for thoughts and seem to be looking for some changes-- 

Mine are-- why are you eating so little today?

Are you low carb/keto/paleo? How long have you ate this way how has it worked for you? Is it something you easily maintain?

I was paleo for maybe a decade. I was lc and vlc for a chunk of that. I am not either one any longer.  And not a fan anymore fwiw. I've been gluten free for 14 years dairy free off and on for years- currently back off dairy. So, I'm very familiar with both of those.  At this point, I'm aiming for increasing nutrient density-- cutting back on meat- increasing vegetables. I'm a work in progress like everyone else- sometimes I reach my goals, sometimes I don't. I hate to see women starve themselves and see that is often idealized--- that is where I'm coming from. 

I believe I am younger and pre-menopausal (although I've started the fun of peri) so I can likely eat more than you but I also know you are an active person. I don't think your menu for today is nearly enough food and protein.

Specific thoughts-

I'd switch out some of the fruit with some whole grains-- I love gf oats and eat them pretty much every day.

I'd move the bacon to a rare treat and eat a healthier fat instead- nuts/seeds/avocado ie egg w/ whole grain gf toast w/ avocado

I'd lower the olive oil and parmesan amounts and add in instead some quinoa or brown rice for some whole grains and beans (or meat) to increase nutrients and higher protein count-- ie make it a grain and bean bowl w/ brussel sprouts and other veggies and just a bit of the olive oil and Parmesan for taste

I'd eat something with that squash for dinner on it's own that is a pretty sparse on its own.

Have you read any of Stacy Sims' books? She was an athlete herself (still very active) and specifically studies nutrition and exercise for women. She's very much for nutrient density, timing food with exercise, NOT low carb for women, and making sure you aren't undereating for your activity level.

I know the current calorie in-calorie out mantra says anyone not losing weight/overweight is just overeating but she has specific experience with women showing the opposite. They lost weight when they ate more and specifically also increased nutrient density. 

(hoping this comes in the spirit as intended as these discussions are rife with landmines---- I just see you being so hard and stringent on yourself and I hate that 🙂

• Like 6

I did some good 10 minute yoga this morning, then weights this afternoon.

I thought I’d try splitting push/pull workouts, but I don’t think I like them! I don’t know. I’ll give it a little more time.

Still pondering food stuff. I stuck to my early morning protein coffee and later morning seedy oatmeal (that is what I’m calling it!) and once again didn’t feel genuinely hungry the rest of the day.  I ate an almost balanced lunch around 2 anyway, and spaghetti and meatballs were supposed to be my “I do what I want” dinner, but I still felt stuffed, and had much less than I would have in the past.

This would all be great if I were only trying to lose pounds, but I want to be able to do pull ups eventually! 😛 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Mark: "I need to get in shape for kayaking too. I guess I will do what you are doing and  20 or 30 more reps than you do with the 10 lb bell."

Me: "Okie dokie, babe!"

Someone who shall not be named that is not me is in the bathtub soaking his aching body. Sure, I may only be doing 15 crunches, but a dude at 58 that hasn't done sits ups or crunches since college and has a desk job, might want to consider starting a little slower. Just saying. 😁😁😁

She who shall not be named feels stretched, and the arms are a little achy and can tell she has worked out, but also is not moaning and groaning from the bathroom and asking where the Epsom salts and Icy Hot are. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

This would all be great if I were only trying to lose pounds, but I want to be able to do pull ups eventually! 😛 

I worked up to the ability to do dead hang pullups with just doing upper/lower splits- that was my 40th bday goal. I ended up using a training for part of the time but mostly I think it was just focused practice and utilizing progressions. But it was very hard on my shoulder and I was unable to maintain it. I've very easily worked up to doing pull-ups (chin-ups technically) from the doorway pull-up rack multiple times. That is much easier for me to maintain and not nearly so hard on my not so great shoulder. At home, I've used assistance bands and negatives and lots of core work as a lot of it is core.

---------------------------------

Stupid hormones. I'm struggling this week with mood, energy, all of it. I still didn't do strength yesterday and no walk. I've got just today left to get in my minimum goals. At least I've done my yoga. I've also stuck with dairy free- 1 whole week that's the longest I've been in a couple of years maybe. No dairy of any sort. My nose still has some stuffiness but it is improved. I'm hoping at the end of 30 days it is gone.

Today's another day and all that- goals- Day 24 Empowered Yoga Series/ walk/strength

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Mark: "I need to get in shape for kayaking too. I guess I will do what you are doing and  20 or 30 more reps than you do with the 10 lb bell."

Someone who shall not be named that is not me is in the bathtub soaking his aching body. Sure, I may only be doing 15 crunches, but a dude at 58 that hasn't done sits ups or crunches since college and has a desk job, might want to consider starting a little slower. Just saying. 😁😁😁

She who shall not be named feels stretched, and the arms are a little achy and can tell she has worked out, but also is not moaning and groaning from the bathroom and asking where the Epsom salts and Icy Hot are. 

Aw, poor guy! 😉 

My husband still hasn’t used the pretty great gym space I put together. He’s afraid he can’t lift as much as me.  
But the thing is, he has super low body fat. He can go work 2 fire calls and have stone chiseled arms for the next two weeks. He has no rights to envy here!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I worked up to the ability to do dead hang pullups with just doing upper/lower splits- that was my 40th bday goal. I ended up using a training for part of the time but mostly I think it was just focused practice and utilizing progressions. But it was very hard on my shoulder and I was unable to maintain it. I've very easily worked up to doing pull-ups (chin-ups technically) from the doorway pull-up rack multiple times. That is much easier for me to maintain and not nearly so hard on my not so great shoulder. At home, I've used assistance bands and negatives and lots of core work as a lot of it is core.

I am at the I Can Kinda Hang My Bodyweight Here For A Few Seconds point, lol. Sometimes I can even pull my legs up once or twice!   
My core is starting to get slightly stronger.  Someday!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Someone I know well who was on track team at university in the 1970s was for decades convinced that he could just start running any time he felt like it. He would run too far, get injured, and stop. His wife may have suggested a graduated programme that included rebuilding strength, but he was a runner and didn't need that.

Thirty years into the marriage,  he saw two physios who advised working on strength before even thinking about running. He went to the gym twice this week and is both astonished by how weak he is and pleased that he now has an idea what to do.... His wife may have tooth marks on her tongue.

----------

Today - rest day, so just Kegels, sun salutations and ten minutes of leg strength, plus a short walk with the old dog. Tomorrow we hope to hike in the Highlands. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

I've "stacked" some new moves into my morning routine: doing arms weights, crunches, and strength moves in the time it takes my second cup of coffee water to boil.  I filled the kettle full and put it on a lower flame to trick myself into slowing down. I also left my weights where I have to see them each morning.

• Like 10

I got a decent number of steps on the drive day. Thursday I managed an OK step count. Friday I played 4 games of pickleball and ended the day with 12k steps. But I got in a fight with my dad over pickleball and me not paying attention to the score, retaining the rules, etc. I got really mad and said well I don't need to play, I only bought the paddle for you. The truth is, I would like to continue to play down the line, but I just have to take the time to really learn the rules. Like in SLOW MOTION. I read rules online, I've watched people play on YouTube and in person, and I still go "wait, huh? They screwed up, how is it STILL their team's ball? I know it's because you have 2 servers and I guess you get a second shot? But during the play I'm like who do I toss the ball to? Who's serving? Do I say number 1 or 2? It's almost like a processing thing... I can't compute the info fast enough to know what to do next and then I feel foolish and worry people will become increasingly agitated with me. Once I sense agitation it's no longer fun. I play for fun/exercise. Then people routinely spout out advice like I'm an idiot (don't hit the ball so high). I tried to explain to my dad, ok, let's say someone is a terrible bowler and you just keep saying to them, "just throw the ball straight down the lane." THEY KNOW THAT. But their brain and hand aren't doing it. 

He didn't understand why I would like bowling because bowling keeps score. I said because the machines keep score. I don't have to think! I did bowl a long time ago where I had to manually keep score. I was in a summer league in high school and we took turns. I hated that part of the game. But at least it was with paper and pencil where I can see the numbers. I believe I have dyscalculia so I always hate anything with mental math. I also played basketball in high school, but I didn't have to keep score. The score board showed the score. This is a weird hang up of mine, I know. But I just really want to play for fun. If a referee was keeping score I would be in heaven. Maybe I can find some beginners that don't care so much. Ironically, every team I was on Friday won lol. I'm decent at returning balls, just need to aim better and know when to not go after it because it's gonna go out of bounds. 

I'm visiting my dad because of the fiasco with xh moving the kids 4 hours away. Dd and I bought swim passes to an indoor place where we're meeting up with my friend and her kids this afternoon. It will be totally recreational. It's a weird layout and I won't be able to get any laps in. But it will be movement at least. I forgot to pack swim towels so I'll need to figure out something. 

I couldn't find my other sports bra so I have to keep washing the one I have. I think it's time to buy more but not sure I can find the same kind (bought years ago). 

• Like 11

Day 5 yoga after 8:00 last night was kind of a joke. Lots of Labrador petting and wrestling--she was way more involved than Saturday morning yoga when she quickly returns to the sofa for a nap. Day 6 yoga this morning was short but focused on core. I started out ok but eventually had to stop doing all the reps. I do not focus on core much!

Dh is doing the airport run today for youngest. I need to care for disabled dd while also getting this house in shape and prepping lessons for the first half of the week. It's been a good break, and it was much needed for mental, emotional, and physical health. I have returned to the place where I love my job and feel lucky to be there.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 12

@heartlikealion pickleball scoring is confusing! It takes awhile to get used to it. And even now when I play a lot, people forget. But there is usually one player on the court that can keep track of it for everyone 😀

I hope you keep playing. It’s been a great addition to my exercise and my life really. Pickleball people are usually some of the nicest you’ll meet. Don’t get stuck with the hardcore ones. It’s supposed to be fun! It’s pickleball! 

• Like 6

Given the 10K yesterday, I had logged my full step count very early in the day. However, I did do Joelle's daily jumpstart video in the evening, just so I didn't fall behind.

I'm running a little behind on steps and distance today. I took the dog out briefly and did the usual walk to and from the yoga at the lake site, but I think that came to a total short of my 4.5K morning goal. 

I did go to yoga at the lake, which was cold (for Florida) but nice.

I'm going with my adult kiddo this afternoon to get tattoos -- her first and my second. Mine will be on my lower leg/ankle, so we'll see how I feel after that and how much walking I want to do later. I'll figure out something.

I will also do Joelle's video when I get a chance.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 48.0 of 500K
Walking Streak: 11

• Like 11

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm pretty sure my dad's scale is "off" because I weighed 139.4 at my house and 136 here. 

Household scale can vary by up to 5 lbs and a trainer once told me that if the floor is not perfectly flat, any slope at all, and the sensors can go wonky. Even medical scales in facilities need to be recalibrated regular due to wear and tear, but home scales never are so it isn't surprising.

• Like 7

I'm 3/3 as of today for walking my approx. 2 mi neighborhood route.  I've decided to look at it as a streak and try to keep it going.  It got me up from a nap today to walk to try to beat the rain, so maybe this mindset shift will help.  Little steps.

• Like 10

Question:  favorite step counter?  I have an old Apple Watch that is apparently past its technological lifespan. I quit wearing it because I didn't want to always be connected. What's a good, reliable tracker that doesn't necessarily have all the bells and whistles?  What are the necessarily bells and whistles, in your opinions?

• Like 5