Menu

I need a teeny tiny food processor or one capable of finely chopping teeny tiny quantities of food

MercyA

So! Peep our new canary is doing great. He has a big personality in a tiny little body. 🙂 

We are trying to ween him off of eating mostly seed and get him eating some pellets (more nutritionally complete, lower fat). Our last sweet canary died from liver disease, which is exacerbated by a largely seed diet. She ate lots of fruits and veggies but we could not get her to eat pellets well. Birds often do not recognize them as food. 

Peep likes a mash of chopped apples and pellets but I think he is still picking out the apples and leaving the pellets behind when possible. I have a little food processor but the blade doesn't get low enough to do a good job of really chopping up the pellets and combing them with the apples. I can't do more than about 1/2 tsp. of pellets and a slice or two of apple at a time, because it doesn't stay fresh and won't freeze well.

I want something that is going to pulverize the pellets and apple together and can do it in these tiny quantities. 🙂 I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. Actually I'd like to spend under $40 if possible. 

Does this product exist? 

Maybe an immersion blender? Where you could stir the mixture and blend repeatedly to get the pellets close to the blade? Otherwise, I wonder about a mortar and pestle being better for the task and cheaper. I’ve never owned one, but I dream of being the kind of person who grinds my spices that way. LOL

I love hearing about you and your birdies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much! The electric food processors linked are similar to the one I have. 

Considering a mortal and pestle or manual garlic press or chopper. I think the mortal and pestle would work better to grind the pellets up. 

Please keep the ideas coming! Maybe there is something I haven't thought of. A coffee grinder? A baby food maker?

Edited by MercyA

10 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thank you all so much! The electric food processors linked are similar to the one I have. 

Considering a mortal and pestle or manual garlic press or chopper. I think the mortal and pestle would work better to grind the pellets up. 

Please keep the ideas coming! Maybe there is something I haven't thought of. A coffee grinder? A baby food maker?

I have a heavy stone mortal and pestle and it really does a great job. I think you just need to make sure it is the heavy kind. 

• Thanks 1

This is my one devoted to animal food.  It is great in making a fine paste for our special needs Guinea pig.  No chunks left at all. 

Limited-time deal: VOVGUU Electric Food Chopper, Meat Grinder Electric, Food Processor Electric 2L Stainless Steel Meat Blender Food Chopper for Meat, Vegetables, Fruits and Nuts with 4 Sharp Blades, 300W, 2L, 120V https://a.co/d/6Atnelq

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bambam said:

This would be what I would suggest. It's small, it chops very fine, and it is inexpensive. 

But is there such a thing as a coffee grinder that can do wet ingredients too? I looked at several and they were for dry ingredients only.

I could do what Katie suggested and do the pellets separately.

Love these ideas! 

50 minutes ago, MercyA said:

But is there such a thing as a coffee grinder that can do wet ingredients too? I looked at several and they were for dry ingredients only.

I could do what Katie suggested and do the pellets separately.

Love these ideas! 

I've only used mine for dry. I don't do coffee, but we've used our for flax seeds and nuts. 

I do have this which I use to cut up onions and chickpeas and parsley and garlic when we are making falafel. But I think it may be too big for the small amount you are doing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7186XI

It is possible you could prepare the food on Day 1, and then freeze individual portions in an ice cube tray - and once they are frozen wrap them individually so they don't dehydrate, and then just take them out 8-10 hours in advance of feeding? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1