Menu

World Cup

rebcoola

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Watching the highlights on YouTube. Not crazy over Messi or Ronaldo. I watch football more for the goalkeepers so supporting players like Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Thibaut Courtois, Alisson Becker and Ederson Moraes.

Never really loved Messi or Ronaldo either.  I prefer a complete team vs. a Star.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Watching the highlights on YouTube. Not crazy over Messi or Ronaldo. I watch football more for the goalkeepers so supporting players like Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Thibaut Courtois, Alisson Becker and Ederson Moraes.

Then you'll like Ochoa's save today! (Mexico)

I'm English so.......yes, I'm watching all of the matches! LOL! Not an Argentina fan (obvs) so happy to see that result today.

• Like 2

Yes, watching.. At least dome of the games.  Not enough hours w work, for the both of us to watch all the games. 

This morning my phone told me about Argentina shocker.  I then told dh that we needed to watch that game.  So far, we have watched Qatar v Ecuador, Argentina v Saudi Arabia, England v Iran, and part of France v Australia and Poland v Mexico.

Oh and we were rooting for Australia, not France.

Yes, we've got Telemundo on continuously. Dh works from home and keeps the TV on in the background on mute while he's in meetings. His firm is mainly European so his colleagues are doing the same.

What we're really looking forward to is going to matches in 2026! We had a lot of fun at the Copa de Oro, there's nothing like a huge tournament and American stadiums are good at crowd control so it doesn't feel scary.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:19 PM, Arcadia said:

Polish keeper has 2 PK saves already that's nuts.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Beth S Japan lost to Croatia on penalties.  Was telling DS18 that I hope that the Japan team’s goalkeeper doesn’t get blamed by the public.

If anything the Japanese penalty kick takers will probably take the brunt of the heat. Their kicks were really soft. I thought the goal keeper for Japan did a great job.

Really wanted Japan to win but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

I'm English so I'm waiting for Mbappe to run circles around us on Saturday. Really, really, really hoping to be proved wrong though!

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 6:28 AM, nellywilk said:

I don't watch all the games, but definitely follow the whole thing. There are a lot of "surprises" in this Cup and none of my prediction are coming true now. I was expecting to see the the final between Germany and Spain

I expected Brasil v France. We'll see!

3 minutes ago, importswim said:

If anything the Japanese penalty kick takers will probably take the brunt of the heat. Their kicks were really soft. I thought the goal keeper for Japan did a great job.

I think so too. Generally speaking though, strikers tend to get credit fast while goalkeepers get blamed fast.  It tends to be “goalkeeper should have saved it” instead of “striker should have done better” 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:28 AM, nellywilk said:

I don't watch all the games, but definitely follow the whole thing. There are a lot of "surprises" in this Cup and none of my prediction are coming true now. I was expecting to see the the final between Germany and Spain

There always are I put different upsets in my bracket.  Good thing I don't bet I would have lost so much.  After all the chaos of the first round no upsets in the 2nd.

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I think so too. Generally speaking though, strikers tend to get credit fast while goalkeepers get blamed fast.  It tends to be “goalkeeper should have saved it” instead of “striker should have done better” 

Penalty kicks are the exception to this. The kicker is supposed to score.  The rate is like 92% of kicks on target go in.  So when you don't score on a penalty it is your fault for hitting it too soft,or  too central.  

• Like 1

I don't watch sports but I follow the scores and who's in/out. My 74 yo neighbor from Brazil is very into it so I've checked the scores in order to know if I should be happy for her. 🙂

Speaking of Brazil I thought what the team did for Pele was so sweet. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

15 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I don't watch sports but I follow the scores and who's in/out. My 74 yo neighbor from Brazil is very into it so I've checked the scores in order to know if I should be happy for her. 🙂

Speaking of Brazil I thought what the team did for Pele was so sweet. 

For sure. Pele is a football legend.

Also all 26 members of the Brazil national team got to play. Their “B team” played against Cameron (lost 0-1) in group stage but they had already qualified then for round of 16. Their 3rd goalkeeper, Weverton, played after the 80th min against South Korea. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, importswim said:

I was watching. Was hoping for France to win but happy that Messi got his happy ending, even though I didn't want him to win. LOL! Complicated football feelings.

Crazy match!

I feel the same. Mbappe was so good! Sorry France couldn’t win it, but still an amazing match. 

2 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I feel the same. Mbappe was so good! Sorry France couldn’t win it, but still an amazing match. 

I'm originally from England so choosing France was the lesser of two "evils" HA HA HA. Mbappe was amazing. Thought Deschamps did an excellent job managing the match with his subs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, importswim said:

I'm originally from England so choosing France was the lesser of two "evils" HA HA HA. Mbappe was amazing. Thought Deschamps did an excellent job managing the match with his subs.

I wouldn’t call myself a huge soccer fan; however, ever since I was in high school (many moons ago 😂) I would always watch the World Cup. I loved it! And, funny enough I’d always root for England. I was a bit conflicted on who to root for this year since the US actually made it fairly far. But I did what you did for the final in picking France as the lesser of two “evils.” ☺️

• Like 1

I watched all the quarter finals, semis, and final. What an awesome tournament. I would have been happy with any of the final four teams winning it all, but I think the Messi story has a very satisfying ending. I think the final game was one of the most exciting matches I've ever seen. 

I was neutral going into this match.  It was a good final.  A cherry on top of his career for Messi making him I think the G.O.A.T.   

We have years of French dominance to look forward to.  They were missing so many key players and still almost won. Mbappe is such an amazing goal scorer.  Having so few touches throughout this game and than to score those goals is not something many can do.