Menu

Top loader washing machine

Pippen

Our old front loading Whirlpool isn't worth repairing and I need to find something today. Does anyone have a top loader you've bought recently that you're happy with?

I had always planned on buying a Speed Queen as a replacement, but after reading reviews I'm not sure on that.

21 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

We bought a top loader Speed Queen in 2020 and absolutely love it. There were a couple of years prior to 2020 when they made changes and the reviews were bad and I waited until that mess was over before buying. I don't remember which years to avoid though.

Thanks. Which model did you buy? Yes, this 2019 was the review that has me concerned. https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/speed-queen-tr7-review-top-loader-isnt-laundry-royalty/

Edited by Pippen

If you trust Consumer Reports, they rank LG the highest.

After being resistant to front loaders for years, we recently bought an LG front loader because it has a cleaning cycle to prevent mildew or odor problems with the seals & gaskets. I wanted our short kiddos to be able to switch laundry. 😉

If you're going top loader, you have to decide impeller vs. agitator to narrow the field.
https://www.consumerreports.org/top-load-agitator-washer/best-and-worst-agitator-top-loaders-a1769315028/

https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/washing-machines/best-and-worst-high-efficiency-top-load-washers-a3811116909/

We had a top loader impeller by LG from Lowe's that we liked.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

Which model did you buy?

We bought the TR7 2020 model and I love it. I bought it for 3 reasons: reliability, agitation and the ability to control the water level. I have eczema kids and have to use wimpy laundry soap and plenty of water to rinse. I have not noticed any difference in the ability to clean clothes with previous washing machines - top loading GE and Kenmore. 

There were 2 other top loaders I considered in 2020: the base model Speed Queen top loading agitator and the commercial Maytag top loader. In 2020, the base model Speed Queen top loader was a real honest to goodness old school agitator and had a deep water cycle that would have been just fine except my DH couldn't stand the idea of buying the base model.....he likes bells and whistles!!! (that I don't use....). The commercial Maytag top loader was recommended by our service tech as being reliable, agitator and deep water. I would have been happy with that one too. 

In the end, the salesperson at the appliance store showed my DH the difference in thickness of the metal parts in the Speed Queen and other brands and that was the end of the discussion. The TR7 2020 has worked out great for us.

• Like 1

I've had this Maytag since July 2018 and have been very happy with it. It's been trouble free and is more than adjustable enough for our needs (cycles, deep water wash, extra rinse, etc.). The auto sensing has always worked fine for me. I've only used the deep water wash one time, and that was just to see how much water it actually used. Our grungiest clothes are from yard work, exercising, and dog stuff and I've never had a problem with it getting everything squeaky clean on the auto sensing cycle, so I haven't seen any need to use (and waste) more water. It does make some weird and rather loud noises compared to other machines I've had, but that's my only complaint. Cycles are fairly long but that's not an issue for me. I did look at Speed Queens before buying but was underwhelmed by the small tub size and by the reviews they were getting then. So far I haven't regretted going with the Maytag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pippen said:

Our old front loading Whirlpool isn't worth repairing and I need to find something today. Does anyone have a top loader you've bought recently that you're happy with?

I had always planned on buying a Speed Queen as a replacement, but after reading reviews I'm not sure on that.

I bought a speed Queen and I am very happy with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I've had this Maytag since July 2018 and have been very happy with it. It's been trouble free and is more than adjustable enough for our needs (cycles, deep water wash, extra rinse, etc.). The auto sensing has always worked fine for me. I've only used the deep water wash one time, and that was just to see how much water it actually used. Our grungiest clothes are from yard work, exercising, and dog stuff and I've never had a problem with it getting everything squeaky clean on the auto sensing cycle, so I haven't seen any need to use (and waste) more water. It does make some weird and rather loud noises compared to other machines I've had, but that's my only complaint. Cycles are fairly long but that's not an issue for me. I did look at Speed Queens before buying but was underwhelmed by the small tub size and by the reviews they were getting then. So far I haven't regretted going with the Maytag.

I was worried about the tub size too……but then I realized that the times I filled up my huge Whirlpool it was too big of a load for my dryer. I wash my Queen duvet in it with no issues.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The link you posted is for a 4.2 tub, that is what my SQ is.  My old Whirlpool (actually NOT old-2 years old when I got rid of it) was over 6.  

We have a basic Whirlpool, with dials rather than buttons, and no fancy settings.  It does not have the center agitator and we like that.  We bought it 3 1/2 years ago and haven't had any problems or issues.  We like it, but we tend to go for simple thinking the fewer things that can go wrong the better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CTVKath said:

We bought a top loader Speed Queen in 2020 and absolutely love it. There were a couple of years prior to 2020 when they made changes and the reviews were bad and I waited until that mess was over before buying. I don't remember which years to avoid though.

Right.  I bought mine earlier this year I think.  I remember all the reviews freaking me out, but all is well now I think.  My boss has a Maytag with no agitator and it is fine too.  

Btw, I was so disgusted by the sensing on my junk Whirlpool that when I got my SQ I did not even try it.  I just went straight for the large load every time.  Then I was at my SIL’s house and noticed they were using the auto fill and they said it had worked fine for them.  So I have now switched to auto on mine and it has been fine.

Super happy with my Speed Queen top loader.  Solid as a rock.  I fully expect to need to put it in my will, LOL.  The clothes come out clean.  Spraying spot remover is less necessary than it’s been in years.  Cycles are quite fast.  The machine does not shake when it spins, even with heavy wet towels.  SOLID.

One thing to know—the eco cycle is all cold tap water regardless of setting.

Another—SQ does not mix to a temperature, so cold is cold tap water, hot is hot tap water, and warm is half and half.  During the winter months when our tap water is extremely cold I run some hot water into the machine and then switch to warm, or else the warm is almost cold.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I felt the same way about the speed queen.  It wouldn’t fit my queen and king quilts and that was a deal breaker for me.  I am not going to the laundromat weekly to wash bedding.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

The link you posted is for a 4.2 tub, that is what my SQ is.  My old Whirlpool (actually NOT old-2 years old when I got rid of it) was over 6.  

That link might not be exactly the same model as mine. Mine has one more digit on the end of the model number, and IIRC (which is a big if) my tub is 5.3. The tub on mine is huge compared to the SQs that were in stock around here at the time. 

• Like 1

I had a front loader that was replaced with a top load Samsung. It plays a loud song when done instead of beeping that can be turned off if you have small children who nap. My biggest gripe is the machine is large capacity so it is extremely difficult to reach in and get the clothes out to put in the dryer. I’m 5’2”. My friend with the same problem says that she uses tongs to get to the clothes on the bottom.. Just something to think about. No recommendation really. 😂 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what issues the speed queens had, but I know they went to electronics and front loaders for awhile.  We bought the very basic, but xl size, model with all manual dials and it’s been fine.  I think it would be fine if you find a non-electronic/computer board model.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, matrips said:

I’m not sure what issues the speed queens had, but I know they went to electronics and front loaders for awhile.  We bought the very basic, but xl size, model with all manual dials and it’s been fine.  I think it would be fine if you find a non-electronic/computer board model.

They started out making washers for laundrymats, so they do know how to build a solid front loader.  I prefer top loaders, though.  More containment if something breaks down, and you can open them mid-cycle without causing a flood.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, itsheresomewhere said:

I felt the same way about the speed queen.  It wouldn’t fit my queen and king quilts and that was a deal breaker for me.  I am not going to the laundromat weekly to wash bedding.  

I wash queen comforters in mine. I think a king quilt would be fine, but I don’t know about a really bulky king comforter. The only thing I own that won’t fit in my Speed Queen is a double sleeping bag that won’t zip apart.  Everything else is no problem. We don’t have a bed larger than queen though. 

21 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I wash queen comforters in mine. I think a king quilt would be fine, but I don’t know about a really bulky king comforter. The only thing I own that won’t fit in my Speed Queen is a double sleeping bag that won’t zip apart.  Everything else is no problem. We don’t have a bed larger than queen though. 

I took two of my quilts when I went looking at them to see how they would fit.  They didn’t fit well in the machines to wash completely. Dog beds would have not fit well either.   Plus, compared to my old washer and current washer they didn’t hold as much.  I would take more time doing the laundry than I want. 

• Like 1

We bought a Speed Queen a year or two ago (maybe even more). It was fine for normal household laundry, but anything really dirty ( my kids muddy play clothes, husband ‘s work clothes) never would get clean, even on heavy duty cycle with special detergent. If there was too tight a fold in the jeans in the tub you’d find dirt in the fold after they were washed.

So we bought a Amana a few days ago. Too early to say if I recommend it, but it gets the clothes cleaner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emba said:

We bought a Speed Queen a year or two ago (maybe even more). It was fine for normal household laundry, but anything really dirty ( my kids muddy play clothes, husband ‘s work clothes) never would get clean, even on heavy duty cycle with special detergent. If there was too tight a fold in the jeans in the tub you’d find dirt in the fold after they were washed.

So we bought a Amana a few days ago. Too early to say if I recommend it, but it gets the clothes cleaner.

I wonder if you got a Speed Queen during their "bad"years.  2016 was the last good year from the original run.  I believe the bad years were 2017-2019 but I may be slightly off on that.

Mine is a 2016 and I've never once had an experience like you describe even with tightly folded clothes or overpacked machine.

Edited by cjzimmer1

12 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I took two of my quilts when I went looking at them to see how they would fit.  They didn’t fit well in the machines to wash completely. Dog beds would have not fit well either.   Plus, compared to my old washer and current washer they didn’t hold as much.  I would take more time doing the laundry than I want. 

Ooooh, that's smart to take your quilts shopping with you.  I remember that years ago someone on here took her dishes with her to buy a dishwasher.  Someone else took a magnet to buy a fridge and called the salesman out when the magnet stuck to the "stainless steel" refrigerator.  I learn so much here.  

I don't remember the size of my washer.  I bought it in 2010-2011.  At the time I got caught up in the actual capacity of the machine as listed vs the real usable capacity because of how much water each machine uses.  So, a larger drum doesn't always mean you can wash more clothes.  I'm convinced that having soft water coming out of your taps does a lot of cleaning work that the machines get credit for.  Our water is good, so even the 'cheap' top loader I had before the speed queen did an excellent job and lasted about 18 years.  The model I have allows me to manually add even more water than the extra large load if I want to increase wash capacity.  I'm used to quick wash cycles, so I'd have to set an alarm for longer cycles or just switch the clothes over in the morning.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I lived in a desert or an area with really hard water or if I had a larger family.  I'd probably have to figure out which giant machine didn't have mildew issues and got everything clean with less water.  In my daughter's apartment, her machine is a front loader that washes and dries their clothes.  It's a cool concept but it's broken twice on her in less than a year.  I love the idea though.  I have definitely forgotten and rewashed the occasional load.  

24 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ooooh, that's smart to take your quilts shopping with you.  I remember that years ago someone on here took her dishes with her to buy a dishwasher.  Someone else took a magnet to buy a fridge and called the salesman out when the magnet stuck to the "stainless steel" refrigerator.  I learn so much here.  

I don't remember the size of my washer.  I bought it in 2010-2011.  At the time I got caught up in the actual capacity of the machine as listed vs the real usable capacity because of how much water each machine uses.  So, a larger drum doesn't always mean you can wash more clothes.  I'm convinced that having soft water coming out of your taps does a lot of cleaning work that the machines get credit for.  Our water is good, so even the 'cheap' top loader I had before the speed queen did an excellent job and lasted about 18 years.  The model I have allows me to manually add even more water than the extra large load if I want to increase wash capacity.  I'm used to quick wash cycles, so I'd have to set an alarm for longer cycles or just switch the clothes over in the morning.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I lived in a desert or an area with really hard water or if I had a larger family.  I'd probably have to figure out which giant machine didn't have mildew issues and got everything clean with less water.  In my daughter's apartment, her machine is a front loader that washes and dries their clothes.  It's a cool concept but it's broken twice on her in less than a year.  I love the idea though.  I have definitely forgotten and rewashed the occasional load.  

I love having the add extra water feature.  It is one of my has it or not buying it requirements.