Menu

What size suitcase to purchase

vonfirmath

My kids will likely be going to the grandparents next summer (flying) And so we want to get them suitcases for Christmas. So I started looking -- I think medium size should be sufficient?  How do you decide what size?  They also have to be able to manage it on their own for some distances.

The suitcase that is most likely to easily meet the weight limit requirements. So I would go well-made cloth medium sized. See if a close friend has some suitcases and bring some clothes over and stuff that suitcase silly weigh it and see how easy or not easy it is to exceed that limit.

• Like 1

That's the tricky part with medium sized suitcases, keeping the weight down. If you are over your 50 pound limit they charge a ton. Of course you can take things out and put in your carry on and wear an extra jacket but that's a pain. I also find it easier to pack more into a suitcase that opens from the top, one big section instead of splitting open in the middle with two sides to pack. Am I making sense? Go to the store and walk their suitcases around and see how easy they are to move along, how the wheels feel and check the weight of the suitcase.

• Like 1

Is that a domestic or international flight? Are your children checking in the luggage or putting into the cabin overhead storage?

For checkin luggage, my kids at your son’s age have no problems with the full size (extra large?) ones as in getting them off the conveyor belt onto a luggage cart, and also taking the bus and subway. Your daughter might prefer a large or medium.

For cabin luggage, I would go with whatever the airline’s maximum dimensions requirements are. That would be small size I guess.

We travel light though so a week’s clothing would go into a typical 15” laptop backpack. We bring luggage when we need to bring back gifts for in-laws. 

I don't think you can go wrong with a roll aboard suitcase. They can check it or carry it on and put it in the overhead bin. If they have to change planes, I highly suggest carry on. Fellow travelers are good to pitch in to help smaller people get their suitcases in & out of the bins, I've found. Get one with four wheels if you can, they are easier to maneuver.

Since they are going to the grandparents, they can do laundry when they need to, so no need to over pack. If they buy anything there that will go home with them, it can be sent home via UPS/USPS or boxed and checked on their return flight, whichever is less expensive.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I don't think you can go wrong with a roll aboard suitcase. They can check it or carry it on and put it in the overhead bin. If they have to change planes, I highly suggest carry on. Fellow travelers are good to pitch in to help smaller people get their suitcases in & out of the bins, I've found. Get one with four wheels if you can, they are easier to maneuver.

Since they are going to the grandparents, they can do laundry when they need to, so no need to over pack. If they buy anything there that will go home with them, it can be sent home via UPS/USPS or boxed and checked on their return flight, whichever is less expensive.

So much this. Even for three weeks in Europe we only took a roll aboard suitcase that fit in the overhead compartment and a small daypack each. Packing light and doing laundry makes everything so much easier regardless of the destination. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Is that a domestic or international flight? Are your children checking in the luggage or putting into the cabin overhead storage?

For checkin luggage, my kids at your son’s age have no problems with the full size (extra large?) ones as in getting them off the conveyor belt onto a luggage cart, and also taking the bus and subway. Your daughter might prefer a large or medium.

For cabin luggage, I would go with whatever the airline’s maximum dimensions requirements are. That would be small size I guess.

We travel light though so a week’s clothing would go into a typical 15” laptop backpack. We bring luggage when we need to bring back gifts for in-laws. 

Domestic.  Planning to check the luggage so they have as little to deal with on the flight as possible. And we're going to plan on a no lay-overs flight.  But NEXT summer (2024) I hope to take my son to Honduras so it'd be good if his could handle international as well.

Edited by vonfirmath

7 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Domestic.  Planning to check the luggage so they have as little to deal with on the flight as possible. And we're going to plan on a no lay-overs flight.  But NEXT summer (2024) I hope to take my son to Honduras so it'd be good if his could handle international as well.

I’d still buy ones you could carry on. I always travel with only a carry-on size roller bag and a small backpack. I do often check it because my credit card allows it for free as a perk. Anything larger is just more of a hassle to deal with and that way you also don’t need to ever buy another size.

If you’re worried about everything fitting in a carry on, I’d invest in a set of packing cubes for each of them. They are great for keeping everything neat and organized, especially in places where dressers or closets aren’t readily available.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/packing-tips/best-packing-cubes-for-travel

Edited by Frances
  • Like 9

I fly with a 26" regularly- It's mostly clothes for two weeks at a time, I wear my heaviest shoes.  (a pair of slip on (makes going through security much easier)  I can also wear with a dress or pants to look 'nice'). I think I've been overweight with it once, and I could easily grab an item and stick it in my backpack to bring me back down underweight.  29" - forgetitsville. . . 

if they check a 26" bag - they can still bring a 21" carry-on that would go in the overhead compartment.  (I would do that for longer trips).  I always bring my backpack to go under my seat - I never put it in the overhead compartment.   (I sit in premium class with more legroom.) - the smaller suitcase usually with store inside the larger one.

My backpack has a strap to go over the extension handle securely so I don't have to "wear" it while pulling it through the airport if I need to.  (it's heavy). they still have 'straps' out there to string suitcases together.  If the smaller one is off the ground when it is being pulled (but on the ground when stationary) - it will be more manageable.

also consider the weight of the suitcase you're buying - some are light, and some aren't.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Then look at suitcases that fit international size requirements.

Carry on is so much less hassle. We just use backpacks from ebags, they come in lots of sizes. We tend to walk a lot when we travel and typically rely on public transportation so backpacks are much easier for us than roller suitcases. A lot of flights recently have been gate checking suitcases, but our backpacks can always go in the overhead bin. 

Seconding packing cubes, they are a game changer. For a short trip to the grandparents your kids won’t need to take much, but good luggage is a worthy investment. If you don’t travel much, do be aware the size requirements are constantly changing (smaller), so don’t automatically go with the biggest that fits todays requirements. Another bonus for backpacks is that they are soft and can be squished down to meet varying requirements if need be.

• Like 3

We used to do mediums.  Your kids look to be teens, and I'd go with a large, just to keep up with the size of clothes and add room for extras.  An easy way to figure it out would be to stack all changes of clothes you would expect them to take, even if you are stacking your own clothes for the exercise.  It'll help you see what size might be necessary.

I'd also maybe suggest a stocking stuffer of a handheld luggage scale.

• Like 2

when you're purchasing luggage, make sure measurements include any wheels and handles. Some companies have both marked, some don't. Also, personal size bag allowance vary greatly by airline, so make sure what they use as their personal item fits your airline. 

My son prefers using a backpack. He uses an Osprey Porter 30 as his main bag. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

When thinking about checking vs not checking - will they be able to manage if their luggage is lost for a day or two? Taking a direct flight can decrease the chances, but it doesn’t eliminate them because  Staffing, maintenance and flight delays can affect baggage handling. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

when you're purchasing luggage, make sure measurements include any wheels and handles. Some companies have both marked, some don't. Also, personal size bag allowance vary greatly by airline, so make sure what they use as their personal item fits your airline. 

My son prefers using a backpack. He uses an Osprey Porter 30 as his main bag. 

We do use a backpack as our personal item -- that fits under the chair ahead. Need to be able to access the contents during the flight itself.

• Like 1

For leisure trips (not ballet intensives) we only travel with either a carry on roller suitcase or backpack.  We have done this for years and for trips that were a month long.  We even slimmed down and only each get one side of the carry on suitcase.  The ones that were not in the ballet intensive this summer did this for 10 weeks this summer while we were on the road.  It is more than enough.  I didn't even wear a bunch of the clothes I packed.  We never again would do a carry on roller and a backpack.  No need to bring that much stuff.   It of course was so easy when the kids were tiny, but it works now that a few of my kids are adult sizes and it works for dh and I.

• Like 3

Another thing to consider in deciding upon size, if you plan for the entire family to be travelling, cosnider the transportation to and from the airport and if all of the bags for the family will fit in a taxi.

Whatever size you decide, I strong recommend Osprey bags.  They have some that are extremely lightweight and durable.  The ones with rollers roll better than any luggage I have ever owned.  The bagpack styles are more comfortable than any backpack I have ever owned.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Another thing to consider in deciding upon size, if you plan for the entire family to be travelling, cosnider the transportation to and from the airport and if all of the bags for the family will fit in a taxi.

Whatever size you decide, I strong recommend Osprey bags.  They have some that are extremely lightweight and durable.  The ones with rollers roll better than any luggage I have ever owned.  The bagpack styles are more comfortable than any backpack I have ever owned.

This is one of many reasons that we pack so light.  Renting a minivan and then trying to put in 7 suitcases and 7 backpacks, that would either not fit or be so uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

We love our TravelPro carryon suitcases.  They are pricey but light and very sturdy and wheelable.  If you want a lower price point we get Delsey suitcases (soft side) and they are also sturdy and wheelable but heavier than the TravelPro.  I agree with the others that if you are going to a place that you don't need fancy, fancy clothes and shoes and can do laundry a good size backpack is more than enough and if you need those dress clothes and shoes then a carryon is best.  Unless you are going for a very long time or are trying to fit 3-4 people's stuff in one bag to send under the plane.  We only use our big bags for year long overseas placements or when we are shlepping gifts to family and friends overseas.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

When thinking about checking vs not checking - will they be able to manage if their luggage is lost for a day or two? 

OP’s kids are going to their grandparents so if luggage is lost, grandparents can always take them to get some spare clothing and OP can file a lost baggage claim under travel insurance. We always check in our luggage when going back to my parents since it is easy to just buy new clothing (2 pairs of jeans, 2 T-shirts per person and a pack of socks) in the worse case scenario. We also have spare tops in our carryon laptop backpack to change into just in case of unexpected turbulence and food/drinks spillage. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Planning to check the luggage so they have as little to deal with on the flight as possible.

If you want less hassle then carry-on is the way to go. Checked luggage is more hassle, it's only good if you need the space. There isn't much to manage with a carry-on bag, get it to the plane and stow it away. A checked luggage is more hassle because if they are going to a busy airport they have to listen intently to the sometimes garbled flight speech at the end of the flight to figure out where to get their luggage, go to the luggage pick up carousel, wait, then fish their luggage from the piles that come out of the conveyor belt. It's kind of a toss up when your luggage comes out. In my elementary school days could take me two attempts to get my luggage from the conveyor belt (misjudging how heavy my luggage is), not including having to move other people's luggage to get mine.   

A smaller airport it might be on a side table in the airport building somewhere, totally easy to miss. If your plane is small they will load your luggage in with the checked baggage as you get on the plane, but that luggage will be unloaded first thing and be on the runway as you disembark the plane for you to pick up. 

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

We love our TravelPro carryon suitcases.  They are pricey but light and very sturdy and wheelable.  If you want a lower price point we get Delsey suitcases (soft side) and they are also sturdy and wheelable but heavier than the TravelPro. 

I've always used Delsey price point checked luggage. Over the years I see how beat up my luggage gets going through the checked luggage and I don't know if I can handle that happening to my luxe luggage. I go with good enough but I'm not going to cry if it gets slashed.

• Like 1

Most of the time when we travel, everybody has their own rolling carry on and a medium sized backpack. We wear the heaviest/bulkiest clothing items on the flight. We can get these onboard for free even with the discount airlines. When we need more space, we share a single large duffle like bag. Our bag has wheels. The empty bag weighs no more than than a couple of pounds. Sharing a large bag for check-in saves us more than $100 per flight (each way)   because most airlines charge per bag.

• Like 1

I do not always find having carry-on more convenient than a checked bag.  One of the biggest hassles of carry-on is going through security.  The less I take through security, the less I have to fumble with and pull out of my bag.  And, all airports are not the same about what they make you pull out of your bag.  I have been in security lines where we had to take out anything edible--not simply liquids--any peppermint or piece of gum at the bottom of your purse had to be taken out.  If I want to stop and have a cup of coffee while waiting for my flight, it is nice not to have to hassle with and watch my luggage.  If I am flying internationally, it is nice to get through immigration lines without having to deal with all my luggage.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I do not always find having carry-on more convenient than a checked bag.  One of the biggest hassles of carry-on is going through security.  The less I take through security, the less I have to fumble with and pull out of my bag.  And, all airports are not the same about what they make you pull out of your bag.  I have been in security lines where we had to take out anything edible--not simply liquids--any peppermint or piece of gum at the bottom of your purse had to be taken out.  If I want to stop and have a cup of coffee while waiting for my flight, it is nice not to have to hassle with and watch my luggage.  If I am flying internationally, it is nice to get through immigration lines without having to deal with all my luggage.  

That's true. And my son tends to be absent minded and leave things behind. I'd rather he have to "keep up" with as little as possible. Though, with his sister along, I expect that will not be as big a problem.

(They will be almost 16 and almost 12. But he has ADD so maturity wise is younger)

I recommend that each have a personal item and a carry-on size bag, and avoid a check back if possible. If the carry-on has wheels, it should be easy to transport through airports. With two people, that should be enough luggage space.

I think having a personal item in addition to a carry-on is important. I have been forced to gate-check my carry-on several times, and the bag was usually checked to my final destination to be picked up at baggage claim. I keep my computer, snacks, meds, some toiletries, etc. in my personal item.

I wouldn't worry about weight limits of a carry-on bag. If you are carrying-on the bag, there is no weight limit. If you end up gate-checking the bag, they don't weigh it. If you plan on checking it, it is small enough that it will probably be within the weight restrictions anyway.

I'm jealous that Arcadia's son didn't have a problem taking a full size bag on public transit. My younger DD and I found that getting even carry-on size bags through subway turnstiles and up/down subway stairs to be a pain. There is no way she could have done it by herself with multiple bags. We found it easier to fit two carry-on size bags in a city bus versus a single large suitcase that wouldn't fit in the seat next to us. My older DD also had a large suitcase when the bus she was on broke down in the middle of a freeway. She needed help maneuvering that large suitcase along the narrow inside shoulder of a busy freeway when they had to change buses.

I had to laugh about mommyoffive's comment excluding packing for a ballet summer intensive. For my DD, we managed to go carry-on-only for her first away ballet summer intensive. My things fit in my personal item. DD had her personal item plus both of our carry-on bags. No checked bags. She still had more than she needed. For her second away ballet summer intensive, she flew alone, so she had to check a bag. No way to do a ballet summer intensive with only a single carry-on. All those pointe shoes take up a lot of room, and no way I'm putting pointe shoes in a checked bag when traveling to the intensive.

34 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

The less I take through security, the less I have to fumble with and pull out of my bag.  And, all airports are not the same about what they make you pull out of your bag.  I have been in security lines where we had to take out anything edible--not simply liquids--any peppermint or piece of gum at the bottom of your purse had to be taken out.  If I want to stop and have a cup of coffee while waiting for my flight, it is nice not to have to hassle with and watch my luggage.  If I am flying internationally, it is nice to get through immigration lines without having to deal with all my luggage.  

I guess maybe at one point in my life I traveled too much. I don't have random stuff to fumble through in my luggage. It's pretty compartmentalized. A baggie of correctly sized toiletries. a stashed away pouch with wallet, immigration documents, landing information (transportation and hotel arrangements), etc. I usually use separate purse and bags for traveling than my normal use, so it doesn't have stray things and somethings remain packed for the next trip. I stopped carrying food, snacks and drinks to the airport after 9/11. 

If you are afraid of your son losing certain things. My parents have sewn important things into my clothes (for me it was cash and card). Then gave me a pouch that I was under no circumstances to take off for things that I need to bring out (like passport and documents and a small stash of cash). If he's really really absent minded and you are really concerned you can opt to fly him as an unaccompanied minor. Then they make things really easy and a designated adult (flight attendant) keeps track of all the important stuff. If things haven't changed they will bring the child directly to your designated adult at the destination airport (along with the pouch of important stuff). They accompany you through immigrations and baggage claim. I had less responsibility when I was an unaccompanied minor than when I traveled with my parents.

17 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

I'm jealous that Arcadia's son didn't have a problem taking a full size bag on public transit.

The Caltrain system is used to SFO travelers with luggage so it wasn't so bad. DS17 was about 5'7" in 6th grade.  BART trains, VTA light rail and buses are wheelchair friendly so even I can handle a full size bag. We have not tried Amtrak but I guess it would be similar to Caltrain.

Where I am from, we could take the light rail train or the bus direct from the airport to my parents' home. The buses that depart from the airport are used to dealing with passengers with luggage.

• Like 1

A lot of these responses seem geared toward people traveling to a destination, but these dc are traveling from Mom and Dad to grandparents. Checking a bag is not as big a deal when it is full of shorts and swimsuits and grandma and Walmart are waiting at the other end if there are any problems.

Added to that, depending on their age they may have an airline employee "chaperoning" who can help stow luggage and keep them together with their stuff through the airport.

If you are buying luggage, though, even if you check this time, I would buy on the assumption that you will be carrying it on in the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

A lot of these responses seem geared toward people traveling to a destination, but these dc are traveling from Mom and Dad to grandparents.

OP also mentioned a trip to Honduras next year and she was hoping whatever she buy for the trip to grandparents can also be used for future overseas trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

Added to that, depending on their age they may have an airline employee "chaperoning" who can help stow luggage and keep them together with their stuff through the airport.

I assumed she looked this up and they are of an age where it's optional vs. mandatory for the airline. I do believe for most airlines 11/12 is the limit for mandatory "chaparone" aka traveling as an unaccompanied minor. It's optional for kids between the ages of 11/12 - 18, although there may be a fee associated. 

If they do get the unaccompanied minors designation, whether to bring carry-on or checking your luggage I would actually go checked luggage. When I did it decades ago they separate out my luggage so I didn't have to go to the carousel (my checked luggage went into the office instead and my chaperone and I picked it up there). Also, when I did it I went through crew security and immigration, and I didn't have free reign to wander the airport so a lot less chance for me to forget my carry-on. 

• Like 1