Menu

“Users reading now” pop up message

MEmama

50 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

Agreed! It also shows users who are typing comments. 

I did go into my settings and to the security & privacy section, where I was able to choose "hide my online status." I assume that means I am not showing up on these lists, but I don't know for sure. @Helpdesk?

Thanks for saying this. I have now done this. Can you still see me?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

Agreed! It also shows users who are typing comments. 

I did go into my settings and to the security & privacy section, where I was able to choose "hide my online status." I assume that means I am not showing up on these lists, but I don't know for sure. @Helpdesk?

Are these settings for your device or specific to this forum? I can’t find a settings option on my account using my phone - maybe it’s only visible via computer screen? If by phone, please tell me how to find the settings feature. 

On the main chat page, this thread just shows “2 users here” with no name. On other threads, it still shows names. Just now, I could see the name of someone currently typing. I haven’t changed my setting. If someone can see me, let me know. Then I’ll go change it and wait to see if you can still me. 

Let me post this and see if it puts the screenshots in the right order...

Okay, yes, order looks correct. Sorry the images are huge! I circled what to tap at each step. After you click "Security and Privacy," it will prompt you to enter your password again, and then just choose the option to hide your online status.

Screenshot_20220830-121018~2.png

Screenshot_20220830-121028~2.png

Screenshot_20220830-121036~2.png

Screenshot_20220830-121048~2.png

Screenshot_20220830-121100~2.png

Edited by purpleowl
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

Okay, yes, order looks correct. Sorry the images are huge! I circled what to tap at each step. After you click "Security and Privacy," it will prompt you to enter your password again, and then just choose the option to hide your online status.

Thank you for this. 

I hope it worked!

This is a really creepy feature, yikes.

It's a new feature of the system that was delivered.  I just got word about some of the new features.  Apparently, many groups clamour for this feature, but as this community seems not to, I will see what can be done. It's as new to me as it is to you, so please be patient, and use the workaround.  Thanks. --Helpdesk

The tech support team changed the universal setting on our system so this issue should be resolved.  AND I'm glad that I had a reminder to look at my own privacy settings...I had them set up the way I wanted them in my civilian account, but forgot to take care of it on my admin account.  Thanks to PurpleOwl upthread for posting the screenshots that show how to get to the Privacy settings.  That saved me a bunch of work! 🙂

23 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

It's a new feature of the system that was delivered.  I just got word about some of the new features.  Apparently, many groups clamour for this feature, but as this community seems not to, I will see what can be done. It's as new to me as it is to you, so please be patient, and use the workaround.  Thanks. --Helpdesk

Thank you for looking into it.

Unfortunately if this feature stays, I for one will not be able to. I don’t expect anonymity but this is entirely unsettling. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

The tech support team changed the universal setting on our system so this issue should be resolved.  AND I'm glad that I had a reminder to look at my own privacy settings...I had them set up the way I wanted them in my civilian account, but forgot to take care of it on my admin account.  Thanks to PurpleOwl upthread for posting the screenshots that show how to get to the Privacy settings.  That saved me a bunch of work! 🙂

Still seeing it. It also tells who is typing a response, and lets you check who's active in what threads from the homepage. Weird.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, melmichigan said:

lets you check who's active in what threads from the homepage. Weird.

There’s for a long time been a version of this where you could look at an activity feed that showed who is doing what. Or if you clicked on someone’s username it would tell you what thread they were viewing. Which was always a little weird for me as well.

• Like 2

So, for now there is no system-wide switch to turn this off.  I posted instructions in the SITE NEWS forum to tell users how to change their privacy settings.  I have asked the system provider to find a way to make this a system-wide on/off switch but in the meantime, it's up to individual users to set their privacy to suit their wishes.  

@KSera is correct, upthread. There's always been a way to see who is doing what. The current update makes it more obvious.  The privacy setting will take care of that, too, at least on the individual name situation.

One of the annoyances of modern life, I guess...but a reminder (at least to me) to check my privacy settings on all my social media.  Thanks for the heads-up, everyone.  I'll leave this thread unlocked in case it helps anyone to complain, but unless there's a new issue, I'll not be following along. 

6 hours ago, purpleowl said:

THANK YOU

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Shrug. I changed my settings (thanks so much for posting, @purpleowl) but it doesn't bother me. I've been on many other message boards, and helped moderate one, that had the feature and nobody ever voiced any objections.

Right? I am rather gobsmacked that everyone seems so upset by it.  I rather like it.  

10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Right? I am rather gobsmacked that everyone seems so upset by it.  I rather like it.  

I don’t know that I am upset per se. I mean, obviously people can figure out that I am on the forums and posting from the actual time stamps on my posts. And saying  that XYZ person is on the forum or even reading a specific post  can be deceptive because I keep this forum open on a tab all the time so it can look like I am “there” when I am not. I found it more distracting than anything when I first saw it. And like I said, I had a person try to stalk me based on my posts on this forum so I just feel more comfortable changing my settings. Though trolls can always troll….

• Like 2

My issue is mainly that I find it really distracting, with the names/number of users updating all the time. I also have a tendency to type out lengthy responses and then talk myself out of posting them. I don't like the idea of people watching me type and then wondering why my comment never materialized. 😄 

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

My issue is mainly that I find it really distracting, with the names/number of users updating all the time. I also have a tendency to type out lengthy responses and then talk myself out of posting them. I don't like the idea of people watching me type and then wondering why my comment never materialized. 😄 

I do that all the time too! Whew, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I do that all the time too! Whew, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

Lol I on the other hand just post. I rarely consider the out come 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

In the past, people could see what you were doing, but it wasn’t as obvious. I had a stalker here though that made it very obvious to me. I had my settings marked as “hidden “ iin the past but obviously this new feature overrode that setting but I am glad that I can reset it. 

Well darn, I have been hidden for years. Bummed that this new feature undid this and that I have to go hide myself again. Thanks to the pp that poster the tutorial.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, purpleowl said:

This is me! I type and delete responses more often than I actually post anything. In fact I just it this morning and wondered what people might be thinking once I decided just to delete the whole thing. 

3 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

This is me! I type and delete responses more often than I actually post anything. In fact I just it this morning and wondered what people might be thinking once I decided just to delete the whole thing. 

I've already gotten to the point where I don't even think about the names.  The most I think about them is late at night when I think "oh, I didn't know that other people are up too!"  But I am certainly not noting who's typing on a thread and then looking for their post.  The novelty has worn off! 

• Like 2