Menu

I was last-week-years-old before I learned

Ann.without.an.e

DH can get the garden hose to roll so perfectly because he drains the water first. For a bazillion years I’ve fought this process and it never occurred to me that the fact that I was trying to roll it and then drain the water was the difference. I thought he simply had a special touch and if I kept trying then I’d “get it” one day 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve spent way too many hours of my life frustrated by a garden hose and this is embarrassing.

Don’t leave me alone and embarrassed here …. What did it take you way too long to figure out or understand??

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

• Ann.without.an.e changed the title to I was last-week-years-old before I learned
1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

DH can get the garden hose to roll so perfectly because he drains the water first. For a bazillion years I’ve fought this process and it never occurred to me that the fact that I was trying to roll it and then drain the water was the difference. I thought he simply had a special touch and if I kept trying then I’d “get it” one day 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve spent way too many hours of my life frustrated by a garden hose and this is embarrassing.

Don’t leave me alone and embarrassed here …. What did it take you way too long to figure out or understand??

Girl I can’t think of any right now but I am the queen of clueless stuff like that. 

• Like 2

I was nearly 30 when I realized that soy sauce contains soybeans.

And, a bit more embarrassing but I was younger - when I was a child, I thought the correct way to eat ice cream cones was from the bottom up. I was a messy eater regardless, but that did NOT help!

• Haha 6

I’ve been living in a rural area for almost 20 years now, but grew up in a more suburban area. I didn’t know until last year that people in the country don’t have ponds in their yards simply because they enjoy convenient fishing, but it is a water source in case there is a fire. 

I took my son to a camp for fire safety last year and the fire men explained that there wasn’t a single fire hydrant in their entire town, and they were thankful for the old-timers on the team who knew where all the ponds were so they could put out the fires.

• Like 9

I did not know there were companies until I got to college.

I knew there were factories, but no idea there were companies that managed them and owned them, or companies that did services. Just the whole idea of companies as an organizing feature of our world was unknown to me. My father was a doctor who worked for the VA not a company, and they invested in houses not in companies in the stock market. So we just never discussed companies, and it was never brought up in any traditional class I took in school. Big big fail in my education. 🙂

• Like 4

I also did not know that half and half milk was half milk and half cream.  Based on my childhood, I thought it was half store-bought milk and half powered milk.  Had a BIG argument about this in my freshman year in college!  clearly I lost. 🙂

• Haha 5

That I didn't have to use the rack in my pressure cooker if I'm making roast or stew. 

Also I found out that the proper way to use ice cream scoop is to scrap the ice cream into a ball with the ice cream scoop before scooping it out of the container into a bowl. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m still mad that I just learned about baking pancakes on a sheet pan. “Pan” and “cake” are right in the name and had someone mentioned it my kids would have had more pancakes in their childhoods. Whoever told me about the bacon could have mentioned this. 

Okay, I didn't know this!

6 hours ago, Mona said:

I’ve been living in a rural area for almost 20 years now, but grew up in a more suburban area. I didn’t know until last year that people in the country don’t have ponds in their yards simply because they enjoy convenient fishing, but it is a water source in case there is a fire. 

I took my son to a camp for fire safety last year and the fire men explained that there wasn’t a single fire hydrant in their entire town, and they were thankful for the old-timers on the team who knew where all the ponds were so they could put out the fires.

Yep, or pools! We had friends who lived really, really rurally, and they said a pool reduced their homeowner's insurance for this reason.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Until this year I did not know that you can cook bacon in the oven and it comes out pretty good.

Similarly, until about 5-6 years ago I did not know that you can cook meatballs (kind of roast them) in the oven and they turn out fantastic.

I’ve always cooked meatballs in the oven. Didn’t know there was a different way that is standard 😂

I was 50 before I learned that if you use a much bigger bowl than needed, it's so much simpler to mix things like salad, meatballs, and such.  For years I used smaller bowls and had to work twice as slowly just to keep everything in the bowl.  So dumb!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I was 50 before I learned that if you use a much bigger bowl than needed, it's so much simpler to mix things like salad, meatballs, and such.  For years I used smaller bowls and had to work twice as slowly just to keep everything in the bowl.  So dumb!

You know it’s funny I’ve been learning this lately too. Also with pots. I’ve been using my largest pot only 1/3 full for pasta or potatoes and no more messy boiling over 😊

• Like 2

I had never lived in a house that had a separate utility room with a sink until we moved in here two years ago. I had no idea how useful the second sink would be. Last night, I was using it to cool a pot of boiled milk so I  could stir a yoghurt starter in, while Husband was cooking supper and using the kitchen sink.

When we renovate the kitchen, we are going to put in a third miniature sink with a boiling tap to make a  coffee/tea area. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Until this year I did not know that you can cook bacon in the oven and it comes out pretty good.

Similarly, until about 5-6 years ago I did not know that you can cook meatballs (kind of roast them) in the oven and they turn out fantastic.

Bacon in the oven is excellent! I did not learn this until about 10 years ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J-rap said:

I actually use big bowls to mix and then small ones to serve.   I carefully chose my big bowls to still fit in the dishwasher, because I hate handwashing, LOL, but this way everything looks a lot nicer and fits a lot better on the table.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

You know it’s funny I’ve been learning this lately too. Also with pots. I’ve been using my largest pot only 1/3 full for pasta or potatoes and no more messy boiling over 😊

I learned something new today! I like using larger bowls, but never considered using a larger pan. Thank you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

This is one of the reasons I love my All Clad essential pans so much.  They are shaped like big frying pans but enough deeper than I never get grease spattering onto the stove.

• Like 1

I did not learn until like last week that you can’t clean natural stone with vinegar. I nearly ruined, certainly dulled my countertops. They’ve been around for over 20 years until I and my vinegar rolled in. 
ps baking soda fixes somewhat. Certainly the spots where I decided to squeeze citrus (I make my own OJ etc)

every week there’s something like this. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I did not learn until like last week that you can’t clean natural stone with vinegar. I nearly ruined, certainly dulled my countertops. They’ve been around for over 20 years until I and my vinegar rolled in. 
ps baking soda fixes somewhat. Certainly the spots where I decided to squeeze citrus (I make my own OJ etc)

every week there’s something like this. 

Wow, I had no idea about this either. Glad it didn't totally ruin them.

1 minute ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Wow, I had no idea about this either. Glad it didn't totally ruin them.

I think granite or quartz maybe is okay? But certainly mine, called “tumbled marble” but I don’t think it’s marble at all, got white spots everywhere the acidic stuff dropped 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kassia said:

What do you mean by this?  

I am 36 and I've had diarrhea twice and only thrown up when pregnant. I thought this meant I had a tough stomach, but it's actually a condition. My body doesn't recognize a lot of bacteria and therefore doesn't fight it properly. This has lead to organ damage and a shortened lifespan. I was diagnosed with Unspecified B-Cell Immunodeficiency. I think. I got a lot of diagnoses that year.

• Sad 6

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

Pineapple is not supposed to burn your mouth. I'm allergic to it. Still eat it though. Because yum.

That never experiencing stomach symptoms means something is wrong with me.

Wait what?? It isn't supposed to make your mouth feel tingly, burning and make you not be able to taste anything else for hours? I thought that was just normal? lol

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am 36 and I've had diarrhea twice and only thrown up when pregnant. I thought this meant I had a tough stomach, but it's actually a condition. My body doesn't recognize a lot of bacteria and therefore doesn't fight it properly. This has lead to organ damage and a shortened lifespan. I was diagnosed with Unspecified B-Cell Immunodeficiency. I think. I got a lot of diagnoses that year.

Oh, I'm sorry about your condition.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Yikes. My son has only vomited, ever, when he had a migraine or is recovering from surgery. He has had some diarrhea, but not a lot. 

My other son had quite a bit of both when he was little but not since. 

• Like 1