Menu

It's official... we're no longer homeschooling. I'm having all the feelings...

Noreen Claire

17 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Congrats! Will your kids be in the same building as you?

Yes!

Honestly, this was up there in the list of reasons to take this job - all four boys will be going into the same building together -- two in the lower school, two in the upper school -- and they will be there to support each other. (DS13 will be in the high school next year, so this is the only year that this would happen!) We will all go in together in the morning, and all leave together in the afternoon, so no worrying about bus schedules or parent drop-off/pick-up.

• Like 15

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds like a good opportunity for you. So many of us here have been through all the emotions you are describing, and we can assure you that things will sort out, your family will adjust.

Best of luck to all of you on your new adventures!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

Yes!

Honestly, this was up there in the list of reasons to take this job - all four boys will be going into the same building together -- two in the lower school, two in the upper school -- and they will be there to support each other. (DS13 will be in the high school next year, so this is the only year that this would happen!) We will all go in together in the morning, and all leave together in the afternoon, so no worrying about bus schedules or parent drop-off/pick-up.

This is great! I actually get to be in the same building with my DD this year. She will be a first-year teacher at the school where I do most of my subbing. I wondered if she would mind my being around, but she thinks it will be fun! I think so, too, of course 🙂

• Like 3

Congrats!

I had all of those feels too. Education is certainly not perfect these days but I still love teaching & the students. (And new school supplies, tbh)

Being back in a school has been an overall good experience, and the paycheck, retirement, & health care are pretty darn good.

It’s so much easier now that my little ones are in my building! Enjoy. 
My daughter is going to be IN my class this year 🙂

Have a great year- and remember, the first year is tough. Next year will be much easier for everyone!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 5

Congratulations! It sounds like the set up will be ideal for you and your kids this year.  It’s great you have a therapist in your support system too.  When we transitioned from me homeschooling ft into ft work for a company, there were stages of grief.  Any grief isn’t linear, and if this pops up for you you’ve got a therapist in the squad.  I hope the school year gets off to a fantastic start for you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Congrats!

I had all off those feels too. Education is certainly not perfect these days but I still love teaching & the students. (And new school supplies, tbh)

Being back in a school has been an overall good experience, and the paycheck, retirement, & health care are pretty darn good.

It’s so much easier now that my little ones are in my building! Enjoy. 
My daughter is going to be IN my class this year 🙂

Have a great year- and remember, the first year is tough. Next year will be much easier for everyone!

This could be a challenge! Is there only one section of each grade or did you choose this?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

This could be a challenge! Is there only one section of each grade or did you choose this?

I’m the only integrated co teaching special Ed classroom at my grade and she has an IEP so she has to be in my room. She needs the support. But we have 3 adults and a very needy group this year so we will be teaching ELA & Math in small groups and she won’t be in my group. 
It’s pretty common in our rural area & encouraged at our district. My principal even taught her own kids back when she was still teaching.

I could’ve switched grade levels (I’m the special Ed teacher in the team) but I would never get my position back and I love 4th grade and my team!

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

I hope you have a fabulous year. There will be challenges for sure but I hope there are many blessings for all too. I'm very happy that I was able to get my dream teaching job last year. Even if I complain about the workload, I'm doing what I love to do and getting paid well for it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’m the only integrated co teaching special Ed classroom at my grade and she has an IEP so she has to be in my room. She needs the support. But we have 3 adults and a very needy group this year so we will be teaching ELA & Math in small groups and she won’t be in my group. 
It’s pretty common in our rural area & encouraged at our district. My principal even taught her own kids back when she was still teaching.

I could’ve switched grade levels (I’m the special Ed teacher in the team) but I would never get my position back and I love 4th grade and my team!

Sounds like it will be a great situation! Nice that you have multiple adults and multiple small groups.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Quoting myself to clarify. Obviously, lots of us on this forum teach or have taught our own children. The possible challenge I mentioned lies in teaching an entire class, one of whom is your own child.

• Like 2

Glad you had a good run of homeschooling. Good luck on your new adventure!

I just finished my run of homeschooling a year ago after 15 or so years. My youngest was in grade 10, and he was definitely ready to take on the challenge of high school, while I started full-time work. He did great and I'm really enjoying my job. The added income really reduces the financial stress and pressure on my dh. I loved my years homeschooling and am very happy that I was able to spend all that time teaching and learning with my gang of 4.

• Like 2