Menu

6 dead, 24 wounded in 4th of July parade shooting

Corraleno

https://www.foxla.com/news/highland-park-fourth-of-july-parade-shooting

At least six people died and 24 were wounded in a mass shooting at a July Fourth parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, Illinois, and officers are searching for a suspect who likely fired on the festivities from a rooftop, police said Monday.

Highland Park Police Commander Chris O’Neill, the incident commander on scene, urged people to shelter in place as authorities search for the suspect, described as a white male wearing a white or blue T-shirt.

Lake County Major Crime Task Force spokesman Christopher Covelli said at a news conference that the gunman apparently opened fire on parade-goers from a rooftop using a rifle that was recovered at the scene. He didn’t know which building.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Sad 21

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/4/23194354/highland-park-fourth-july-parade-gunfire

Adrienne Drell, a former Sun-Times reporter, said she was sitting on a curb along Central Avenue watching the parade when she saw members of the Highland Park High School marching band start to run. “Go to Sunset,” Drell said she heard the students shout, directing people to nearby Sunset Foods. A man picked her up off the curb and urged her to get out, Drell said. “There’s panic in the whole town,” she said. “Everyone is just stunned beyond belief.” She ran across to a nearby parking lot with other people who had been watching the parade. “It was a quiet, peaceful, lovely morning, people were enjoying the parade,” Drell said. “Within seconds, to have that peacefulness suddenly ripped apart, it’s scary. You can’t go anywhere, you can’t find peace. I think we are falling apart.”

Eric Trotter, 37, who lives blocks from the shooting, echoed that sentiment. “I felt shocked,” Trotter said. “How could this happen in a peaceful community like Highland Park.”

As police cars sped by on Central Avenue, sirens blaring, Alexander Sandoval, 39, sat on a bench and cried. ... “We saw the Navy’s marchers and float pass by, and, when I first heard the gunshots, I thought it was them saluting the flag and shooting blanks,” Sandoval said. “But then I saw people starting to run, and the shots kept going. We started running.” He said that, in the chaos, he and his partner Amairani Garcia ran in different directions, he with his 5-year-old son Alex, she with her 6-year-old daughter Melani. “I grabbed my son and tried to break into one of the local buildings, but I couldn’t,” Sandoval said. “The shooting stopped. I guess he was reloading. So I kept running and ran into an alley and put my son in a garbage dumpster so he could be safe.”

Then, he said he ran in search of the rest of his family and saw bodies in pools of blood on the ground. “I saw a little boy who was shot being carried away,” Sandoval said. “It was just terror. He found his partner and stepdaughter, safe, inside a McDonald’s nearby. “This doesn’t happen here,” he said. “It shouldn’t happen anywhere.”

Don Johnson, 76. who lives about two blocks from the shooting scene, thought at first the gunfire was a car backfiring. He said he ran with several other people to a nearby BP gas station and described the scene as “surreal.” “It’s just a terrible thing,” he said. “I never wouldn’t thought this would’ve happened in downtown Highland Park.” Johnson said his daughter lives in Chicago with her son and that he’s been urging them to move to Highland Park, telling her recently, “It’s safe.” Now, he said, it’s clear that “it can happen anywhere.”

Gov. J.B. Pritzker called on “all Illinoisans to pray for the families who have been devastated by the evil unleashed this morning in Highland Park, for those who have lost loved ones and for those who have been injured. “There are no words for the kind of monster who lies in wait and fires into a crowd of families with children celebrating a holiday with their community. There are no words for the kind the kind of evil that robs our neighbors of their hopes, their dreams, their futures. “We must — and we will — end this plague of gun violence.”

• Sad 10

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Earlier today I was looking at my "memories" on Facebook of us at the 4th of July parade we normally go to. We didn't go this year. and after reading that article, I may never go to another one..ugh. 

Feeling this, too. I don’t know why some people think this is “freedom” 😔

• Like 9

DS is in DC today and I can’t say I’m not nervous. He reports the city is weirdly quiet (and the protests going on are stunningly small), and somehow that’s making me feel even more uneasy. In normal times I wouldn’t think twice, but this year…ugh. Ofc we are no safer tucked away in our little corner than anywhere else; we’ve opted to not attend a protest tonight as well.

Idk how anyone is celebrating today. 

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Earlier today I was looking at my "memories" on Facebook of us at the 4th of July parade we normally go to. We didn't go this year. and after reading that article, I may never go to another one..ugh. 

This is at least the second attack in 12 months on a parade.   (Wisconsin attack was on Nov 21 and also killed 6 and and that  one injured 62 others).  Truly awful 

And the attack yesterday in a  Copenhagen mall was done by a man known to mental health ptofessionals.

The quote in the Chicago Sun Times about the man hiding his son just haunts me. Imagine being a 5 yr old boy, happily watching the parade, when suddenly all hell breaks loose, people around you, including children, are covered in blood, and your dad runs into an alley with you and hides you in the only safe place he can find — a dumpster — while he frantically searches for your stepmom and sister. Imagine that terrified child sitting alone in the bottom of a dumpster surrounded by garbage with no comprehension of what's happening and no way of knowing if his dad will come back for him or if his stepmom and sister are injured or even dead. 

And yet millions of Americans can apparently just shrug it off, because  they consider dead, orphaned, and traumatized children to be acceptable collateral damage for their "right" to own assault weapons. It's just completely unfathomable to me.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 14

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The quote in the Chicago Sun Times about the man hiding his son just haunts me. Imagine being a 5 yr old boy, happily watching the parade, when suddenly all hell breaks loose, people around you, including children, are covered in blood, and your dad runs into an alley with you and hides you in the only safe place he can find — a dumpster — while he frantically searches for your stepmom and sister. Imagine that terrified child sitting alone in the bottom of a dumpster surrounded by garbage with no comprehension of what's happening and no way of knowing if his dad will come back for him or if his stepmom and sister are injured or even dead. 

And yet millions of Americans can apparently just shrug it off, because  they consider dead, orphaned, and traumatized children to be acceptable collateral damage for their "right" to own assault weapons. It's just completely unfathomable to me.

You do realize that criminals do not obey laws.  And the Wisconsin guy used a SUV and killed the same amount of people but injured double the amount?

We do no5 have enough information right now to know much of anything - including  what  specific gun it was and whether shooter got it legally.  

They are ĺooking for an 18-20 year old and a bipartisan bill was just passed to make it more difficult for those in that age to buy a gun - enhanced background checks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

You do realize that criminals do not obey laws.  And the Wisconsin guy used a SUV and killed the same amount of people but injured double the amount?

Look up the numbers for how many people were killed last year by people purposely plowing their cars into crowds versus being shot with a gun. Are you really going to try to make an argument that there’s anything remotely comparable? There is no way to stop all crimes or all accidental or homicidal or suicidal deaths. But we know that guns cause an incomparably huge number of them, and regulating them better would surely have a significant impact.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

The argument that there's no point in making laws about gun control because some people will break them is a bullshit excuse that somehow never applies to other issues. Why have laws against manufacturing meth if people are still going to manufacture it? Why have laws against pedophilia and child p*rn when it's obvious there will always be people who break those laws? Why bother outlawing homicide at all, since murderers are gonna murder anyway?

Pointing out the occasional mass killing where someone used something other than a gun only proves the point that those incidents are so much rarer than mass shootings. You can't kill people from a rooftop or hotel room with a car or a knife. You can't kill children in a classroom or shoppers in WalMart with a car, and even with a knife you can only stab one person at a time and it's easier to disarm someone with a knife versus someone with an assault rifle. People who are stabbed have a better chance of survival than someone whose body has been shredded by bullets from a high powered assault rifle.

Edited by Corraleno
typos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 26

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Pointing out the occasional mass killing where someone used something other than gun only proves point that those incidents are so much rarer than mass shootings.

Pointing out the Wisconsin car-into-crowd incident has been all the rage today among people unwilling to make any actual concessions to make the rest of us (and our children) safer and more free. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

I go to Highland Park once a week. It’s considered a safe suburb north of Chicago. Ugh. Makes me sick.

I am personally going to get very involved in the effort to do what is necessary. Can’t stand the apathy and excuses and the ridiculous, nonsensical excuses used to continue the trajectories of violence.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

It seems they did not catch him.  Do they have any idea who he is or what he looks like?

Believed to be be white male, between 18-20. (Shocker.) 

Eta: police have released picture. White male, 22yo. Distinctive enough looks it should be somewhat hard for him to stay hidden for long. 

Edited by KSera
  • Thanks 2

Police are looking for Bobby Crimo, III. He’s 22 or 23. Family is from Highland Park and Highwood, just north of HP.

He’s driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit. Interestingly, I dropped my son off at his apartment in a northern Chicago neighborhood around 3 pm and while driving north to my home, noticed an older silver Fit driving erratically right behind me. It wasn’t slight left and right moves but all the way into oncoming lanes and bike lanes. I pulled over to let him go by and then he was between me and a bus. He continued driving this way for about four blocks and my husband and I could see him throwing his hands in the air numerous times. The bus actually pulled to the right to let him pass. This was just south of Evanston which is a few suburbs south of Highland Park. I’m going to let the police know because they should be able to check street cameras, I’d think. Didn't catch the license plate number.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 12

2 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Police are looking for Bobby Crimo, III. He’s 22 or 23. Family is from Highland Park and Highwood, just north of HP.

He’s driving a 2010 silver Honda Fit. Interestingly, I dropped my son off at his apartment in a northern Chicago neighborhood around 3 pm and while driving north to my home, noticed an older silver Fit driving erratically right behind me. It wasn’t slight left and right moves but all the way into oncoming lanes and bike lanes. I pulled over to let him go by and then he was between me and a bus. He continued driving this way for about four blocks and my husband and I could see him throwing his hands in the air numerous times. The bus actually pulled to the right to let him pass. This was just south of Evanston which is a few suburbs south of Highland Park. I’m going to let the police know because they should be able to check street cameras, I’d think. Didn't catch the license plate number.

Idk what kind of emoji to give this, but whoa! How scary.

Glad you’ll inform the police.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Wow, that’s really something. I liked your post because I’m glad you’re ok.

Glad you are calling the police.

• Like 6

This kid was posting creepy YouTube videos a year ago showing him in military gear, with crude drawings of shooting people, and a voice over saying he was going to do "what he was sent here to do" and no one could stop him. One of his last posts on FB (now offline) was "You're all sinners." His father's FB and twitter are still up (though I assume not for long since they are getting slammed). The father ran for mayor of Highland Park in 2019 and tweeted about defending the 2nd amendment "as if your life depended on it." Wonder how he feels about access to assault weapons now that his son is a mass murderer?

Edited by Corraleno
  • Sad 16

39 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Bet he'll get a hamburger and fries. Not a hail of bullets. 😡

True, but I’m glad he was taken alive. I think that’s better than suicide by cop and being elevated as a martyr by other similar people. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BeachGal said:

I go to Highland Park once a week. It’s considered a safe suburb north of Chicago. Ugh. Makes me sick.

I am personally going to get very involved in the effort to do what is necessary. Can’t stand the apathy and excuses and the ridiculous, nonsensical excuses used to continue the trajectories 

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The argument that there's no point in making laws about gun control because some people will break them is a bullshit excuse that somehow never applies to other issues. Why have laws against manufacturing meth if people are still going to manufacture it? Why have laws against pedophilia and child p*rn when it's obvious there will always be people who break those laws? Why bother outlawing homicide at all, since murderers are gonna murder anyway?

Pointing out the occasional mass killing where someone used something other than a gun only proves the point that those incidents are so much rarer than mass shootings. You can't kill people from a rooftop or hotel room with a car or a knife. You can't kill children in a classroom or shoppers in WalMart with a car, and even with a knife you can only stab one person at a time and it's easier to disarm someone with a knife versus someone with an assault rifle. People who are stabbed have a better chance of survival than someone whose body has been shredded by bullets from a high powered assault rifle.

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I’m done with parades.  I know I often think about being in an active shooter situation when I leave home anymore. The weather tec factory in IL had one not too long ago, too. 

6 hours ago, KSera said:

Look up the numbers for how many people were killed last year by people purposely plowing their cars into crowds versus being shot with a gun. Are you really going to try to make an argument that there’s anything remotely comparable? There is no way to stop all crimes or all accidental or homicidal or suicidal deaths. But we know that guns cause an incomparably huge number of them, and regulating them better would surely have a significant impact.

Idon't need to.  I know crime stats. I am specifically comparing 2 recent parade massacres-   not saying that intentional murders by cars or trucks are more numerous than murders caused by guns.

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

We just passed a federal law and states can pass more laws that are lawful, not arbitrary.

19 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

That is a satire page just like Babylon Bee.  I have been reading news and listening to some of  the police, fire, ,,,, press briefings.

The satire is the point — the front page consists of the multiple stories of recent mass shootings, all with the same headline:

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 9.13.07 PM.png

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

A seventh victim has just died. 😢

Was it the child? I’ve not heard details. 

I saw there was also a shooter in Philadelphia and another in Gary IN. 

How how how do Americans think this is acceptable? Unchangeable? It’s insane. 

Apparently Crimo had previously staked out a synagogue which is 2 blocks from yesterday's shooting site. Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz said "During the last Passover holiday, that person entered the Chabad synagogue. We have an armed security guard sitting in front… I approached him and sternly asked him to leave as I noticed he was not a member of our community.”  Source

The obscure symbol that Crimo plastered all over his videos and other media is associated with an anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, white nationalist group in Finland. There are also suggestions that he subscribed to QAnon beliefs like the "Great Awakening" and the coming "Storm" — he called himself Awake the Rapper, had Awake tattooed on his face, his lyrics talk about awakening, and he has a song called "I Am the Storm." Conspiracy theories about the Kennedy assignation that have been absorbed into Q-nuttery may explain the newspaper clipping about Oswald. There is video and photos of him at rallies for a certain politician and a photo of him wearing a political banner as a cape.

His uncle, who lived in the main house with the father, said Crimo lived alone in a small apartment behind the house, was unemployed, and basically spent all his time on the computer. He also said he never saw any signs of danger, which I guess means he either never saw any of his nephew's social media, or he saw it and didn't think that videos about killing people and fulfilling his "destiny" were red flags.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

32 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Apparently Crimo had previously staked out a synagogue which is 2 blocks from yesterday's shooting site. Rabbi Yosef Schanowitz said "During the last Passover holiday, that person entered the Chabad synagogue. We have an armed security guard sitting in front… I approached him and sternly asked him to leave as I noticed he was not a member of our community.”  Source

The obscure symbol that Crimo plastered all over his videos and other media is associated with an anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, white nationalist group in Finland. There are also suggestions that he subscribed to QAnon beliefs like the "Great Awakening" and the coming "Storm" — he called himself Awake the Rapper, had Awake tattooed on his face, his lyrics talk about awakening, and he has a song called "I Am the Storm." Conspiracy theories about the Kennedy assignation that have been absorbed into Q-nuttery may explain the newspaper clipping about Oswald. There is video and photos of him at rallies for a certain politician and a photo of him wearing a political banner as a cape.

His uncle, who lived in the main house with the father, said Crimo lived alone in a small apartment behind the house, was unemployed, and basically spent all his time on the computer. He also said he never saw any signs of danger, which I guess means he either never saw any of his nephew's social media, or he saw it and didn't think that videos about killing people and fulfilling his "destiny" were red flags.

I just read this about the synagogue.  The Skokie area (not too far away) has always been a target for nazis because of its Jewish population.  They made a movie about it, I believe in the 80s.  At least one he killed was Jewish.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Was it the child? I’ve not heard details. 

I saw there was also a shooter in Philadelphia and another in Gary IN. 

How how how do Americans think this is acceptable? Unchangeable? It’s insane. 

These are mostly preventable.  I didn't even have to see or read anything to know what kind of person did this. Same profile, even posted psychotic content and pictures of himself with a gun online well before this happened.  We're enthralled in our "rights" talk in this country, from guns to freedom of speech to post the disgusting content he made for the Internet.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

No signs = denial     

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

No signs = denial     

News is saying the family called police on him in 2019 for threatening to “kill everyone”. Police removed knives/swords and referred it to state police who I guess did nothing since he was able to legally get the gun. 

Edited by Joker2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

News is saying the family called police on him in 2019 for threatening to “kill everyone”. Police removed knives/swords and referred it to state police who I guess did nothing since he was able to legally get the gun. 

Wow, I haven't seen that yet.  Unbelievable he was able to get a gun!  They still put him up in a home behind their own.  I don't think they knew what to do with their son. Maybe they had guilt.  Again, preventable in my eyes...if we wanted it to be! People are going to have to give up some of their rights and compromise.  I know more people are shot in Chicago randomly, but you know, you try to avoid "dangerous" areas.  Now everywhere is dangerous.  

21 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

TravelingChris, I strongly suggest you go and re-read every single article on The Onion's homepage: https://www.theonion.com

The headlines tell the story.  There are ways to prevent at least some of these attacks.   The new federal law addresses some of the problems.  Other ways is for all the social media to get stronger AI.  Because all they seem interested in banning is more conservative voices instead of hunting down killers in the making or Taliban, ISIS.  etc terrorists.  We also need prosecutors to give stiff sentences for things like illegal possession of a gun, obvious escalation of crimes, etc.

And we need the public to say something if you see something.  Why did people in Texas stop a mass shooting even though they have no red flag law but in Illinois, where they have such a law, no one said anything?  We don't have many answers yet about the Highland Park killer but the failure of the red flag law should be explored.

• Like 3