Menu

Shooting at a Texas elementary school

Terabith

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

Colorado passed Red Flag laws and every single gun support group was against them.  They tried to pass safe storage laws, where people could be held accountable if they did not store their guns safely and something happened.  My County Sheriff was vehemently against it and everyone was so happy to that OUR SHERIFF was standing up for guns!  I asked about why on a public forum (big mistake).  Of course, dear God, seconds could make a difference, and the difference seconds COULD make was clearly MORE IMPORTANT than what IS HAPPENING when guns get into kids or others hands.

Nearly 55% of all gun deaths in the US are suicides. Another 15-20% are domestic violence homicides. So 70-75% of all gun deaths in the US are people shooting themselves, or their family members (usually wives/partners). I don't know what % of gun deaths are gang related, but I'm guessing it's a sizable portion of the remaining 25-30% of annual gun deaths. As for the much-feared burglaries/home invasions, nearly 2/3 of all burglars are well-acquainted with their victim(s).

The point? Americans are completely off their rockers (literally) in their perceptions of what constitutes a real risk to their lives.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 18

I'm speculating here, but does the possibility that this seems like it could be racially motivated seem plausible to anyone else?

Data points such as the physical location of the town (near the Mexico border), the names of the teachers (in a photo on the CBC news story), and some of the photos showing people who appear to be Hispanic (and some who do not)... I'm thinking it's at least a possibility.

I think we have at least as big of a problem with murderous racism (N. America overall) as you (USA Americans) do with firearm accessibility.

Just now, bolt. said:

I'm speculating here, but does the possibility that this seems like it could be racially motivated seem plausible to anyone else?

Data points such as the physical location of the town (near the Mexico border), the names of the teachers (in a photo on the CBC news story), and some of the photos showing people who appear to be Hispanic (and some who do not)... I'm thinking it's at least a possibility.

I think we have at least as big of a problem with murderous racism (N. America overall) as you (USA Americans) do with firearm accessibility.

It’s been reported the shooter was from there and went to the high school.

Just now, Happy2BaMom said:

Nearly 55% of all gun deaths in the US are suicides. Another 15-20% are domestic violence homicides. So 70-75% of all gun deaths in the US are people shooting themselves, or their family members (usually wives/partners). I don't know what % of gun deaths are gang related, but I'm guessing it's a sizable portion of the remaining 25-30% of annual gun deaths. As for burglaries/home invasions, nearly 2/3 of all burglars are well-acquainted with their victim(s).

The point? Americans are completely off their rockers (literally) in their perceptions of what constitutes a real risk to their lives.

There have already been at least 30 school shootings this year (2022) according to CNN: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/texas-elementary-school-shooting-05-24-22/index.html.

Yes, there is an overwhelming number of gun deaths due to suicide, domestic violence, etc. and the relative proportion of deaths due to random people is small. But I refuse to live in a world where we accept 30 school shootings so far this year as a tolerable amount.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I thought that initially too, but the name of the shooter is also Hispanic.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There have already been at least 30 school shootings this year (2022) according to CNN: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/texas-elementary-school-shooting-05-24-22/index.html.

Yes, there is an overwhelming number of gun deaths due to suicide, domestic violence, etc. and the relative proportion of deaths due to random people is small. But I refuse to live in a world where we accept 30 school shootings so far this year as a tolerable amount.

I think we share the same basic concern/thoughts.

My point (referring to your previous post) was that Americans get twisted all out of shape over possibly having to store their guns, because "seconds matter" (usually referring to someone breaking into their home)....when the reality is that that so rarely happens that the fear of "seconds matter" is ridiculous. It's especially ridiculous given the astronomically larger risk of someone in their household using that same gun to kill themselves, another family member, etc. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

16 minutes ago, bolt. said:

No, at least 80 percent of the people in the Uvalde area are Hispanic, as was the killer.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

The people I know who are ardently pro gun are in their 40s and their kids think the same way. They are always armed. It’s not going to change anytime in my lifetime. (I’m 41)

And there are old people who find all of this disgusting.  But they’re not balanced. Gen Z is more concerned for humanity, by percentage, than the old people ever have been.
Also, you need to find new people. Even in my heavily armed area, plenty of people are in favor of common sense legislation.  Carrying a gun (a debatable act, for sure) doesn’t mean supporting a free for all.

• Like 3

I was testing all day and had to have my phone and computer off until after school, so I am just trying to catch up.

One thing I am not quite understanding......it sounds like he killed different kids of different ages.   Were the kids in the cafeteria or playground or somewhere where there were several different age kids all together?   It doesn't seem that he could go from room to room and kill one or two and move on to the next classroom and the next.   

Have they talked about any of that?

My sister is a school teacher and this is what she wrote me today. "Every year I have the shittiest most terrible conversation with the kids in my charge. Like it goes like this. 'Hey guys, my room isn't safe and you are old enough to run like hell. We know from the VA Tech shooting that if you leave the building you are more likely to survive. So we have 3 options and let me lay them out for you. My job is to get you out of the building. Your job is to run to the Trany campus or the fire station. Once you leave the building I can't be in charge of you any more.' Silence happens in my room.....Year after fucking year. Kid after kid I traumatize. They are 14. Fourteen and I am talking about their lives like they don't matter."

She told me she permanently keeps a hammer by the window as one of the exits. 😞

Edited by lewelma
  • Sad 32

I'm over it. I'm gonna start lobbying SECDEF to create more base schools, K-12, to keep kids on base vs. relying on the civilian options. It's a retention issue and may well become a recruitment incentive. Back in the day, in southern states, base schools were created to offer an alternative to segregated schools. Safe schools with accurate history instruction and fully stocked libraries could be a big win for the services.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 14

26 minutes ago, lewelma said:

My sister is a school teacher and this is what she wrote me today. "Every year I have the shittiest most terrible conversation with the kids in my charge. Like it goes like this. 'Hey guys, my room isn't safe and you are old enough to run like hell. We know from the VA Tech shooting that if you leave the building you are more likely to survive. So we have 3 options and let me lay them out for you. My job is to get you out of the building. Your job is to run to the Trany campus or the fire station. Once you leave the building I can't be in charge of you any more.' Silence happens in my room.....Year after fucking year. Kid after kid I traumatize. They are 14. Fourteen and I am talking about their lives like they don't matter."

I have always been bothered by the fact that the plans, that my kids are drilled in every quarter, involve turning off the lights and sitting in the room quietly, even when there are exterior exit doors in the classroom.  Even when I have taught in elementary school, it has always seemed to me like in an emergency, lives would be saved by opening the door and having the kids run.  I mean, there may be classrooms and instances when turning off the lights and hiding is the safest situation, but I wish they'd allow teachers and adults on the ground to make the judgment call in a given situation.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have always been bothered by the fact that the plans, that my kids are drilled in every quarter, involve turning off the lights and sitting in the room quietly, even when there are exterior exit doors in the classroom.  Even when I have taught in elementary school, it has always seemed to me like in an emergency, lives would be saved by opening the door and having the kids run.  I mean, there may be classrooms and instances when turning off the lights and hiding is the safest situation, but I wish they'd allow teachers and adults on the ground to make the judgment call in a given situation.  

Or breaking the damned windows and jumping out! Even from the second story, the older kids may be better off. Toss the babies out of the 1st floor windows. They're better off cut than shot at close range with LEGALLY PURCHASED weapons. The fact that this even has to be discussed is disgusting. I felt safer with my kid's bus dodging tire fires in Bahrain than attending school in the U.S.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I don't know how this works with schools, but in an active shooter situation, yes---you are supposed to run and not be a sitting target.  😞  I am not well educated on the merits of both sides of the gun ownership argument, but we do know schools are soft targets.  At my children's elementary school, once they knew you, you were easily buzzed in.  I think it'd be very easy for anyone to enter a school.  And where I live, we have a police officer in the town on Fridays and Saturdays.  The county could be many, many miles away.  It'd be easy for someone to make a tragedy from that situation.  😞  Most gun deaths don't happen this way, but these mass shootings are shocking.  Well, they used to be.  They seem to be happening often.  

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I don't know how this works with schools, but in an active shooter situation, yes---you are supposed to run and not be a sitting target.  😞  I am not well educated on the merits of both sides of the gun ownership argument, but we do know schools are soft targets.  At my children's elementary school, once they knew you, you were easily buzzed in.  I think it'd be very easy for anyone to enter a school.  And where I live, we have a police officer in the town on Fridays and Saturdays.  The county could be many, many miles away.  It'd be easy for someone to make a tragedy from that situation.  😞  Most gun deaths don't happen this way, but these mass shootings are shocking.  Well, they used to be.  They seem to be happening often.  

If we're going to be a country that has this many guns I think we're just going to have to start acting like it.  That's probably going to mean a dystopian reality where every school needs TSA style entrances, and guards patrolling the grounds.  Probably need that at the grocery store and church too, among other locations.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I lived in Denver when the Columbine shooting occurred, and my goddaughter was at a high school two miles away.  The movie theater in Highlands Ranch where the gunman killed people at a showing of The Dark Knight in 2012 was a movie theater I frequented when we lived there.  My husband worked on the campus of Virginia Tech when the massacre happened.  A reporter and camera man from my current town were killed on air.  I lived in San Antonio, just down the road from Uvalde.  I have a friend in Buffalo whose closest grocery store that she regularly frequents is the one where people were killed last week.

I am sick to death of watching mass shootings and going, "Oh, wow, I know that place." 

• Sad 10

8 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I don't know how this works with schools, but in an active shooter situation, yes---you are supposed to run and not be a sitting target.  😞  I am not well educated on the merits of both sides of the gun ownership argument, but we do know schools are soft targets.  At my children's elementary school, once they knew you, you were easily buzzed in.  I think it'd be very easy for anyone to enter a school.  And where I live, we have a police officer in the town on Fridays and Saturdays.  The county could be many, many miles away.  It'd be easy for someone to make a tragedy from that situation.  😞  Most gun deaths don't happen this way, but these mass shootings are shocking.  Well, they used to be. They seem to be happening often.  

Schools are not 'soft' targets. They are SCHOOLS. Targets are for military actions. Police actions. These are schools, grocery stores, churches. My kids' schools have buzz-in only access. One person at a time. That doesn't stop a 12-18yo from getting off the bus heavily armed and firing at will. There are no metal detectors but ghost guns make that such a quaint concept. The problem isn't the schools. IT'S THE GUNS!!! It's the stupid, delusional families who give their children unfettered access to guns. It's the media that romanticizes firearms as an extension of masculinity. Ammosexuals are real. They get off on this stuff. I REALLY want to see unfettered access to guns be treated as seriously as child abuse and neglect.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 11

3 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

If we're going to be a country that has this many guns I think we're just going to have to start acting like it.  That's probably going to mean a dystopian reality where every school needs TSA style entrances, and guards patrolling the grounds.  Probably need that at the grocery store and church too, among other locations.  

I agree.  I admit that one of the reasons I do not go to a physical church is I am afraid of a mass shooting. I've also been in a store with an irate customer.  Yes, I wondered if he would act beyond his yelling.  

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Schools are not 'soft' targets. They are SCHOOLS. Targets are for military actions. Police actions. These are schools, grocery stores, churches. My kids' schools have buzz-in only access. One person at a time. That doesn't stop a 12-18yo from getting off the bus heavily armed and firing at will. There are no metal detectors but ghost guns make that such a quaint concept. The problem isn't the schools. IT'S THE GUNS!!!

Well, when you have nothing to stop someone from committing a horrific act, I think that is soft.  😞  The verbiage doesn't matter.  It is the guns and it is the people.  Guns can kill more people faster, and I know the majority are not mass shooting deaths.  Unfortunately, with the ability to make guns using 3d printers, I guess I keep hoping that some schools will have more security and better planning.  That is all. I think EVERYTHING needs to be addressed.  Schools should be safe and secure.  They are not.  😞

I'm not sure if it's sad, pathetic, or a relief that the ammosexuals among us (and you know who you are) are silent in this thread. Their complicity in the growing human carnage associated with the inability/unwillingness to address our collective need for change is deafening. They vote for 'babies' in the womb and watch breathing children die without changing their behavior in any meaningful way. It's grotesque and it's blasphemous. Folks can rail about my 'meanness' and 'rudeness' and profanity all they want to. I will continue flipping tables while others clutch their pearls. THIS IS NOT OK.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 11

3 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Well, when you have nothing to stop someone from committing a horrific act, I think that is soft.  😞  The verbiage doesn't matter.  It is the guns and it is the people.  Guns can kill more people faster, and I know the majority are not mass shooting deaths.  Unfortunately, with the ability to make guns using 3d printers, I guess I keep hoping that some schools will have more security and better planning.  That is all. I think EVERYTHING needs to be addressed.  Schools should be safe and secure.  They are not.  😞

3D printed guns don't work as well as most people think.  Yesm you can 3D print one, but its only good for 1, maybe a few, shots.  They aren't weapons of mass shootings.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

Just now, Heartstrings said:

3D printed guns don't work as well as most people think.  Yes you can 3D print one, but its only good for 1, maybe a few shots.  They aren't weapons of mass shootings.  

For now.  I think people generally get better at things.  https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/what-we-know-so-far-about-salvador-ramos-the-suspected-texas-school-shooter/  So of course, there were little warnings on social media.  😞  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

For now.  I think people generally get better at things.  https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/what-we-know-so-far-about-salvador-ramos-the-suspected-texas-school-shooter/  So of course, there were little warnings on social media.  😞  

The problem is things like that are only helpful in hindsight.  There's nothing being put out that would have been a reason for any authority to do anything even if it had been brought to their attention.  An attentive parent MAYBE.  Although his posts do point to the larger problems.  Its not guns in isolation, its the WORSHIP of the guns that is the problem.  

• Like 3

I have no words. My husband is from Texas and he changed his view on guns long ago and is against guns in every house now. He loved guns when we met and even wanted to take me shooting and I refused. I do not want to touch them, I don't want to have them, I am not a police officer or soldier and don't have any use for them.

I am so so much against guns in private hands.

My husband's family are gun lovers. All of them. "People kill people, not guns." is what they say.  Well, it doesn't happen anywhere else in the world that often and on a daily basis like here that people get killed in shootings. Why don't they see that?

It makes me so angry that they are so scared of change and that they glorify weapons that much. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

Someone dear to me is a high school teacher. And apparently almost all the teachers have items in their room that would be really helpful in securing doors and breaking windows. They're not allowed to have weapons or certain things that seem like self-defense items. But they all have items that by golly could be repurposed at need. Extra brooms to thread through door handles. Tools for "classroom projects" that will break glass or secure doors. And so on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heartstrings said:

The problem is things like that are only helpful in hindsight.  There's nothing being put out that would have been a reason for any authority to do anything even if it had been brought to their attention.  An attentive parent MAYBE.  Although his posts do point to the larger problems.  Its not guns in isolation, its the WORSHIP of the guns that is the problem.  

I think that is the most frustrating thing.  😞  But it keeps repeating.  An 18 year old should be busy looking to his future, not looking backwards to shoot up little kids and teachers.  

22 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

They have doors. They had armed guards. They rely, like everything else in society, on law, custom and policy to prevent antisocial behavior. We have no national laws or policies that prevent antisocial gun violence. NONE. There aren't even registration or background checks required in TX. In MI the PARENTS gave their son a gun and refused to take him home when he was threatening other students. This is an ammosexual family/gun problem.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Ting Tang said:

I think that is the most frustrating thing.  😞  But it keeps repeating.  An 18 year old should be busy looking to his future, not looking backwards to shoot up little kids and teachers.  

I think that's the other key problem we have to figure out.  Why are so many 16-25 year old men so broken, so hurt, so.....something.   This is clearly a problem in that demographic, especially in white males, although I know this guy was Hispanic this time.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

They have doors. They had armed guards. They rely, like everything else in society, on law, custom and policy to prevent antisocial behavior. We have no law or policies that prevent antisocial gun violence. NONE.

I guess they had more than many schools.  I think we are a culture of violence.  

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I guess they had more than many schools.  I think we are a culture of violence.  

WE are not a culture of violence. AMMOSEXUAL families have a culture that celebrates violence, might makes right, take what you want, defend yourself at all costs, shoot first and ask questions later. That is not a *WE* problem. What they had is the BARE MINIMUM for most schools now.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

If I start talking about it, I'll just start screaming. I'm in that weird space between so angry I'm incandescent and so numb I couldn't care less.

This is why I sometimes think, I will never be the mom who says I can't wait to be a grandma.  😞  

• Like 3

Just now, Sneezyone said:

WE are not a culture of violence. AMMOSEXUAL families have a culture that celebrates violence, might makes right, take what you want, defend yourself at all costs, shoot first and ask questions later. That is not a *WE* problem. What they had is the BARE MINIMUM for most schools now.

I see what you are saying, believe me. Music, movies, television, video games...  there is a lot of violence.  It is just my personal opinion.  Garbage in, garbage out.  And just the negativity.  That is a part of it. 

3 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

This is why I sometimes think, I will never be the mom who says I can't wait to be a grandma.  😞  

God I feel that on a deep level

My daughter is a teacher though so I can't get away from it

Edited by goldberry
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ting Tang said:

I see what you are saying, believe me. Music, movies, television, video games...  there is a lot of violence.  It is just my personal opinion.  Garbage in, garbage out.  And just the negativity.  That is a part of it. 

Yeah, I grew up in the 80s. Nothing my kids saw on film was as bad as what I saw/heard or as violent as what war vets experienced. It's not the media. Just keep telling yourself that tho if it helps you sleep at night. It neatly absolves anyone of the need to change their behavior or voting habits.

• Like 11

Yeah, I grew up in the 80s. Nothing my kids saw on film was as bad as what I saw/heard or as violent as what war vets experienced. It's not the media. Just keep telling yourself that tho if it helps you sleep at night. It neatly absolves anyone of the need to change their behavior or voting habits.

I agree, its not the media.  I think its the glorification of the gun bringing someone personal power, added to broken people.  The vast, vast majority of these crimes are not from kids playing Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.  Those gamer kids are still at home playing their video games.  Its the kids who make REAL guns their whole personality, their entire being that are the problems.  Those boys who feel so powerless, or hopeless or angry, or radicalized.... I don't know, those are the kids causing trouble.    

• Like 7

I think it's mainly the laws why it keeps happening and not only the people.

I don't want to talk bad about a certain group but in the country my family lives we have the half Middle East. Mostly young men that grew up around violence and don't have the best outlook into their future and lots of them with mental issues from bad experiences. They are not bad people but they grew up in a harsh enviroment. 

So yes, some of them turn quicker to violence and hurt somebody but I would not like to know what would happen if some of them had access to guns like they do in Texas. One person could hurt a lot more people in a short amount of time.

We do still  not have lots of murders.

Laws need to change. 

There will always be people with mental issues and the access to guns is just too easy for these people in most states here.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot to add hateful social media.  That adds to the negativity.    Detachment from reality, compassion.  

1 minute ago, Heartstrings said:

I agree, its not the media.  I think its the glorification of the gun bringing someone personal power, added to broken people.  The vast, vast majority of these crimes are not from kids playing Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.  Those gamer kids are still at home playing their video games.  Its the kids who make REAL guns their whole personality, their entire being that are the problems.  Those boys who feel so powerless, or hopeless or angry, or radicalized.... I don't know, those are the kids causing trouble.    

And the families who encourage them b/c they think it's harmless fun and fits in with their own political leanings. Folks seem to have no trouble identifying LGBTQIA identification as a social contagion but can't squint well-enough to see the blaring neon sign that is gun violence? Something that results in mass casualties?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

We don't have buzzers or armed guards at any of the schools around here.  

You should. If you don't, I'd be at the next school board meeting demanding such. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen and unconscionable. Even before mass shooters decided schools were a great place to make a statement, DV situations made schools vulnerable. There were virtually no murders in Bahrain, certainly not with guns, but the security situation was such that there was an armed guard on every bus, a high fence around the school, and an armed patrol on the school grounds.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I don’t want to send my kids to school tomorrow. It’s a half day, last day. Nothing happening at elementary, but middle schoolers has a final. I know it’s irrational. But all I can think is it’s the last day and if someone were determined? Well? It’s their last chance. Ugh. I hate this country. Jesus, come quickly. 

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

You should. If you don't, I'd be at the next school board meeting demanding such. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen and unconscionable. Even before mass shooters decided schools were a great place to make a statement, DV situations made schools vulnerable.

I've never seen school with that kind of security in real life. I wonder what the cost is compared to the actual occurrence of problems.  They have various lockdown procedures and protocols.

5 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I've never seen school with that kind of security in real life. I wonder what the cost is compared to the actual occurrence of problems.  They have various lockdown procedures and protocols.

Our schools have, minimum, double doors and buzzer access. Even city offices do after the Virginia Beach municipal shooting a couple years ago. You have to be buzzed in the front door and the second set can be auto-locked by pushing a button. You need a badge that only allows access to certain floors. There's only one receptionist in the entry area. That only helps with external assailants who make a gun visible, not kids who bring guns to school on the bus or in a backpack. The only thing that stops that is prosecuting ALL parents, not just the ones who don't look like you, who leave guns accessible to juveniles. Raise the age for gun purchases. Universal background checks. Red flag laws. ALL OF THE ABOVE. We DO NOT have to sit back and accept this. I really don't care about the cost. I care about my kids coming home safe. Apparently Texas DGAF.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8