Menu

Pros and Cons of living on a golf course?

mommyoffive

I know a lot of people who live on golf courses. Cons are pesticide/herbicide exposure, broken windows from golf balls, golfers trespassing into your yard, and having to see and hear a steady stream of sometimes loud and raucous people passing by from early morning until dark. Dh says you might also have to deal with people peeing in your yard.

• Like 8

Probably not something of immediate concern, but not too far from us is a neighborhood originally built as really nice, with a good course and everything. Fortunes changed, it became run down over time, and in the housing collapse the golf course completely went under. Thieves criss crossed the course as they broke into houses, but otherwise it was unused by humans, bringing some wild life closer than was appreciated.

That's probably rare, but it soured me a bit on the idea.

• Like 3

That happened to one of my colleagues as well. He bought a house that had a golf course. About 3 years after moving in they decided the golf course thing wasn't profitable enough and decided they wanted to turn the golf course land into condos. I'd be wary that there would always be a chance of that.

If you want the wide-open space; I think it's better to back up onto a national or regional park. Then your issue is wild animals and (if you don't have a clear fence) the hiker or dog walker going into your yard. 

• Like 3

My sister’s house is on a golf course and after 10 years they decided it wasn’t profitable. So for two years it just became overgrown, and then for another year they leased it and a farmer put cows on it. Now they’re planning to build some 400 houses. My sister doesn’t play golf but none of these recent changes is very appealing to her. 

• Like 1

Pesticide and herbicide exposure would be a dealbreaker for me.

My sister lived next to a flower farm and had a baby with a congenital malformation not compatible with life. This particular congenital issue is known to be associated with pesticide exposure.

When she first moved in we thought it was so beautiful to see the colorful fields out her windows but she later learned that farms that produce non-food products can use more harmful chemicals not allowed on agricultural fields. I don't know what golf courses use but after this heartbreaking experience I would not risk the potential environmental exposure. 

• Sad 14

42 minutes ago, Xahm said:

Probably not something of immediate concern, but not too far from us is a neighborhood originally built as really nice, with a good course and everything. Fortunes changed, it became run down over time, and in the housing collapse the golf course completely went under. Thieves criss crossed the course as they broke into houses, but otherwise it was unused by humans, bringing some wild life closer than was appreciated.

That's probably rare, but it soured me a bit on the idea.

This happened to a neighborhood near us. 

• Like 1

We chose a house across the street from a golf course once. Far enough away the balls & morning noises didn’t bother us, still a nice neighborhood. It was fine, but I did have a lot of unexplained miscarriages when we lived there. Like I stopped taking pregnancy tests after 5 lots. 

• Sad 10

Dh grew up on a community golf course and we used to enjoy taking walks out there in the late evening. The view was beautiful. I didn’t like the crowds of weekenders playing golf, but that didn’t bother my in-laws at all. My sil made a fortune with a lemonade stand in the yard, lol. In forty years of living there, they did have a broken window once, and fil was hit in the head with a golf ball once. None of their neighbors (at least the ones who were their friends—no way to know about random other people) had either problem ever, though. In that town, homes on the golf course were eagerly sought, so my in-laws had higher taxes but also sold at a high price last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I know a lot of people who live on golf courses. Cons are pesticide/herbicide exposure, broken windows from golf balls, golfers trespassing into your yard, and having to see and hear a steady stream of sometimes loud and raucous people passing by from early morning until dark. Dh says you might also have to deal with people peeing in your yard.

This. Exactly. 

My grandparents did this in FL in the winter months. Their yard had a thick screen of trees, evergreens mostly, that protected their privacy. Rarely any balls in their yard and never people. They ate b’fast on the screened porch in their jammies almost every day. They were golfers, so loved the accessibility - just drove their golf cart to and from the clubhouse. But their scenario, in an area with lots of retirees and snowbirds, might not be typical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

My sister’s house is on a golf course and after 10 years they decided it wasn’t profitable. So for two years it just became overgrown, and then for another year they leased it and a farmer put cows on it. Now they’re planning to build some 400 houses. My sister doesn’t play golf but none of these recent changes is very appealing to her. 

This is happening in our town as well. 

• Like 1

We live on a golf course. I love my house and, in an expensive area with tiny yards, it's a way to have more privacy from neighbors and a green view I don't have to maintain. The golfers aren't loud, can't come into my yard (fenced), and the club is old and very established. We do get golf balls in the yard and we had to replace the outer pane of glass of one window a couple years ago. It was the right choice for us...but ymmv

• Like 1

My aunt and uncle have lived on two golf courses.

The biggest pro is ease of golfing!!!!!!!

Like other posters have said, the management company of one went bankrupt or something.  For about two years there was minimal upkeep of the course and the clubhouse was closed and starting to deteriorate.

Then another management company bought it and it’s nice again.  

I think the specific house can matter for golf balls hitting the house.  I have been in the house when a ball hit a window, and it was so loud!  But with their location only a very poor golfer would hit the ball into their house.  

They say their are some drunk golfers but I don’t think it has been a problem, they just can tell.  

At one of them residents could walk on the course after a certain time and it made a nice place to walk, and it had a nice water feature and things like that.  

Where they live now my uncle has a “golf only” membership.  Where they used to live they had a membership that was more expensive, and I think they wanted somewhere that the membership fee could be less.  

Both of them did not have private backyard areas.  My aunt and uncle do not care at all.  They are happy to sit on their patio and let the golfers go by.  Where they are now, their backyard backs up to the area behind the clubhouse where they set up for outdoor weddings.  There is a lot of green space but nothing in-between.  My aunt and uncle enjoy it.  That is new since they moved in, too, they didn’t know this area would be used for events and weddings when they bought the house.  They think it is a positive, though, because it has made their neighborhood nicer and it’s considered a desirable place to get married.  Especially after they previously had a view of the clubhouse while it needed to be painted during the bankruptcy thing.  

• Like 1

My aunt and uncle have never been near a green, and it seems like that is what gets the most pesticide?  Where they are now their back yard is alongside a rough area and it has pretty prairie type grass planted — I would not think it was sprayed, it is a natural grass here.  I don’t really know, though.

I feel like I remember that in their previous house, one neighbor would have a huge amount of golf balls, because of the way the course was set up and where it was likely for balls to go as people played.  For their current house I am sure they picked one they thought would have few balls their way.  

• Like 1

We lived across the street from the folks on the golf course. Some folks had broken windows on occasion. If you have a friend who plays golf, have them play the course and see if your house would be a potential target. 

Some of the people loved watching the bunnies that came out in the evening.  

Everyone on the golf course had to have a back fence - the 3' or 4' kind that was like wrought iron (so very see through) (HOA community). This meant they didn't have a lot of privacy if they had a backyard pool, but they could appreciate the green space. 

The last summer we lived there, many of those houses had someone (or someones) jump their back fence, pick up their outside furniture and toss it in their pool. This happened to a number of folks who lived directly on the golf course - all in one night. 

• Like 1

We lived on a golf course, we lived near a golf course, dh parents live on a golf course.  The biggest issue for me is the early morning mowing.  The last home we had (near a golf course) they would start mowing at on Saturday at 5am in the summer.  My in-laws course they are early too, but not that early.

When I had small kids the golf balls coming into my yard did concern me but with older kids I would not care.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...