Menu

What to do with cornmeal

alysee

I have no recipe suggestions, but I would put the cornmeal in the freezer and extend Thst expiration date.

I store larger containers of spuces (refilling small containers in my kitchen as needed), flour,yeast  popcorn, chips, etc in my freezer. 

• Like 3

Oh you can use it for any kind of coating.  We make this vegan thing that has sweet potatoes, sliced, roasted slightly dip in some sort of milk/egg/vegan substitute and then dip in a corn meal and possibly 2nd flour mix, spices of choice and brown in oil on both sides.  Like you could make oven or airfryer blooming onion with corn meal in the coating mix and that would be great.

• Like 1

I have made polenta with regular cornmeal, and then it is what goes on top of a tamale pie.  If that makes sense.  It’s similar to a cornbread topping but it’s not bread-y.

Some recipes have you boil/cook the cornmeal in a pot and then that is poured over the casserole before it is baked.  

(It’s been a while but I think this is correct.). 

Edit:  I feel like I have made one where you boil the cornmeal and then pour on top, but I am looking at my recipe and it says to prepare polenta and then spread it in the bottom of the pan before it sets. (For Tamale Pie.)

I have eaten Italian casserole with set, cold polenta that is sliced and used as a layer.  It’s good, too.  

Edit:  vaguely like this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52924/cheesy-polenta-casserole/

If the polenta was set in a pan, it will be in strips or rectangles instead of circles (when I have had it).  

Edited by Lecka

Lemon cornmeal pancakes - make your usual pancake recipe but sub cornmeal for one fourth of the flour you would normally use and add lots of lemon zest and juice.  It works best if you let the cornmeal soak in whatever milk you are using for the recipe for 10 minutes before making the recipe. Especially nice with raspberries.

• Like 3

My kids like cornmeal mush for breakfast. I have a recipe for slow cooker tamale pie that I like. I’ve done various cornbread topped casseroles over the years. There are cornmeal pancake recipes that can be a nice change from regular pancakes once in awhile. I think once I made cornmeal waffles to serve as a savory accompaniment to supper. I use cornmeal half and half with white flour as breading for oven baked chicken nuggets (seasoned with seasoned salt).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Emba said:

My kids like cornmeal mush for breakfast. I have a recipe for slow cooker tamale pie that I like. I’ve done various cornbread topped casseroles over the years. There are cornmeal pancake recipes that can be a nice change from regular pancakes once in awhile. I think once I made cornmeal waffles to serve as a savory accompaniment to supper. I use cornmeal half and half with white flour as breading for oven baked chicken nuggets (seasoned with seasoned salt).

Recipe for the slow cooker tamale pie, please?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Recipe for the slow cooker tamale pie, please?!

It’s like this one: https://www.thespruceeats.com/crockpot-tamale-pie-recipe-3055239 except I use canned tomatoes seasoned with chipotle or lime and green chilies to add a bit more flavor. Also I put in some diced onions.

Eta: also mine doesn’t have olives in it. 

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alysee said:

I only use cornmeal for cornbread. I would love to hear what else I can do with it? We have some that is about to expire. 

If you don't want to use it up right away you can put it in the freezer to extend it's life.  I store mine that way. 

• Like 3

I use it for johnnycake with pure maple syrup for breakfast at least one morning per week.  Grew up on johnnycake and made it every morning as a little girl growing up while everyone else was out in the barn doing morning milking.  Passing along that tradition to my crew. 

• Like 4

I often replace some of the flour with cornmeal when making blueberry waffles.

But to go in a very different direction: suet!

Mix up bacon grease (or coconut oil, or any other fat) and peanut butter (or sunflower butter) in about equal proportions until gloppy. Add in cornmeal until more firm, then stir in a copious amount of birdseed. You can add raisins or dried fruit if you like.

Theoretically this is for the birds... but this time of year is when squirrels go hungry, so I usually roll this into balls and put it on the sill for them. I probably shouldn't, but I do like squirrels.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

But to go in a very different direction: suet!

Mix up bacon grease (or coconut oil, or any other fat) and peanut butter (or sunflower butter) in about equal proportions until gloppy. Add in cornmeal until more firm, then stir in a copious amount of birdseed. You can add raisins or dried fruit if you like.

Theoretically this is for the birds... but this time of year is when squirrels go hungry, so I usually roll this into balls and put it on the sill for them. I probably shouldn't, but I do like squirrels.

Great idea!! I want to try this!