Menu

My MIL is teaching the Mormon missionaries how to hem pants

Terabith

I love Mormon missionaries!  I wish I was brave enough to interact with them more, but I have no plans of converting and don’t want to lead them on. One of my best friends is Mormon so when I lived near her I got to know her missionaries and tried to help them get settled in so far from home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live near the Memphis LDS temple,  and I am half convinced we are on a list of “send new missionaries here first-they’re at least friendly”. My favorite story was the day two young men showed up while we were homeschooling, and when they asked if they could help with anything, L called out “Do either of ya’ll know Latin?” One perked up and said “ I do! I was homeschooled too!!” So, they worked happily on translations while the other young man and I discussed the Bible a bit 🙂.

I also love our local Jehovah’s witnesses-and rather missed them when they stopped coming in person due to COVID. When we first moved here, and I was lonely and stuck with a toddler, I practically pulled those ladies into the living room the first time they came by, because I was dying to talk to an adult, and their stopping by, dropping off each month’s Watchtower, and then us discussing L and their grandkids really was a life preserver. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

When I was just out of grad school, Mormon missionaries lived in the same apartment complex I did. We often met in the laundry room. Lots of interesting theological conversations. My roommate and I did take them cookies or banana bread sometimes. They sometimes seemed lonely and very homesick. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I live near the Memphis LDS temple,  and I am half convinced we are on a list of “send new missionaries here first-they’re at least friendly”. My favorite story was the day two young men showed up while we were homeschooling, and when they asked if they could help with anything, L called out “Do either of ya’ll know Latin?” One perked up and said “ I do! I was homeschooled too!!” So, they worked happily on translations while the other young man and I discussed the Bible a bit 🙂.

I also love our local Jehovah’s witnesses-and rather missed them when they stopped coming in person due to COVID. When we first moved here, and I was lonely and stuck with a toddler, I practically pulled those ladies into the living room the first time they came by, because I was dying to talk to an adult, and their stopping by, dropping off each month’s Watchtower, and then us discussing L and their grandkids really was a life preserver. 

Yup.  When we were homeschooling, at my MIL’s house, they often stopped by to play board games, eat stew/ pie/ pot roast, and helped my oldest with math at least once.  

• Like 3

We used to get so many of the Mormon missionaries because they had a tiny little church a block and a half away. But they sold it and now it's a small drama conservatory. It was a little brick church in between the rowhouses and the new thing painted it super bright red and put in black windows and now it looks really cool. But... no more missionaries. I think the neighborhood gentrified too much for them. I mean, look what happened to their church.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

This is literally the best thing I have read all,day. 

• Like 2

When a friend's child was on mission she asked her friends- if you interact with a missionary, take a photo of them and send it to their parents (email).

A small thing to do - has gotten me offers to visit any time in Melbourne AUS and in California... grateful parents! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

When a friend's child was on mission she asked her friends- if you interact with a missionary, take a photo of them and send it to their parents (email).

A small thing to do - has gotten me offers to visit any time in Melbourne AUS and in California... grateful parents! 

Do you ask them for their parents’ email address? Will they think it’s weird to ask for that?

My dd lives very close to an lds church and I wish some missionaries would stop by her dorm and help her with her math! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do you ask them for their parents’ email address? Will they think it’s weird to ask for that?

My dd lives very close to an lds church and I wish some missionaries would stop by her dorm and help her with her math! 

I have gotten texts with photos while my boys were out.  I LOVE it and am totally fine with them giving them my number. We usually have a brief exchange and I'm grateful to hear from someone else how they are doing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My sister always welcomes the Mormon missionaries in her area. She isn't Mormon, but she was invited to share her personal testimony at the local ward in the past. She recently hosted a game day for them and had lots of snacks and treats for them. They had a lot of fun. 

We haven't had any visit in our new home.  In our last home, we had very good Mormon friends living right across the street. The missionaries never came over, so I'm sure our neighbors told them we were very secure in our beliefs. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KSera said:

I think most missionaries would be delighted to have a friendly stranger send a photo to their parents.

And parents...well, it's never easy having a kid far away--sometimes very far away--and limited to once-a-week communication (standard rule for missionaries). We would love to get news in between weekly calls!

• Like 2