Menu

Things you can't post on facebook (not political)

SKL

I've had a couple instances now (that I know of), and I'm wondering what else people have experienced.

Today I wanted to post a target I shot at the shooting range last week, and fb would not allow the photo to post.  Before I even hit "post," the photo had a yellow caution sign on it, so I guess that means "we aren't allowing you to post this."

I previously posted here about a time I responded jokingly to a joke post about how people born under my zodiac sign will kick your a$$.  FB banned the post even after I appealed.  Ridiculous.

So I'm wondering, what other sorts of things does facebook not allow people to post, that are not ill-intentioned by the poster?  Experiences?  What about other social media platforms?

• Sad 3

I had a bunch of posts removed on a page that supported someone for school board before the last election.  I can't even remember what I posted but it was certainly nothing bad.  Someone from an opponent's supporter must have reported all of my posts to facebook and they just automatically removed them without checking.  It was bizarre.  

I have friends who are constantly in facebook jail for things they post and I don't have any idea why.  They aren't threatening or hateful or anything like that.  Just discussions.  It really is ridiculous the things they won't allow you to post.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I’m not on Facebook, but isn’t lots of the content moderation just automated? No algorithm is going to be perfect. Certainly they can’t be contracting out all of the work of policing every single post and photo? 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 7

It hasn’t happened to me ever but a friend of mine posted an extremely benign “prayers for Ukraine” post a couple of days ago and got notice that she cannot do any FB live for 25 days and there were a couple other restrictions that don’t make sense to me. 
I also heard of someone getting FB jailed because they typed something like, “I could punch him right in the face.” It wasn’t a literal threat but I guess FB algorithms interpreted that way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I tried to post a fake fur coat one time for free on our local homeschool group's buy-sell subgroup. I could not use the word "fur" in the post at all.  I'm assuming that is what went against community standards - because they do not clearly tell you what you did 'wrong'. 

• Like 1

I haven’t heard about or seen any of this. I did recently put out quite an angry post about the TX gov and might have written things very unlike me but it’s all still there with no warnings or anything. I’ve seen a few post some crazy things over the past year about Covid and now Russia but no censoring that I can tell.

• Like 2

The bots aren't all that smart.

I saw the problem in a mental health support group because the word suicide couldn't be mentioned, so they had to invent euphemisms to talk about feeling suicidal. One person left, convinced that someone reported them - nope, just the not so intelligent AI.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Facebook is still putting stupid warnings on posts on my Lupus and Sjogren's groups when anybody mentions taking hydroxychloroquine or being prescribed it. Hello- it is the standard treatment for those diseases- and nothing at all to do with COVID.  In fact, some of the sufferers of the diseases had problems in 2020 because of shortages due to non-conncective tissue disease people getting scripts for supposedly COVID.

I have never had anything banned and I have done some of the same things as a number of you- things like asking for prayers or responding that I am praying.  Things like saying I went pistol shooting.  Statement supporting the death penalty in some case.  

I have no idea why I am not banned ever. 

Animal sales. This is a bit annoying when it comes to chickens because selling on Facebook means I can stalk the person a bit and see if I want to sell to them versus gumtree where you only figure out when they get to your house that you might not be overly happy to sell to them. I do kind of get it - obviously don’t want to support animal cruelty but there’s a lot of legitimate reasons to keep and occasional sell as well. 

• Like 2

A FB friend of mine has a pic of target practice (and not the target, just the practicing, iykwim) as her profile right now. So bots didn’t flag that. But it is a program, and it is flawed. There’s also the fact that anyone can report things.

Change is hard and weird and confusing.
I’m sure I’ve said it here before but, in the mid-90s, I wrote a poem about making the building I learned in go boom.  (<—-How one now references naughty things.) I got an A. Today, I’d be suspended at the least. It’s a no-no.  My brain understands the reasoning, but still gets hung up on how different the two worlds I’ve lived in really are.

• Like 4

In book sales groups that I'm in, books that have pictures of animals on the cover are frequently rejected as being "animals for sale".  Ditto books that have a banned item in the title..."Album of Horses" by Margarite Henry or "Rifles for Watie" by Harold Keith.  🙄. I get that it's just automated moderation bots but it is annoying to have to work around it nonetheless. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ottakee said:

My blog keeps getting banned.....and everything I write is PG at the worst, most is G rated.

regarding that, I couldn't even PM your blog link to my sister when she found herself in your same situation. I had to text it to her outside of FB.

I did appeal that, but not sure it ever got corrected. It was bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 2/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, TheReader said:

regarding that, I couldn't even PM your blog link to my sister when she found herself in your same situation. I had to text it to her outside of FB.

I did appeal that, but not sure it ever got corrected. It was bizarre. 

I don't think it did.  I can copy my blog posts and put them on FB but not share directly from the blog.  Crazy.

Sorry your sister was in the same situation but hopefully my blog gave her a bit of help.

11 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I don't think it did.  I can copy my blog posts and put them on FB but not share directly from the blog.  Crazy.

Sorry your sister was in the same situation but hopefully my blog gave her a bit of help.

Thanks; she said that it did. I should have messaged you at the time to thank you; I was and am so grateful that you made yourself vulnerable on your blog and shared for those who come after. 

On 2/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, goldberry said:

A friend has a farm that she sells lamb and beef once a year.  She can't post anything, it gets deleted or banned.  I wonder if it's the animal thing?  Because other meat is sold.

There is somebody in our community that has a farm and sells meat (we've bought from her before) and sometimes I'll see a post that says 'I'm trying again...the last one got taken down and I don't know why'.  They post every few weeks in 2 different community groups that we're members of and they sell mostly beef.  I had no idea about the animal thing and wonder if that's it.  'Beef' isn't an animal and some other farms post, too, but maybe wording matters?  It's got to be frustrating, though - these farms are all family businesses that need to make sales, and locals like buying non-factory-farmed meat, and it's being slowed by an algorithm that nobody understands.  It's not that the community groups don't allow sales, since I see people posting about cakes and holiday cookies and yard or house cleaning services all the time.  

Speaking of animals, I see tons of posts advertising pets for adoption, so I guess that gets a pass kuz it isn't called a sale?

I wonder what the logic is of not allowing animals.

Meanwhile I often see posts about children available for adoption, which seems more questionable to me by far (not adoption but the advertising method); but I'm not fb.