Menu

Over here patting myself on the back…

teachermom2834

14 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I went to the gynecologist today for the first time in six years. Oh how I was dreading it. Nearly convinced myself I had covid symptoms this morning so I could be responsible and cancel. 

It wasn’t so bad. She was super nice and she told me they now won’t make me have a pap again for five years! So I wasn’t as far overdue as I thought and knowing I don’t need to do it again for five years is very encouraging. 

Saw the regular doctor in December for the first time in five years. 

These things get harder and harder to schedule the longer you let them go. But I’m pretty proud of myself for getting on track. Even scheduled my annual exams for next year already. 

You're better than me!! I've NEVER had a mammogram. Ever.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

For some reason the mammogram is the one thing I have done routinely. I don’t know why? I guess that particular appointment was just easier for me to make and keep? Or I knew enough women my age who had breast cancer to scare me into it? Not sure why I can keep up with mammograms but nothing else. 

• Like 2

Great job getting that done !   Such an unpleasant appt. and now you have the relief of not needing another pap for a long time!

I can't get a mammogram without a doctor's referral and am vigilant about getting them yearly so that forces me to see the gynecologist.  Otherwise I'd skip it for a long time.  

• Like 1

Good job!

I saw an infographic with updated guidelines and was pleasantly surprised to see that they don't always require yearly exams now! I am overdue.

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

It's not as bad as it sounds, at least for me. Not painful. There was some skin pulling, but my tech fixed it when I mentioned it. She also showed me how to peel myself off the platform when I needed to change side or positions, which was really helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Good job!

I saw an infographic with updated guidelines and was pleasantly surprised to see that they don't always require yearly exams now! I am overdue.

It's not as bad as it sounds, at least for me. Not painful. There was some skin pulling, but my tech fixed it when I mentioned it. She also showed me how to peel myself off the platform when I needed to change side or positions, which was really helpful. 

I’m a big busted woman, and I have dense tissue, so it’s always kind of a pain, and there’s almost always something they want to “look at more closely”…. But it’s really not that bad, the techs have always been great, and I always take myself out for some kind of treat afterwards!  

Anne

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Good job!

I still need to make mine. It’s been five years since I last saw a gynecologist.  In my defense we did move. 
not as easy to find one and then the pandemic hit. 🤨

This is what happened to me. We moved and it is so hard to find someone new. Then pandemic. 

I actually saw a midwife which is new to me. I didn’t even realize they would care for an old lady like me. I associated them with childbirth. But that is who the scheduler at the big practice put me with and she was great. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Anne said:

I’m a big busted woman, and I have dense tissue, so it’s always kind of a pain, and there’s almost always something they want to “look at more closely”…. But it’s really not that bad, the techs have always been great, and I always take myself out for some kind of treat afterwards!  

Anne

I imagine the dense tissue does complicate things! There are women in my family in this category, and they do tend to end up with more extra testing.

The older I get, the more a treat works, lol!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Please go do it, @Sneezyone. A good friend with children similar in age to yours was diagnosed with breast cancer after her first routine mammogram. Fortunately, the treatment went well. She is not yet five years out cancer free, but getting close.

And I’m not going to lie. I find it very painful. After reading about other’s experiences on this board, I was not expecting it to hurt nearly as much as it does. And I gave birth with no pain medication at all, so I think my pain tolerance is pretty high.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Yay.  So glad you crossed those off the list.  I am a few years behind on everything because of the pandemic.  I was going to get caught up last summer in the lull and vaccinated but I only went to the dentist and got a mammogram.  I was so busy catching up all the kids on things too.  

As soon as this surge is lower I am getting all the things. 

I don't think a pap is a big deal at all so I am not worked up about it.  Had my first mammogram last year.  Maybe a few years later than I should have due to the pandemic.  But I was freaking out as I had breast pain.  It was clear so I think it might have been from my Covid shots.   And the mammogram, not a big deal at all either.  i had heard so many women talk badly about it, but it was nothing at all.  Hardest part was staying in the certain position. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Frances said:

Please go do it, @Sneezyone. A good friend with children similar in age to yours was diagnosed with breast cancer after her first routine mammogram. Fortunately, the treatment went well. She is not yet five years out cancer free, but getting close.

And I’m not going to lie. I find it very painful. After reading about other’s experiences on this board, I was not expecting it to hurt nearly as much as it does. And I gave birth with no pain medication at all, so I think my pain tolerance is pretty high.

The pain is what's held me back. I have big, dense breasts so...yeah. I did finally change my insurance to make self-referral and short-notice clinic/mobile options available (more my style). I plan to do it this year.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The pain is what's held me back. I have big, dense breasts so...yeah. I did finally change my insurance to make self-referral and short-notice clinic/mobile options available (more my style). I plan to do it this year.

The skill of the tech makes a big difference. You want someone who knows what they are doing and can get you positioned and get the shot quickly. Now, how one goes about getting a good ultrasound tech I have no idea. I just don’t want to be there on training day.  

I’m sure you know this but somehow I didn’t. The first time you go they are getting a baseline so it is highly likely they will need to call you back for multiple retakes. I didn’t know this was normal and I was pretty convinced that either I was dying or that getting mammograms was the biggest waste of time and money ever. I was ready to throw in the towel and quit if they asked for another picture. But then after that first time I’ve never needed another retake and it has been smooth sailing and quick and easy for several years (until I had a mammogram right after I got the covid vaccine and that complicated things and I needed some retakes because of that). But that first time getting one I thought I would probably quit getting them if it was such an ordeal everytime. Not physically painful. Just lots of retakes which is normal the first time and I wish I’d known. 

I think the regular doc I had for years was really bad at doing paps. I’ve had some others over the years that were much more comfortable, including the one I had today. I think I didn’t know that  my doc was bad at it because I had limited experience. 

• Thanks 1

Good for you!  I was pretty proud of myself when I finally made to the gyn and had my first mammogram, too.  

I haven't been to a GP in many years, though.   I have been putting it off in part because I have gained some weight, and I just don't want to hear about it.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Good for you!  I was pretty proud of myself when I finally made to the gyn and had my first mammogram, too.  

I haven't been to a GP in many years, though.   I have been putting it off in part because I have gained some weight, and I just don't want to hear about it.  

The weight was part of why I put off going to my GP too. I like my GP but she is tiny and she really does act like I’m going to fall over and die of fatness while in the office. I do think doctors should realize that the way they handle weight discussions keeps people out of the office and is not helpful like they think it is. 😕

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JennyD said:

10 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

The weight was part of why I put off going to my GP too. I like my GP but she is tiny and she really does act like I’m going to fall over and die of fatness while in the office. I do think doctors should realize that the way they handle weight discussions keeps people out of the office and is not helpful like they think it is. 😕

This is so true @teachermom2834!  It's terrible and dangerous.  I've been everywhere from obese to underweight and I am definitely taken much more seriously when I see a doctor when I'm not overweight - otherwise any issue I have is blamed on my weight.  I've had several serious health issues in the past few years while I've been slim and I know without a doubt that my doctors would have blamed those issues on my weight if I had been heavier.  

I've gained weight in the past couple of months and am now dreading going to the doctor because of the whole weight issue.  It just shouldn't be that way!  

About ten years ago, I was a bit overweight and my PCP told me I should lose around ten pounds even though she should have known I've struggled with eating disorders my whole life.  And anytime I had an issue, she would tell me to exercise even though I was a compulsive exerciser and she could have just looked in my chart to see that I exercised every darn day.  In fact, some of my mystery health issues were most likely related to over exercising and undereating.

The whole fat prejudice/thin privilege makes me SO angry.  

Sorry for the vent...I could go on and on...

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Yep @Kassia

Its infuriating. I know I’m overweight. I get it. But overweight does not equal stupid and they do talk to you like you are stupid when you are overweight. 

I walk about 25 miles a week on the treadmill. Please do not suggest parking at the far reaches of the lot when I go grocery shopping. That is not going to solve my problem. 

I watch what I eat and I don’t drink soda or sweet tea. Do not warn me about drinking my calories. 

Yeah…I’ve been dieting and exercising my whole life but your five minute pep talk about giving up cokes and taking the stairs is going to solve my problem. 

Ack!!!

okay…rant for another day!!! 

• Like 4

@teachermom2834  sorry to go off topic so much

Many many years ago, I remember Rosie O'Donnell saying something about how her doctor would recommend eating carrots instead of something like potato chips and Rosie was like, "wow, I never realized that carrots were lower in calories than chips.  Thanks for the great advice!  I'll start doing that right away!"  I don't care for her but I loved that - so true and similar to what you just posted.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I no longer have a cervix in need of inspection so the mammogram is the last frontier. 

I need to tackle the mammogram and the colonoscopy. I’m not excited about either (though the mammogram sounds much easier). I’ve been pregnant or nursing most of the time until the pandemic (weaned during it), but I’m definitely due now. 

2 hours ago, Frances said:

I was not expecting it to hurt nearly as much as it does. And I gave birth with no pain medication at all, so I think my pain tolerance is pretty high.

That is not encouraging to hear!  Does anyone know if there are certain body characteristics that make someone more/less likely to have a painful experience?  Not that those can be changed, but I guess it would be good to know what to expect.

58 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I think the regular doc I had for years was really bad at doing paps. I’ve had some others over the years that were much more comfortable, including the one I had today. I think I didn’t know that  my doc was bad at it because I had limited experience. 

I have found midwives in general are much better at them, though I did have one OB who was good as well. My midwife didn’t require the stirrups though. 

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

That is not encouraging to hear!  Does anyone know if there are certain body characteristics that make someone more/less likely to have a painful experience?  

I have no idea but I've been very fortunate to never have pain during my mammograms.  I have very dense breast tissue and breasts that are pretty much completely deflated, unfortunately, so they are easy to squish.  

Colonoscopy prep definitely isn't fun but is so important!  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I have large "moderately dense" breasts and do not find mammograms painful. I would think that smaller breasts with less skin "available" to pull the breast tissue away from the chest wall would be more painful. 

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I need to tackle the mammogram and the colonoscopy. I’m not excited about either (though the mammogram sounds much easier). I’ve been pregnant or nursing most of the time until the pandemic (weaned during it), but I’m definitely due now. 

A colonoscopy wasn't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. The prep isn't fun by any means, but it wasn't painful and I didn't mind having a night off "mom duty" with no responsibility. (That seems pretty sad after writing it. 😄 ) I was asleep for the entire procedure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

That is not encouraging to hear!  Does anyone know if there are certain body characteristics that make someone more/less likely to have a painful experience?  Not that those can be changed, but I guess it would be good to know what to expect.

Mine are dense and have been squished every which way (lots of callbacks) and it has never been painful. Uncomfortable, yes - but the techs are pretty quick about taking the pictures, so the discomfort doesn't last long. I always tell them I'm fine with having the heck squeezed out of them if it means they get a better picture and I won't have to come back for more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yep @Kassia

Its infuriating. I know I’m overweight. I get it. But overweight does not equal stupid and they do talk to you like you are stupid when you are overweight. 

Yeah…I’ve been dieting and exercising my whole life but your five minute pep talk about giving up cokes and taking the stairs is going to solve my problem. 

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

@teachermom2834  sorry to go off topic so much

Many many years ago, I remember Rosie O'Donnell saying something about how her doctor would recommend eating carrots instead of something like potato chips and Rosie was like, "wow, I never realized that carrots were lower in calories than chips.  Thanks for the great advice!  I'll start doing that right away!"  I don't care for her but I loved that - so true and similar to what you just posted.  

Maybe we all need to formulate some unsolicited advice to give back about how they can work on their patronizing tones and advice, lol! 

Regarding below...I have wondered if having pendulous breasts helps, but others with that type still complain about it. 

I know women in my family also have more tenderness if they drink caffeine. Before having kids, I had super tender breasts for about half the month. During my first pregnancy this got worse for several months. Since then, it's been very rare. It wouldn't surprise me if it's better to go at one point in your cycle over another.

4 hours ago, KSera said:

• Like 2

I would rather go to the gynecologist than the dentist. 🙂 They don't have to put me under! Really, it is not so bad and over very quickly. 

Current cervical cancer screening guidelines from ACOG

Cervical cancer screening is an important part of women’s health care. You should start having screening at age 21, regardless of when you first start having sex. How often you should have cervical cancer screening and which tests you should have depend on your age and health history:

• Women who are 21 to 29 should have a Pap test alone every 3 years. HPV testing alone can be considered for women who are 25 to 29, but Pap tests are preferred.
  • Women who are 30 to 65 have three options for testing. They can have a Pap test and an HPV test (co-testing) every 5 years. They can have a Pap test alone every 3 years. Or they can have HPV testing alone every 5 years.

Women should stop having cervical cancer screening after age 65 if

• they do not have a history of moderate or severe abnormal cervical cells or cervical cancer, and
  • they have had either three negative Pap test results in a row, two negative HPV tests in a row, or two negative co-test results in a row within the past 10 years. The most recent test should have been performed within the past 3 or 5 years, depending on the type of test

Women who have had a hysterectomy may still need to have screening. The decision is based on whether the cervix was removed, why the hysterectomy was needed, and whether there is a history of severe cervical cell changes or cervical cancer.

Even if the cervix is removed at the time of hysterectomy, cervical cells can still be present at the top of the vagina. If you have a history of cervical cancer or high-grade cervical cell changes, you should continue to have screening for 20 years after the time of your surgery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, teachermom2834 said:

I went to the gynecologist today for the first time in six years. Oh how I was dreading it. Nearly convinced myself I had covid symptoms this morning so I could be responsible and cancel. 

It wasn’t so bad. She was super nice and she told me they now won’t make me have a pap again for five years! So I wasn’t as far overdue as I thought and knowing I don’t need to do it again for five years is very encouraging. 

Saw the regular doctor in December for the first time in five years. 

These things get harder and harder to schedule the longer you let them go. But I’m pretty proud of myself for getting on track. Even scheduled my annual exams for next year already. 

Good for you! I have an appointment this month. I have rescheduled it several times and have told myself I am not rescheduling it again. I am way overdue. Like years. Not sure why I have such anxiety, so I need to just get on with this stuff and do it. Thanks for posting about this. I feel less alone! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, at the beach said:

Good for you! I have an appointment this month. I have rescheduled it several times and have told myself I am not rescheduling it again. I am way overdue. Like years. Not sure why I have such anxiety, so I need to just get on with this stuff and do it. Thanks for posting about this. I feel less alone! 

If it helps at all - it was sooo not a biggie. So much not anything like what I had built up so much anxiety about. I hope you keep your appointment and have the same experience. Report here and we’ll all give you a pat on the back! You are not alone!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

If it helps at all - it was sooo not a biggie. So much not anything like what I had built up so much anxiety about. I hope you keep your appointment and have the same experience. Report here and we’ll all give you a pat on the back! You are not alone!

Thanks! I will report back. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2022 at 3:16 PM, teachermom2834 said:

This makes me so grateful for my doc. Last time I was in I told her I was not happy about my BMI (it was up a little bit). She replied she was unhappy with hers, too!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 9:06 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just a note that while the initial mammogram is considered “preventative” and doesn’t cost the patient anything, the callback is considered “diagnostic “ and is billed accordingly. 

And I went to the mammogram (first ever) and I got a callback for an ultrasound. They released the results to my chart and saw that I was being called back before they called to schedule. I went for the ultrasound and thankfully everything was fine. I am very relieved I followed through on all of this! 

• Like 9

Going for my first mammogram tomorrow.  Dropping this here so I don't cancel.

On 2/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, Sneezyone said:

I don't worry about the pain as much as the radiation.  I'm so over myself this year.  I'll tell you how it went, @Sneezyone

We're in our spring cash-hemorrhage season here so I'm pretty sure I'll get called back for a diagnostic and expensive follow-up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, at the beach said:

And I went to the mammogram (first ever) and I got a callback for an ultrasound. They released the results to my chart and saw that I was being called back before they called to schedule. I went for the ultrasound and thankfully everything was fine. I am very relieved I followed through on all of this! 

I'm so glad you went and everything is okay!

46 minutes ago, Eos said:

Going for my first mammogram tomorrow.  Dropping this here so I don't cancel.

I don't worry about the pain as much as the radiation.  I'm so over myself this year.  I'll tell you how it went, @Sneezyone

We're in our spring cash-hemorrhage season here so I'm pretty sure I'll get called back for a diagnostic and expensive follow-up.

Good luck!  I hope you get the all clear from the first appointment and you don't have to go back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OP here- funny to see my thread bumped as it reminded me I have my yearly mammogram on Tuesday. I swear I feel like I was just there and last year was a big fuss because my covid vaccine messed with it and I had to keep going back. Hopefully I’ll get a clear reading and have all my yearly checkups up to date and on track. 

Pats on the back for everyone keeping up with their checkups! It is obviously really hard for some of us for various reasons but we all make sure lots of other people are taken care of…we definitely have to make the efforts for ourselves too.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, Frances said:

Same for me including no meds for childbirth. I find it painful but it doesn’t last long.  I think in order to get a good reading the really have to press down.

• Like 2