Menu

How much is a week of camp by you?

mommyoffive

I was looking up summer camps yesterday and were blown away by the price of camps around me.  I am in Wisconsin and looked up a YMCA residential camp.  So sleeping in cabins.  One week was $995!  I am not in a high cost of living area either!

I thought that was crazy.  I can see it for specialized camps, or travel ones, but this is just staying at the camp the whole time.  

That seems like a lot!  The sleep over ones my kids have gone to have ranged from 370-700.  They are mainly church camps, but also BSA.  I think one of the BSA camps was even less about 10 years ago.  I live in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region, so I would think we'd have higher rates than you. Are you religious? Have you looked at church camps?

11 minutes ago, freesia said:

That seems like a lot!  The sleep over ones my kids have gone to have ranged from 370-700.  They are mainly church camps, but also BSA.  I think one of the BSA camps was even less about 10 years ago.  I live in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region, so I would think we'd have higher rates than you. Are you religious? Have you looked at church camps?

Not religious.

Edited by mommyoffive

That seems really high for a YMCA camp actually.  I am just to the west of the OP.  It varies widely that I've seen, depends on the host, the venue, the  focus.  But my kids used attend a M-F Theater camp in the northern woods for about $550 for the week just prior to covid.  That was put on by an urban non-profit that had decent funding and it was held at a church's northern retreat on a lake so they got a good deal on those accomdations.  They wanted to be affordable plus they did have some sliding scale/scholarship options.  And that had really good professional staff too.  I mean that was on the low end for sure but for a basic YMCA camp where they probably really don't have specialized staff and probably a lot of young inexperienced counselors, I would expect pricing closer to that.  I mean we've also paid WAY more than that for music based camps but dang that seems really high to me for what you are getting.  

• Like 2

Residential camps in my area will run about $850 and up (to thousands of dollars) per week.  Much depends upon the counselor/camper ratio and the quality of the counselors.  To get a college student to work at a camp requires that they give up other work and internships possibilities. There are high costs of recruiting counselors, training counselors (which may change every year) and then pay them to do a 24/7 job.  For camps that cannot easily use their facilities other times of the year (but still have expenses such a property taxes, maintenance, electricity, director's salary, etc.), expenses for the entire year must be covered by the fees paid by campers in the summer.  

• Like 3

The YMCA camp that I attended as a kid (big puffy heart that place), and one of my kids has attended is $1380 for one week of traditional residential camp. It goes up from there. I think it can depend on location and the actual camp. When oldest attended, it was roughly the same cost as Space Camp in Huntsville. 

I desperately wish we could send our food allergic kids, but alas, they will miss the experience. Unless we do a weekend of “family camp” which, eh, isn’t likely!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Residential camps in my area will run about $850 and up (to thousands of dollars) per week.  Much depends upon the counselor/camper ratio and the quality of the counselors.  To get a college student to work at a camp requires that they give up other work and internships possibilities. There are high costs of recruiting counselors, training counselors (which may change every year) and then pay them to do a 24/7 job.  For camps that cannot easily use their facilities other times of the year (but still have expenses such a property taxes, maintenance, electricity, director's salary, etc.), expenses for the entire year must be covered by the fees paid by campers in the summer.  

Yep, I was a camp counselor for years, and we hardly got paid anything for the work that we did. 

I know it’s not ymca, but the Jewish camp here is $1465-4800 for the week depending on grade level (all one-week camps).

I briefly considered Epsilon camp (math) for this summer and it was close to $6000 for two weeks, but that includes the mandatory parent, as well.  I think it would be fun, but is it $6k fun??