Menu

Looking Ahead to 2022 - Day 27

Granny_Weatherwax

I have a goal to earn a minimum of 25 CEUs for my current certifications.

I would also like to read a couple of Brene Brown's books, I've listened to two as audiobooks but I think I need a print/ebook so I can take notes and chew on what she says; the audiobooks are not working for indepth listening and serious contemplation.

I need to learn more about dog training, a lot more.

• Like 5

I want to learn more about gardening, specifically wildlife gardening but also growing some food. 

I'm planning on doing a study of Dante's Divine Comedy next year; I have two translations of the book, and am collecting related/helpful materials to go along with it. I think I have said this before in this thread; I read a lot of fluff and want to seriously study something. 

I should work on career improvement but honestly at age 65 (closer now to 66), I am not into it at all.  As I've said before, I don't like my job but I feel at this point I am not going to launch a new career.  But, I may change my mind over the next few months; my life has taken so many turns I never say never anymore. 🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Education and growth (mine):

• Do at least 40 CPEs each year going forward, preferably 10 each quarter.
  • Get back to reading in various languages.  (Used to be 10, now it should be at least 11 since I am starting to learn Korean.)
  • Always be reading some serious nonfiction, classic fiction, or international book(s).
  • Always be reading or practicing something for spiritual enlightenment.
  • Start reading more of the periodic updates I get - law, substantive news, sciencey stuff, etc.
  • I'd love to do more traveling if it's feasible.
  • So many other possibilities.  Just dig deeper and deeper.
Edited by SKL
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I should work on career improvement but honestly at age 65 (closer now to 66), I am not into it at all.

I'm 55 and I feel the same way.  I want to do a great job, but I have no current desire to branch out into professional areas I'm not already pretty good at.  Maybe all those years of working 2+ full-time jobs is catching up with me.  I'm borderline burnt out.

The other thing I should probably want is to learn the stuff my kids are doing in school that I didn't do, like chemistry and physics.  Just not into it, and it's not like anyone is ever going to care.  When I was younger, or maybe in better moods, I probably would feel differently about this.

Or maybe I'm just tired right now.  Really short on sleep and long on to-do's.  Perhaps just ignore me today.  😛

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Since I will be looking for a new career, there could be training and education involved with that. I'm just not sure what direction I will go. 

I need to learn more computer skills to help with the job search. 

I can play piano a little and want to play better. I took a few years as a child and then learned to play flute and joined the band at school. I have a 5 octave keyboard with a pedal, so I plan to get some books and practice. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Professionally I am still learning on the job in an area of the business which is new to me and to which I was appointed at the beginning of the year.

I'll be assisting my daughter at uni by proofreading her papers, but I don't have any desire for formal academics for myself.

I'm committed to spending time each week crafting, so will learn new skills during the year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Learn to play the piano. This is a bucket list kind of goal. I have a gift card to purchase a keyboard so no more excuses. Definitely not self education. 

Move past the alphabet stage of learning to read and write in Urdu and Bengali. I have been stuck on this for almost 2 years 🙄

Possibly Farsi ? 

Will probably take language classes at some point because self study is not cutting it.

Make crochet and fabric ornaments.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

Education and growth:   Ladies I have no idea on this one.   While I am constantly working on my own mental and spiritual health, outside of that I have no clue.  If anyone would like to offer me some constructive advice, I will take it.    

It depends completely on your life situation and plans. My advice is to look whether any of the following might? fit you:

Do you want to acquire formal education to be promotable in a current job, or to change job fields?

Do you want to learn something you were always interested in (but couldn't make it happen for whatever reason)?

Do you want to improve your skill in a hobby pursuit? or take up a new hobby?

Do you want to read voraciously?

There's so many different spins on "education". I am sure your journey to mental and spiritual health has plenty of educational opportunities you are using. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Literature: The Literary Life podcast reading challenge. Plus a few random other reads, mostly theology and non-fiction.

Work: Orton-Gillingham training that my tutoring center is paying for. The course is in January, but the practicum will take most of a year. 

Also, I need to improve my tech skills - possibly some community college courses? My library used to offer free ones, but I think covid nixed those. 

Dd will be applying to collegein the fall, so I will be learning tons in that process! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Education and growth: As grad school consumes my life, that's pretty much my education part. For growth, I'm trying to learn Norwegian, just started again this month. I'm also trying to cram in some fun reading. I love reading history books, but I want to read some lighter books. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone new in my career, every day is going to be challenging - lots of opportunities for education and growth.  I'm starting a new job in a hospital - a totally different work environment with a wide variety of exams.  

There are several exams that I know I'm weak at since I haven't done them since clinicals so they are my first priority.  They want me up to speed so that I can take an evening shift alone and start taking call.  So, I have a list of exams that I am prioritizing during my training.  

I also have a goal of 15 CMEs this upcoming year.  They aren't required for me right now since passing my board exams satisfies the requirement for the next couple years, I want to get in the habit of refreshing my skills and keeping up on new developments.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1