Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gifted link: https://wapo.st/3p77beT

Disease detectives at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are probing a new outbreak: the roughly three-dozen coronavirus cases linked to their own annual conference last week.

“CDC is working with the Georgia Department of Health to conduct a rapid epidemiological assessment of confirmed COVID-19 cases that appear to be connected to the 2023 EIS Conference to determine transmission patterns,” CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in an email.

Nordlund said the CDC reported the cases to state health officials who have authority over the location where the conference occurred. Attendees said many people at the gathering did not mask, socially distance or take other precautions that the CDC had recommended earlier in the pandemic.

A probe...to determine that people got sick from not trying to prevent getting sick.

Sigh.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know any efficacy details about the Sanofi vaccine VidPrevtyn? My parents were just given it as a spring booster in the UK. I couldn’t really find too much about it, especially when used as a booster.

Edited by TCB
Clarify

1 hour ago, TCB said:

Does anyone know any efficacy details about the Sanofi vaccine VidPrevtyn? My parents were just given it as a spring booster in the UK. I couldn’t really find too much about it, especially when used as a booster.

The Sanofi website says this about efficacy:

The VAT08 Phase 3 Stage 2 study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating primary vaccination with a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine containing both parental (D614) and Beta strains. The results showed a 64.7% efficacy against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection in adults, regardless of their SARS-CoV-2 infection status prior to vaccination, and 75.1% efficacy in participants previously infected with SARS-CoV-2. This study was the first ever to report efficacy data in an Omicron environment.”

But that’s as a primary vaccination, not as a booster and was a relatively low powered study. I see there are a number of large trials underway with it as a booster. I did find one preprint showing antibody neutralization when used as a booster, but that’s all:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.12.02.22282931v1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

The Sanofi website says this about efficacy:

The VAT08 Phase 3 Stage 2 study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating primary vaccination with a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine containing both parental (D614) and Beta strains. The results showed a 64.7% efficacy against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection in adults, regardless of their SARS-CoV-2 infection status prior to vaccination, and 75.1% efficacy in participants previously infected with SARS-CoV-2. This study was the first ever to report efficacy data in an Omicron environment.”

But that’s as a primary vaccination, not as a booster and was a relatively low powered study. I see there are a number of large trials underway with it as a booster. I did find one preprint showing antibody neutralization when used as a booster, but that’s all:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.12.02.22282931v1

Thank you so much! I hope the booster data are as promising, and it sounds like they maybe will be. I am glad they’ve been able to get a different one this time as hopefully it will broaden their immunity. My Mom has had 2 AZ and I think 3 mRNA plus extremely mild Covid lasting 2 days at most, and my Dad has had 5 mRNA plus a pretty mild dose of Covid, although he got monoclonal antibodies at the time so maybe that was why it was so mild. I’m glad they got something new this time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

When they speak of themselves as purebloods, Lucius Malfoy pops to mind every time. One of these days I am going to smirk and get into so much trouble.

Harry Potter reference? I didn’t read or watch, but I understand the sentiment behind making a connection to something funny and not being able to suppress it, lol!

• Like 1

Yes, it's a Harry Potter reference.  There's this notion that if you are from a purely magical family that you are a pureblood.  If you are born to non-magical parents (non magical people are called Muggles), then you are a mud blood. Being called a mudblood is a very derogatory term. 

Lucius Malfoy is a super snobby posh person from a revered (and feared) magical family. He is cold and hard and believes in blood purity, thinking those who even associate with Muggles are terrible people. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

When they speak of themselves as purebloods, Lucius Malfoy pops to mind every time. One of these days I am going to smirk and get into so much trouble.

I hadn’t heard the term until I just opened that Twitter thread with my thirteen year old hanging over my shoulder. He saw the term pureblood and figured out what it meant, then he immediately said “DOES NO ONE READ HARRY POTTER ANYMORE??”  I told him those were the types of people who probably fought for banning the series because magic.

He’s stalking around the living room ranting about how the world would be a better place if more people read Harry Potter and took the lessons to heart.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 7
  • Haha 7

48 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I hadn’t heard the term until I just opened that Twitter thread with my thirteen year old hanging over my shoulder. He saw the term pureblood and figured out what it meant, then he immediately said “DOES NO ONE READ HARRY POTTER ANYMORE??”  I told him those were the types of people who probably fought for banning the series because magic.

He’s stalking around the living room ranting about how the world would be a better place if more people read Harry Potter and took the lessons to heart.

👏👏👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

In our house, we say it would be a lot nicer if everyone watched Call the Midwife and Finding Your Roots, lol! But Harry Potter might work quite well too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The CDC is greatly reducing data reporting requirements by hospitals. https://www.aha.org/special-bulletin/2023-04-27-cdc-streamline-hospital-covid-19-data-reporting-requirements

I can't help but think they are doing everything possible to keep the public from having any idea about covid spread and impact on hospitals. Since the pandemic is over, it's better to eliminate all data (and since hospitals won't require masking anymore, it's better to hide hospital acquired covid infections). Wastewater data is all that we'll have now...

I really feel like we have toddlers leading our public health agenda. But at least the CDC is going to examine the covid outbreak at the recent CDC conference, more than 3 years into the pandemic...Now the real questions is why they even tested - considering that the pandemic is over and that they encourage the rest of society to stop testing.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Amoret said:

If you're looking for a reason to keep wearing a mask, this article makes a pretty solid case for continuing to avoid infection (or reinfection):

https://johnsnowproject.org/insights/textbook-immunity/

Wow, thank you so much for linking that! Extremely well-written article, with nearly 100 references, yet totally understandable to the layman. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Wow, thank you so much for linking that! Extremely well-written article, with nearly 100 references, yet totally understandable to the layman. 

There are only a few posts on that site, but they are all quite good.

See also:

https://johnsnowproject.org/insights/merchants-of-doubt/

and

https://johnsnowproject.org/insights/the-reality-gap/

• Thanks 3

People’s CDC COVID-19 Weather Report - People's CDC (substack.com)

The Weather: While over 1,000 people continue to die from COVID each week in the US, this Thursday, May 11, 2023, marks the planned end of the Public Health Emergency (PHE). As part of a major political push to minimize public recognition of the ongoing harm of the pandemic, the end of the PHE marks a drastic reduction in COVID data tracking as well as other resources.

In the US, 26.61% of all counties are experiencing substantial or higher transmission levels based on the available data. This apparent decrease is occurring amid reductions in testing access, with further reductions anticipated with the planned end of the PHE.

image.thumb.png.347cba5be8d3467e0eb3145e2e41ab7f.png

Although the People’s CDC remains committed to educating and informing you about the state of the ongoing pandemic, the COVID transmission map may no longer be available after May 11, 2023, as CDC’s tracking of community transmission (as well as the misleading, pastel-colored community levels) ends with the end of the PHE.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I will miss the map, too. And the other resources. I wonder if this will increase the social pressure not to mask?

Our household has yet to have Covid, and we are feeling like the lone holdouts, with no idea what to expect when it does catch up with us.

We still mask in indoor public spaces, but it’s feeling lonelier and lonelier. Even our kids’ immunologist’s family had it over winter break, and they were diligent with masking. Covid was easier than they expected, so they are no longer masking.

We considered unmasking for a recent funeral, but masked at the last minute. I’ve mentioned this before, but FIL opted for no mask and caught Covid. Took it to the nursing home and set off a massive outbreak two days later with major repercussions. So we are all very personally aware that it’s still out there and impacting lives.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I will miss the map, too. And the other resources. I wonder if this will increase the social pressure not to mask?

Our household has yet to have Covid, and we are feeling like the lone holdouts, with no idea what to expect when it does catch up with us.

We still mask in indoor public spaces, but it’s feeling lonelier and lonelier. Even our kids’ immunologist’s family had it over winter break, and they were diligent with masking. Covid was easier than they expected, so they are no longer masking.

We considered unmasking for a recent funeral, but masked at the last minute. I’ve mentioned this before, but FIL opted for no mask and caught Covid. Took it to the nursing home and set off a massive outbreak two days later with major repercussions. So we are all very personally aware that it’s still out there and impacting lives.

I am the lone masker (or sometimes the next to the only masker) in many situations now.  I don't look at the maps at all anymore and don't mask because of them.  I mask because I don't want to get sick even if the transmission rates are lower.  Actually I don't even notice my mask anymore - my dentist had to remind me that I had a mask on and that I had to remove if if he was going to work on my teeth! 

• Like 5

I'm another lone masker who has yet to have had Covid. I'm trying to be so careful because our younger daughter's wedding is in two weeks, but someone in my office got sick a week ago today, became very sick, came in sick some days, and is back in the office coughing this week. All the symptoms sound like classic Covid (including loss of smell/taste). I am not happy that she didn't test, isn't masking and that we share the same space.

When I mention Covid, I immediately get a response now that "it's not bad anymore, though." Sigh.

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Sad 4

At my oncology appointment, majority of the staff aren’t masking while the patients are. The waiting area is quite full too. At my infusion center appointment, all the staff are masked and the waiting areas are large while people waiting are relatively few. Very easy to social distance there and most of the people in the waiting areas are masking.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

I'm another lone masker who has yet to have had Covid. I'm trying to be so careful because our younger daughter's wedding is in two weeks, but someone in my office got sick a week ago today, became very sick, came in sick some days, and is back in the office coughing this week. All the symptoms sound like classic Covid (including loss of smell/taste). I am not happy that she didn't test, isn't masking and that we share the same space.

When I mention Covid, I immediately get a response now that "it's not bad anymore, though." Sigh.

My dd's wedding is also in a couple of weeks. Dh and I will likely be the lone maskers (We'll take them off for the ceremony and formal pics, which will be outdoors).  We were the lone maskers at my nephew's wedding last fall. Half the wedding party and most of sil's family got covid there, so not sorry...

• Like 5

My kids have a dance show coming up.  I want to mask.  I am sure I will be one of the only ones there doing that. When they put on Nutcracker in December it was germ fest inside.  There were some masks.  Everyone hacking and coughing wasn't wearing one however.  While we have dialed down some of what we are doing I sure don't want to sit in a theater close to people who I don't know for an hour or more.  Just can't do that yet.   I feel like going to a friend's house or family doesn't give you a protective coat, but you trust them to at least tell you they are feeling sick.  

• Like 2

I was unmasked at a wedding this weekend. There were big double doors open and we were in and out, but today I’m feeling a bit off colour. I’m just so tired of being the odd one out. I kind of hoped that two/three weeks out from my booster I would be safe but now I’m not sure 😞 I am also on and off at work depending on how many students I have. It does feel much easier teaching without one. But I have a really busy term coming up and need to get through my placement so I really need to avoid being sick 

Even my parents are no longer masking and they are quite vulnerable 😞 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

I'm in a low transmission area according to that map, and an area that has been tracking fairly well but I would bet people aren't testing much anymore even though we can still get free tests.   

I am seeing a LOT of pink eye going around.   I know that was brought up as one of the effects of the newest variant but it could also be the really awful allergy season we are having.

I still have at least a couple people that mask at work every day.   Usually a couple kids and a couple parents.    It's also not uncommon to see people masking in stores.  Not the majority but more than a few.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

as unmasked at a wedding this weekend. There were big double doors open and we were in and out, but today I’m feeling a bit off colour. I’m just so tired of being the odd one out. I kind of hoped that two/three weeks out from my booster I would be safe but now I’m not sure 😞 I am also on and off at work depending on how many students I have. It does feel much easier teaching without one. But I have a really busy term coming up and need to get through my placement so I really need to avoid being sick 

Even my parents are no longer masking and they are quite vulnerable 😞 

I hope you're ok. It is so hard - I also don't know anyone else irl who masks. But two schools within an hour of us have just had to close (return to online) because of Covid. Hundreds of kids sick and too many teachers down. It is really ramping up even though it's barely mentioned in the news.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

@Ausmumof3 a friend asked me to accompany her for a walk yesterday at a trail. I was double masking (disposable and cloth) for pollen while she wasn’t. She ended up sneezing a lot and using up sheets of tissue paper as we walked.

My county is still monitoring wastewater and there is a gap between wastewater testing results and Covid testing results 

IMG_1036.thumb.jpeg.54097448fccca8556d743cbc3b9cdde5.jpeg

• Like 3

People's CDC COVID-19 Weather Report: May 15, 2023 (substack.com)

The Weather: With the end of the Public Health Emergency you will notice many changes to this week’s weather report, this is not due to an end of the COVID pandemic, but rather due to the further abandonment of public health by the capitalist class.

Changes in data collection and reporting may portray that the COVID pandemic is over, however we at the People’s CDC will continue to analyze the available data to provide you with accurate interpretations.

In the US 26.51% of all counties are experiencing substantial or higher transmission levels based on available data. While this is a notable decrease Only 6 months ago 98% of all counties were experiencing substantial or higher transmission.

It seems the Biden regime is taking the former president’s advice “If we stop testing right now, we’d have very few cases, actually. This dramatic decrease in transmission in the past 6 months is a symptom of privatization of testing and abandonment of tracking and tracing measures, rather than an accurate portrayal of the current state of COVID in the US.

image.thumb.png.6520e757c951352f80e4e348f837522b.png

• Like 4