Menu

When you can't do anything right...?

Farrar

My brother is irrational and nothing we do can ever be right. We are only marginally in touch. He has two cute little boys - 5 yo and almost 4 yo. Should I...

a) send a card, nothing else
b) send the boys a little something 
c) send nothing

No matter what I do it will be bad. "You didn't even send a card for Christmas!" "So rude to send a gift for the boys that we didn't need!" "That picture book was offensive!" "That card message was so offensive. Who sends that!" With that in mind...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Either a or b -- depending on...

- How well you know the boys and how well they know you. (Would they recognize and remember your name as a gift giver?)

- How much you care about them, really, as individual little persons, not as their roles (people you are related to) or as extensions of your relationship with your brother.

- How much they might or might not be needing things (and not always getting them) or wanting things (that would enrich their lives).

• Like 3

They're fine financially. No real needs. We don't know the boys that well. They're so little and we haven't seen them since the summer before Covid.

I don't actually assume that the kids will flee when they get older. He's a good dad. Their mom is a good mom. He's just deeply irrational with my mom and me. Yes, obviously that doesn't come from nothing so who knows. But it's not like I need to stockpile for them to one day flee a crazy parent. It's just... a bad situation for us.

Definitely agree it's not their fault. But also, they're so little. They barely know who we are at this point, I'm sure. And like I said, I've love to send them a little book each or something, but it's not like they're wanting for anything. They attend a ritzy private school.

Send a card with a little something for the boys. It's true they don't know you, but that little something will put a smile on their faces. Each year they will be happy to hear from you. As they get older they'll joke with each other as brothers about it. When they hang out with you someday, they'll be delighted to get to know the kind aunt who always sent them a little something.

(My kids have a kind adopted aunt who did this. Though she lives quite a distance from us and they've only met her three times, they love her.)

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Farrar said:

They're fine financially. No real needs. We don't know the boys that well. They're so little and we haven't seen them since the summer before Covid.

I don't actually assume that the kids will flee when they get older. He's a good dad. Their mom is a good mom. He's just deeply irrational with my mom and me. Yes, obviously that doesn't come from nothing so who knows. But it's not like I need to stockpile for them to one day flee a crazy parent. It's just... a bad situation for us.

Definitely agree it's not their fault. But also, they're so little. They barely know who we are at this point, I'm sure. And like I said, I've love to send them a little book each or something, but it's not like they're wanting for anything. They attend a ritzy private school.

In my family dynamic I have a family who could be described as rich and who have given their kids a posh life. Also, those same parents will cut those kids off without a penny if they ever don’t completely bow to their parents’ wishes as to where to go to university, where to go to church, and so on. I don’t think money will solve having to be self sufficient—it’s a good will gesture. 

I don’t know if your situation is parallel—just wanted to flesh out the details a bit more as to why that was my recommendation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In my family dynamic I have a family who could be described as rich and who have given their kids a posh life. Also, those same parents will cut those kids off without a penny if they ever don’t completely bow to their parents’ wishes as to where to go to university, where to go to church, and so on. I don’t think money will solve having to be self sufficient—it’s a good will gesture. 

I don’t know if your situation is parallel—just wanted to flesh out the details a bit more as to why that was my recommendation.

Probably not, luckily. I mean, you never know. But we'll see. I see some very different potential issues, but I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Is he married?  If you want to have a relationship with the boys, I would work on having a relationship with their mother.  I would send them a little something if you're sure they will actually receive it.  - figits are always fun.  My grandson goes nuts over small trains/cars/etc.  carries them all over. micro machine goes to bed with him . . .  (he has more than enough "stuff". more. than. enough.)

• Like 1

I'd say 'a', but have your kids choose/make the card(s) and then explicitly tell the parents in a note in the card that your kids picked the whole thing out. If he has unkind things to say about the whole thing make him say it to his nieces/nephews. You mentioned he's a good dad, so I'm going to suppose he's a good uncle and he won't be rude to your kids. 

• Like 3

Okay, thanks for these thoughts, everyone. I think I'm going to send the kids each their own card, maybe with Christmas stickers, temporary tattoos, and balloons so it's extra fun to open. And I'll pretend like we're Christmas card people and send the parents a card too. We're not Christmas card people, but I can fake it.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

My brother is irrational and nothing we do can ever be right. We are only marginally in touch. He has two cute little boys - 5 yo and almost 4 yo. Should I...

a) send a card, nothing else
b) send the boys a little something 
c) send nothing

No matter what I do it will be bad. "You didn't even send a card for Christmas!" "So rude to send a gift for the boys that we didn't need!" "That picture book was offensive!" "That card message was so offensive. Who sends that!" With that in mind...

Wow. I have no words. I guess the question is how will you feel about whichever choice after the fact? Taking pleasing him off the table, what choice works for you? Because any choice is going to receive criticism. Sigh. I’m sorry you deal with this. 

• Thanks 1