Menu

Where do you think Brian Laundrie is?

Scarlett

I am under the dryer at the hair salon…. My ‘break’ from kitchen remodeling today. 

I wish they would find him.  I bet he told his parents some big lie about what happened to Gabby and they are helping him because they think he did not really  kill her .  Or else they are just wicked people. 🤷🏻‍♀️

They’re wicked people. You don’t simply allow another family to suffer as they have.

I have no idea where he is, but my husband and people he knows have this bizarre idea that it’s now unsafe to be on the Appalachian Trail. As if it’s a small town rather than thousands of miles.

It makes me wonder, does anyone else who’s lived their life in close proximity to the trail have this notion that everything that happens on it relates to them, specifically???

19 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

It makes me wonder, does anyone else who’s lived their life in close proximity to the trail have this notion that everything that happens on it relates to them, specifically???

We hike parts of the AT near Springer Mountain on the regular, and have no real concern.  Bad people do bad things everywhere. 
I know someone thinks they saw him on the AT recently but has that been confirmed? I thought his dad was showing law enforcement the trails in Florida where they usually hike. 
Where is he? Who knows. But the longer this goes on the more I worry that when he’s located the capture will go badly and he’ll be hurt…or worse. 

At a hotel in the Orlando area under someone else's name, or maybe his parents company.  Or possibly hiding in a friend or relative's house.

I do not think he is driving around the TN border, or anywhere near a campground or the AT.  I don't think he ever returned from his family camping trip.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

At a hotel in the Orlando area under someone else's name, or maybe his parents company.  Or possibly hiding in a friend or relative's house.

I do not think he is driving around the TN border, or anywhere near a campground or the AT.  I don't think he ever returned from his family camping trip.

The hotel in Orlando theory has some interesting parts to it if you are following the theories.  

I, too, think he used the campground trip to escape.  His parents have helped him and are/were suppling the money.  If he is still in the US, I would be surprised.  I think he is not in the country.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Katy said:

Agree. It’s October- the southern part of the AT is CROWDED right now…leaf lookers, hikers, tourists…not a great place to hide.  If he’s at a hotel, someone is helping him. Even if he’s using food delivery services, it would be hard to not be seen.

9 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

The hotel in Orlando theory has some interesting parts to it if you are following the theories.  

I, too, think he used the campground trip to escape.  His parents have helped him and are/were suppling the money.  If he is still in the US, I would be surprised.  I think he is not in the country.  

I agree…..I would bet he’s out of the US.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

The secret-bunker-under-the-garden-bed theory has been oddly entertaining.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/08/brian-laundrie-hunt-tiktokers-say-hes-hiding-under-parents-garden/

What was more interesting about that was how many comments I saw on a different article that said "There's no basements in Florida" vs "I'm a realtor in Miami and yes there are!"

Never mind that Coral Gables & Miami are the only places in the states where the water table isn't sometimes 18" below ground (obvious seasonal fluctuations).

And how many people argued he'd be eaten by an alligator in a matter of days. Alligators don't eat fresh meat, and alligators are usually afraid of people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Using the camping trip to escape makes sense BUT I thought he was seen by a neighbor on Sunday (12th) or Monday the (13th). 

I think his family is helping him but do they have the money for a long term run from authorities?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I think his family is helping him but do they have the money for a long term run from authorities?

Or the sophistication to help someone disappear! How does the average person know how to do that? I probably wouldn't even know how to buy a burner phone, let alone help someone flee the region…or country!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If he's a smart criminal he's headed for a non-extradition country, but I don't think he's a smart criminal.  A smart criminal doesn't leave their victim's body at a campsite.  They don't use their victim's debit card.  They don't drive the victim's vehicle.  They don't go home.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

If he's a smart criminal he headed for a non-extradition country, but I don't think he's a smart criminal.  A smart criminal doesn't leave their victim's body at a campsite.  They don't use their victim's debit card.  They don't drive the victim's vehicle.  They don't go home.

Agree.  I read a profilers thoughts in this….BL ran for the comfort of his parents when he was in trouble.  He is somewhere now where he feels comfortable. 

25 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

If he's a smart criminal he's headed for a non-extradition country, but I don't think he's a smart criminal.  A smart criminal doesn't leave their victim's body at a campsite.  They don't use their victim's debit card.  They don't drive the victim's vehicle.  They don't go home.

He might not be a smart criminal but doesn’t mean his parents aren’t.  Some will go so far to protect their child even if they know the child is guilty.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

We hike parts of the AT near Springer Mountain on the regular, and have no real concern.  Bad people do bad things everywhere. 
I know someone thinks they saw him on the AT recently but has that been confirmed? I thought his dad was showing law enforcement the trails in Florida where they usually hike. 
Where is he? Who knows. But the longer this goes on the more I worry that when he’s located the capture will go badly and he’ll be hurt…or worse. 

his dad.  Smh. . . .  The man who had been fairly uncooperative with law enforcement before he and his wife were hauled off to be questioned.
I don't trust that man, I especially don't trust him to tell the truth.  This is his son - accused of murder.  What reason is there to think he'd actually do the right thing - vs helping his son escape?

Why are you worried about the ending?  BL *could* have turned himself in with the family's NYC ** lawyer at his side.  He chose to run.  (I firmly believe his parents are helping him.

** - that his parents, who live in FL, have a NYC lawyer implies money.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I thought they found a fresh campsite at that reserve in Florida.   Did they rule that out?   
I think he's somewhere familiar to him.    Probably has a camo sleeping tent, one that's only a couple feet high and with netting.   Probably miserable.  I hope.  

Did they prove it was BL that set up the campsite?

Alright, I just looked real quick and found this.... https://news.yahoo.com/police-found-remnants-campsite-closed-103425219.html

it says that a Laundrie family source told CNN that a campsite was found, but then the police spokesman said no.    I think it's possible a campsite was found and the police don't want brian to find out they found it and so they squashed that rumor.   Or maybe police didn't want people to start running to the preserve to try and find him, like dog the bounty hunter or just anybody really.   *however, all that is just my 'hunch', which means absolutely nothing*.   I just really think he's somewhere he considers familiar and safe enough to get to family once (he thinks) everything dies down.  

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

his dad.  Smh. . . .  The man who had been fairly uncooperative with law enforcement before he and his wife were hauled off to be questioned.
I don't trust that man, I especially don't trust him to tell the truth.  This is his son - accused of murder.  What reason is there to think he'd actually do the right thing - vs helping his son escape?

Why are you worried about the ending?  BL *could* have turned himself in with the family's NYC ** lawyer at his side.  He chose to run.  (I firmly believe his parents are helping him.

** - that his parents, who live in FL, have a NYC lawyer implies money.

I worry about the ending because if emotions are too high and he gets shot and killed there’s too much chance it’ll morph into sympathy for BL. And I have no sympathy for him. Or his parents!

If they have infused him with enough cash to be off grid for a while, it isn't that hard to disappear. He could easily change his appearance without much effort, even with a more feminine look, wig or toupee, change clothing styles try to pass as a woman which really can be done with a little make up, sunglass, head scarf, loose skirt and oversized sweatshirt, shaved legs, unisex tennis shoes or sandals. Don't talk to strangers stay aloof, pay cash, move around a lot. He only needs to change his appearance enough that he doesn't meet the description of Landrie very wrll. Burner phones are just pay as you go phones available in many stores including the ever present Dollar General. If he buys them one at a time and doesn't replace from the same store, buys minutes on cards (those are available all over the place), doesn't make reservations using credit cards, he could stay on the lam a long time. Numerous mom and pop shop, independent motels will take cash, they prefer cash because their profit margins are low, and not paying the credit card company saves money. But even if he needed a card, he could buy a Visa Gift Card with cash at a Walmart, and refill it with cash anywhere. He can sign the back of it with any name he likes, and it is rare that cashiers ask to see id's for gift cards.

He may not be smart. But that doesn't mean that someone smart has not counseled him. Given the actions of the parents, I am fairly sure he has had help. The main thing is cash, cash, cash, and not meeting the physical description. My guess is that if he is in an agricultural area, he can get work for cash under the table should he run out. Even in my area, there are numerous farmers who will take someone on for temporary work without a question, without a background check, without an ID. He might not like the work, but he could do it. That said, I think right now he is somewhere comfy per mommy and daddy.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

He might not be a smart criminal but doesn’t mean his parents aren’t.  Some will go so far to protect their child even if they know the child is guilty.  

That's not the same thing though.  Relying on someone who isn't exactly a genius to stick to the plan you gave them is tough enough, but add in all the variables that happen outside of the plan on a daily basis and you need your wits about you to stay ahead of a highly publicized manhunt. His instincts are all wrong and Mommy and Daddy can't advise him continuously.

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Alright, I just looked real quick and found this.... https://news.yahoo.com/police-found-remnants-campsite-closed-103425219.html

it says that a Laundrie family source told CNN that a campsite was found, but then the police spokesman said no.    I think it's possible a campsite was found and the police don't want brian to find out they found it and so they squashed that rumor.   Or maybe police didn't want people to start running to the preserve to try and find him, like dog the bounty hunter or just anybody really.   *however, all that is just my 'hunch', which means absolutely nothing*.   I just really think he's somewhere he considers familiar and safe enough to get to family once (he thinks) everything dies down.  

Or maybe there was no campsite at all.  The source was someone "close to the Laundrie family".  (the Laundrie family's behavior has implied they are helping their son/brother, and what they can to hinder law enforcement.)   The person could have simply been misinformed, or they could have been attempting to muddy the waters by feeding the media false information - knowing it would be broadcast to the public.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

That's not the same thing though.  Relying on someone who isn't exactly a genius to stick to the plan you gave them is tough enough, but add in all the variables that happen outside of the plan on a daily basis and you need your wits about you to stay ahead of a highly publicized manhunt. His instincts are all wrong and Mommy and Daddy can't advise him continuously.

Actually, he would be the perfect person.  Not exactly a genius but smart enough to take orders/advice from his parents for quite awhile. Especially if cash was involved. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Actually, he would be the perfect person.  Not exactly a genius but smart enough to take orders/advice from his parents for quite awhile. Especially if cash was involved. 

Not all all.  Quite the opposite. He's not hanging out with them. He can't talk to them because I'm sure they're being constantly surveilled. It's going to require a lot of intelligent responses to an ever changing situation and he'll have to navigate that on his own.  His face is all over the news in the US.  He's not a survivalist, he's a hiker and camper. Any cash he has will run out and he'll have to figure things out on his own.  This is a grown man whose instinct was to run in the victim's vehicle to his parents' house.  What an idiot.  If he had any brains at all, which he doesn't, he would've ditched that vehicle immediately and gone somewhere he'd never been before and not contacted anyone he knew.  This guy did exactly the opposite.  It's just a matter of time. I bet his parents know it's just a matter of time.  In spite of anything they did on his behalf and any advice he was given, he'll screw it up sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Not all all.  Quite the opposite. He's not hanging out with them. He can't talk to them because I'm sure they're being constantly surveilled. It's going to require a lot of intelligent responses to an ever changing situation and he'll have to navigate that on his own.  His face is all over the news in the US.  He's not a survivalist, he's a hiker and camper. Any cash he has will run out and he'll have to figure things out on his own.  This is a grown man whose instinct was to run in the victim's vehicle to his parents' house.  What an idiot.  If he had any brains at all, which he doesn't, he would've ditched that vehicle immediately and gone somewhere he'd never been before and not contacted anyone he knew.  This guy did exactly the opposite.  It's just a matter of time. I bet his parents know it's just a matter of time.  In spite of anything they did on his behalf and any advice he was given, he'll screw it up sooner rather than later.

I think you are underestimating the parents and him.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the parents also have others helping him.  Especially if he is not in the  US anymore.  While he will screw up eventually and get caught, he could go for quite awhile.  Even in the US, there are places that an appearance change and taking a day laborer job, could easily get him some money.  If he went to Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Republic or somewhere in South America, he could not even have to change his appearance much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He couldn't have flown elsewhere, he was put on a no-fly list before they found her body.  He's on the Interpol watch list too. If he'd legally flown anywhere we'd already know. 

I don't think he could legally be in Canada, though he could have walked across the border in an unpopulated area.  Most of Canada is going to be pretty cold very soon though. 

I agree with Dog the Bounty Hunter that it's unlikely he's in Mexico.  The cartels would be on the lookout for him for the reward money, he's obviously white and can't speak Spanish.

He could absolutely be on a boat in the Bahamas somewhere.  That's only a few hour boat ride from Florida.  Or really he could be anywhere in the Caribbean after this many weeks missing. IDK if he knows anything about sailing though, and in a power boat he'd have to stop for fuel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I think you are underestimating the parents and him.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the parents also have others helping him.  Especially if he is not in the  US anymore.  While he will screw up eventually and get caught, he could go for quite awhile.  Even in the US, there are places that an appearance change and taking a day laborer job, could easily get him some money.  If he went to Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Republic or somewhere in South America, he could not even have to change his appearance much. 

I agree with you. He could be stupid, but his parents seem savvy. On top of that, the Vanlife crowd is a bunch of usually very smart millenials and genz. We have been around these folks a lot. They are frugal and very adept at living off grid when they want to. Brian and Gabby engaged with the crowd that is into dispersed - ie. free - camping on national lands, and that requires some skill at roughing it, especially without an RV with amenities that run off batteries. We have been around these kinds of young people. So again, he may not be naturally savvy, but that doesn't mean he has not learned some stuff from others. Parents with money, connections, and corrupt friends should not be discounted. And again, it really just is not that hard to buy and use burner phones which can't be traced, nor change one's appearance. People seem to think it is very hard. It isn't. And the crime shows on t.v. are pathetically unrealistic. Facial recognition is not as sophisticated as represented, the number of Leo's devoted to nothing but staring a security camera footage is actually low, and there are definitely cash over the barrel jobs available. Montana is on a course to reinstate the death penalty which I would think will make him rather motivated to not be found, and may also be a bit of impetus for the parents behavior. If he is already out of country, due to privacy laws in other nations, Western Union does not trace receivers. So he can get cash from someone that way, and the US cannot trace It to him. They can trace a US based sender, but they could easily have a friend do it. The court does not give out blanket warrants to trace the financial transactions of every friend and family member of people who have not even been charged with crimes. He could stay on the loose for quite a while. Then again he might be dumb. But I wouldn't bet the farm on that. You can be sure when he showed up at daddy and mummy's house with her van and an attorney was engaged so promptly, he was brought up to speed on his stupid moves.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Katy said:

He couldn't have flown elsewhere, he was put on a no-fly list before they found her body.  He's on the Interpol watch list too. If he'd legally flown anywhere we'd already know. 

I don't think he could legally be in Canada, though he could have walked across the border in an unpopulated area.  Most of Canada is going to be pretty cold very soon though. 

I agree with Dog the Bounty Hunter that it's unlikely he's in Mexico.  The cartels would be on the lookout for him for the reward money, he's obviously white and can't speak Spanish.

He could absolutely be on a boat in the Bahamas somewhere.  That's only a few hour boat ride from Florida.  Or really he could be anywhere in the Caribbean after this many weeks missing. IDK if he knows anything about sailing though, and in a power boat he'd have to stop for fuel.

Sailing, I doubt. But speedboat, maybe. You can buy fuel at a lot of marinas with cash. If he changes his appearance enough, he probably wouldn't be reported. And you don't have to pay at the pump at a gas station. You can buy fuel with cash. A lot of folks who live on a tight budget pay cash in order to not over spend. Now that said, if he doesn't know much about boating, then my guess is he won't try it. Things like not understanding all the buoy, flags, and signage, can mean making a big mistake and ending up with sheriff water patrol or coast guard citing the boat operator. What he could have done though is changed his appearance, and paid cash for a private charter boat to take him to the Bahamas and drop him.

38 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Montana is on a course to reinstate the death penalty which I would think will make him rather motivated to not be found,  

Gabby was last seen in the Tetons - Wyoming.  Her body was found in Wyoming - it has the death penalty already.

I think his parents are helping him.   I doubt he's in the reserve where they've been searching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I am a little confused about whether FBI were following him when he disappeared. 

I don’t think the authorities would have spent so much time in the reserve if they did not have reason to believe he was there. 

Oh, he knows the reserve well enough to be aware of where the cameras are.  I’m sure he trudged past a few of them on purpose. And rumor has it someone out there has been periodically pinging cell phone towers and they have reason to believe it’s him.  

But I doubt he’s still out there.  Not because he couldn’t be; personally I think it’s easier to survive in a swap than anywhere else in the USA.  Maybe because I spent half my childhood at the edge of a swamp. There’s an abundance of food.  You can purify swamp water to drink or hand-drive a manual pump well in less than an hour. There’s a lot of dangerous animals out there but the only two that are aggressive are cotton mouths and boars. The others avoid humans. 

Anyway, that would be uncomfortable and according to his family he likes to camp, but he’s not a survivalist. Much easier and not much more expensive to get a VRBO or extended stay hotel or crash in a relative’s guest house. He’s pretty slim.  With body hair removal and a wig it would be very easy to look like a woman. 

Who here has purchased a "burner phone" lately? Like, in the last couple of years?

Just wondering because the last time we bought some, they required "registering" to get them up & running. This was with tracfone so maybe other services don't require that? It used to be easy to buy/use a burner phone but that is no longer my experience.

16 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I am a little confused about whether FBI were following him when he disappeared. 

I don’t think the authorities would have spent so much time in the reserve if they did not have reason to believe he was there. 

There's no way anyone was tracking him.   If they were, they should be fired.  

This is what I read and saw on cnn 

<<<CNN) -- Police in North Port, Florida, were surveilling Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito's fiancé, as best as they could legally before he vanished, police spokesperson Josh Taylor told CNN's Randi Kaye on Thursday.>>>

The article was dated oct 7. 

https://www.cbs58.com/news/new-details-of-brian-laundries-movements-emerge-as-officials-find-recent-campsite-in-florida-reserve

I think he's dead and has been for a while. I don't know where (probably somewhere outdoors) and I don't exactly when, but my guess is not too long after he went missing.

I think his parents believe he's dead as well which is why they asked for help finding him. They want a body to bury. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chelli said:

I think he's dead and has been for a while. I don't know where (probably somewhere outdoors) and I don't exactly when, but my guess is not too long after he went missing.

I think his parents believe he's dead as well which is why they asked for help finding him. They want a body to bury. 

I think there's a good chance you're right.  

• Like 2

Not in the swamp or the AT. IMO, the swamp was a red herring of his parents creation to protect their ahole son and give him more time to escape. He has $1000 of Gabby's money and probably a stack of the enabling parents cash too to hide out on. I hope there is a way in the end the parents can do some time in prison for their part in this as well (if it can be proven they did as I speculate). It is appalling that the authorites were not called immediately when to creep came home with her van without her! I have no sympathy for them whatsoever even if he is dead.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, Annie G said:

Or the sophistication to help someone disappear! How does the average person know how to do that? I probably wouldn't even know how to buy a burner phone, let alone help someone flee the region…or country!

Burner phones are easy.  Our governor who resigned and took a plea and he was old, knew how to get them.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

True survivalists do not believe he is in that reserve.  

Who is a true survivalist who actually has experience in a swamp who says that?

Everyone I know who grew up in rural Florida agrees it would be easy to survive out there.  It's people not familiar with it who think it's hard.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 4:06 PM, Katy said:

And how many people argued he'd be eaten by an alligator in a matter of days. Alligators don't eat fresh meat, and alligators are usually afraid of people.

What do you mean by alligators don't eat fresh meat? They kill and eat their own catch. They will store big kills in the water until they are, um, easier to eat, but definitely munch smaller kills in the moment. 

Alligators don't generally see people as prey, but ime that doesn't translate into being afraid of people. They'll stroll across nature trails, golf courses, and the occasional neighborhood around here with no concern for the humans, lol. 

None of that makes if very likely that Laundrie would be killed by an alligator, of course, no matter where he is. The number of people killed by alligators usually averages less than one per year in the states. 

• Like 2

Just now, katilac said:

What do you mean by alligators don't eat fresh meat? They kill and eat their own catch. They will store big kills in the water until they are, um, easier to eat, but definitely munch smaller kills in the moment. 

Alligators don't generally see people as prey, but ime that doesn't translate into being afraid of people. They'll stroll across nature trails, golf courses, and the occasional neighborhood around here with no concern for the humans, lol. 

None of that makes if very likely that Laundrie would be killed by an alligator, of course, no matter where he is. The number of people killed by alligators usually averages less than one per year in the states. 

This is gross, but I don't know how to describe it without being gross. Alligators don't have the digestive system to eat fresh meat.  They catch prey, roll underwater until it is drowned.  They they typically put the prey under a branch to weigh it down. Sometimes when a person is attacked a limb or something comes off in the process, but generally they remain intact, under brush, for 2-3 weeks until they are rotten enough to be eaten.

The FBI either thought that was a possibility or they thought Brian disposed of evidence there in the park, or they wouldn't have sent in dive teams.  It is unusual at this time of year for a person to be attacked by an alligator.  There is an abundance of food when water is high, though if you accidentally got between a mother & babies maybe.  If you look in the overhead shots, you'll see circular holes that are literally alligator holes.  They dig them when the water is high, then when dry season comes and the water (and fish and turtles and mammals who need to drink) need water, they come right to the gator.

There are also islands (called hammocks) where the ground is raised a foot or two above the rest of the swamp.  In the hammocks you'll find live oak trees that are ideal to string a camping hammock up on.  The island is dry but surrounded by food and water.  The oaks are so thick and the number of boars (wild pigs) are so high that it would be difficult to find a human even using a heat camera at night.

The tannins in the water make the water black and look gross, but if you purify it, it's fine to drink. And it's filled with fish and small game and edible plants.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't easy to die from suicide in a swamp and not be found pretty quickly.  I had a relative die this way.  The buzzards circle so high overhead that anyone looking can be found in a matter of hours.  You can see them for miles, circling and waiting their turn.  Hence finding the other suicide victim so fast.

I haven't followed his story aside from tidbits in the news. I think that it is possible that someone in the Vanlife world is likely harboring or aiding him. It would be easy for him to move about the country unseen in a camper style van. Some people who live off the grid, do so to evade authorities. IF he has money or resources, there are people willing to give passage with no questions asked.  I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT saying that Vanlife people are fugitives, but people who prefer to live off the grid, don't always do it for ecological reasons. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

This is gross, but I don't know how to describe it without being gross. Alligators don't have the digestive system to eat fresh meat.  They catch prey, roll underwater until it is drowned.  They they typically put the prey under a branch to weigh it down. Sometimes when a person is attacked a limb or something comes off in the process, but generally they remain intact, under brush, for 2-3 weeks until they are rotten enough to be eaten.

I don't think that's right, though; I think it's a misconception as to why they keep prey underwater sometimes - to make large prey easier to tear apart and eat, not because they can't digest fresh meat. 

Alligators will definitely swallow small prey whole, so I'd be interested in anything saying they can't digest fresh meat. I saw one chomp down on a swimming snake once, very cool! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1