Menu

Where to give away books?

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I have around 3000 books. We are downsizing significantly and some just have to go—but where?

No Goodwill locally and the Salvation Armies are not accepting donations as they’re completely overwhelmed. No little free libraries. I’ve advertised on FB as book giveaways.  Libraries are not accepting donations. I shudder at just dumping them but…any ideas I’m not thinking of? 
I could just make room for them in the new house if my husband’s construction tools mysteriously disappeared, but then I might mysteriously disappear…or at least my marriage might….

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

No used bookstores that would accept a donation anywhere in reasonable driving distance? 

I have placed many books by listing them for free on facebooked. 

About 2.5 hours one way.  And they want you to leave them and come back 24 hours later to get the ones they didn’t buy.

Ive been listing. I may just keep trying. I have a ton of lhousehold goods and stuff that I can’t get rid of either.

Every place is overwhelmed with donations. A lot of peolple spent last year cleaning out.

• Like 1

I've donated to homeless shelters/crisis pregnancy centers/domestic violence shelter that were THRILLED to have books or other educational materials available for a range of ages.  The director of one of the shelters said many times they have moms with older children who are temporarily unable to attend their normal school because of their circumstances-- she was very happy to have *anything* that could be used for those children and their moms.

• Like 2

That's too big of a volume for fast disposal by any of the means that I use.

But just some ideas in case you have not thought of them:

I give away a lot of books on our local Buy Nothing list.  I group them in categories, photograph them, name the group, and say 'Please take all".  In my circle that means all or nothing.  The practical limit of a group, though, is only about 6-10 at a time.  

We have a bunch of Little Free Libraries locally and I carry books to donate with me whenever I go anywhere.  When I see a LFL I drop a few in.  Practical limit, though, is about 5.  There is almost never room for more than that in any single one.

I put books two deep in my bookshelves.  

I keep an eye out for new coops starting up.  Sometimes they want to build libraries.

Ask your pediatrician’s office if they would like them.  Ask your local elementary schools & teachers. Many elementary teachers I know feel like they’re hemorrhaging books. 

If there are Catholic churches in your area look for a St Vincent dePaul store.  They’re like goodwill but provide things for free to people in need (including kids in foster care). They sell to people who can afford to pay. 

I posted on our local school’s FB group. It’s nice books like Because of Winn-Dixie and Little Bear collection and Paddington.  I just have to cull down to about 1500 books.  
The real issue is that I don’t actually want to get rid of any, because they’re all loved and lovely books, but we’re going from about 2500 square feet to 1300/1400.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I posted on our local school’s FB group. It’s nice books like Because of Winn-Dixie and Little Bear collection and Paddington.  I just have to cull down to about 1500 books.  
The real issue is that I don’t actually want to get rid of any, because they’re all loved and lovely books, but we’re going from about 2500 square feet to 1300/1400.

There is no shame in boxing them up for an attic or even storage.  If you really love them and that is a thing, it's a reasonable expenditure for now.  You might feel differently later, and that would be a great time to do this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Fingerlakes area.

I’d be open to posting and shipping if the new owner covered shipping and promised to love my books.

There are places called Bright Red Bookshelf in the Buffalo and Rochester area, but the main one is in Ithaca. I am in Pittsford. They may also go by Red Bookshelf or Little Red Bookshelf. I think they still accept books for kids at several places. It's part of the Family Reading Partnership. 

Put them out at your curb, with a FREE sign.
Post them as Free on local FB Marketplace (or even on your personal FB page).

I'm on our local library board, and we didn't advertise that we were accepting donations, but we unlocked the donation bin.  😉

I'm astounded at the lack of interest in your local community!
Veterans, Homeless Shelters, Thrift Stores, Back to Homeschool Mtgs this month.

What a problem to have!

Dang it.  I was all ready to give a bunch of books away, and someone asked me a question about Renaissance history and I started really looking at my logic stage collection seriously, and…I like them.  For ME.  

And they are mostly in a big office suite that I badly need to clear out before the lease is up, my plans for which did not include installing a library in my home beyond the many shelves we already have.  Not going to be easy.

• Like 1

Have you considered advertising a "free yard sale"? Put all the books out then, see if people take them.

Or... when are you moving? If you can store them until Halloween I have actually moved some serious volume of books by giving them out to trick or treaters. If they're children's books, I mean.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Have you considered advertising a "free yard sale"? Put all the books out then, see if people take them.

Or... when are you moving? If you can store them until Halloween I have actually moved some serious volume of books by giving them out to trick or treaters. If they're children's books, I mean.

Wait. What? Halloween?? Mind blown.

What a wonderful idea! Wow. That’s just … why didn’t I think of that? Do you just pop them in the kids’ ToT bags, or do you do anything else to make them Halloween-y? Totally planning this for this October!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

What a wonderful idea! Wow. That’s just … why didn’t I think of that? Do you just pop them in the kids’ ToT bags, or do you do anything else to make them Halloween-y? Totally planning this for this October!

We have that here, it’s a thing.  There are drives for books months beforehand.  There is a local charity organized to do this, called Books for Treats.  You might look at their website.  It’s really cool.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sorted them roughly into groups - picture books here, chapter books there, YA over there - and encouraged every trick or treater to take as many books as they wanted. I just wanted to clear out my old stock of things the kids were never gonna read again and that I didn't care about saving for the future.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

That’s awesome!!  We are too rural for ToT’ers at the new house but my MIL always gets quite the crowd and can move some lol.

I found two teachers that got moved to middle school who took some for their classroom libraries.  The rest I think I’m just going to keep and find a place for.  Apparently I am a book hoarder. 

• Like 3

There were some great ideas upthread. 

Other than the battered women's shelter,

Maybe the social service agency that does foster placements?

Local big brothers/big sisters organization or volunteer tutoring organization (we have one here called WhizKids)

Ronald McDonald house (if there is one) or other long term residential care for kids like St. Jude's Children's Hospital

Police station for when they have to care for kids temporarily (Maybe?)

Local play therapy/talk therapy provider for kids.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

That’s awesome!!  We are too rural for ToT’ers at the new house but my MIL always gets quite the crowd and can move some lol.

I found two teachers that got moved to middle school who took some for their classroom libraries.  The rest I think I’m just going to keep and find a place for.  Apparently I am a book hoarder. 

Book hoarders unite!

• Like 2