Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

13 hours ago, Dianthus said:

I thought alcohol was illegal there?

The UAE, and especially Dubai, has a strong interest in tourism and they make it pretty easy for tourists to drink.  Gulf countries have different rules regarding alcohol depending on lots of factors.  It's pretty hard (but not absolutely impossible) to get alcohol in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, for example, but you can buy it in Bahrain, the UAE, Qatar, and Oman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dianthus said:

it is not - it is very controlled.

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

Can I Drink Alcohol in Dubai? All the dos and don'ts of 2023! - Exploring Emirates

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amira said:

The UAE, and especially Dubai, has a strong interest in tourism and they make it pretty easy for tourists to drink.  Gulf countries have different rules regarding alcohol depending on lots of factors.  It's pretty hard (but not absolutely impossible) to get alcohol in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, for example, but you can buy it in Bahrain, the UAE, Qatar, and Oman.

I chuckle that the world's most expensive (and guady) Christmas tree was in a muslim country.  UAE . . . 'cause . . . tourism.

15 hours ago, Dianthus said:

It's legal for tourists and is served in bars, restaurants, and hotels that cater to tourists. I assume that's where they'd be using the glacier ice. It's also possible to get a special license that allows you to purchase bottles of alcohol from designated providers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Do you have to local to understand the first name (play on weatherman, hockey player, etc.)?

Fun contest!

Seems he is a musician who asked his fans to vote for his name: 

"A social media plea from Arkells’s lead singer Max Kerman, to have his name emboldened on one of 10 city of Hamilton snowplows, worked. An entry based on the Hamilton musician’s name garnered the most votes in a campaign by the transportation operations and maintenance team to pick monickers for its first annual “Name The Plow” initiative."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Do you have to local to understand the first name (play on weatherman, hockey player, etc.)?

Fun contest!

Max Kermanator is named for a member of a local band, who campaigned for the name on social media.

Icekee Wee Wee is a play on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football team's traditional fan cheering chant "Oskee Wee Wee"

HAMBONI is a portmanteau or Hamilton and Zamboni ice surfacer machine.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

image.thumb.png.3a2742865cdf3e2a6bfce035eebf1ab1.pngOr the radio

TV or radio.  (that was my day.)

Somewhere in between TV/Radio and texts - were the robocalls saying school was cancelled.
I did all three with my own kids.. . .

21 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

TV or radio.  (that was my day.)

Yep. I well remember being hunched over the radio, scanning with the manual dial between stations and static, hoping to hear the long alphabetical list of schools. 🙂 

Crazy how different life was. 

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

Yep. I well remember being hunched over the radio, scanning with the manual dial between stations and static, hoping to hear the long alphabetical list of schools. 🙂 

Crazy how different life was. 

Alphabetical?  I knew you were a youngling!  

i swear in my area there was no alphabetical order, and districts were too cheap to pay the radio stations to announce when they were open, so you'd have to listen over and over in case maybe missed it, or maybe they closed since the last time they went through the whole list.  

Of course, I also listened in a district that had a reputation for closing at the very last minute.  I can remember my mother chasing down the sidewalk to call us back when school closed so late that we'd already started walking.  And in case you walked 5 miles up hill both ways to school, I should clarify that I walked 3 city blocks, and it was flat, so they were literally calling for closing at 8:50 when school opened at 9:00.  

Edited by Drama Llama
It's probably good that my kids go to school, because I can't write a coherent sentence!
  • Haha 3