Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's one of the most famous poems of all time?  I don't think so. . .

Maybe not "of all time" - but it is certainly one of the most famous, and most frequently taught and anthologized, poems in American poetry. Along with the Red Wheelbarrow.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Must be Americana. I haven't heard it. (I'm also not seeing how it's particularly poetic?)

Here is a clip from the famous ModPo course (Modern and Contemporary American Poetry rom UPenn through Coursera, one of the best ever MOOCs) where Prof. Filreis and the TAs are discussing this poem.

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

I think it loses something if you take away the formatting for the poem (which I agree is one of the most famous!). Sorry for larger text, but here's a c&p from poetryfoundation.org: 

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Ummm, are there more verses? It just seems short. Seems a lot of other things, too, but let's start with short. 😉 

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Ummm, are there more verses? It just seems short. Seems a lot of other things, too, but let's start with short. 😉 

He was a Modernist Movement poet known for short poems that focused on small moments or experiences and used simple language and imagery. The Red Wheelbarrow is supposedly the most anthologized poem by any American poet:

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That's one of the most famous poems of all time?  I don't think so. . .

2 hours ago, bolt. said:

Must be Americana. I haven't heard it. (I'm also not seeing how it's particularly poetic?)

Not only have I never heard of the poem (or any of the lines), I've never heard of the poet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

The original "Sorry, not sorry"

Oh man, that's so true. Non American here, very familiar with the poem and feel that William Carlos Williams is one of the world's great poets. My kids and I have written 'versions' of this poem ourselves, so much fun. 

• Like 8

I remember writing a paper about William Carlos Williams in high school, and I owned his volume of poetry that won the Pulitzer Prize (Pictures from Brueghel). He won the National Book Award for Poetry and the Gold Medal from the National Institute of Arts & Letters. Maybe most people here are too young to remember him, but he was a pretty famous American poet. His house is on the National Register.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

He was a Modernist Movement poet known for short poems that focused on small moments or experiences and used simple language and imagery. The Red Wheelbarrow is supposedly the most anthologized poem by any American poet:

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

It seems like an American version of the Japanese haiku. 

I like the concept, and I can definitely understand the appeal. It's like a free-verse haiku, American style. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Though I maintain that the equivalent of “Bless your heart” is “Oh, honey!” And it can have a myriad of meanings from, “that’s a naive mistake” to “you’re the biggest idiot I’ve ever met” depending on tone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Katy said:

Though I maintain that the equivalent of “Bless your heart” is “Oh, honey!” And it can have a myriad of meanings from, “that’s a naive mistake” to “you’re the biggest idiot I’ve ever met” depending on tone. 

I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. I said "bless her heart" in regards to the president of our swim team and her busy schedule but had to clarify that I didn't mean it in the "@#$! her" way 😂😂😂

• Haha 2