Jokes & memes

Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, popmom said:

Um. Yeah—nah. Never gonna happen. Nope—never. Admittedly, I’m jaded from working in a profession that is predominantly made up of women. Totally triggered by this meme. 😂😂😭

Hugs. I'm lucky and have lots of women like this in my life, but I know not everyone is. 

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

B486F2ED-9592-4236-96EC-14B70A482CFD.jpeg

Um...I took this photo yesterday at a nearby botanical garden. I wanted to look up what it is...but now I'm scared to go back there! 

scary tree.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

B486F2ED-9592-4236-96EC-14B70A482CFD.jpeg

So, who named this tree?  This is literally the worst tree possible to put in your sandbox.  It should be very far away from the sandbox where the children play!

ETA:  I researched.  Apparently it also has fruit that is poisonous, and if its juice gets in your eyes you could go blind.

I vote we rename it "bad idea tree".  

Edited by Baseballandhockey
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I laughed because I assumed this was a joke. Now I'm concerned that these trees are for real, and I'm laughing at the ridiculous name "Sandbox Tree" is for them. Definitely go with Dynamite Tree. 

Here's a tree with a great name (thanks Gary Larson)! 

IMG_20220320_183418927.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I laughed because I assumed this was a joke. Now I'm concerned that these trees are for real, and I'm laughing at the ridiculous name "Sandbox Tree" is for them. Definitely go with Dynamite Tree. 

Hura crepitans the sandbox tree, also known as possumwood and jabillo, is an evergreen tree of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae), native to tropical regions of North and South America including the Amazon rainforest. The sandbox tree's explosive fruit has led to an additional nickname: the dynamite tree. 

whole video telling about the tree

short video showing the fruit exploding

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

4E8BF47B-B3D3-42EC-B2BF-367DCA6C250A.jpeg

A friend's dd was a Disney Princess when HF and CF came in with her son for their private meet/greet with Disney characters.  HF was stoned.  It was a real let down for friend's dd.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 10:07 PM, Baseballandhockey said:

So, who named this tree?  This is literally the worst tree possible to put in your sandbox.  It should be very far away from the sandbox where the children play!

ETA:  I researched.  Apparently it also has fruit that is poisonous, and if its juice gets in your eyes you could go blind.

Let me guess, it lives in Australia?  ETA:  Just saw it’s from North and South America.  Yikes!  Seems like it got lost!  Should be with the other venomous trees!

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

Actually I'm often doing it on my phone *during* the show/movie. 

FB_IMG_1647832986490.jpg

As long as you are not reading it all of during the movie - OUT LOUD. Like my DH. 

He also wants to discuss the lighting and special effects and set creation...during a play as we sit in the theater. 

And yet, he can't figure out why I don't want to watch movies with him...or with the family, as he has my younger son thinking this is normal behavior!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

As long as you are not reading it all of during the movie - OUT LOUD. Like my DH. 

He also wants to discuss the lighting and special effects and set creation...during a play as we sit in the theater. 

And yet, he can't figure out why I don't want to watch movies with him...or with the family, as he has my younger son thinking this is normal behavior!

I do it quietly.

My husband likes to pause and discuss what he thinks will happen next. Often I (and ds if he's watching with us) have to confiscate the remote and say "Let's just watch and find out!" 

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Actually I'm often doing it on my phone *during* the show/movie. 

FB_IMG_1647832986490.jpg

This is me looking up the historical accuracy of whatever “based on a true story” movie I’ve just watched. Begins  as soon as the credits roll.

Edited by Emba
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Baseballandhockey said:

Seems like this is the more likely tree of the knowledge of good and evil than Quince or whatever the latest theory I heard. If you eat it, you will surely die. 

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

FBB6688B-143F-4863-B845-D97CA40B0BB1.jpeg

This makes me think this is why many different cultures have some sort of all-seeing eye in their art and graffiti. A pre-electricity security system.

16 hours ago, Emba said:

This is me looking up the historical accuracy of whatever “based on a true story” movie I’ve just watched. Begins  as soon as the credits roll.

Having recently watched an "inspired by real events" movie that diverged so much from reality it just left me irked . . .

I just watched "Rescued by Ruby" on netflix.  It was rated G!!!!  (I didn't think they made those anymore, especially on Netflix!)

Ruby is a handful of a 1/2 border collie dog who is constantly returned to the shelter until a "really wants to be a K-9 Officer" State Trooper adopts her.  (in the movie, she was returned seven times, in reality - five times.  Yes, she was scheduled multiple times to be put down because she was "unadoptable.")  Working dogs need to work.

They got a lot of the facts right - even some things that were so coincidental they didn't seem they could be real.  They included some "where are they now?" in the credits.

eta: I'd also recommend TOGO.  

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, Emba said:

I read a fair amount of historical fiction (usually mysteries but not always). I often read with my phone at the ready to look up the accuracy of the story or real-life people who are mentioned.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, gardenmom5 said:

I just watched "Rescued by Ruby" on netflix.  It was rated G!!!!  (I didn't think they made those anymore, especially on Netflix!)

Ruby is a handful of a 1/2 border collie dog who is constantly returned to the shelter until a "really wants to be a K-9 Officer" State Trooper adopts her.  (in the movie, she was returned seven times, in reality - five times.  Yes, she was scheduled multiple times to be put down because she was "unadoptable.")  Working dogs need to work.

They got a lot of the facts right - even some things that were so coincidental they didn't seem they could be real.  They included some "where are they now?" in the credits.

eta: I'd also recommend TOGO.  

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a feel-good movie we'd enjoy. We liked the TOGO movie and ds 24 (22 at the time) actually sat and watched it with us.

Yes, I looked up historical accuracy while watching that TOGO. 😀

• Like 2