Menu

Name a Puppy...

Pen

24 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ok, as it turns out, I do have one idea. We used to have a Pomeranian named Spike, so that’s my suggestion.  🙂 

But that might be too boyish for a female dog, unless you think she has gender issues. 😉 

If I had a Pomeranian named Spike, I’d make him wear one of those doggy Stegosaurus costumes  and tell people that Land Before Time is his favorite movie

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Pixie or Sprite - the ears.

51 minutes ago, pinball said:

Cupid? Bc of the heart shaped mark?

Pepper? I love that name for black or mostly black dogs

Petey...from Little Rascals

Pixie sounds too much like our other dog’s name. Sprite is the name of the dog in the film and is definitely possible!  So are Matilda, Cupid, Pepper all possible.  And Pepper led me to think of Piper, Chips (like chocolate ones) and Sugar (for the white parts) Allspice? Turmeric? .   A black spotted dog near us is called Dotcom, so I can’t use anything similar, but I think it’s cute and original.  Petey and Spike are both cute even for female without gender issues 🙂

Some other possible ones -

Brio (only trouble seems rhyme with “no”)  I like the idea of life Con Brio.  Maybe Bria for female and not to rhyme with No, or maybe Allegra would be similar idea (though wish it weren’t an antihistamine). 

Miracle  (son’s contribution, but he may want to save it for a personal dog, not family dog) 

Clara (current name and has been growing on me to possibly just keep it) 

Koala

Sprite

Spirit

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Since I take my pup to an off leash dog park, I like unique names, or unexpected people names, so you don't get 5 dogs if you call out "Luna". 

This is my favorite site for dog names, there are several lists if you keep scrolling down. 

That’s a good point about not too common. We have some neighborhood dogs who get called a lot where common or not I need to avoid same or close sounding names.

Lots there! 

57 minutes ago, lulubelle said:

My ds18 says Matilda.

Tell him thank you, putting it on my list

51 minutes ago, pinball said:

Cupid? Bc of the heart shaped mark?

Pepper? I love that name for black or mostly black dogs

Petey...from Little Rascals

cute ones.  

Lark

Lake

Scout

Constance

Fido / Fidelity 

Braveheart

Heartsong

Heartjoy

Valentine

Matilda 

Theodora

Angelique

Adelaide 

Albany 

Dover

Hermione

Harmony

Melody

Cadence

Cara/Carina 

Applepie

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Sophie or Sylvie.  I don't know why but I think she needs an S name.  Spike or Sprite would be good too.  

I liked Sophie and Sabrina, but we know several human girls with those names. 

Scout

Stevia

Sweet____

Swift

Serendipity

Synergy

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Pen, have you heard the theory to use short names? 1 or 2 syllables?

Short Names Are the Best

If you want a dog who easily and promptly responds to its name, keep it simple and short. The name should be no longer than two syllables. This allows you to pronounce it quickly should you need to get your dog's immediate attention. A short name, therefore, works great for working dogs or those enrolled in sporting events.

While short names work best, two-syllable names may actually work better than one if your dog is distracted. This first syllable alerts them, while the second one gets them running. If they are distracted or miss the first part, they receive confirmation when they hear the second.”

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Five-Dog-Trainer-Tips-on-Naming-Your-Dog

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, pinball said:

Pen, have you heard the theory to use short names? 1 or 2 syllables?

Short Names Are the Best

If you want a dog who easily and promptly responds to its name, keep it simple and short. The name should be no longer than two syllables. This allows you to pronounce it quickly should you need to get your dog's immediate attention. A short name, therefore, works great for working dogs or those enrolled in sporting events.

yes- also names with a hard sound like K or hard G are supposed to help

24 minutes ago, pinball said:

While short names work best, two-syllable names may actually work better than one if your dog is distracted. This first syllable alerts them, while the second one gets them running. If they are distracted or miss the first part, they receive confirmation when they hear the second.”

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Five-Dog-Trainer-Tips-on-Naming-Your-Dog

irl we tend to take first syllable or sound, and double it (Koala would probably be called Koko, miracle called Mimi, or MirMir, Matilda MatMat or Mutmut ...) so I should probably check any possible name for what will happen if that ends up the usual default that the dog is actually called. 

Our current dog has a two word, three syllable name (that he came to us with), but usually it’s abbreviated down to one or two syllables- oftentimes the first syllable repeated twice. Though his all 3 full name when really wanting his attention somewhat like using a child’s first and middle name 

(another theory I have heard - particularly for competitive obedience,  is to use a long name so as to give several syllables to get the dog’s attention off the cute Golden Retriever opposite and back to the human. Like “Theodore Roosevelt Junior, Sit” might get attention while “Ted, Sit” might be missed while dog is still thinking about the cute Golden) 

• Like 2

Go to Twitter and search @petfindernames. 😂 just for a laugh.

One of my faves is the hamster named “Constructive Criticism”, and I’m considering renaming one of my cats “General Grievance” because it’s just so appropriate. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2021 at 4:55 PM, Catwoman said:

But that might be too boyish for a female dog, unless you think she has gender issues. 😉 

I had a cockatiel when I was younger that I named Dudley because I was told it was male, but it was actually female.

No name ideas - I'm terrible with that but I love many of the above suggestions!  🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

I like Bria.

Clara is a fairly popular name for little girls right now, including one I know, so I wouldn't use it for a dog. Piper, too, is in the top 100.

my son’s friend group includes a Clara. I didn’t realize Piper was currently fairly popular for little girls

Is the horse in A Horse and His Boy named  Bree?  (eta: yes just looked it up) 

Ive been playing with just sounds that are supposed to be attractive to dogs ... k g d t 

that gave me Cricket, Tykka, Digger, Skipper, ... type names  

Also considering Jedi and Yoda

Sabaka (dog in Russian)

Edited by Pen

On 6/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, Carolina Wren said:

I like Bria.

Clara is a fairly popular name for little girls right now, including one I know, so I wouldn't use it for a dog. Piper, too, is in the top 100.

Don’t quote please. I will probably delete names for privacy. 

Deleted for privacy

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using a popular girl’s name for a pup. My husband’s dog growing up was named ...... We named one of our daughters .......! 🙂

Can’t wait to show dh how popular the name Piper has become. 😂😭😭

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 8:16 PM, Halftime Hope said:

We had a dalmatian name Chipper for several obvious reasons. 😉  I also like Sprite, because it's feminine and spunky.  And while it might not be politically correct for whatever reason, Gypsy invokes a joie de vivre.  

Chipper is growing on me as combo of appearance and chipper like cheerful

• Like 3

I do know several human Pipers, but for myself, that doesn’t deter me; I think using human names for pets is a nice way to use names you would have liked for a kid but couldn’t use. 

For years, I have liked the name Jewel for a dog, but I don’t know if it might make people think of the vape brand Juul. But I can totally hear myself saying, “How’s my Jewely-Jewel today?” 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 5:54 AM, Quill said:

I do know several human Pipers, but for myself, that doesn’t deter me; I think using human names for pets is a nice way to use names you would have liked for a kid but couldn’t use. 

For years, I have liked the name Jewel for a dog, but I don’t know if it might make people think of the vape brand Juul. But I can totally hear myself saying, “How’s my Jewely-Jewel today?” 

Oh my gosh, it's nice to read that others double their pet's name as a sort of nickname. We have a Bear and I often call her Beary-Bear. She's black and in my mind I think of her as Blackberry so when I say Beary-Bear I'm actually thinking Berry-Bear. LOL I love seeing how other folks refer to their pets. It definitely makes me feel a little less crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Oh my gosh, it's nice to read that others double their pet's name as a sort of nickname. We have a Bear and I often call her Beary-Bear. She's black and in my mind I think of her as Blackberry so when I say Beary-Bear I'm actually thinking Berry-Bear. LOL I love seeing how other folks refer to their pets. It definitely makes me feel a little less crazy.

We had a cat named Thor, which suited him perfectly, but we always called him Thor Bear. Why did we do this? I don’t really know, but it naturally evolved and we always called him Thor Bear. 
My other cat is Luna but I almost never call her Luna. I just call her Kitty or Kitty-Girl. 🤷🏻‍♀️

On 7/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

We have a black cat named Boo that we call Boo Bear half the time. And an orange cat named Ducklin’ that we call Duck-Duck. 

• Like 1