Menu

Look what showed up here this morning (stray)

fairfarmhand

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm completely invested into the mystery of this cow. Hopefully her humans show up soon. They must be worried sick. At least, I hope they are because then she would have been loved and cared for.

I really think she has a family. Jerseys require a level of care beyond the typical beef cow. This one looks too good to have been neglected. Jerseys show it badly when they are mistreated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm completely invested into the mystery of this cow. Hopefully her humans show up soon. They must be worried sick. At least, I hope they are because then she would have been loved and cared for.

Me too!   Although I am thinking that @fairfarmhand has a brand new adorable cow to love.

• Like 4

Oh , thank goodness! You found my Clara-belle...I mean Betsy. Yeah. Betsy. She’s named after her grandmother who was also a ...milking type cow. I’ll just hop in my SVU...I mean cow carrying vehicle and pick her up in a jiff...what state do you live in again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Just wondering if anyone has come for their cow yet...

Nope. This morning I went out into the field and called my other cow up for her morning grain snack. The sweet Jersey came running too and beat Bonnie (my spotted cow) to the top of the hill where the feeder is. 

I'm losing my heart to her. 

We'll keep her out front over the weekend in case someone drives through the area looking for her, but that spot needs to go ungrazed for a bit for our pasture rotation system. So we'll put her in with the  rest of the cows soon if we don't have someone come by.

I've put out posts on Next Door and all.  No luck. It's the weirdest thing.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Her owner showed up this evening. He's a really really old dude who lives up the road. He had her in with a bunch of donkeys and she came into heat and came looking for a bull. (we don't have one, so she's fine) She's been his pet cow for about 6 months now.  They're going to come get her on Sunday.

AND.....

Her name is.......

BUTTERCUP!

• Like 11
  • Haha 25

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I'm kinds of relieved. There are several really really good reasons we didn't buy another Jersey cow and I was worried I was going to have to convince my dh why they shouldn't count any more if her owner didn't show up.

Since I know next to nothing about cows, I am curious what reasons would make one not choose a Jersey?

10 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Her owner showed up this evening. He's a really really old dude who lives up the road. He had her in with a bunch of donkeys and she came into heat and came looking for a bull. (we don't have one, so she's fine) She's been his pet cow for about 6 months now.  They're going to come get her on Sunday.

AND.....

Her name is.......

BUTTERCUP!

Amazing!

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

Since I know next to nothing about cows, I am curious what reasons would make one not choose a Jersey?

1. Jersey cows are very delicate. So to keep them healthy you have to sort of separately manage them from the tougher beef cows.

2. There’s an illness called Johnnes disease that is rampant in the dairy industry. Testing is sketchy (negative cows can develop it later in life, while still shedding the germs.) and we want to keep our beef herd free of it. We had a johnnes positive cow before and had to sell her for slaughter , even though she was a really really good cow. There is no cure.

3. Jerseys really give more milk than I need and selling it is illegal in my state. When I’ve put extra calves on a cow for using the milk they developed mastitis (see also delicate health) because the calves are so rough on their udders.

4. We do fall calving for beef cows, but having a Jersey milking heavily in winter is brutal on the jerseys. They don’t handle cold as well and so much of their energy goes into milk that they struggle to stay warm. So we’d have to breed a Jersey to calve at a different time from the other cows and that’s a headache.

5. you have to be really careful about breeding a Jersey to an angus bull or they’ll have a too big calf. Jerseys are smaller framed cows. I prefer bull breeding to AI because it’s so much more certain.

6. Jersey bull calves go for next to nothing at the sale barn so selling offspring is annoying. Especially when we could keep a beef cow, whose calves would bring literally twice as much at market than a Jersey bull calf.

the cow I’m wanting to milk next is a beefier breed. Hoping she’s hardier and her calves will be worth something at market. And she’ll be more suited for our operation.

I love jerseys and I always will. It’s just hard to manage them separately and keep them healthy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

1. Jersey cows are very delicate. So to keep them healthy you have to sort of separately manage them from the tougher beef cows.

2. There’s an illness called Johnnes disease that is rampant in the dairy industry. Testing is sketchy (negative cows can develop it later in life, while still shedding the germs.) and we want to keep our beef herd free of it. We had a johnnes positive cow before and had to sell her for slaughter , even though she was a really really good cow. There is no cure.

3. Jerseys really give more milk than I need and selling it is illegal in my state. When I’ve put extra calves on a cow for using the milk they developed mastitis (see also delicate health) because the calves are so rough on their udders.

4. We do fall calving for beef cows, but having a Jersey milking heavily in winter is brutal on the jerseys. They don’t handle cold as well and so much of their energy goes into milk that they struggle to stay warm. So we’d have to breed a Jersey to calve at a different time from the other cows and that’s a headache.

5. you have to be really careful about breeding a Jersey to an angus bull or they’ll have a too big calf. Jerseys are smaller framed cows. I prefer bull breeding to AI because it’s so much more certain.

6. Jersey bull calves go for next to nothing at the sale barn so selling offspring is annoying. Especially when we could keep a beef cow, whose calves would bring literally twice as much at market than a Jersey bull calf.

the cow I’m wanting to milk next is a beefier breed. Hoping she’s hardier and her calves will be worth something at market. And she’ll be more suited for our operation.

I love jerseys and I always will. It’s just hard to manage them separately and keep them healthy.

Those are pretty convincing reasons.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm glad her human finally came and fetched her. I wonder what took him so long!

Maybe he thought she just went to visit her cowsins and didn't get worried until she hadn't moo-sied her way on home after a cowple days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Maybe he thought she just went to visit her cowsins and didn't get worried until she hadn't moo-sied her way on home after a cowple days. 

I read this one yesterday:

How does the farmer keep track of how many animals he has? He uses his cowculator. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm glad her human finally came and fetched her. I wonder what took him so long!

Our road backs up to hundreds of acres of woodlands and fields. He said he'd been looking in the empty land behind his house.  Our houses are about a mile apart. She really wandered far!

14 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I'm kinds of relieved. There are several really really good reasons we didn't buy another Jersey cow and I was worried I was going to have to convince my dh why they shouldn't count any more if her owner didn't show up.

I hope for Buttercup’s sake that her elderly owner can give her the special care that she needs. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Buttercup went back home today. The man is super nice. Hopefully she stays put. My cow Bonnie was sad to see her go. Bonnie enjoyed the company of another cow that was exactly her size.

Maybe you should exchange numbers, have a few sleepovers and spa days.

• Haha 7