Menu

Bedside lamp?

Farrar

As my eyes are aging, I’m noting a need for better light when I read. It seems to be really key for me. Light that I’d never have noticed as “low” is now uncomfortable to read in.

My regular bedside lamp just doesn’t cut it. Part of the issue is that my bedside table is at a funny level. Probably 8 inches higher than the bed. Just a traditional small shaded lamp wasn’t directing the light to the page.

Finally I got out an old bending desk lamp instead, but now the light is too intense out of the corner of my eyes. Good for the page, but bad for my peripheral vision. It’s super bright.

What sort of lamp do I need? Or should I play with the bulbs? A brighter one in the shade lamp didn’t help, but maybe a softer one in the desk style lamp? Or do I need a new bedside table?

I gave up on that game and do my bedtime reading on a tablet. I set the background to that sepia color, make the print bigger, and my old eyes and I are happy. I save real books with pages for daylight or living room reading. In the living room, the light comes from over my shoulder and the bulb is out of my eyeline.

I do have a clip on book light that is dimmable that I can use for real books in bed. I’m a little spoiled for the enlarged print in my tablet so I don’t use it too often. 

• Like 4

I mounted two lights similar to this one on the wall behind/over our headboard. The one I linked even has dimming options, which might be nice for walking up in the middle of the night and wanting to read. The setup works for us because I get bright, focused light on what I'm reading, but not so much light from dh's that I can't fall asleep.

The lamps we have have on/off switches on the cords and I used Command Strips to attach the switches to the back of the headboard where I can easily reach mine.

• Like 1

Another vote for wall-mounted sconces. I have these on either side of the bed, just above headboard level. They plug in so don't require any special wiring. I like the swing-arm style because I can move the light exactly where I want it. Another benefit of wall sconces is more room on the night table for books!

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 5.39.15 PM.png

• Like 5

No smart house stuff.

Wall mounted is really hard on that wall. It's brick. I mean, not exposed brick, but the plaster covering the brick is less than a centimeter thick. I avoid putting things in the brick walls however I can. It never ends well. At the start of the pandemic, a local guy came to help me get the barre in the basement wall and he's a professional and it took him an HOUR to get one screw in the wall with specialized drill equipment. 

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

What are your ceilings made of? Can you drop a pendant light down where a sconce would fall? 

It's like an 11 foot ceiling so that would be... a bit much. It would probably swing around with the fan on high, lol.

I finally gave up on any sort of table lamp and bought a swing arm, single bulb, adjustable height floor lamp from Lowe's. I've got a 60w equivalent soft white LED bulb in it and it has worked out great. I put it behind the nightstand close to the head of the bed. Between the adjustable height and swing arm I can position it however I need to depending on reading position.

• Like 1

NXONE Led Floor Lamp,Modern Reading Adjustable Standing Height 4 Colors and Stepless Brightness Work Lamp for Living Room Bedroom Reading,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JQDJJ5N/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_fabc_T3KWYGM2VJQ9W7YPXJZB

Also—this is why I got a kindle. But the floor lamp, adjustable height, might work great.  This linknis just an example.  I have the worlds best lamp by my work chair but it is 40 years old and not made now. 

• Like 1

I mostly read on a screen... but sometimes I have a physical book!

Honestly, I wonder if screen reading with backlight is part of my eye issue. If they're just weak.

When I was a kid, my father dated this German woman for years. She was a real character. She ran this amazing late night cafe and bar in Atlanta that was pretty well known and served divine fancy desserts. She didn't believe in overhead lighting. All the lights in the house were super dim. I remember having to curl up to read in the bathroom because I couldn't see well enough anywhere else. So maybe actually this has always been an issue for my poor eyes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I mostly read on a screen... but sometimes I have a physical book!

Honestly, I wonder if screen reading with backlight is part of my eye issue. If they're just weak.

When I was a kid, my father dated this German woman for years. She was a real character. She ran this amazing late night cafe and bar in Atlanta that was pretty well known and served divine fancy desserts. She didn't believe in overhead lighting. All the lights in the house were super dim. I remember having to curl up to read in the bathroom because I couldn't see well enough anywhere else. So maybe actually this has always been an issue for my poor eyes.

Kindles are not backlit.  It’s a different technology.  I cant stand reading on backlit devices.  Eye burn. The ability to change the font size and boldness is a help.  

• Like 2

I have a wall mounted plug in reading lamp that I can adjust and is the right brightness, but it is brass and I feel like I have to dust it twice a week.

Dh has some vision issues—he has a huge iPad with the kindle app. He boosts the font size and does colored backgrounds also. (The magnocellular and parvocellular visual pathways are different and in low light situations it’s a high visual demand.) 

Play around and see what you need. Youngest reads with a headlamp. 

• Like 1

I have a touch based LED lamp with three settings. It has weird colors but I hate them and never use them. The light is more diffuse, and I usually keep it on low in the evening just for ease of navigating my room without the overhead light. I previously had an IKEA desk lamp (the previous version of this “Nävlinge”) with a bendy “neck.” It had a very focused light in a tiny little light bulb.

• Like 1

Have you considered a Paperwhite?  I have been wanting to upgrade to the Oasis but I can't really justify the cost.  I loooooove mine!  I also use a neck light when I have a physical book I am reading at night.  Just remember not to turn towards your DH or you may blind him!  I have Snap-On one.  It is dimmable, but it is really bright.  You may find it too bright if your other light is.  https://shop.snapon.com/product/Headlamps/Rechargeable-Hands-Free-Neck-Light-(Green)/ECHDC038G

• Like 1

These are all good ideas. A floor lamp might be my best bet.

I do have a headboard, but it's an antique spool bed (it was my great-great grandmother's) and there's no way to clip anything to it. The spools are not clip friendly at all.

I've tried little book lights with a clip, but they're just sort of annoying. They don't work all that well for me. The headlamp would probably work better, but... I'm not sure if I want to go there.

I do have a Paperwhite. I read on that or a phone or tablet. Except when I need to read a book book.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've tried little book lights with a clip, but they're just sort of annoying. They don't work all that well for me. The headlamp would probably work better, but... I'm not sure if I want to go there.

I started using a headlamp because I already own one for camping.  Not sure I'd buy one just for this purpose (though it is pretty great)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Farrar said:

A floor lamp might be my best bet.

My mother has a floor lamp beside an antique bed. Looks great! I just got a nice one at Lowe's https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-62-5-in-Satin-Nickel-Shaded-Floor-Lamp/1000002428  It has pull chains, which could be really nice beside a bed, and it takes two 100W LED bulbs, meaning plenty of light. They have a whole bunch of styles, all very nicely made. I liked them a bit better than the ones at Target, which surprised me. I also own an antique floor lamp with glass around the base, which is very nice if it fits your style. If you found an older one that  you liked, you could rewire it with the pull chains.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, eagleynne said:

I finally gave up on any sort of table lamp and bought a swing arm, single bulb, adjustable height floor lamp from Lowe's. I've got a 60w equivalent soft white LED bulb in it and it has worked out great. I put it behind the nightstand close to the head of the bed. Between the adjustable height and swing arm I can position it however I need to depending on reading position.

I'm a little mad that I never though of a floor lamp.  Now I kinda want one so I can move my lamp off my nightstand.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:45 PM, Farrar said:

It's like an 11 foot ceiling so that would be... a bit much. It would probably swing around with the fan on high, lol.

I should have thought of a fan.  Dh has one running CONSTANTLY.  Sometimes I turn it off when he's not looking just so I can listen to the quiet.  

• Like 1