Menu

Ripped jeans after 45 years old?

crazyforlatin

15 minutes ago, Katy said:

The thing is, it’s not really mental energy if you’re fashion inclined. It’s just the way my brain works. It’s not like I’m judging to think I’m superior & you’re inferior, but I definitely have thoughts like, “She’d look 15 years younger if she’d change her eyebrow shape,” or, “Wow!  The weather girl looks great in that orangey red compared to that awful pink she was wearing yesterday. It’s rare for a blonde to look so bad in pink. I wonder if her hair is naturally very dark.”

I wish you could come over and help me!  I have no idea what looks good or bad and would love someone who is blunt and honest.  

• Haha 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I wish you could come over and help me!  I have no idea what looks good or bad and would love someone who is blunt and honest.  

Do you know what you feel good in vs what you feel wrong or foreign in?

Do you know what colors you get the most compliments in?

Do you know which celebrities you almost always admire their style?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

The heck. You don't say ?? My daughter is extremely arty while DH, DS and I are not. There is an actual reason for this ? 

I cook because I was taught as part of being a girl and I was missing the food of my home when I moved here. My grandmother cooked because she loved it. My mom cooks much like me. But my DD is bugging me so much to cook I had to finally let her do it on an Instant pot, rice cooker and oven. Stove top not yet at 4 and she has so much angst that she is not "really cooking". I was barely feeding myself at 4.

I decorate a specific way based on the handicrafts and artwork of my country of origin, travel and novica so it looks nice, not that I have an artist eye or anything. But this daughter of mine has an innate eye for things and she is constantly moving stuff because it "will look better mama". 

Yeah, definitely lacking that gene here. DD must get it from MIL and my grandmothers, both paternal and maternal. All do/did lovely handicrafts like embroidery, sewing and all cooked well. Definitely not my mom or me. 

My daughter does lovely embroidery at 4. I could barely hold a needle then. She can machine sew a bit too.

Yep! Cooking, fashion, decor, architecture, art, they’re all related. ☺️There’s a downside tho.  DH despairs My taste in clothes, furniture and decor runs to things that are just different enough that they cost twice as much as the regular shmegular versions. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

Of course, as I type this, I am garbed in a medieval gown because it's gloomy here today and felt like a nice medieval day. 

Me, dreaming about how badass I’d feel wearing a medieval gown and Docs. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Do you have a lighted candle and are you searching your home for hidden passageways?

PS I love that you have and wear medieval gowns. 

haha, nothing hidden in this place unfortunately. I'm taking an Old English class this semester, so I was translating The Battle of Maldon just now. 

46 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Me, dreaming about how badass I’d feel wearing a medieval gown and Docs. 😎

You should do that. 

Also appropriate as it is Tolkien reading day, the anniversary of the fall of Sauron and the fall of Barad-dûr. LotR is just medieval fanfic, imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Do you know what you feel good in vs what you feel wrong or foreign in?

Do you know what colors you get the most compliments in?

Do you know which celebrities you almost always admire their style?

I feel best in leggings and a hoody w/running shoes.  Or leggings with a big cozy cardigan and a tank or cami.  I feel foreign in dressy or tight clothes or clothes that are fussy to put on/take off.  

I don't think anyone compliments my clothing colors.  I wear a lot of dark colors (black/grey/navy/olive sometimes) and DH and my kids will comment positively if I wear something in other colors.  I think I look best in jewel colors.

Celebrities - I don't watch tv or movies and don't really know what any celebrities are wearing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Does your DD, mom or grandma have an artist’s eye? I think that helps with food, decor, and clothing. Same, same.

<snip>

So, my daughter (my personal fashion consultant mentioned above) is an artist. Well, still studying art but yes, has that artist's eye.

And, @Dreamergalshe started young. 

Re: judging people about what they wear (from a different post) -- I don't think anyone here is judging anyone. People were asked for their opinions, and they gave them. The fact that I dislike ripped jeans or any other type of clothing doesn't mean I'm judging people for what they wear. But yeah if someone asks for an opinion, I'm going to give it.  But as Katy said, people who are inclined that way will have thoughts when they see people.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

It’s not like I’m judging to think I’m superior & you’re inferior, but I definitely have thoughts like, “She’d look 15 years younger if she’d change her eyebrow shape,”

• Like 3

I've been looking at some of the blogs and videos linked here, plus some additional blogs & videos that were linked from those, and I'm curious what people think of this photo. These are before and after shots, from a woman who took a $300 course from one of the bloggers. I think the first outfit looks really cute and comfortable, with pops of color from the scarf and purse. I think the "after" photo looks a bit dressier, but not any more "modern" or stylish; it just looks fussier to me and actually not as put together, with a black & white shirt, navy cardigan, and light blue shoes, and the purse seems too dressy and kind of impractical for everyday wear.

So I'm curious if others think the "after" photo in this fashion makeover is a big improvement?

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.43.57 AM.png

• Like 2

Um, not a huge improvement.  I think capris are pretty awful on most people, so it was nice to see her move to a cropped pair of trousers.  I think the bunched scarf around her neck was not flattering, and the v cut on her blouse on the right is more flattering. I dislike the purse and shoes on the right. I don't think her long cardigan is super flattering for her body type either. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I've been looking at some of the blogs and videos linked here, plus some additional blogs & videos that were linked from those, and I'm curious what people think of this photo. These are before and after shots, from a woman who took a $300 course from one of the bloggers. I think the first outfit looks really cute and comfortable, with pops of color from the scarf and purse. I think the "after" photo looks a bit dressier, but not any more "modern" or stylish; it just looks fussier to me and actually not as put together, with a black & white shirt, navy cardigan, and light blue shoes, and the purse seems too dressy and kind of impractical for everyday wear.

So I'm curious if others think the "after" photo in this fashion makeover is a big improvement?

Neither are outfits I would wear, but I do prefer most of the elements of the second one. I do not like the look of capris on anyone, so the first is just a no. If she was wearing jeans or full length pants, it’s a normal, non descript mom outfit. I don’t understand the scarf and sandals combo though.

I like the shirt and white jeans look of the second, I guess it looks a little more grown up or put together. I do not like the robe-like cardigan and the sparkly shoes look like they belong to a 4 yo. Swap those for a denim jacket and wedge sandals and I think it’s a nice, if conservative, look.

I also don't see much improvement but there is some. To me, the capris and flat sandals don't go with the sweater and scarf. But I also dislike capris. So overall the after photo seems a little better to me, though the purse also seems odd.  I assumed that in the after photo, the shirt was navy, not black? 

• Like 1

First outfit looks like she's running to the store, the next going out for dinner. I do wear capris - I have short legs, but I generally wear a longer looser shirt because I'm pear-shaped. I'd get two feet in the second sandals before I tripped. I do love the longer sweater. 

The after looks good, but it doesn't look as comfortable. I'm at the age where comfort comes first. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, marbel said:

I also don't see much improvement but there is some. To me, the capris and flat sandals don't go with the sweater and scarf. But I also dislike capris. So overall the after photo seems a little better to me, though the purse also seems odd.  I assumed that in the after photo, the shirt was navy, not black? 

I guess I assumed the top in the first pic was a tee shirt and the scarf was lightweight cotton. I have a bunch of 3/4 sleeve tee shirts and lightweight gauzey cotton scarves that I wear in the summer. In fact, if you swap the capris for ankle-length chinos and change the scarf and purse to blue/navy, that's pretty much what I've worn on every European summer trip for the past 10 years. 

I like the white jeans in the second pic, but to me super long cardigans like that just scream middle-aged-mom-who-read-on-a-blog-that-this-would-make-them-look-taller, which doesn't really work. And I think the purse and shoes are awful, but that's probably just a matter of personal taste. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I think the after looks more stylish, helped by the neckline & the change of necklace, earrings and purse (I might prefer one that's still a clutch, but a different shape & color). I don't love white pants (though I see what she's doing picking up the accent color from the shirt) or the new sandals either. I would go with longer pants and... IDK what shoes, probably still open-toed and showing off the nail polish if it's warm, but maybe something that looks less like flip-flops.

I'm currently dressed more like the before, in sturdier shoes (except I never, ever wear cropped pants), but I dressed to go out for a hike today, not to be seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Jewel tones. But no American company will manufacture such clothes. So I wear them in ethnic clothes.

Kate Middleton. She dresses modestly, so do I but wears a lot of dresses. I do not. So I wish she wore more pants so I can copy. 

I had to google jewel tones. I do have clothing, winter scarfs, shoes and bags in jewel tones. Polo Ralph Lauren, Burberry (UK), Akris (Swiss), St John have lots in ruby red and sapphire blue, sometimes they have citrine yellow. Eddie Bauer has emerald green but I prefer wearing emerald green in velvet dresses and for my bags. I don’t wear amethyst purple so I don’t notice which brands carry that color. I find it easier to find jewel tone clothing at Neiman Marcus. 

My husband also likes Kate Middleton’s fashion sense. Her attire for the India tour was lovely https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion-news/pictures-kate-middleton-s-india-tour-wardrobe-11584

• Like 1

Reading the comments is making me a bit nervous since I love longer cardigans and wear them all the time - big chunky ones in the winter, lighter ones in fall/spring, short sleeve and sleeveless in summer.  

I've never bought white pants because I know they'd get dirty or I'd spill something on them.  I'd be too worried about them all the time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Reading the comments is making me a bit nervous since I love longer cardigans and wear them all the time - big chunky ones in the winter, lighter ones in fall/spring, short sleeve and sleeveless in summer.  

I've never bought white pants because I know they'd get dirty or I'd spill something on them.  I'd be too worried about them all the time.

Noooo! Don't get nervous because of the opinions of a bunch of random people!  Have confidence in your long cardigans! 

I haven't worn white pants since... maybe high school? I would get them dirty for sure.  I also don't like the way I look in them, being overweight. (That does not mean I think people of a certain weight or body shape or whatever should not wear white pants... it just means I don't like the way I look in them --> not concerned with anyone else.)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My first thought was, there are sleeveless cardigans ?? Link please.

It took me a long time to wear shorts. Even now, I am so conscious of my legs.

I checked and can't find the link to the sleeveless cardigans I have.  I bought mine at Kohl's a couple of years ago and they only seem to have a winter weight one now:  https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4491706/womens-croft-barrow-textured-minky-fleece-open-front-vest.jsp?color=Black&prdPV=16

Mine are similar to these:  https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sleeveless cardigan&cat_id=5438

I am very very self-conscious about wearing shorts because of my varicose veins.  I have ugly bulging veins all up and down both legs.  When ds1 was younger he asked why I had "blue legs."  I wear them sometimes but try to avoid them and wear carpi length leggings or jeans instead even though I know they aren't ideal as far as being flattering.  But at least they cover up my legs.  I wear dresses, too.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Don’t be nervous!! I’m out here breaking all the ‘rules’ without a care in the world.  4995A63C-E109-4664-904F-245271E28E68.thumb.jpeg.038e76f67026daef0053b62bdac32c9e.jpegThe only things I changed about this look were my shoes (too chunky) and my foundation garments. I had to whip out my strapless basque to smooth over the baby pooch and lift the girls. Sometimes it really does suck to get older. 🤣

• Like 8

I think the biggest problem with the first picture is the proportions are off. The longer white shirt coupled with the capri pants give the ‘half and half’ look, which is a no-go. Your body (clothing) proportions should be more of a ‘1/3 and 2/3’, which is achieved in the second picture. The shorter dark shirt looks roughly 1/3 and the white pants are more 2/3 of her overall body length. 

I agree that the clutch does not look good with the outfit, especially with the shoes. I think the cardigan is fine. 

Obviously, there are no “rules”, I’m just playing along with the analyzing. 😁

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I think the biggest problem with the first picture is the proportions are off. The longer white shirt coupled with the capri pants give the ‘half and half’ look, which is a no-go. Your body (clothing) proportions should be more of a ‘1/3 and 2/3’, which is achieved in the second picture. The shorter dark shirt looks roughly 1/3 and the white pants are more 2/3 of her overall body length. 

I agree that the clutch does not look good with the outfit, especially with the shoes. I think the cardigan is fine. 

Obviously, there are no “rules”, I’m just playing along with the analyzing. 😁

And playing along as well, the cross body bag hangs a little too low, emphasizing the widest part of the body. But what do I know. Precovid I used to use cross body purses, but now I just carry phone and keys in my pockets which is a charming look when the pockets are bulging out. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Don’t be nervous!! I’m out here breaking all the ‘rules’ without a care in the world.  4995A63C-E109-4664-904F-245271E28E68.thumb.jpeg.038e76f67026daef0053b62bdac32c9e.jpegThe only things I changed about this look were my shoes (too chunky) and my foundation garments. I had to whip out my strapless basque to smooth over the baby pooch and lift the girls. Sometimes it really does suck to get older. 🤣

Your monochrome outfit is elegant and put together. I think monochrome outfits tend to look like you spend more time and money than you actually did. And especially since yours is cream/white, it looks especially elevated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Don’t be nervous!! I’m out here breaking all the ‘rules’ without a care in the world.  The only things I changed about this look were my shoes (too chunky) and my foundation garments. I had to whip out my strapless basque to smooth over the baby pooch and lift the girls. Sometimes it really does suck to get older. 🤣

You totally got that JLo/Maid in Manhatten look!

https://www.whowhatwear.com/maid-in-manhattan-fashion

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

You look absolutely wonderful. I think it is more your body language more than anything that makes it. Your body language looks so confident, like you own it.

That I think is all the difference.

I use clothes like armor for interview. I work on my body language to convey that.  I want to show that I am a good hire, so I work on projecting that always while quaking inside. 

You are just standing there and you seem to exude that with confidence. 

How much do you charge for private lessons ? 😄

Ah, thanks. I am not a skinny Minnie but my motto is fake it til you make it. I was a totally awkward and ill-dressed tween/teen. It wasn’t until I started buying my own clothes that I started feeling better. I have some power clothes in my closet too but  they’re all more fitted. I feel great in them tho and, you’re right, it makes me feel amazeballs. My waist simply has to be defined otherwise I look like a short blob. I walked into Walmart two months ago wearing a boxy fleece and jeans and some guy behind my teen driver felt I was moving to slow. “Move it, ya fat ass!!” He yelled. 🤷🏽‍♀️Ya can’t please everybody.

Edited by Sneezyone

8 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

You look absolutely wonderful. I think it is more your body language more than anything that makes it. Your body language looks so confident, like you own it.

That I think is all the difference.

You are just standing there and you seem to exude that with confidence. 

How much do you charge for private lessons ? 😄

I agree with this so much!  I am always envious of women who seem so confident and desperately want to feel that way as well.  It really does make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

\ I walked into Walmart two months ago wearing a boxy fleece and jeans and some guy behind my teen driver felt I was moving to slow. “Move it, ya fat ass!!” He yelled.

Wow, what a terrible person!  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Ah, thanks. I am not a skinny Minnie but my motto is fake it til you make it. I was a totally awkward and ill-dressed tween/teen. It wasn’t until I started buying my own clothes that I started feeling better. I have some power clothes in my closet too but  they’re all more fitted. I feel great in them tho and, you’re right, it makes me feel amazeballs. My waist simply has to be defined otherwise I look like a short blob. I walked into Walmart two months ago wearing a boxy fleece and jeans and some guy behind my teen driver felt I was moving to slow. “Move it, ya fat ass!!” He yelled. 🤷🏽‍♀️Ya can’t please everybody.

What a jackass. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I use clothes like armor for interview. I work on my body language to convey that.  

For the past year, all the interviews my husband had to do were through video conferencing. Can only see the face. 

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I would have given a dirty glare. The worst part about a mask is I cannot do that now.

You can always do the “matriarch death glare”. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:28 AM, Sneezyone said:

Does your DD, mom or grandma have an artist’s eye? I think that helps with food, decor, and clothing. Same, same.

This part. Strategically distressed clothes have been a thing forever. In 90s Seattle, those wide legged, high waist jean hems were ‘distressed’ simply by walking around town. In the 80s, shredded/slashed oversized tops were ‘cool’. Baggy pants, Doc Martens, and flannels were practically a uniform. If you observe long enough, you’ll see your silhouettes start to reappear every 30-40 years. If your unlucky, you go custom 😂. My mom and grandma made my ‘wedding’ dress from a 50s ball gown pattern. Even the hair styles are back. I’ve seen a bunch of kids wearing Kid N’Play anD Aaliyah hair do’s. I even saw a teen a couple years back happily wearing a Bobbie Brown Gumby cut. SMH. A friend of mine just let her 6yo cut adopt a totally emo hair style. Nothing is new.

This is true for furniture as well. I was looking at some long article about “living rooms every year for the past 100 years” or something, and the living rooms of the 40s look exactly like the living rooms that are styled today on a lot of home improvement shows. Same shapes of furniture and decor.. It was fascinating.

18 hours ago, Kassia said:

I love my long cardigans because it feels like I’m wearing a cape. 🙂

• Like 2

I just have to publicly say that I’m really annoyed that skinny jeans are on the way out. 😞

I finally found a pair of jeans that doesn’t gap in the back and they’re skinny with an elastic waist. If I get these jeans that are not skinny, then it says you are supposed to tuck in your shirt, which I can’t do with an elastic waist, so I’m back to gap in the back. URGH. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

I just have to publicly say that I’m really annoyed that skinny jeans are on the way out. 😞

I finally found a pair of jeans that doesn’t gap in the back and they’re skinny with an elastic waist. If I get these jeans that are not skinny, then it says you are supposed to tuck in your shirt, which I can’t do with an elastic waist, so I’m back to gap in the back. URGH. 

Lalalalala, I don't hear this. I finally made peace with skinny jeans and now prefer them (because stretchy comfort!).

They're going nowhere!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, Lori D. said:

55 minutes ago, Garga said:

I can’t pull off the styles listed in the Elle link. Don’t have the height so it would look like I borrowed somebody’s wardrobe. I find skinny jeans useful for wind chill, keeps out the cold better. My local weather has turn warmer and people are out shopping in leggings. 

I am a dress for the occasion person versus keeping up with fashion so I just go for comfortable and good fit. I am so small build that when my husband and I can find anything my size in the adult section, we would be so amazed. My clothes were mainly tailored growing up. 

Jeans alterations at the waist are not easy to do well, unlike hemming up the length which Nordstrom Rack does for free. I go with whatever makes you feel happy. 

• Like 5

As much as I’m mourning the death of the skinny (which I think will be a slow multi-year long death), I am looking forward to roomier knees. 

I’ve been wearing skinnies for about 10 years now, so it makes sense that they’re dying out. And they do get tight at the knees, even with a stretchy material.

It might be nice to wear a looser jean. But like someone mentioned upthread, I’ll have to be careful to get tops that work with looser jeans. A flowy, breezy top looks great on a skinny, but I’m not sure if it works on wider jeans. I’m pretty sure the rule of thumb is that if the top is loose, the bottom is tight, and vice versa. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Garga said:

As much as I’m mourning the death of the skinny (which I think will be a slow multi-year long death), I am looking forward to roomier knees. 

I’ve been wearing skinnies for about 10 years now, so it makes sense that they’re dying out. And they do get tight at the knees, even with a stretchy material.

It might be nice to wear a looser jean. But like someone mentioned upthread, I’ll have to be careful to get tops that work with looser jeans. A flowy, breezy top looks great on a skinny, but I’m not sure if it works on wider jeans. I’m pretty sure the rule of thumb is that if the top is loose, the bottom is tight, and vice versa. 

I don't think I'll ever be ready to give up my skinny jeans!  Everything else looks ridiculous on me and I do prefer wearing roomier tops.  I didn't know they are on their way out and I could never wear the styles in the Elle article above.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I forgot to ask about this. I loved velvet dresses. Most of my formal frocks were made of velvet. Now I can't find them and obviously don't know where to look. I would love a red velvet A line dress. I was once upon a time thinking about having one made with the family tailor when I go back.

Link me please to these magical products. 

I get mine off the racks at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales during usual times. Macy’s have them before Christmas and before prom season. Boxing Day sales were good for red dresses. Tailored dresses are still the best.

I can find this kind in different colors in store

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/tahari-sequin-long-sleeve-velvet-gown/5776314

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/aqua-embossed-paisley-velvet-dress-100-exclusive?ID=2693466

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/r-m-richards-petite-off-the-shoulder-velvet-gown

ETA:

If you have tailors that sew saris or Vietnamese/Chinese style traditional clothing in your area, they would be able to tailor made your velvet dress. I was quoted above $300 a few years ago when I asked a Vietnamese tailor.

Edited by Arcadia

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I don't think I'll ever be ready to give up my skinny jeans!  Everything else looks ridiculous on me and I do prefer wearing roomier tops.  I didn't know they are on their way out and I could never wear the styles in the Elle article above.

Same. High waisted, stretchy skinnies forever, please. My body does not want a repeat of the ‘00s with its boot cuts and short rise waistbands that constantly threaten to reveal..ummm..too much. No thanks! 

I guess it makes sense that the dreaded mom jeans are coming back, given that they were the style in the ‘90s. I honestly don’t care what other people wear but I can’t help but shake my head a little and giggle to myself when I see college girls in those horrendous, baggy, saggy jeans; I didn’t get hiding cute bodies decades ago and still don’t. To be fair, I probably just don’t notice them on people who can actually rock the look though. They must be out there somewhere.

Wouldn't it be lovely if women were actually offered all *different types* of jeans every season instead of jeans that work on only certain body types for years on end while the rest of us suffer? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Damn but you look elegant! Truly a stunning look on you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Wouldn't it be lovely if women were actually offered all *different types* of jeans every season instead of jeans that work on only certain body types for years on end while the rest of us suffer? 

Levi’s, American Eagle, Paige, Frame.  There are probably more brands with a variety of styles.

• Like 2

Just now, MEmama said:

Damn but you look elegant! Truly a stunning look on you. 

Awww, thanks. I wasn’t fishing for compliments, just pointing out that rules are meant to be broken. I plan to work with and enjoy what the good Lord gave me as long as I’m able. 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I have a back up tailor here who stitches my sari blouses. I called them, they said they do that except the price was *gulp*. I have not checked with any other tailors, your $300 price quote is a bit eye watering for him.

They recommended I do it when I go back to India. I shall be getting myself a nice A line velvet red dress made. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA:

image.png.73dda233f0b52467378378954bab2cb1.png

This is exactly the dress I want. It is $3000 plus in Neiman Marcus. For that money I can buy diamonds set in 18K or even 22K gold back home.

That is gorgeous. But if I spend $3,000 dollars on a dress, there better be a wedding! 😄

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

ETA:

image.png.73dda233f0b52467378378954bab2cb1.png

This is exactly the dress I want. It is $3000 plus in Neiman Marcus. For that money I can buy diamonds set in 18K or even 22K gold back home.

I saw that too but I could get it tailor made for less. Besides I prefer ankle length and with collar. 

like this https://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Standing-Collar-Evening-Button/dp/B07C6TJL2G

This one looks Indian even though Chinese would wear too https://www.veaul.com/affordable-chinese-style-red-evening-dresses-2019-a-line-princess-high-neck-3-4-sleeve-gold-appliques-lace-floor-length-long-ruffle-formal-dresses.html

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

That is gorgeous. But if I spend $3,000 dollars on a dress, there better be a wedding! 😄

The dress better be diamond studded and comes with free alterations. My wedding gown was tailor made and didn’t cost that much. I did wear my high school prom dress for my cousin’s wedding dinner (same month).

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, Corraleno said:

I was just looking at those and I felt the same way. In some cases, I prefer the “before” look. The woman with the turquoise blazer is a good example. I think the fitted cut of the “before” shirt is cuter than the drapey black and cream striped shirt. 

I do like the “after” above, but I love navy for clothes and wear something navy at least once every week, most often twice. But I wouldn’t buy white pants even if I won the lottery. They get FUBARed immediately and I’m very conscious of attracting attention to my bottom half. (Nothing wrong with my bottom half, it’s just not the part I want people’s eyes to draw to.) In fact, I just don’t wear light-colored bottoms much at all. 

I wouldn’t pay someone to revamp my clothing style. OTOH, I am completely happy with the clothes I wear. 

Also, I know this is a “me” thing, but I wear tights or pantyhose 100% of the time when I wear dresses or skirts. (Unless I am actually on the beach and it is a sundress.) I think bare legs looks terrible on almost all light-skinned women past their twenties. My *own* legs are NOT presentable bare, most definitely not in a professional setting, but also for church or weddings. I don’t feel attractive with bare legs and you can have my pantyhose when you pry them out of my cold, dead fingers! 😄 

Besides that, heels are torture without nylons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

It's this dress. I can't believe the price. Above $3500

Saint Laurent is pricy in general and Neiman Marcus carries quite a few pricy brands. The good thing is it is so easy to social distance in a Neiman Marcus store since they are less crowded. Even the attire at Last Call Neiman Marcus can be costly.

11 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

These are some red velvet salwars. First two look bridal to me.

https://www.utsavfashion.com/salwar/red_velvet

These two from that link are the ones I see often in my region worn by Indians and non-Indians. @MercyA@Seasider too

https://www.utsavfashion.com/product/embroidered-velvet-pakistani-suit-in-maroon-knv94

https://www.utsavfashion.com/product/embroidered-velvet-pakistani-suit-in-maroon-knv94

My middle school ex-classmate wore something like this many times https://www.utsavfashion.com/product/embroidered-velvet-punjabi-suit-in-maroon-kch5810

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 5:28 PM, Kassia said:

I checked and can't find the link to the sleeveless cardigans I have.  I bought mine at Kohl's a couple of years ago and they only seem to have a winter weight one now:  https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4491706/womens-croft-barrow-textured-minky-fleece-open-front-vest.jsp?color=Black&prdPV=16

Mine are similar to these:  https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sleeveless cardigan&cat_id=5438

I am very very self-conscious about wearing shorts because of my varicose veins.  I have ugly bulging veins all up and down both legs.  When ds1 was younger he asked why I had "blue legs."  I wear them sometimes but try to avoid them and wear carpi length leggings or jeans instead even though I know they aren't ideal as far as being flattering.  But at least they cover up my legs.  I wear dresses, too.

Same for me with the veins. Mine are mostly some version of spider veins, though I have a few that actually bulge, but I am extremely conscious of how the veins make my legs look. Some parts around my ankle look like I am permanently bruised. So all the fashionable pants meant to show off ankles are a hard no for me. Nobody needs to see my bare ankles. 

29 minutes ago, Quill said:

Same for me with the veins. Mine are mostly some version of spider veins, though I have a few that actually bulge, but I am extremely conscious of how the veins make my legs look. Some parts around my ankle look like I am permanently bruised. So all the fashionable pants meant to show off ankles are a hard no for me. Nobody needs to see my bare ankles. 

I remember you saying that in the past.  I've gotten to the point (at 53) where I will wear shorts or dresses with bare legs if it's really hot for comfort, but I'm still very self-conscious.  Pale saggy legs with bulging veins all over - not a good look!  I'll only wear longer dresses - maybe slightly above the knee, though.  Anything shorter and I'll wear capri length leggings or tights depending on the weather and occasion.  Pantyhose...I think I'm done with those.  😛  

• Like 1

I also have the vein problem. Nothing is really bulging yet, but there are some major purple blotches. One on the back of my calf really annoys me even though I can't see it -  I recognize that as an above-middle-aged woman I am largely invisible in the world, but I still feel like that big mass of purple vein looks like a target for the eye. I've thought - frivolously - of getting a tattoo there to make it into something. LOL I would never spend the $$ on a tattoo!  Anyway, everything I wear goes below mid-calf (but not maxi) 

It's kind of silly really - we shouldn't hide ourselves due to the natural processes of aging. I've embraced my white hair (gave up dying my hair for Covid) - why can't I embrace my veins too?

Of course, I also remember way back when midi-length skirts came (back) in - 80's? - and how elegant I felt the first time I put one on. I still have a love of flowy longer skirts. Not maxis. Slightly below the knee to tea length. So there is that. 

• Like 2