Menu

People don't get shot for protesting . . .

bookbard

A student in Myanmar asked his lecturer for an extension due to the coup - the internet was getting cut off, there were mass protests, people were getting shot. The Canadian lecturer refused saying he didn't know what he was talking about - "people don't get shot for protesting" . . .

Mind blown. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/canada-lecturer-myanmar-student-exam-web-blackout

• Sad 18

What a shame for that poor student who certainly doesn't need added stress in his life.  Aren't profs supposed to know how to do some research? Google the country and check out the info, buddy, before lambasting a vulnerable student. I hope that prof gets seriously called out for being completely unprofessional, lazy and plain mean.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/last-chance-bad-sign-york-profs-emails-to-student-based-in-myanmar-draw-criticism

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, wintermom said:

What a shame for that poor student who certainly doesn't need added stress in his life.  Aren't profs supposed to know how to do some research? Google the country and check out the info, buddy, before lambasting a vulnerable student. I hope that prof gets seriously called out for being completely unprofessional, lazy and plain mean.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/last-chance-bad-sign-york-profs-emails-to-student-based-in-myanmar-draw-criticism

I do find the story astonishing. We've been trying to help students who are struggling with home conditions - it's just what you do, and it's humbling to hear their situations.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Some people have lived their entire lives insulated from the reality of what happens in other parts of the world and they are OK with living like that.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

Oh my heck.

People absolutely get shot for protesting.....even here in the United States.  We're lucky here that it's usually rubber bullets, but those can still cause permanent and serious damage.

Legal observers and the media are regularly shot at....targeted....even when wearing identifying gear. It was bad enough last summer that judges had to file orders and it hit national media... https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/23/894953202/order-temporarily-blocks-feds-from-targeting-press-and-legal-observers-in-portla

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

It sounds to me like the professor was trying to make some kind of political point - at the same time as it sounds like he was completely ignorant - either of the fact that there’s a coup going on or about where his student live.  

Maybe he would get along well with our PM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It sounds to me like the professor was trying to make some kind of political point - at the same time as it sounds like he was completely ignorant - either of the fact that there’s a coup going on or about where his student live.  

I agree, on reading it sounds like he was making a political point - scary. 

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I agree, on reading it sounds like he was making a political point - scary. 

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Or he has virtually no people skills at all. 

He isn’t abiding by the university’s code of conduct 

Responsibilities of Faculty Members (Statement and Procedures)

https://secretariat-policies.info.yorku.ca/policies/responsibilities-of-faculty-members-statement-and-procedures/

1. In the performance of their professional responsibilities, faculty members shall deal fairly and ethically with their colleagues, students, and other members of the University community.”
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

What is that professor's political point about Myanmar? I don't think most people have any opinions about that country, unless they research it.

I would say his political point was not re Myanmar but about protesting. IE good protestors don't get shot, only bad ones (aka rioters). 

• Like 5

Students might not get shot for protesting in Canada (rarely), but it's been all over the news for the past two weeks that they often do in Myanmar right now (and in some cases, even people who were just going about their daily lives, which rather invalidates any protestor/rioter distinction that might have been attempted).

Has the lecturer been so snowed in with course administration that he did not know that Myanmar had a revolution that included a general internet shutdown? Or did they forgot to check where the student was from before replying? Either way, this is a pretty basic research fail.

• Like 1

When the campus where I teach shut down suddenly last March and many of the international students had to fly home several asked for extensions due to the circumstances involved.  I didn’t have the time or energy to check up on all their stories, so I just took their word for it.

If some student got an unwarranted extension on a deadline due to lying to me about being in military enforced quarantine with poor internet, well, I can live with that.  

• Like 3