Menu

Need accredited classes for private school student in crisis

I need some resources to suggest to my sister for my niece. DN is experiencing a medical crisis and will have missed all of 2nd semester of 11th grade at her private school. Sister just met with the school and they’ve agreed to allow her to move up to 12th grade with her class in the fall as long as she completes an accredited 2nd semester English course (can be anything that is considered 11th grade English— creative writing, literature, English 11, etc.) and a 2nd semester of Pre-Calculus.

She’s a brilliant reader/writer and would have no difficulty jumping into English mid-stream, but I think it would be super hard for her to try to take only 2nd semester of pre-Calculus, so I think she’ll need a full-year math course. Non-honors, get-‘er-done is preferred. 

Must be asynchronous classes that can begin at anytime. Must be from regionally accredited source. Price doesn’t matter. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance for your help. Sister is is total crisis mode, so I’m trying to take this off her plate. 

This sounds like this will be reliant on what the private school *accepts* as "accredited". You mentioned "regionally accredited source". I would be sure to aggressively go after the private school to get a signature on the outsourced course that they WILL accept the outsourced provider credits AS credit BEFORE signing up. 

The other problem is finding ANY online providers that accept students in mid-semester (so she can finish the needed credits this spring) -- most online classes in-the-midst are booked, or don't accept mid-stream new students. It may also be problematic finding an online provider that offers summer classes (so she can finish the needed credits as summer school) -- many only offer traditional school year schedules.

OR... is the school saying they will allow her to complete those credits IN THE FALL, along with her private school courses?

BTW, to help others help you, here's the list of Regional Accreditors:

- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools 
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

ETA 
If money is no object, would the private school allow her to work with a private tutor to complete the school's coursework, so the school could then award credit?

Edited by Lori D.

8 minutes ago, stripe said:

Clonlara has one semester options for their high school online program 

https://clonlara.org/our-programs/online-program/

They would likely be able to figure out if this will work if you contact them with specifics.

Duh! I only live an hour from them and I completely forgot about Clonlara. Great suggestion!

5 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

This sounds like this will be reliant on what the private school *accepts* as "accredited". You mentioned "regionally accredited source". I would be sure to aggressively go after the private school to get a signature on the outsourced course that they WILL accept the outsourced provider credits AS credit BEFORE signing up. 

The other problem is finding ANY online providers that accept students in mid-semester (so she can finish the needed credits this spring) -- most online classes in-the-midst are booked, or don't accept mid-stream new students. It may also be problematic finding an online provider that offers summer classes (so she can finish the needed credits as summer school) -- many only offer traditional school year schedules.

OR... is the school saying they will allow her to complete those credits IN THE FALL, along with her private school courses?

BTW, to help others help you, here's the list of Regional Accreditors:

- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools 
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

ETA 
If money is no object, would the private school allow her to work with a private tutor to complete the school's coursework, so the school could then award credit?

Excellent thoughts. I’ll sort through and make some calls for her. 

They specifically said it must be an accredited course and transcripted by the source, no tutor.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Sad 2

Laurel Springs are rather flexible on start dates and you can finish faster than planned or pay for an extension if more time is needed. While the assigned teachers do help if asked, it’s still more of a self study mode. 

Would she be able to take the end of year English exam and get credit since English is her strength? If she can get credit by exam for math, I would opt for a math tutor instead of a mainly self study class.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Laurel Springs are rather flexible on start dates and you can finish faster than planned or pay for an extension if more time is needed. While the assigned teachers do help if asked, it’s still more of a self study mode. 

Would she be able to take the end of year English exam and get credit since English is her strength? If she can get credit by exam for math, I would opt for a math tutor instead of a mainly self study class.

I’ll check Laurel Springs. No, they won’t allow her to test out of it. Has to complete the courses. Sigh.

• Sad 2

I'd think about the goal here. "Accredited" has zero to do with quality. Basically she needs to get this done and mostly over the summer, right? Does she want something that's decent or just the easiest thing possible? Because the easiest thing possible is probably something like Apex or Pearson. I think I'd be careful if she's the sort of kid who needs tasks to have meaning. But otherwise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'd think about the goal here. "Accredited" has zero to do with quality. Basically she needs to get this done and mostly over the summer, right? Does she want something that's decent or just the easiest thing possible? Because the easiest thing possible is probably something like Apex or Pearson. I think I'd be careful if she's the sort of kid who needs tasks to have meaning. But otherwise.

Honestly, she just needs to get it done. But, you raise a salient point. This is a child who reads the existentialists for pleasure. I think any/all high school classes are fairly meaningless to her; in fact, that’s part of the problem 🙁.  I’ll be somewhat surprised if my sister can motivate her to plug along to finish these credits. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll take a look. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fourisenough said:

No, they won’t allow her to test out of it. Has to complete the courses. Sigh.

3 hours ago, fourisenough said:

. I think any/all high school classes are fairly meaningless to her; in fact, that’s part of the problem 🙁.  I’ll be somewhat surprised if my sister can motivate her to plug along to finish these credits. 

School for Independent Learners. It is a private school based in Los Altos, California but they are doing one to one Zoom classes because of Covid19. So they can be a lot more flexible. They state that they are WASC-Accredited. They are on the pricier side.

https://sileducation.org

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I thought they only did the full-transcript, not individual courses??? Or has that changed?

I was going to mention the American School and there is also another one like that. One is in the "Chicagoland" area and one is in Pennsylvania as I recall. I believe both of them are regionally accredited.   They may have courses of a higher level available in addition to their basic level courses.

• Like 1

TTU-K12 (formerly TTUISD) has rules which may have changed since my DD was there. She began in Middle School as a Supplemental Student and was not enrolled during Middle school.   As I recall, they had a minimum of 30 days for a semester course to be completed. A proctor was required for Final exams.

My DD is a graduate of Texas Tech University High School.

You mentioned Pre Calc and I strongly believe that is an important course if your Niece plans to take Calc in a college or university. My DD took that.    I think it was 2 semesters?

Regarding English, I don't remember which grade she was in then (she's a 4th semester student in UNC now) but I do remember asking her some years ago, "Which is your favorite course?" and her reply was, "I can't believe I am going to say this, but it is English"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Honestly, she just needs to get it done. But, you raise a salient point. This is a child who reads the existentialists for pleasure. I think any/all high school classes are fairly meaningless to her; in fact, that’s part of the problem 🙁.  I’ll be somewhat surprised if my sister can motivate her to plug along to finish these credits. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll take a look. 

With that in mind... might the school be willing to consider summer dual enrollment instead? I find that getting college credits often helps the mental barrier to taking things seriously in high school.

If she needs something with a little more oomph, then UC Scout maybe? But if she finds that school feels meaningless in general, I doubt a cruddy online vs. a decent online course is going to make much difference.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Will they accept a Dual Enrollment class?  There are many online providers that are reasonably priced and it will be for college credit, too!  

I’ll have my sister ask. Can you recommend any online sources of DE for me to look into?

Grand Canyon university has DE classes that are 7 weeks long. Registration can be a pain and takes a while but if she needs it urgently, I will just advise her to get on them frequently. Also ASU has a DE thing that you can register for a course and after taking it, if you want credit you then pay $400 but you only pay $25 to register. All the best. 

• Like 1

ASU Digital is one dual enrollment source that's asynchronous. If they're willing to wait until summer and take a synchronous course, then they could just do their local community college. You can get cheaper among a lot of the Christian colleges, but I don't have the impression that the quality is great.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Their math instruction sucks, imo. Ds is Using their algebra 1 right now because virtual school requires it and it is not great.

We have used FLVS for AP Macro and Physics Honors. The "teaching" in these courses is laughable; it's more like you teach yourself.

Also, the student gets chapters of the "e-book" in modules and can't access the whole ebook at one time. Then there are the DBA phone calls from the teacher which are like oral quizzes. Have I mentioned they link to places like YouTube for deeper explanations?!  I don't recommend FLVS. However, a friend's DD used it for Spanish 1&2 and got an A and B respectively, though she didn't know very much Spanish at the end of Spanish 2.

• Like 1

You can take a look at Liberty University Online Academy for an English &/or Pre-Calc. class for your niece -- they have regular high school and also dual enrollment (both asychnronous). We have used a DE course via LUOA and it was actually really good and it transferred without issues to DD's university (our state flagship).

Edited by BookwormTo2
added pre-calc
  • Like 1

I like the CLEP idea for English, since the OP's niece is a good writer. My DD, also a good writer, took the English w/ essay CLEP and passed easily. But for a math CLEP, it depends. If the school would accept College Algebra CLEP in lieu of a 2nd semester pre-calculus class, then I think an average math student in the middle of Pre-Calc for high school could pass College Algebra CLEP with study. I don't have kids who took the Pre-Calculus CLEP, so I can't comment on that, but I think I've seen people post on here about their kids passing the Pre-Calc CLEP.

• Like 2