Menu

If your vaccine tier is open, have you been able to get the shot?

mommyoffive

Tiers vary from state to state. Texas decided not to follow CDC guidelines and took essential workers out of 1b. I was fortunate to still qualify for 1b because of my BMI. Austin Public Health has been working with local school districts to get vaccines for teachers who are 1b and I was able to get my first Moderna shot last week that way.

1 hour ago, AngieW in Texas said:

Tiers vary from state to state. Texas decided not to follow CDC guidelines and took essential workers out of 1b. I was fortunate to still qualify for 1b because of my BMI. Austin Public Health has been working with local school districts to get vaccines for teachers who are 1b and I was able to get my first Moderna shot last week that way.

Same in Florida - it is healthcare, over 65, and medically vulnerable. Not teachers, not essential workers.  First time I've ever regretted my bariatric surgery - my old BMI would have qualified me under medically vulnerable. 

On 2/14/2021 at 5:50 AM, Soror said:

Yes, I signed up for my MIL she wouldn't been able to do it on her own. The slots for the first mass vaccination clinic lasted a day or so, mostly due to it being hard to sign up I'm sure. They did much better with the follow up shorts after some snafus. Our area had the first mass vaccination clinic in the state so of course there was my wrinkles to iron out. 

I went on the vaccine registration portal for my state but it wanted to put me in the next tier because I'm in Education. Now, I teach ESL online so I'm obviously not actually supposed to be in that tier so I exited out of the system and stopped the registration process. I won't be eligible until it is open to everyone. I expect that vaccine reluctance will be high here due to the leanings of the political majority so I don't think it will be hard to get it once eligible, but we'll see.

Our next tier is opening next month and it seems like it has the same set up here.  All educators and child care all the way up to higher ed.  It says virtual learning support too. 

My second brother (63, slim, heart disease well controlled) is in group 6 and was called in for his jab today.  His wife is in group 7 and hasn't been called yet, neither has my husband, also in group 7.  Again, he was contacted directly rather than having to find his own appointment - received a text from his GP, and had the jab in a tent in the GP practice garden.  Ten booths, very little waiting.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-care-home-and-healthcare-settings-posters/covid-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

On 2/15/2021 at 11:04 AM, JennyD said:

My county (in TN) seems quite organized and is only opening relatively narrow tiers -- both age-based and profession/risk based -- in accordance with how much vaccine is actually available.  My parents were able to get vaccinated with not much trouble shortly after slots were released for those 75+, which was right after healthcare workers and first responders.  The county just moved to 70+ and K-12 teachers, the latter of whom will get vaccinated through a dedicated process; public school teachers will go to one hospital and private school teachers will be vaccinated at another.  DH and I won't be eligible until far later in the rollout, when our age groups come up.

In contrast, my elderly inlaws live in NJ, where the eligibility criteria is far broader, and we can't get them appointments anywhere.  

Vermont has been doing similar narrow bands. First was the healthcare workers/first responders/nursing home residents. It's been strictly age based since. First up was 75+, then 70-74. 65+ will be opening in a week or so and then pre-existing conditions. They've been able to move pretty quickly through the bands and they're not opening a band up until they have the ability to schedule every person in that band. It's, thankfully, been smooth. 

This is what the website looks like today: 

image.thumb.png.e881f98f5ff3690568d0b5b07718050a.png

• Like 1

My tier is open but I haven't signed up. I contacted my doctor to see if I could, but then I saw what a mess it is in our county. All the shots were gone and nursing home residents were still not fully vaccinated, the scheduling was a mess, and we were going out of town for a few weeks which would mean I may miss the call anyway, so I'm waiting. I qualify with medical conditions, but I can stay home and am otherwise healthy and low risk. I'm going to wait until the elderly have and 1a people have actually gotten shots before trying to get in line. 

My parents in another state got theirs quickly and easily. They're older with health issues, but it seems their system was much more organized. Or maybe they had more shots and less demand?

• Like 1

We are still a way out from having anyone in our household eligible. But I am confused. I have read where doctors have said that by April supply is going to be exceeding demand. That suggests that anyone who wants one should be able to get one in the next two months. 

I live in an area that is anti-vax even pre Covid and people here have not taken the virus seriously. Yet we still can’t get it to all the 70+ crowd that wants it and we haven’t started with teachers who is the next phase. I can’t get my brain around how things are so slow now yet in two months there is going to be an excess. I want to be wrong but I just can’t see it. 

10 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

We are still a way out from having anyone in our household eligible. But I am confused. I have read where doctors have said that by April supply is going to be exceeding demand. That suggests that anyone who wants one should be able to get one in the next two months. 

I live in an area that is anti-vax even pre Covid and people here have not taken the virus seriously. Yet we still can’t get it to all the 70+ crowd that wants it and we haven’t started with teachers who is the next phase. I can’t get my brain around how things are so slow now yet in two months there is going to be an excess. I want to be wrong but I just can’t see it. 

At first Fauci said that in April it would be open to everyone, but that it would take a few months do get through everyone. 

But he has now pushed back his timeline and said that he thinks it will be open to everyone in May or June.  Again I am bet he is thinking that it will take months to get through everyone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I'm with you on not being hopeful about that April supply claim. Because things happen. One is that this storm is going to push any timetable back because shipments are delayed. Clinics had to be cancelled in many areas.  Maybe production lines were stalled due to weather.

I'm a teacher and I'm scheduled for Monday but the shipment didn't arrive. I said all along I'd be surprised if I see it before spring, but it could still happen. 

I think the only thing that dramatically improves the scenario is approval of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. It's a single shot and stays stable in regular refrigeration.

• Like 2

I had an email this morning that my phase had opened up, and was able to get an appointment, but I had to travel to the next county to get it. About a half-hour away. I was glad to do it. There were a couple of sites very near our house, but all those slots were full.

• Like 3

The way the state is doing this doesn't make any sense to me.  Detroit is vaccinating anyone with ADHD, autism, hearing and vision disorders, and a list of other disabilities regardless of age.  Some counties are limited to 65+, some 60+.  Some only allow those that live in that county, some allow those that work there, others allow anyone.  Some allow essential workers under a specific definition, some require ID from particular jobs.  Private health systems, and private practices are using their own lists for their patients.  Big private companies are partnering with health systems and prioritizing personnel. I know a jab is a jab in the grand scheme of helping curb this, but I just thought there would be more uniformity to the process.  Anyway, DH is now fully vaccinated via his company.  I got a surprise phone call on Wednesday afternoon asking if I was available to come in right away as they had vaccine and were looking for arms. I got a shot I wasn't expecting for months yet.

• Like 3

They reshuffled some of our tiers and DH went from 1b to like 4A. I'm even lower on the phases.  We really want to get vaxxed before DH's refueling outage because their are just so many hundreds maybe even thousands of contractors brought in.  So we are planning to go to our mass vaccination site at the end of the day and hope to get a leftover shot.  They say they have about 10% no shows each day.  They do phase eligible people first and than anyone so they don't waste the shots.

They did basically every teacher who qualified yesterday, mostly in pop up events. One neat thing is that I walked out with an appointment for my next vaccine, same day of the week, same time, 21 days apart to the day, which apparently isn't super common in my area. I had several friends who were able to get their first vaccine because some of the teacher pop up events that school districts held had extra, and they got a phone call or a text to come in. Unfortunately, DH wasn't able to take advantage of it, and they weren't vaccinating 16-17 yr olds, even though the vaccine events yesterday all seemed to be Pfizer, so the rest of my family will have to wait a bit.

• Like 2

K-12 teachers are 1b in TN. I am 1b because I tutor in person students with a non-profit. I would otherwise be 1c as a diabetic.

What tiers are open depends on the county here. 1b is not open in my county, but it is is many counties within an hour’s drive. 

I signed up online, the county replied by email, then a call to schedule an appointment. Got my shot drive-through style and an appt. for the second one, a month out exactly. 

Not hard at all, once I knew what to do and the weather improved. Nothing happens here when it snows. 

• Like 2